Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Carry Gun Caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2010, 05:46 PM   #81
JSN
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
He was wondering why he can't throw a .357 in a .40 and call it good.

BAD...REALLY BAD idea... the 357sig like the 40 short and weak is a HIGH CUP round... you will blowout the case and very, very likley KB the gun.

Chamber presure is a funny bitch... properly contained within the chamber it's all good... let some leak out of the case and bad things happen.

I was one of the lucky ones to get some SHITTY federal .40 S&W loads before they realized the case web needed to be thicker...yep Glock Grenade blew out the ejector and mag... hot gas went through the trigger guard and burned my finger a bit and the case(what was left) had to be dug out of the chamber... it could have been MUCH worse... I still shoot the same G-40 today

to give you an idea of what could happen...pay no mind to the chamber support BS... just look at the pictures
http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/kb-notes.html
JSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #82
Picky Fab'r/Acetal Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
The brass needs to fit into the chamber like a glove. If the brass isn't supported properly it will blow out when you fire the gun.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
A .357 Sig round is a .40 case necked down to a .357. So the rear is the same size. Thats why you can put .357 Sig rounds in a .40 magazine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf View Post
I understand the physical dimensions are very similar between the .357 and the .40. However the barrel is reamed to support the neck on the .357. He was wondering why he can't throw a .357 in a .40 and call it good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Jester View Post
also the necks on the casing would split making the brass un-reloadible The brass is the expensive part of the bullet. And the projectile would flow down the barrel right!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSN View Post
BAD...REALLY BAD idea... the 357sig like the 40 short and weak is a HIGH CUP round... you will blowout the case and very, very likley KB the gun.
Doy..I'm an idiot....I was thinking about it all wrong. Even though the casing is the same (minus the neck down of course) and will load to .40 mags, the .357 projectile is smaller and needs the smaller ID barrel. I must have been on some REAAALLLY good hallucinogens

Found the conversion barrel at Pistol Gear for a mere $155...not bad. Think I'll pick one up
Offroader5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #83
I joined the Band!

there is bad places here as well

http://www.idcide.com/citydata/ca/oakland.htm

if you notice the percentage of white/black is less, which means your twice as likley to get shot by a gangsta punk.

some more
http://www.idcide.com/citydata/ca/stockton.htm
http://www.idcide.com/citydata/ca/compton.htm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbelly View Post
I know i am gonna offend alot of the Cali folks but...... You guy dont have half the crime and ghettos like the south.
Before you go off, i know,i lived and worked all thru out Clifornia for 10 years.
Why less violence..ALOT stricter laws.( Good thing...maybe)
I would rather be raising my familiy out there if i could. I always felt alot safer anywere i was out there compared to here!!
I will let Kennys link do some talking. Look at mine compared to yours ,the Graph is maxxed out!!!
http://www.idcide.com/citydata/tn/memphis.htm
So after being in some pretty sticky situations here a few times i do feel i need some alternate means of protection.

As for the other folks that wonder why you carry a gun.
I dont remeber were i heard this but the quote was like this.

Its like carrying a spare tire.
You hope you never have to use it but you have it in case you ever need it.
I could go on for days.

Anyways. Get something your gonna carry. Practice, and get training. I have been shooting since i was a kid and thought i knew alot. I shoot tons better after some professional training. Plus it was really fun!!

Last edited by tom@vp; 06-25-2010 at 10:42 PM.
tom@vp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #84
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@vp View Post

if you notice the percentage of white/black is less, which means your twice as likley to get shot by a gangsta punk.
I had a friend that worked in the Acorn housing projects in Oakland.... A shooting a night there was the norm. Oakland is and always will be a shithole
I worked in Richmond on Barrett Ave. down in the projects and it was pretty bad there, too, especially on New Years Eve. Richmond PD and the Sheriff's Dept. would clear out of the area around 11:00PM and would not respond to ANY calls until after 1:00AM because of all the gunfire. I worked in a area called the "Iron Triangle" almost on the border with unincorporated North Richmond. One New Year's eve, a Sheriff's patrol car got shot up so bad, it was undriveable... North Richmond was known as Dodge City, because you spent your time there dodging bullets
Oh how I love quiet Montana!
montana.matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 07:12 AM   #85
Just jump it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom@vp View Post

some more
http://www.idcide.com/citydata/ca/stockton.htm
http://www.idcide.com/citydata/ca/compton.htm

Yep. I worked in compton at one point. Still felt safer there than i do in memphis now days.
But it was about 12 years ago, so i am sure alot has changed since.

Compare the memphis and compton graphs. Still not even close!!!
Look at the crime rates...Yikes!!!
Memphis 61% AF American
Compton 40%..... Not being picky but in the south. Whites are very close to being the minority.

Like i said. I wish i could still raise my kids and familiy out there.
My kids , when they were younger would always ask, why do you have to carry a gun daddy? Hard to explain to the 3 to 7 yr old range.

Last edited by rottenbelly; 06-26-2010 at 07:19 AM.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:35 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanantrdsc View Post
Hum, a whole tens years! Wow! Um, some of us have lived here almost half a century. So like the opinions regarding California from those that dont live here, your short tour is worth about the same. Your opinions and $5 will get you a cup of joe at Starbucks!
yaaa i grew up there till i was 19 and could afford to leave... and i havent looked back... the crime there is through the roof. although the last 2 or 3 years it has cleaned up a bit its still horrible. i grew up in san bernardino... ghetto.. when i lived there the city was well segregated and still is fairly gang filled. and also lived in palm springs for 8 yrs... wow a place i thought wouldnt have much crime... boy was i wrong... not quite as bad but still psycho's there... 2 of my friends were innocently killed there by gang bangers trying to get initiated in to gangs. one was shot 3 times in the head, the other was shot 6 times 2 in the head and also stabbed 14 times prior to getting shot. the last yr i was there there were 14 car jackings in a 6 week period, 2 ended fatally one of which was an elderly lady. so yes cali has some seriously brutal crime.
talon0713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:42 AM   #87
RCC Addict

Quote:

Knives are options, but carrying them can be a big problem, as can using them.
within a 21 foot radius a knife has the advantage over a firearm
Wicked_Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #88
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Oh, so if we carry a gun, we are criminals? Thats what you are saying, as no one ever pulls guns or knives on others were you live (behind rose tinted glasses). So, we would be the only people doing this.

So your statement then means that you are everywhere in Santa Rosa, all the time, see and hear everything, theres no crime, and theres no possibility of people pulling guns or knives? If true then why do you have PD or Sheriff?

Not a single clue!
yes they have no crime... ... i dont personally carry a gun my self but i dont oppose those who want to. i just think there are pleny of other means of protection that are not lethal.stun guns, mace, temp blinding flashes, defensive martial arts, ect ect.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:59 AM   #89
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by talon0713 View Post
yes they have no crime... ... i dont personally carry a gun my self but i dont oppose those who want to. i just think there are pleny of other means of protection that are not lethal.stun guns, mace, temp blinding flashes, defensive martial arts, ect ect.
stun guns- only temp disable a person and u have to keep doing it
mace- doesnt affect all people definitely someone thats high
flashes- dont effect all people (I personally dont have a problem with them)
defensive martial arts- you can be charged with a felony in most states for assault with a deadly force
Old 06-27-2010, 01:09 AM   #90
Quarry Creeper

true but the initial shock of something can at least give you time to evade. and i would take the charges as they would probably get dropped in court and if it keeps me alive thats fine by me lol.(and the martial arts has kept me alive in the past. i have disarmed 2 people already. one held me at knife point the other went to pull a gun on a friend and i was behind him and saw him reach for the gun in the back of his pants... (drunk marine at a bar)... both were arrested and no charges filed against me.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:19 AM   #91
RCC Addict

Quote:
true but the initial shock of something can at least give you time to evade. and i would take the charges as they would probably get dropped in court and if it keeps me alive thats fine by me lol.(and the martial arts has kept me alive in the past. i have disarmed 2 people already. one held me at knife point the other went to pull a gun on a friend and i was behind him and saw him reach for the gun in the back of his pants... (drunk marine at a bar)... both were arrested and no charges filed against me.
By no means am I saying those options are useless all im saying is having a firearm in reserve if those things fail is always a good idea
Old 06-27-2010, 01:24 AM   #92
Quarry Creeper

and no mean do i say thats wrong. if i still lived in cali or phoenix i would probably still pack my .40 cal. when i lived in phx you couldnt get it away from me. hell i even had a trucker pull a piece on me bc i honked at him for running me off the road lol.
Old 06-27-2010, 01:30 AM   #93
RCC Addict

Quote:
and no mean do i say thats wrong. if i still lived in cali or phoenix i would probably still pack my .40 cal. when i lived in phx you couldnt get it away from me. hell i even had a trucker pull a piece on me bc i honked at him for running me off the road lol.
luckily for me I live in a part of cali where the crime rate isnt bad, I carry more for 4 legged threats then 2 legged since it take 20-30 minutes for a local sheriff or highway patrol to show up, but I live in piece and leave my cars unlocked
Old 06-27-2010, 02:12 AM   #94
Quarry Creeper

yaaa thats pretty much how i live now. i can leave my firebird windows down t-tops off and go shopping and come back with everything still there lol... only thing around here is coyotes... got a nice rifle at home for that. they tend to come in town and try to eat lil puppies and lure others out of there yard and pack kill em. so when i see one they get dead.
Old 06-27-2010, 03:14 AM   #95
RCC Addict

Quote:
yaaa thats pretty much how i live now. i can leave my firebird windows down t-tops off and go shopping and come back with everything still there lol... only thing around here is coyotes... got a nice rifle at home for that. they tend to come in town and try to eat lil puppies and lure others out of there yard and pack kill em. so when i see one they get dead.
same here except when I go into town I usually back a couple extra mags for my handgun as the town I have to go into is stockton and there was a link posted above about that town
Old 06-27-2010, 05:22 AM   #96
Just jump it!

Quote:
Hum, a whole tens years! Wow! Um, some of us have lived here almost half a century. So like the opinions regarding California from those that dont live here, your short tour is worth about the same. Your opinions and $5 will get you a cup of joe at Starbucks!
Quit wasting time!!!! You already stayed half a century! If it's that bad get out while you still have a chance!!
Tens years is plenty long enough to figure it out.
The whole point of my comments was I felt safer Everywere out there compared to
here.
I will take that 5 bucks and coffee now, thanks.
rottenbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:10 AM   #97
Who's your Daddy-0!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked_Jester View Post
within a 21 foot radius a knife has the advantage over a firearm
That would be without training. I've proved time and time again that I can draw from a paddle holster under my shirt, fire and hit center mass every time with someone at 10ft with a knife. I was a firearm instructor at our local indoor range years ago. Practice is everything. You always want to create distance for you and your loved ones.
TattooKenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:19 AM   #98
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rottenbelly View Post
Quit wasting time!!!! You already stayed half a century! If it's that bad get out while you still have a chance!!
Tens years is plenty long enough to figure it out.
The whole point of my comments was I felt safer Everywere out there compared to
here.
I will take that 5 bucks and coffee now, thanks.
... aparently you have never been downtown la at night heck you shoulda stopped by Compton... wait you prob. wouldnt have made it out. heck i still go to visit my grand parents in san bernardino and that place still creeps me out.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:26 PM   #99
dkf
Rock Crawler

My towns more dangerous than yours pissing match.

Quote:
Within a 21 foot radius a knife has the advantage over a firearm.
Gives you options.
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

Last edited by dkf; 06-27-2010 at 12:29 PM.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 01:36 PM   #100
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TattooKenny View Post
That would be without training. I've proved time and time again that I can draw from a paddle holster under my shirt, fire and hit center mass every time with someone at 10ft with a knife. I was a firearm instructor at our local indoor range years ago. Practice is everything. You always want to create distance for you and your loved ones.
that can be true it all depends on every situation though