Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Carry Gun Caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2010, 10:03 PM   #61
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
you may dig into that more, once you move out of Nebraska your Nebraska permit might not be valid. I did a quick search but couldn't find out if Nebraska issues non resident permits.
Already made 5 phone calls trying to figure that out. I keep getting "ummmm"s and "we will get back to you's
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #62
RCC Addict

Does anyone know a good website to look at ballistics of different ammunitions?
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #63
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Jester View Post
Dig up some of our old threads on guns in here. Me and JIA have posted some charts before
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 10:54 PM   #64
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
Dig up some of our old threads on guns in here. Me and JIA have posted some charts before
thanks kenny
Old 06-24-2010, 11:01 PM   #65
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
thanks kenny
I'll go look for some info as well for ya.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:16 AM   #66
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
10mm is a AWESOME round! To bad so many people looked over that round. The ballistics are sick with that round! If there was a compact version of it I would have one!
Kenny, the glock 29 is a sub compact 10mm if you have any interest

my carry weapon is a glock 36

Last edited by Wicked_Jester; 06-25-2010 at 05:18 AM.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:16 AM   #67
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
The ammuntion manufacturer usually put out all the ballistics on their ammo which can be found on their website. There is also some good info on Wiki with some ballistics, history of the round, dimensions, size comparisons and etc.

.357 sig as an example
http://www.federalpremium.com/produc...un.aspx?id=328
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.357_SIG
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #68
Rock Crawler

Here are the pistols and rifles

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Just click on your caliber for the info

Last edited by JIA's Dad; 06-25-2010 at 11:05 AM.
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:52 AM   #69
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Kenny, the glock 29 is a sub compact 10mm if you have any interest

my carry weapon is a glock 36
Yea, I have a G27 and it's to small for my hands so it belongs to the wife now I carry a compact G32 357Sig. I haven't seen a sub or compact 10mm in this town for years!
Old 06-25-2010, 11:19 AM   #70
I wanna be Dave

My every day carry piece is a Bersa Thunder .380. It's a knock-off of a Walther PPK, and is a very reliable and fairly accurate, yet still comfortable piece to carry in my front pocket. For winter carry, I have a Kimber .45acp. I prefer a round that isn't as likely to penetrate several walls of a house.

Besides, if it goes bang, and you're able to use it properly*, I don't care what caliber it is, it will end the threat 99.9% of the time.

*By use it properly, I don't just mean that you can shoot. I have been in situations on 3 different occaisions where I've had to pull my weapon in order to diffuse the situation, but I have yet to discharge the weapon in such a situation. The mere sight of it, ended all threat and sent the assailants on their way.

As for those questioning people who carry a gun, I always liked the following explanation:

"Robert A. Heinlein wrote that an armed society is a polite society. The common perception is that armed societies were polite because an act of rudeness might evolve into a duel, as portrayed in Dumas' The Three Musketeers. The real reason, though, is the mindset and psychology that come with responsible weapon ownership. The knight's sword was a symbol of his duty to protect weaker members of society and behave chivalrously, e.g. with respect and courtesy to women, elderly people, and so on. The sword was the soul of the Japanese samurai, a constant reminder of the samurai's duty and code of behavior. The sword was a symbol of taking responsibility, not only for one's self, but usually for others."

I live in an area in which a much larger than average number of people carry concealed. I know that there is a group of us that occaisionally meet at the local gas station for coffee in the morning. There are typically 5 or 6 of us that all carry. You know what? That gas station has never been held up...ever. Granted, there is a very low rate of violent crime in my area, but I'd be willing to bet that the fact that a great percentage of the population own guns and know how to use them has a great impact on that fact.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:30 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

While looking for more ballistics, I ran across some interesting reading on tissue damage. This is not for the squeamish. Actually some of it is gross.

http://library.med.utah.edu/WebPath/...NS/GUNINJ.html
JIA's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:11 PM   #72
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Ok, so from what I am seeing...the .357 SIG round has the same case dimensions (as far as diameter and behind the neckdown), and is nearly the exact overall length as the .40 S&W. I just can't see why I would need a conversion barrel for a round that has nearly the exact dimensions minus the neckdown & actual projectile. The barrel would be the same ID for both rounds. Am I missing something?

I realize the .357 round is "hotter" than the .40 which might mean ejection issues if the recoil spring was not meant for the hot rounds or the barrel was weak...but it is an XDm with the match barrel which should be fine with that.

Looking at those balistics, it would be nice to be able to shoot the .357 SIG round.

EDIT: Well after doing a bit of looking, it seems there are numerous "drop-in" .357 conversion barrels for the XDM and are +/- $130...that's not bad.

Last edited by Offroader5; 06-25-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:41 PM   #73
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
you may dig into that more, once you move out of Nebraska your Nebraska permit might not be valid. I did a quick search but couldn't find out if Nebraska issues non resident permits.

Got the answers today. According to the NE State Patrol, anyone who possesses a Nebraska CC permit will have no issues transferring it to Missouri. Those who possess a Missouri CC permit have to re-apply in the state of Nebraska. I am still waiting for Missouri's answer to this question.

As far as which firearm, I am leaning towards the Ruger LCP with a laser grip. I am not a big guy so I need a smaller size to conceal more easily. I fired one today over lunch and it felt good and you can't beat a fully loaded weight of less then 13 ounces
Eritex Inc. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:36 PM   #74
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I just can't see why I would need a conversion barrel for a round that has nearly the exact dimensions minus the neckdown & actual projectile. The barrel would be the same ID for both rounds. Am I missing something?
The brass needs to fit into the chamber like a glove. If the brass isn't supported properly it will blow out when you fire the gun.

Quote:
Remember a .22 in your pocket will be a LOT more helpful than a .45 in your dresser at home.
The more I think about the above sentence the more I think maybe an LCP sized gun may be the best for me to start out with. Can always get something larger later.

Also I found a .22 Mag auto hangun, has a 30rd mag.
http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/pmr30.htm

Last edited by dkf; 06-25-2010 at 04:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:52 PM   #75
Rock Stacker

wow some of you guys are just plain stupid ..but on topic my favorite carry gun is my gen1 sig sauer 229sas in 40, the doubble action only trigger was hard to get used to but its buttery smouth due to sig's d.a.k. trigger i carry this guy just about every day i'm 125 lbs soaking wet and could hide it any where on my body even wearing shorts and a wife beater.only down fall is its a bit heavy when compared to plastic frame guns and it does not have any sort of saftey witch i like, but scares most people..but if you can't afford a 1,000$$ hand gun, i would recommend any glock they are great guns at a fair price , the caliber and size is up to you they make a glock for every one weather you like big 45's or tiny 9's go check them out, i just got a glock 36 its no sig. or h&k but it fits in the tiny spot on the arm of my chair and works every time i pull the trigger. I love guns ..have fun
CustomCrawlerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:57 PM   #76
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
The brass needs to fit into the chamber like a glove. If the brass isn't supported properly it will blow out when you fire the gun.
A .357 Sig round is a .40 case necked down to a .357. So the rear is the same size. Thats why you can put .357 Sig rounds in a .40 magazine. There are many companies that sell drop in barrels for .40's. The ballistics on the .357 Sig are much better than a .40. A .357 Sig doesn't kick more so to say it just has more of a snap or pop if you will. You can think of a .357 Sig like this this..... it has more speed than a 9mm, the knock down of a .45 and doesnt over penatrate. MagSafe make a NASTY round for the .357 Sig that is just unreal! MagSafe rounds are used by Air Marshals and SWAT teams. That rounds won't go through your walls and kill a neighbor because of how they are made.

On another note as far as the 357 Sig goes in my Glock 32.... Mine is a Compact. Glock makes 3 sizes, full size-compact-sub compact. I have a 13rd magazine with one in the pipe for 14rd's! You can add a +2 to the magazine to be able to carry16rd's! In the full size your looking at 15 in the mag and one in the pipe or add the extention and have a total of 18rd's! More than enough
Old 06-25-2010, 05:03 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

On the topic of Glocks, I highly recommend that anybody considering their first Glock spend as much time holding one as possible, and if they can put a couple hundred rounds through one before they buy. Other than the new .45's that the local Sheriff's dept had blow up on them, the Glock has typically been a reliable gun, however, they don't fit everybody's hand so well.

I, personally, don't like the feel of their grip and I hate the feel of thier trigger. That's just a personal opinion, though, and if considering one, spend the time and get to know if its for you or not before buying it.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 05:12 PM   #78
dkf
Rock Crawler

Quote:
A .357 Sig round is a .40 case necked down to a .357. So the rear is the same size. Thats why you can put .357 Sig rounds in a .40 magazine. There are many companies that sell drop in barrels for .40's.
I understand the physical dimensions are very similar between the .357 and the .40. However the barrel is reamed to support the neck on the .357. He was wondering why he can't throw a .357 in a .40 and call it good.
Old 06-25-2010, 05:15 PM   #79
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offroader5 View Post
Ok, so from what I am seeing...the .357 SIG round has the same case dimensions (as far as diameter and behind the neckdown), and is nearly the exact overall length as the .40 S&W. I just can't see why I would need a conversion barrel for a round that has nearly the exact dimensions minus the neckdown & actual projectile. The barrel would be the same ID for both rounds. Am I missing something?

I realize the .357 round is "hotter" than the .40 which might mean ejection issues if the recoil spring was not meant for the hot rounds or the barrel was weak...but it is an XDm with the match barrel which should be fine with that.

Looking at those balistics, it would be nice to be able to shoot the .357 SIG round.

EDIT: Well after doing a bit of looking, it seems there are numerous "drop-in" .357 conversion barrels for the XDM and are +/- $130...that's not bad.
also the necks on the casing would split making the brass un-reloadible The brass is the expensive part of the bullet. And the projectile would flow down the barrel right!
Old 06-25-2010, 05:23 PM   #80
RCC Addict

I'm not a big fan of the 9mm, but I'd have to say the nicest carry gun I owned was a H&K P7M13. It can be picky with ammo, though. I never had a problem feeding Hydra Shok ammo through it. I liked the squeeze cocker action and the fact it was very concealable. The P7 series has been OOP for a few years now, but you can still find the P7M8 for about $700.
I wish I still had it, but traded it in for a S&W 4506. I guess I went from one extreme to another....
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote