Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Chit Chat

Notices

Thread: I need help - we todd did

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default I need help

my Toyota with a 22R and a webber carb, will only go 40 to 45 miles per hour and if you try and push it to 50 to 55 miles per hour it starts sputtering and back firing, like its starving for gas and if you let off the throttle and then RPM"S drop the truck will run good and then if push it again it starts cutting out again

I'm going to replace the fuel filter, could it be the fuel pump cutting out at high RPM"S or could it be electrical

I really don't know what to check

the fuel delivery at high RPM"S could be the problem

I started the truck like normal, I let the it warm up, it idled like it always does

went down the road at 45 miles per hour no problems

until I merged on the 2 lane highway that is 65 miles per hour and I was in the merge lane

trying to get it up to speed before the lane ends and you merge into traffic it started sputtering and back firing

and immediately got off the highway and had to less 40 miles per hour back to my house

now its sitting my driveway and I almost don't want to drive it and get stranded some where

going to take my other truck and go get a fuel filter

Last edited by kgb424; 08-20-2015 at 06:51 AM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2015, 03:27 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default re: I need help - we todd did

If you floor it in like second gear, does it sputter and die at a certain RPM? If it's not the carb, then you've got a restricted exhaust.

Beyond that, it sounds like a carb issue. How long has it been since you adjusted or rebuilt the carb? I'd start there if it's not an exhaust issue.
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 04:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I just checked the fuel filter and it clean I see thru it the filter is clean and there is no sediment

the truck runs normal no problems at 45 miles per hour

but when I go to get on the 2 lane highway there is a stop light, so from a dead stop you make a left turn and get up speed it runs fine until you try go over 45 to 50 miles per hour, I got off quickly and made it back home at 40 miles per to play it safe

I'm not sure of what it is going on

cause it ides at 800 to 1000 rpm normally

and normally at 2,500 rpm I'm doing 65 miles per hour 70 miles is 2,800 rpm, I don't go any faster 65 to 70 miles per

so its cutting out at high rpm's and high speed

and low rpm's and low speed under 50 miles per hour

it runs like normal and no sputter or backfiring until and try and speed up

Last edited by kgb424; 07-26-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 04:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

So at High Rpm's the Webber's secondary's should be delivering enough fuel so it runs smoothly

sputtering could be its starving or its flooding out

and the back firing is a combo of beaning to rich and a having electrical problems the truck normally run a little rich, I prefer it rich then leaning out

I had a old four stroke dirt bike that had a coil and it ran rich and it would shoot out blue flames and would back fire every once and awhile

I cleaned up the wiring and that ended the back firing leaned out the carb a little and no more blue flames

but the Toyota is a lot different tuning than that old bike was

so I'm in over my head and will admit it

Last edited by kgb424; 07-26-2015 at 04:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 05:02 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Which direction is the backfire? Out the carb or tailpipe?
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 05:39 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Fuel pump, dirty fuel filter, clogged catalytic converter, bad or improperly adjusted carburetor acclerator pump, clogged accelerator pump nozzles...timing off, vacuum advance bad, mechanical advance bad, timing chain jumped one tooth and/or stretched badly with worn out chain guides and tensioner all come to mind as a previous Yota 4x4 owner.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 06:18 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I just bought a new fuel pump and fuel filter

and some oven cleaner

going to warm the truck up and spray the oven cleaner on the old pump and manifold

and replace the fuel pump and fuel filter and take above 50 and see if cuts out again

cause it might be the secondary's in the carb are partial clogged

I have had problem in the past with the secondary's and the carb's been cleaned and rebuilt and re-tuned and adjusted a few times

my mechanic may have to rebuild it again

cause he knows Webbers and 22r's and has built some sick Toyota rock crawlers and has competed for years and got the trophy's

so he is the guy I go to

its he is always busy

and I'm cheap but will ask him tomorrow

what he thinks

he may want to check out

and drive it and see if he can get to do it again

Last edited by kgb424; 07-26-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 06:54 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

"Hey guys I need help! I don't know how to fix my issue, can you help me out? I'll completely ignore advice from those more knowledgeable than myself, ignore questions that would narrow down the cause of the issue and start throwing parts at it till its fixed! Thanks for the help!"

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 07-26-2015 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:10 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Ignore you politely White Trash cause I really don't care for your answers cause I'm always the shit too you,

so I try to tune your bull shit out

thank you

I'm going to call Mark my mechanic

and see what he says

cause I have a had similar problems before but never changed out the fuel pump

so now installing a new fuel pump

the carb may need adjusting

or it could be a vacuum leak cause don't the secondary's open up when your on the throttle and accelerating

and if there a leak maybe there not opening up enough

Last edited by kgb424; 07-26-2015 at 07:23 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

No sweat off my nuts. It's not like my dd/autocross rig has a massaged 22r with a properly tuned weber all built by myself.

Hell everything I own runs weber carbs so you're right to ignore any advice I was trying to give you to fix your rig.
Old 07-26-2015, 07:40 PM   #11
MODERATOR™

I laughed. Never mind asking an RC site about real trucks and an answer likely found on Google…
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 08:18 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

The Hamster under the hood is out of caffeine. Poor lil bugger, buy him a Rockstar already.
Sarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:13 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

if you could give the advice and only the advice not insult me and make me feel like a piece of shit with your attitude towards me but you don't you nail me ever chance you get

it seemed to back fire thru the carb, I think cause I have heard it before, like some time when you turn off the motor it sputters and some times back fires

so changing the fuel pump out might be a start in the right direction

the plug wires are 3 years but the plugs and cap and rotor were changed a few months ago

so it could be something simple

Last edited by kgb424; 07-26-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:33 PM   #14
RCC Addict

wondering if you tried a compression test in the cylinders.i had an issue in my 87 ford ranger once city driving was no prob get up to speed at around 60 didn't have any power and would sputter and some times the peddle would be to the floor...found out later the one of the cylinders was low in compression....JM2C..
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

I asked a simple question in hopes of helping. Nowhere in that post did I belittle or insult you in any way.

Do you have a timing light? If it's rattling and sputtering the timing could be either way too fast or way too slow. If the distributor gets loose it's natural inclination is to retard.

It certainly could be a clogged jet but I'd lean more towards a fuel supply issue due to a clogged pickup screen in the tank or cracked fuel line drawing air. I've had both issues. If it's a mechanical pump don't replace it, it will either work or not there is no in between.

I can walk you through checking and cleaning the Jets easily enough but first off pull the fitting from the under side of the fuel inlet area. There is a fuel filter in there that most people don't know about.

Last edited by WHITE-TRASH; 07-26-2015 at 11:48 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

http://www.jtoutfitters.com/images/WEB37022010dia.gif
Old 07-26-2015, 10:42 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

the valves were checked a few months ago when the carb was rebuilt the last time, I had problems with idling at 1,500 rpm when it first started and would not idle down, you would have make it kick down, and it would take a few tries until it would idle at the 800 to 1000 rpm normally

so he took it apart and cleaned out the jetting and adjusted the low idle

I think and it quit and now idles a little high but will kick down and idle after a minute or so

and Mark is my personnel friend of mine and is willing to help me out , if I ask so he can schedule me in

and not just show up when he is busy and got no time

cause I worked out a deal with him

And I gave him a an 84 Toyota 4 x 4 with leaf springs and straight axle with a 22r and Webber and manual steering, 5-speed

that I was out wheeling and I blow the clutch up and something in the tranny let go and the motor just spins freely

and I don't need a third truck and can't afford to repair it

and he wanted it to repair and give to his son for his 16th b-day

so we helped each other out

the truck I'm changing the fuel pump in, is a 87 with the IFS suspension and power steering, 22R with Webber and 5-speed

cause I love the 87 so much better

Last edited by kgb424; 07-26-2015 at 11:02 PM.
Old 07-27-2015, 12:50 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I looked online and all of the electrical fuel pumps, I seen are for fuel injected Toyota 22R engines and are high pressure

so would you use a adjustable fuel regulator to drop the pressure down for a carbureted engine

or do they make a lower pressure electrical fuel pump

like the stock mechanical fuel pump
Old 07-27-2015, 01:12 AM   #19
Pebble Pounder

The early motors had a vacum advance on the dizzy,another thing to check/replace.

I got sick of piss farting around with the old 3y motor. Put in a 3rz and now i just turn the key and drive it.

If you are going to stuff around with it pull the manifold off and start from there.

Sounds like a leak from somewhere in the vac, or the carb playing up. or not setup properly to begin with.Saying that,
the head could be stuffed or you could have a fauly lead. Who knows.

Ive never had much luck with vehicles fitted with different carbs. Never seen the point really.
Unless the carbs match the manifold and the rest of the motor is to suit,banging a bigger carb
on the stock manifold with an adaptor plate isnt usually going to make the motor
respond better or make more power. Or be as efficient or reliable in a lot of cases.

3rz bro, 3rz.
thecrusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 05:09 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

I could not get the original stock Asia 2bbl carb to work and could not find any body locally or in my state that would rebuilt it, So I bought a Webber kit and installed it and removed a lot of the smog crap and blocked off the exhaust manifolds and it runs a lot better then with the stock carb the previous owner had a blockage and had oil blowing back onto and into the carb and instead of fixing it, he just kept dumping quarts of oil in the motor and trashed the carb, it was so bad it screwed up, all of the sensors and vacuum solenoids, total got corroded bad enough, that it would not idle or run good, but he gave me a hell of a deal and he paid for the new carb

Last edited by kgb424; 07-27-2015 at 05:11 AM.

Tags
dafuk?

I need help - we todd did - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Increasingly Poor Decisions of Todd Margaret JeremyH Chit Chat 11 10-03-2010 07:00 AM