Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2015, 06:56 PM   #1381
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat

Good stuff Johnny, been getting the urge to bust out the fatbike lately myself.
hpiguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2015, 11:02 AM   #1382

Hoping I'm not breaking any rules, read a lot but don't post very often. Looking at getting a bike and I don't have any recent experience. I would like something to tool around on, have no intentions of racing or anything like that. Trying to get into better shape a little.

Any thoughts on the bike below? Or bikes that are of similar spec? I think this one can be had for about a grand and seems to be ok.

Marin Nail Trail 27.5 (650b) Hardtail Mountain Bike

Anything you guys would recommend to someone 5'11" and hasn't been on a bike in 15 years?
sixty3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 11:43 AM   #1383
Rock Crawler

FOR SALE .. Frame only ... 2012 evil revolt replacement frame with seat gusset tube ... Fox rc4 rear shock with titanium spring hope headset ... Comes with headset took a blue sticker pack as well as silver or gold sticker packs and manuals ... It has a 19" too tube ... It is my downhill bike there are chips and scratches and a small dent where a delta screw backed out and hit the frame on a compression stroke .... Buyer pays shipping but I'll ship via a bike shop to save on shipping for you ... Asking 800

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Purptr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 01:24 PM   #1384
RCC Addict

Location: somewhere near Los Angeles...or a city looking thingy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixty3 View Post
Hoping I'm not breaking any rules, read a lot but don't post very often. Looking at getting a bike and I don't have any recent experience. I would like something to tool around on, have no intentions of racing or anything like that. Trying to get into better shape a little.

Any thoughts on the bike below? Or bikes that are of similar spec? I think this one can be had for about a grand and seems to be ok.

Anything you guys would recommend to someone 5'11" and hasn't been on a bike in 15 years?
If it's the same one in this link:
http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/d...ail-trail-27.5

Then I'd go for it. It has a pretty good spec and isn't super expensive. Or if you can, try spending a little more to get a better spec'd bike. Again, if you can.
OTHGbronco82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #1385

That is the bike. Sun & Ski has some left over 2014 models. At a grand it seemed to be pretty decent.

What would you purchase if you were looking for something to tool around on?

thanks
Old 11-11-2015, 02:35 PM   #1386
Rock Crawler

IMO this would be a pretty nice ride. More than a Grand but I think this is the next generation of trail bikes...the "plus" size tires,...especially on a hardtail.

Specialized Bicycle Components
gdb85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 07:18 PM   #1387
Quarry Creeper

There's nothing wrong with that Marin for that price, not at all. BUT, for a hardtail, I'd rather have a 29er, just my .$02.

Also I blame this all on Jonny

I've been wanting to tackle WCU on the single speed, and knew it would still be wet in places from the rain a few days ago, so no better time to bust out the SS fattie. The WCU trails are steep, and have some long climbs, and I wanted to see how I would do out there on a SS. I'm happy to say I did good in my opinion. It was tough, really tough in places, but really satisfying when I was done though. Oddly enough, I set a few new PR's, guess I'm faster on the cheap ass SS fattie than on my shiny new squishy wonder bike.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:17 PM   #1388
RCC Addict

Quote:
That is the bike. Sun & Ski has some left over 2014 models. At a grand it seemed to be pretty decent.

What would you purchase if you were looking for something to tool around on?

thanks
Something way out of your price range. But, if I had to stick to your budget(+/- some) I'd be looking at maybe a giant talon 27.5, preferably the top of the line Talon 1 that's $1400 and has a pretty good spec. Or, try and save up for a specialized stumpjumper HT. The Marin isn't to bad of a spec, I just haven't done much research on them as I don't know any shop around here that carries them.

Stumpjumper

Talon 27.5 1
Old 11-11-2015, 09:20 PM   #1389
RCC Addict

Oh, and the list of parts for my DH bike is growing.

So far I have:
  • Saint brakes front and rear
  • XT ice-tech rotors, 203 front 180 rear
  • Adaptors for the brakes
  • Thompson elite post
  • Saint shifter
  • Zee rear derailleur

And did you know the Thompson post comes in a little pull string bag? It's kinda cool.
Old 11-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #1390
Rock Crawler

I just bought a Canfield Jedi for next seasons Dh frame ;)
Purptr8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 10:08 PM   #1391
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purptr8r View Post
I just bought a Canfield Jedi for next seasons Dh frame ;)
Old 11-12-2015, 06:22 AM   #1392

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
Something way out of your price range. But, if I had to stick to your budget(+/- some) I'd be looking at maybe a giant talon 27.5, preferably the top of the line Talon 1 that's $1400 and has a pretty good spec. Or, try and save up for a specialized stumpjumper HT. The Marin isn't to bad of a spec, I just haven't done much research on them as I don't know any shop around here that carries them.

Stumpjumper

Talon 27.5 1
I don't really have a budget so to speak. The only reason I brought up that Marin at a grand is because I have been watching CL lately and a used one popped up at $1300 and I googled it and found new for $998. The wife doesn't know that I am looking for a bike yet, but we have 3 grand worth of RC cars in the garage that I tool around with with the kids so I figure I can sell her on the idea.
Old 11-12-2015, 07:32 AM   #1393
RCC Addict

Quote:
I don't really have a budget so to speak. The only reason I brought up that Marin at a grand is because I have been watching CL lately and a used one popped up at $1300 and I googled it and found new for $998. The wife doesn't know that I am looking for a bike yet, but we have 3 grand worth of RC cars in the garage that I tool around with with the kids so I figure I can sell her on the idea.
The Marin you posted is a pretty decent spec for someone getting back into it. I've wrenched on a few Marins and they seem like ok bikes for the money. One thing I highly suggest doing is test riding some different bikes. Go to as many shops as you can and test ride a couple of bikes at a time. Mid-range hardtails like that Marin, the Stumpjumper HT, the Specialized Fuze, etc... are bikes to consider. Also, be sure to test ride the different wheel and tire sizes. That'll help you narrow it down more.

At the $1,000+ price range you can get a great bike. I always recommend sticking with Shimano Deore components or higher and getting an air sprung fork at the very least.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 10:20 AM   #1394
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Do it, bicycle riding on road and MTB are great ways to get/stay in shape, and tons of fun! I see too many people who just let themselves go as they get older, be proactive and take care of your health...besides it's fun and always puts a huge smile on my face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTHGbronco82 View Post
If it's the same one in this link:
http://www.marinbikes.com/us/bikes/d...ail-trail-27.5

Then I'd go for it. It has a pretty good spec and isn't super expensive. Or if you can, try spending a little more to get a better spec'd bike. Again, if you can.
That's a pretty well spec'ed bike for that price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpiguy View Post
There's nothing wrong with that Marin for that price, not at all. BUT, for a hardtail, I'd rather have a 29er, just my .$02.
X2, love my 29ers, sold all my little wheels years ago. Especially on hardtail (HT) or rigid (no suspension) bikes 29er is the only way to go unless you're doing bmx style extreme jumps and stunts which I'm not and doesn't sound like you are either. Short people sometimes do better on 27.5 or 26" wheels depending on their size, but at 5'11" I would definitely be looking only at 29er.

Quote:
Figure out what you want to spend based on what you can afford, intended use, are you really going to stick with this? I hope you do. If you're on the fence about two bikes, buy a little better one (if you can afford) because upgrading forks and stuff like that is way more expensive than just buying the bike you really want. However, if you're not sure how long you'll stay with it or if you really like the bike, spend a little less. You can always buy a new better bike and sell old bike after you build skills, strength and lose weight. Keep in mind that some forks and wheels have rider weight limits, get a good fitting bike that you're comfortable riding, that has good quality strong components for now, all that lightweight carbon, titanium crap does not make you fast.

Go to as many different bike shops as you can, talk with the peeps there, test ride lots of bikes, come back here, post your findings, ask us more questions and we'll help you get a good bike for you! If the shop acts elitist, talks down to you, or thinks that $1000 is too little for a bike, run to another store. Buy your bike at the shop that has staff/atmosphere that you like and are comfortable with, as a beginner you'll be back there for tune ups, repairs and advice. Buying used is fine, but for newbie I always recommend by at a local shop...I did and their help was invaluable getting me started on the right track. HTH

Forgot to say that your wife should not have any problem with you spending money to get in shape and stay healthy so that you can be together for a long time in happiness and health! Just figure out what your budget is and try to stick with it. My first real mtb I ended up raising my budget and spent about $800 which was a lot at the time for me, but after reading and asking around, the extra money I spent intially was very well worth it in the long run.

Last edited by Natedog; 11-12-2015 at 10:24 AM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 06:01 AM   #1395
Rock Crawler

unfortunately I could not agree with the 29" goodness, because I am a short dude.lol. I had a 29'er for a short period of time and could never get use to the bigger wheels on the trails. For daily commute, it was great, not so much for trails IMO.
ped453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:05 PM   #1396
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ped453 View Post
unfortunately I could not agree with the 29" goodness, because I am a short dude.lol. I had a 29'er for a short period of time and could never get use to the bigger wheels on the trails. For daily commute, it was great, not so much for trails IMO.
Really short people or purist's can go with 26", Medium sized people can get away with either 26 or 27.5 sometimes a 29, and sasquatches like me fit pretty good on 29ers and look a little more proportional. Or at least that's what I think.
Old 11-14-2015, 08:24 PM   #1397
RCC Addict

Well the truck has new falken's on it and I got my chain today. So, I'm going to go riding tomorrow and then put all the new stuff on my DH bike.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:23 AM   #1398
Quarry Creeper

I took my nephew riding Saturday. He had a bit of meltdown, which he does sometimes due to having no patience. We got out of the trail and had a little heart to heart, and he got back on his bike and cleaned everything (even the stuff that had been freaking him out) all the way back to the truck. Made me so proud!!

And then I went out yesterday solo and rode Big Creek in Roswell GA. Big Creek is always a good time, if you live nearby you gotta go check it out. It's pretty technical in places, and I rode some of the free ride area yesterday also, lots of fun.

I'm loving this bike more every ride, 8 new PR's yesterday.

Last edited by hpiguy; 11-16-2015 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-20-2015, 06:43 PM   #1399
RCC Addict

The downhill bike is finally done and will move when you pedal it. Took it out for a ride today and realized I have balls the size of peas when it comes to rocks on any sort of incline/decline.
Old 11-21-2015, 08:05 PM   #1400
Quarry Creeper

I finally got a weekend with decent weather, and fairly dry trails. So I loaded up and headed to Tsali. Mouse and Thompson have always been my favorite loops, but it's really funny how a new bike can change your old trails. I had a freaking blast today, probably the most fun I've ever had there. And the new bike continues to impress, it's just so much faster everywhere.

Creek crossing on Thompson

Can't go to Tsali without doing the overlooks, Mouse overlook downhill is fun too.

I kinda liked this shot

Strava deets

Official MTB / Mountain Biking Chit Chat - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Official WiRCRC Chit Chat R/CMaxximus5.0 Wisconsin 3168 09-01-2023 09:04 PM
Mountain biking adamargue Chit Chat 30 09-09-2013 09:01 PM
Official 4x4allstar Chit Chat Thread Ced RC Illinois 1022 09-18-2010 07:12 AM