Thread: Why scalers?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2017, 08:32 AM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Why scalers?

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Shane is on my list.
quality builds for sure. having a short chance at owning the no door xj.. quality is an understatement.

im sure if I actually drove it I would have kept it but put it back on the shelf..

now it resides with bogncrawl
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-26-2017, 12:16 PM   #102
Pebble Pounder

Comparing a comp crawler to a scaler is like comparing a Porsche track car to a daily-driven autocross Miata. Sure, the Porsche will be a HOOT, once a month or so. But the Miata will put a grin on your face every single day.
MiteyF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:26 PM   #103
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
Comparing a comp crawler to a scaler is like comparing a Porsche track car to a daily-driven autocross Miata. Sure, the Porsche will be a HOOT, once a month or so. But the Miata will put a grin on your face every single day.

You really think the comp rigs just sit until comp day? My sportys go with me on the road so when I have some down time I find rocks. That's an easy proposition here in the PNW since there are rocks everywhere.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:37 PM   #104
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
doesn't seem to bother szczerba with his massive cxt's
I got the chance to wheel one of his beasts a couple years ago at Disney. Magical.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 12:53 PM   #105
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
You really think the comp rigs just sit until comp day? My sportys go with me on the road so when I have some down time I find rocks. That's an easy proposition here in the PNW since there are rocks everywhere.
Yeah, you go FIND rocks. As a Seattle area born-and-raised, yes, there are tons of crawl spots out there. But 90% of people, yourself included, still have to get in the car and go somewhere, even if it's 10 minutes down the road. I can drive the SCX around in the back yard over pavers in the garden while I drink beer and watch the dogs chase the cars around, all day long. And if I get a bit too drunk, I head inside for a nap, without worrying about a DUI Not every golfer wants to be in the PGA. Not every writer aims for a Pulitzer prize. Not every climber wants to conquer Mt. Everest. And not every toy car owner wants to spend their time looking for crawl spots, even if it's "on the way". It's a hobby. Something you do when you have time, and it's a lot easier to "find the time" when you're not looking for that near-impossible-but-probably-doable line. Ya know what they say, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than drive a fast car slow. Same applies here. I'd rather drive a top heavy, underpowered rig to its absolute max than drive a comp crawler at 1/2 its potential and never meet an obstacle I can't easily conquer.

If you're hoping us scale-fans will admit that the comp guys are more obsessed over toy cars than we are, you can have that trophy Because let's face it, we're grown ass men playing with toy trucks.
Old 03-26-2017, 01:04 PM   #106
RCC Addict

Quote:
Yeah, you go FIND rocks. As a Seattle area born-and-raised, yes, there are tons of crawl spots out there. But 90% of people, yourself included, still have to get in the car and go somewhere, even if it's 10 minutes down the road. I can drive the SCX around in the back yard over pavers in the garden while I drink beer and watch the dogs chase the cars around, all day long. And if I get a bit too drunk, I head inside for a nap, without worrying about a DUI Not every golfer wants to be in the PGA. Not every writer aims for a Pulitzer prize. Not every climber wants to conquer Mt. Everest. And not every toy car owner wants to spend their time looking for crawl spots, even if it's "on the way". It's a hobby. Something you do when you have time, and it's a lot easier to "find the time" when you're not looking for that near-impossible-but-probably-doable line. Ya know what they say, it's more fun to drive a slow car fast than drive a fast car slow. Same applies here. I'd rather drive a top heavy, underpowered rig to its absolute max than drive a comp crawler at 1/2 its potential and never meet an obstacle I can't easily conquer.

If you're hoping us scale-fans will admit that the comp guys are more obsessed over toy cars than we are, you can have that trophy Because let's face it, we're grown ass men playing with toy trucks.
Ah ok, Scalers = retirees, comp trucks = young guys.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:15 PM   #107
Quarry Creeper

Or it could be-
Retired = Up for the challenge of putting a Scale Truck where it should not be and accomplishing what should not be able to be accomplished.

Young guys = Comp Trucks being put where they should be and easily doing what they should do and accomplish it.

Just depends on how much time you have.
sherbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 01:20 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I don't have to go find rocks, I'm already driving (truck driver) so it's just a matter of stopping. Some of the best rocks in the area are 2 blocks from my house so I'm there very often.

I've had scale rigs and it just doesn't do it for me. Some are happy to cruise around their yard but that gets boring as fawk for me with the quickness.

It's all a throw back to my wheeling days. Lots of guys were happy to throw the whole quadratec catalog at their jeeps so they look like they're competing for the camel trophy and cruise around gravel roads all day. I did that for exactly a month before building a rig on 38's all locked up with dual t cases. Then it was all about bigger and badder obstacles and of course rocks.

And you're damned right were adults playing with toy trucks. The comp rig guys take things seriously but they still don't have 30 pieces of flair and a doll behind the wheel.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:12 PM   #109
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbs View Post
Or it could be-
Retired = Up for the challenge of putting a Scale Truck where it should not be and accomplishing what should not be able to be accomplished.

Young guys = Comp Trucks being put where they should be and easily doing what they should do and accomplish it.

Just depends on how much time you have.

Well I'm past 60, still slogging for a check, full comp going to the sky is what does it for me, sorry to upset your idea....

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Well I'm past 60, still slogging for a check, full comp going to the sky is what does it for me, sorry to upset your idea....

Hang up and Drive
Age is a mindset only.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:24 PM   #111
MODERATOR™

You keep telling yourself that… I wish it were true.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:28 PM   #112
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sneetches View Post
Ah ok, Scalers = retirees, comp trucks = young guys.
Well, I'm 29, so I guess if that makes me old, I been thinking it's about time for a mid-life crisis!
Old 03-26-2017, 02:46 PM   #113
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Well, I'm 29, so I guess if that makes me old, I been thinking it's about time for a mid-life crisis!
Sorry, at least 10 years to go for that.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:48 PM   #114
Pebble Pounder

Well damn, I'm 25. I must have slid right past Comps and ended up at Sunny Acres Retirement community running scale trucks. My bad... lol
Arctic Cat ZRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #115
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Sorry, at least 10 years to go for that.
But, but but.... I drink a lot of beer, and I ride motorcycles a lot... doesn't that mean I can have mine early?
Old 03-26-2017, 02:54 PM   #116
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
But, but but.... I drink a lot of beer, and I ride motorcycles a lot... doesn't that mean I can have mine early?
NO! You must wait for your Vet and besides what fun will it be to have a 22 year old gold digger friend at 29.
Old 03-26-2017, 02:56 PM   #117
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
NO! You must wait for your Vet and besides what fun will it be to have a 22 year old gold digger friend at 29.
Actually I'm the gold digger. She's the PHD, I'm the handyman/mechanic/cook/trophy husband
Old 03-26-2017, 03:03 PM   #118
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Actually I'm the gold digger. She's the PHD, I'm the handyman/mechanic/cook/trophy husband
It's called equal rights and you are living the dream!
Old 03-26-2017, 04:53 PM   #119
RCC Addict

Quote:

Me too. lol trophy husband, well she's younger then me too
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:50 PM   #120
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ditchrat View Post
Me too. lol trophy husband, well she's younger then me too
She has to be at least 5 years older for that to count. She had to have been a senior in high school when you were a seventh or eighth grader!

Why scalers? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Scalers rc. Output volterra and monte serra. 7 scalers in action gionata78 Scale Videos! 0 07-08-2013 04:18 PM
How many scalers do you have? / How long have you been into scalers? pike2350 Chit Chat 8 03-29-2011 09:48 PM
My 1.1 scalers BLOODBANE Chit Chat 2 10-12-2009 01:19 PM