Notices

Thread: Coronavirus - Covid-19

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2020, 07:43 PM   #841
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Coronavirus - Covid-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplaywithrocks View Post
Bbrigg I prefer the middle cause that’s where the solutions typically are . I like solutions cause I have goals and goals quickly become dreams without solutions.

The middle ground is where "solutions are found"? I disagree because you have those with the correct answer needing, for purely political purposes, to compromise with those with the wrong answers. Your statement is a textbook example of a logical fallacy. From the very unconservative Wikipedia.
Argument to moderation
(Latin: argumentum ad temperantiam)—also known as false equivalence, false compromise, argument from middle ground, and the golden mean fallacy[1]—is the fallacy that the truth is a compromise between two opposite positions.[2][3]
An example of a fallacious use of the argument to moderation would be to regard two opposed arguments—one person saying that the sky is blue, while another claims that the sky is in fact yellow—and conclude that the truth is that the sky is green.[4] While green is the colour created by combining blue and yellow, therefore being a compromise between the two positions—the sky is obviously not green, demonstrating that taking the middle ground of two positions does not always lead to the truth.
Vladimir Bukovsky maintained that the middle ground between the Big Lie of Soviet propaganda and the truth was itself a lie, and one should not be looking for a middle ground between information and disinformation. According to him, people from the Western pluralistic civilization are more prone to this fallacy because they are used to resolving problems by making compromises and accepting alternative interpretations—unlike Russians, who are looking for the absolute truth.[5]
Like the current bruhaha about Trump's statement that mail-in voting leads to voting fraud being fact-checked but not deleted i.e. looking for that beautiful calm middle ground. Trump's statement is either objectively true or it is not. The fact-checker claims that it is false but numerous successful convictions for mail-in vote fraud would make it true. The statement cannot be both true and false as it deals with a single subject and can be objectively measured. Facts, not feelings, win the day.
bbrigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2020, 09:10 AM   #842
I wanna be Dave

Now, THIS is the truth.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
Panther6834 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:37 PM   #843
Rock Crawler

Luckily for Bukowski he died 2 years ago...he would have had a field day with an idiot like DT.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #844
Rock Stacker

How about all these Dem cities letting these riots happen. So sad.
Mopar man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 07:08 PM   #845
Rock Stacker

Bbrigg this says it all.

The middle ground is where "solutions are found"? I disagree because you have those with the correct answer needing, for purely political purposes, to compromise with those with the wrong answers.

Hitler thought he had the right answer . Same with trump . Same with Obama same with bbrigg.

You are arguing to be right . Not to be happy .
iplaywithrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 08:05 PM   #846
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
I think that's why people are afraid to look at things from the other side. They just might be wrong. Oh no! People hate to be wrong and lots can't even admit when they are wrong. It's very odd.

Yes, I agree. Both sides are so biased. I don't see how CNN or Fox have fans. That just goes to show you that some people refuse to look at things from the other side.

Then there's the two party team sport of politics. Trump is getting blasted for things for which Obama was praised. It happens with every President from the opposing political team (party). It's lunacy.
For real. Granted I don’t have any face to face political discussions, but people either don’t answer when I question them on things, or they go in another direction.

I’m a Fox News fan... but I own what I’m buying and I mostly watch the opinion shows like The Five(my personal favorite) & Tucker Carlson. There’s even a few liberals on the network I like... And I don’t just agree with the conservative side because I lean more that way.

Team politics...just this morning I saw President Trump being blamed for this “chaos in the streets.” Meanwhile this happened far too often under the last administration, which someone mentioned and they got a good finger pointing about “always” blaming Obama... Both sides do the same thing, just with a different skew. Look at any public hearing in Congress. Depending on who is sitting in the hot seat(sides wise) will either get softball questions, or they’ll get actual questions. It’s moronic.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:19 AM   #847
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by iplaywithrocks View Post
Bbrigg this says it all.

The middle ground is where "solutions are found"? I disagree because you have those with the correct answer needing, for purely political purposes, to compromise with those with the wrong answers.

Hitler thought he had the right answer . Same with trump . Same with Obama same with bbrigg.

You are arguing to be right . Not to be happy .
Arguing to be right is the only way I know to argue. Do you argue to be wrong? Right means correct, factual, logical, well reasoned and rational. To argue to be incorrect, fallacious, illogical or irrational seems to be a terrible waste of time. Reality is not optional and while everybody is entitled to their opinion nobody is entitled to their own facts. Facts don't choose sides.

Politically speaking much of what is done follows that ridiculous "middle ground" idea. How well is that working?

I am a conservative because I have never found a single Democratic policy which makes sense, is constitutional, comes in anywhere near the claimed cost of the policy and works to achieve the stated goals of the policy. Democrats have mastered the art of creating terrible policy with lovely but wildly misleading names for the bills containing the terrible policy.

Another problem that I have with Democrats is that they never miss a chance to blame the USA for all of the world's ills. Just the other day a Democrat senator had the stupidity to claim that slavery was created by America. I guess he thinks that the Roman gladiators were just "unpaid day laborers".

The only person that I rarely agree with, even when wrong, is my wife and that is only for temporary peace while she is emotional. All such arguments are revisited later to get her to admit that she was letting emotions get the better of her.
Old 06-20-2020, 03:06 PM   #848
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar man View Post
How about all these Dem cities letting these riots happen. So sad.
themountain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:24 PM   #849
Rock Stacker

The first murder in CHAZ today, so much for the summer of love. Still have a ways to go to catch up to Chicago. Come on CHAZ you can do it.
Old 06-20-2020, 10:19 PM   #850
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The first murder in CHAZ today, so much for the summer of love. Still have a ways to go to catch up to Chicago. Come on CHAZ you can do it.
You didn't get the word that those clowns renamed it the CHOP? It is now the Capitol Hill Occupied Protest. I look forward to what they call it next week.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:38 AM   #851
Rock Stacker

CHAZ has a better ring to it.
Old 06-21-2020, 08:13 AM   #852
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
CHAZ has a better ring to it.
I heard that the reason they changed it was so they could continue to receive welfare which would be difficult for them to justify while claiming autonomy.
Old 06-21-2020, 09:20 AM   #853
RCC Addict

this panDEMic is nothing more than a DEM Panic.

Covid is the Common Cold Virus.

Does the Common Cold Kill? Yep, if you're already ILL.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:21 AM   #854
RCC Addict

There has NEVER been a Solution in the Middle. That is a Myth and anyone that believes it is a brainwashed fool.
Timmahh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 10:28 AM   #855
Rock Crawler

I don't want to have any opinion about American politics since I don't live there, but reading these forums gives me the impression that everything is wrong with everything.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:28 AM   #856
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmahh View Post
this panDEMic is nothing more than a DEM Panic.

Covid is the Common Cold Virus.

Does the Common Cold Kill? Yep, if you're already ILL.

You hit the nail on the head
Attached Images

Mike Flea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:38 AM   #857
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjohanne View Post
I don't want to have any opinion about American politics since I don't live there, but reading these forums gives me the impression that everything is wrong with everything.

Not really but from the outside I'm sure it appears that way.

Basically we have big cities controlling the land. Big city problems don't necessarily translate to the country people much at all but we have to go along with things because we just don't have the number of people to counter them in the vote. 98% or so of those living outside of big cities just want to live their lives and be left along but the big city people do nothing but fawk with us at every turn about everything. We don't have crime, pollution or homeless in their numbers at all but we have to deal with their stupid rules regarding such things every daym
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 11:46 AM   #858
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post

Basically we have big cities controlling the land. Big city problems don't necessarily translate to the country people much at all but we have to go along with things because we just don't have the number of people to counter them in the vote. 98% or so of those living outside of big cities just want to live their lives and be left along but the big city people do nothing but fawk with us at every turn about everything. We don't have crime, pollution or homeless in their numbers at all but we have to deal with their stupid rules regarding such things every daym
I hear ya. I can sympathise with that
We have the same situation over here, basically :( Especially when it comes to the media. One gets the impression that the whole population live in the capital. Annoying!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
tjohanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #859
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Pretty much sums it up. The people that don't have much ( or can't/won't do anything to change their situation) have been brainwashed into thinking that it's their 'right' to have others pull their dead weight and that they should be made equals without having to put in the effort.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 08:57 PM   #860
Rock Stacker

Quote:

You basically just described Cali. LA & SF pretty much screw over the rest of this state. I was quite surprised in 2016 when I looked at votes by county...and the state is really quite red.
NoobCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote