Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial Yeti

Notices

Thread: Life of one YETI - Tom Frajer's Axial Yeti build log

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2016, 11:04 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Life of one YETI - Tom Frajer's Axial Yeti build log

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedo View Post
I had the stock rod ends pull out on the steering servo link the first day I had mine out. The kit had some longer rod ends so I put those on and they are holding up well. Just an FYI if you encounter the same problem with your servo link.
Thanks!
TomFrajer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-2016, 02:48 AM   #82
Quarry Creeper

This is my last session with Yeti. In the dust

Old 07-11-2016, 04:58 AM   #83
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomFrajer
20 minutes hard bashig in the dusty environement. Finished with broken rod end on servo horn link. Rear stock bevel gear stripped and probably bent currie axle shaft. Oooops

Those plastic rod ends are really weak spots in whole setup. Hope RPM rod ends will hold up better.
thats why i will stay with servo saver in my stearing as long as i will mostly bash my yeti.
what would have broken instead of the rod end may be your servo
if i will change my stearing i will go with the adjustable setup from hot racing.
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 05:53 AM   #84
Quarry Creeper

What I plan to do with bent rear axle shafts? Well, I'm going to order titanium replacement and hope they will never bend again!

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axles...ml#post3870075
Old 07-11-2016, 12:03 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
thats why i will stay with servo saver in my stearing as long as i will mostly bash my yeti.
what would have broken instead of the rod end may be your servo
if i will change my stearing i will go with the adjustable setup from hot racing.
I hope strong servo can handle any impact and nothing will break. I can take the risk. I like sharp steering without any slop.
Old 07-12-2016, 12:19 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Just ordered:

Titanium rear axle shafts for my Currie
Strong Arms RC Stage 3 upgrade
Team KNK Stainless Hardware KIT for Yeti

BIG Thanks to CREEPERBOB for collecting those items for me and sending them in one package to my location in Czech Republic! This is supercool
Old 07-13-2016, 01:52 AM   #87
Quarry Creeper

More goodies! Cannot wait to put them in!
Speed of delivery was amazing. Ordered Thursday 7th, Shipped Friday 8th and Wednesday 13th I'm holding this in my hands overseas in Czech Republic. Simply unbelievable!

UPDATE: I know lot of people have complains to Integy, but... Vanquish does not make these, nor STRC. I had to choose between Integy or some chineese... Hope these will last as they are not performance parts with heavy stress relying on them. We will se...

Last edited by TomFrajer; 07-14-2016 at 01:10 AM.
Old 07-13-2016, 05:18 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Just ordered FastEddy ceramic bearings kit for Yeti + one standard FastEddy sealed bearings kit to have spares...
Old 07-13-2016, 08:28 AM   #89
Quarry Creeper

Edward from FastEddyBearings.com is supercool. I forgot to order four pieces of 5x8x2.5 Rubber Sealed Bearing MR85-2RS for my double sheer steering rack and he added those to my order free of charge
Old 07-14-2016, 12:03 AM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Rear axle is clean and back together again. New Axial heavy duty bevel is on place together with Incision locker...

Experiment number two. I used thick teflon grease. It should stay on place at least :-D We will se after few runs...

This is very cool thing for installation of some bearings that wont get in or on. Just freeze inner part to -65 C (-85 F) and it snaps right into the place.

This is what I use for screwing out glued screws (at this time most of the screws in my car - all metal to metal connections). Heat it up little bit and glue give it up. No stripped heads...

Now to the front. This is what I found after 2 days from last run. Silicone grease gave up for sure and pissed out of where it had to be :-D

But still some stayed on place...

New Integy bulkhead...

All gears assembled into new bulkhead. Everything cleaned and differential refilled with 500k oil. My plan was to install heavy duty bevel gear from boom racing but I ran into problems. Already have 2 chineese bevels in my box for trashed parts. Next time ONLY Axial HD bevel gears are allowed in my car!

And mounted back into the Yeti..

Im little confused by this hole in the lower front of the bulkhead (note the white spot as light goes through). Not sure if this is fore purporse or some inconpatibility with Vanquish skidplate. Im pretty sure that stock bulkhead did not had this. This opens way for water and dirt to get in. We will see next time when I disassemble it.

Old 07-14-2016, 01:08 AM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Ordered two bevel gears to have complete set of standard, UD, OD to experiment with. Now I have overdrive in the rear and standard in the front. This was not my intention as I was planning to put overdrive in the fron too, but BOOM... Boom racing OD bevel is piece of shit miles away from good fit. Once these arrive I will swap and try favorite combinations of OD/F + ST/R and ST/F + UD/R and OD/F + UD/R. Will try all of these just to compare, experiment and stick with what will fit my crazy driving style :-D

HD standard (38/13) AX30395
HD underdrive (43/13) AX30402

UPDATE: I decided to go with 2x HD underdrive (43/13) AX30402 - both in front and rear. I will use larger motor pinion gear to compensate for lost speed. Reson for this is that it should lower torque twist and take some stress of drivetrain. I'm not crawling so I will not experiment with diferent gear ratios in front/rear.

Last edited by TomFrajer; 07-19-2016 at 01:22 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #92
Rock Crawler

Couple recommendations for ya. Try marine grease for your gears. Be careful with mixing up your gears, especially the way you enjoy your rig. The ud/od gear combos are for slow technical crawling not bashing. I did this to gain some tight turning in my scx10 but wouldn't do it in my yeti. Your HV500 can take care of steering. The servo steering link issue can be remedied by making your own link pretty easy with all thread and rod ends. The cute little link axial provides will keep breaking/pulling out on you. How are you liking the extra rear shock? It didn't work too well for me but I realized I should've used lower wt oil after I removed them. If your running 30wt oil in each one you essentially have 60wt in each side. Last thing, 3S all day.lol Nice build!!
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:12 AM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for your tips, I really apreciate that. After reading some more on override/underride thing I'm pretty sure I will go with underdriven both front and rear + compensate for lost speed by larger pinion (18t or 19t). What do you think about this? I would love to hear your opinion.

Extra rear shocks are OK, but I had to readjust all rear shocks for maximal travel as now I have them dialed shorter and they are too stiff all together. I think this will help and I will keep this setup. If not, I will try 20wt oil in all of them. What I like is that force is divided among 4 shocks and that make it more bombproof I think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftauto View Post
Couple recommendations for ya. Try marine grease for your gears. Be careful with mixing up your gears, especially the way you enjoy your rig. The ud/od gear combos are for slow technical crawling not bashing. I did this to gain some tight turning in my scx10 but wouldn't do it in my yeti. Your HV500 can take care of steering. The servo steering link issue can be remedied by making your own link pretty easy with all thread and rod ends. The cute little link axial provides will keep breaking/pulling out on you. How are you liking the extra rear shock? It didn't work too well for me but I realized I should've used lower wt oil after I removed them. If your running 30wt oil in each one you essentially have 60wt in each side. Last thing, 3S all day.lol Nice build!!

Last edited by TomFrajer; 07-15-2016 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-15-2016, 02:03 AM   #94
Pebble Pounder

Man those vanquish curries are gorgeous! If your rear shocks are too hard, perhaps removing one set of springs may help your situation. My one step harder axial springs in my yeti work absolute wonders, and hold the truck up nicely. If it rebounds too fast either drop one set of springs, or run softer springs on both. Id assume the oil wouldn't double in at, but more so the fact you have more shock piston area slowing you down. I suppose you could do the easy thing and drop fluid weight but I wouldn't do a drastic drop. Aside from the good looks of dual shocks, I would personally drop big bore 1/8 scale buggy shocks in and fine tune from there. Either way, the truck looks like it's coming along nicely and I'm very jealous lol
Ty1330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:14 AM   #95
Rock Crawler

I'm running a 19T pinion with stock spur, HD gears, rtr motor/esc with a fan for each on 3S. I constantly check the temp if I run it on hot days. Its plenty fast for me @ this point but I'll prob throw a smaller spur gear in it after the summer is over. My rig is pretty heavy with all the AL upgrades I've put on it but I run it with confidence every time it goes out.
shiftauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 05:57 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

New RPM rod ends. Both shorter and longer. We will see how they hold up the abuse...

Last edited by TomFrajer; 07-15-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Lot of work done today! This Integy piece did not fit well onto Vanquish shock tower. I had to file one or the other. Obviously I choose to file Integy, not Vanquish

And here we go! Shock tower back on the new bulkhead...

Front Integy bumper installed. I hope I will not bend it. Will have to drive carefully

Springs in the bumper, cool!

Detail of the springs.

Different angle. I really like how it looks!

A arms and links back on the place...

Last edited by TomFrajer; 07-15-2016 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Rebuild of transmission. Last thing I did not touched on my car yet...

Integy goes in. I know this brand is not best, but I like how it looks. It is just a casing, should hold up well I think... I laso put my Robinson Racing idler in.

Added some teflon grease. It is really THICK and shouls stay on gears much better than anything else...

Finished

More work to be done.

Gearing moved into the new house...

Some teflon grease goes in...

Assembled!

Spur gear goes on...

And whole assembly back into the car...

Cover on. Looking good, isn't it? Motor wil have to wait for tommorow...

It looks freakin' cool!

Old 07-16-2016, 01:13 AM   #99
RCC Addict

Nice work.
I was thinking about the bumper with the springs, but then i decided to stay with stock and ordered the CI Bumper Foam. I'm interested how it will look after some abuse .

the transmission is the only thing i'm not rebuild after first build, cause i have a screw problem....
Have to drill it out will do this next days.
is the integy case prepared for 2-Speed Option?

Gesendet von meinem T1-A21L mit Tapatalk
magic_yeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:25 PM   #100
Quarry Creeper

Not sure with two speed on Integy transmission, but probably not. I do not plan two speed as sensored HH motor is OK even in low speed on minimum throttle - no cogging at all. Anyway I'm mostly blastin' around on full throttle :-D

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_yeti View Post
Nice work.
I was thinking about the bumper with the springs, but then i decided to stay with stock and ordered the CI Bumper Foam. I'm interested how it will look after some abuse .

the transmission is the only thing i'm not rebuild after first build, cause i have a screw problem....
Have to drill it out will do this next days.
is the integy case prepared for 2-Speed Option?

Gesendet von meinem T1-A21L mit Tapatalk

Life of one YETI - Tom Frajer's Axial Yeti build log - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tom G’s RedBull Yeti Tom G Axial Yeti 3 07-05-2016 08:45 PM
Yeti, Set, GO!!! FastEddy Bearings for the Axial Yeti FastEddy Axial Yeti 13 04-21-2015 07:33 AM
Yeti Located - Axial Yeti bashing eunique Scale Videos! 0 02-12-2015 08:42 AM
Yeti Located - Axial Yeti bashing eunique Scale Videos! 0 01-09-2015 02:10 AM