Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Gun and knife picture thread!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2018, 04:42 PM   #1121
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Gun and knife picture thread!

Made this from casting like 25 years ago got to fire it. I miss Blackpowder lol

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
seedburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-13-2018, 06:43 PM   #1122
Rock Crawler

I have made several similar ones on a lathe, but this was in the analog 80ties so you will just have to take my word for it.

Also made a tennis ball ( that be tennis ball filled with concrete ) cannon.

You did not want to stand in front of that sucker

Only 1 minus,,,,,, we had to cook our own black powder, you guys have it so easy.
Peaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2018, 01:55 PM   #1123
Quarry Creeper

Few more black powder guns. First one I made from castings it's a 41 cal and the second one I bought ita a 31 cal. Cool little derringers.

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
seedburns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #1124
I wanna be Dave

https://youtu.be/-qBFRqCDK6o
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 09:48 AM   #1125
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Take that
cmbscx10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 07:42 PM   #1126
I wanna be Dave

Picked up my Springfield M1 Garand today. Wanted one since i was around 14yo when my Uncle told me about his time in WW2. Was never able to afford one and when i could i did not know a FFL CMP dealer. Long story short i can afford it now and i do know a FFL CMP dealer so jumped at the chance when this came up.

Rifle Grade due to the barrel wear, receiver and overall condition could check a few boxes up on the grade level but the stock had to be replaced with a new updated one that lockes the receiver better anyhow. My dealer is on the hunt for the correct era stock with the correct markings. Won't install it but want it just o have an original.

Lots of research to do for barrel year, when/if it was rebuilt by a military armorer which is highly unlikely since the barrel and receiver have matching numbers but i do know it was "In service with the Greece military" during the Assistance program.

Fun stuff and next on the list is a CMP 1911. Fingers crossed.
Attached Images

Old 06-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #1127
I wanna be Dave

Default Gun and knife picture thread!

The CMP is taking applications for their upcoming 1911s. If you’re into spending money on a cool piece.

I’ve got a Garand M1 hand-me-down that was bought out of a barrel at Sears or someplace in the ‘60s. Pretty beat up on the wood but the rest is mint. All numbers matching, too. Got the bag for it somewhere also

Last edited by Brake Weight; 06-16-2018 at 08:16 PM.
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:52 AM   #1128
Quarry Creeper

New upper is already here, damn, that was fast! Hoping to go break it in at the indoor range this evening. Should make for some nice fireballs with the A2 birdcage on there.

8.5" 5.56 upper so I can practice with my .300BLK pistol build a lot cheaper. Forged 7075 T6 upper receiver, 8.5" 4150V nitride barrel, full auto carpenter 158 BCG, 7" M lok free float handguard.

hpiguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:25 AM   #1129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
The CMP is taking applications for their upcoming 1911s. If you’re into spending money on a cool piece.
What are the CMP 1911s going for?
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 11:30 AM   #1130
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
What are the CMP 1911s going for?
Depends on the grade. I gave my dealer $1500 to source the best grade he could. Even with the history I wouldn't touch one for under $750.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:35 AM   #1131
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
New upper is already here, damn, that was fast! Hoping to go break it in at the indoor range this evening. Should make for some nice fireballs with the A2 birdcage on there.

8.5" 5.56 upper so I can practice with my .300BLK pistol build a lot cheaper. Forged 7075 T6 upper receiver, 8.5" 4150V nitride barrel, full auto carpenter 158 BCG, 7" M lok free float handguard.
Damn you guys are so lucky, at least for now. I'd build a AR pistol in seconds but now all I can do is build one with a shotgun / rifle stock, no magazine and a barrel as long as a broom handle. I'm not ever going to build something that stupid but our dumb ass laws are always trickle down so enjoy while you can.

And that was a score for an upper
Old 06-22-2018, 01:46 PM   #1132

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbscx10 View Post
Depends on the grade. I gave my dealer $1500 to source the best grade he could. Even with the history I wouldn't touch one for under $750.
That's a lot of cash for a toy I'll barely use. I have a 1911 now that I barely shoot. I'd love to see pics when you get it though.

And I'm guessing value will only increase as the years go on.

Quote:
Damn you guys are so lucky, at least for now. I'd build a AR pistol in seconds but now all I can do is build one with a shotgun / rifle stock, no magazine and a barrel as long as a broom handle. I'm not ever going to build something that stupid but our dumb ass laws are always trickle down so enjoy while you can.

That's why I'm stocking up on AR lowers. They will most likely ban these scary guns again, but confiscation is rare despite it happen in other loony areas.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:10 PM   #1133
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

I don't see those laws trickling down anytime soon personally. But I've been wrong before. That shit sucks, I couldn't live there.

Yep, I couldn't say no at that price. It was a smokin' deal for sure. Took it to the range today and put 90 rounds through it. Not one hiccup, but neither of my PSA uppers have ever had a hiccup, not once. It's loud AF and makes some nice fireballs. I tried to get it on the GoPro, but the gun was blocking it from a head mount. Need a side shot of it. It's fun as hell, more fun than a 16" IMO. I went through 90rds of mostly slow shooting in a half hour. Just couldn't stop shooting it. She gets warm though, gloves are a must.

First time at the rifle side of the range. 20yds climate controlled ain't bad for five minutes from home.

20yds freehand with a red dot, still need to sight off bags at some point just to be sure.

And some vid

Last edited by hpiguy; 06-22-2018 at 10:33 PM.
Old 06-23-2018, 11:15 AM   #1134
Quarry Creeper

Slow mo capture caught a fireball

Old 06-24-2018, 02:59 PM   #1135
I wanna be Dave

Ok guys, looking for some help/advise. I would like to buy a hand gun to take with us in our motorhome when we travel. I have a 22 single action revolver that has 2 cylinders, so I can shot magnums or long rifle. I don't have a lot of knowledge of hand guns, but wanted to upgrade to a little higher caliber,would maybe like to get a 9mm that won't break the bank. I know this is a pretty vague question but it is a good starting point for me.
Thanks for your help!
Ernie
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 05:55 PM   #1136
RCC Addict

Hey Ernie! Pretty sure that you'll get a lot of opinions but the absolute best piece of advice I can give is to try to find a range that allows you to shoot different makes/ models/ calibers. I think that 9mm is a good choice for personal protection but there are so many choices out there and they all feel much different regarding grip, size, recoil, quality, etc. Find something that feels good in your hands as well as in your wife's hands ( assuming that she would also like to be able to arm herself against an intruder). And you never know... Maybe she will feel more comfortable with something else. Anyway... I don't want to throw out a bunch of names as that gets pointless, but it might be worth it to check out the Taurus Millennium PT111 G2 if you're pretty set on a 9mm. Decent gun for the cost.

Only other thing that I'll add here is to shoot shoot shoot. Become familiar with your firearm(s) and become proficient. If you can, try to continue practicing so that you don't get rusty. If you are willing and able, there are some very valuable training classes these days that will help you to not only become comfortable with your weapon, but also may be considered vital in regards to close quarter conditions and real world scenarios.
high plains drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 06:46 PM   #1137
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by high plains drifter View Post
Hey Ernie! Pretty sure that you'll get a lot of opinions but the absolute best piece of advice I can give is to try to find a range that allows you to shoot different makes/ models/ calibers. I think that 9mm is a good choice for personal protection but there are so many choices out there and they all feel much different regarding grip, size, recoil, quality, etc. Find something that feels good in your hands as well as in your wife's hands ( assuming that she would also like to be able to arm herself against an intruder). And you never know... Maybe she will feel more comfortable with something else. Anyway... I don't want to throw out a bunch of names as that gets pointless, but it might be worth it to check out the Taurus Millennium PT111 G2 if you're pretty set on a 9mm. Decent gun for the cost.

Only other thing that I'll add here is to shoot shoot shoot. Become familiar with your firearm(s) and become proficient. If you can, try to continue practicing so that you don't get rusty. If you are willing and able, there are some very valuable training classes these days that will help you to not only become comfortable with your weapon, but also may be considered vital in regards to close quarter conditions and real world scenarios.

Thanks HPD, very sound advise. I have a relative who is a shooter, I will check with him on a good range.
Ernie
Old 06-24-2018, 11:04 PM   #1138
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Thanks HPD, very sound advise. I have a relative who is a shooter, I will check with him on a good range.
Ernie

HPD gives some very sound advice. You will get a 1000x different recommendations on brands and caliber. Research is the human thing to do and in this case the best way is to rent range gun. A range gun gives you the best chances of shooting lots of different guns and calibers but for me the best part is it shows how well a gun shoots after 1000's of rounds with little care.

If two people agree that say a S&W MP9 or 40 is the best route but one doesn't like the way it feels in hand, the way your eyes pick up the sights, how well it shoots on paper, under stress, right or left handed, recoil, how easy is it do draw, how easy is it to get into battery, load a mag quickly etc etc. All of that and then some i take into account before purchasing any gun whether it be a handgun or rifle. Just because someone says it is good doesn't mean it will be for you.

Now the most fun part is finding a caliber and gun that you and your wife can shoot. Usually doesn't happen in my experience. You will end up with two. My ex could out shoot me with her 380 vs my 9,40 or 45's. I would rather have her place 8 shots then 2 or 3 if you get me.

Whatever you do DO NOT go for the elephant gun cause it's cool, you brother shoots one or the YT vids says BIG calibers are were it is at. Total nonsense. Start small caliber like 380 and work your way up till it feels right for you. 9 or 40 is were you will likely settle but then again it is whatever feels right to you.
Old 06-25-2018, 06:22 AM   #1139

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Ok guys, looking for some help/advise. I would like to buy a hand gun to take with us in our motorhome when we travel. I have a 22 single action revolver that has 2 cylinders, so I can shot magnums or long rifle. I don't have a lot of knowledge of hand guns, but wanted to upgrade to a little higher caliber,would maybe like to get a 9mm that won't break the bank. I know this is a pretty vague question but it is a good starting point for me.
Thanks for your help!
Ernie
I'd also suggest something in 9mm. It's the perfect compromise caliber for self defense IMHO.

If you want something compact to carry check out the Smith & Wesson M&P Shield. It's similar to a Taurus that high plains drifter recommended, but S&W is a company with a better reputation. And S&W M&Ps have the best ergonomics of any polymer guns IMO.

If you're not going to carry it on your person you can get a larger, but still compact gun. In that case check out the S&W M&P full-size or compact guns. As I said, the ergonomics on these guns are why I love them. They have proven reliability records and amazing customer service to back them.

The new M&P 2.0 series has some updates and a more aggressive texturing on the grip (too aggressive for some people), but the original series of the M&Ps is still around and they are nearly as good and can be had for dirt cheap.

Then there's the Glock G19. It's similar in size to the S&W M&P Compact. Glocks aren't cheap and I don't like them because they don't know what ergonomics means. The grips are shaped like a brick and they just don't worth with my small hands.

I also have a Canik TP9SF Elite that I absolutely love. It's a newer brand and the price is right, but they are reliable, accurate, and the trigger is much better than any Glock, S&W or Taurus polymer gun. It's my favorite shooting polymer gun that I own by far and I'm the most accurate with this gun.

Photos for your reference:

S&W M&P Shield (1.0) next to a S&W M&P Full-size with 4.25" barrel (1.0)

Canik TP9SF Elite

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 06-25-2018 at 06:27 AM.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:30 AM   #1140
I wanna be Dave

Great info Tim, I will check these out. They give me a good starting point. I was thinking about checking out the gun shop at Cabela's, we have one in Eugene. And thanks for taking the time to put the info together!
Ernie

Tags
fire power!, second amendment