Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: Ideas for next season Scale Series

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2010, 07:47 AM   #41
Rock Stacker

Winching should be part of this with no penalty. If you don't have one or don't want one take the points hit and keep having fun.

The idea of scalers is to build something. The Honcho is a great rig but do we really want a heard of Honchos running around? Rewarding the people who build what they want keeps new ideas coming in to the group.

As far as tires go I don't really care. As you get farther into the scale thing you will want a tire that looks closer to the real thing. Run what you have to get started then as your build grows get tires that fit what your doing.
Jgoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Run about 5 gates per course, 6 minute time limit with 69 max points. Set-up two course's with two judge's, run 1.9 on one and 2.2 on the other. If time permits maybe run a course backwards if you want a third. Have the normal time-trial, hill climb run's laid out too.

No points for using your winch but if your buddy needs a wench it'll cost him haha........ 5 points

Don't let anyone in the club that hangs out with Tim or Dan

Mandatory bbq's and strippers and everyone have fun!!!

Rubbaneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:30 AM   #43
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubbaneck View Post
That would be a good idea, property values will lower, your women magically become pregnant, and Rubba will never win a comp again

Quote:
Maybe you are not so bad afer all!!

When did the free reverse become a rule!! I sale my scaler and you become SALLIES!!:-P Must have been Rubbaneck's idea, we all know he can't pick a line!! Get rid of that one.

As far as total points. Give 10 points per gate that is laid down minus one gate. So if you have 10 gates on a course, the max out would be 90. That way someone has to at least clear one gate to finish, but allows everyone enough points to have a chance to finish. That means 89 reverses Rubba, you now have a shot!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
There are some scale point deductions values that need to change and or be added. I do not feel that going out and buying a Honcho, should receive the same amount of points that someone else gets for building a truggy and using steel to make it.
Making it your self should be rewarded over going out and buying it off the shelf.
I agree with you on this Todd, but have one issue. (Playing Devil's advocate here) You say someone that puts the time in using steel to make it. Are you talking make it yourself, or buying what someone else made With all our skilled vendors, like R2j(he's the man!!) you can have him or another vendor build you a Honco out of metal. I honestly don't see the difference from buying one from Axial or a metal version from a vendor. Just means one person has more money than someone else. Should that person be rewarded because they can buy more than the next guy?
I agree with you that the metal work should get more point deductions than plastic, it is heavier, gets hung up easier, but it should not be a huge difference. Plastic HPI bumper -2 pts, a metal one -4 pts. There really is no way to distinguish who made it themselves or bought that metal bumper?

LIke I said, just playing devils advocate on the above. I know everyone here in CO does most of there own work. I know if I need some metal work done, I don't have the skills or time anymore to do it. I will pay R2J or Dan to do it for me.

I like Mikes trail run/Follow the leader idea. I really liked it in MT, if they would have done it right Not sure on how the scoring would be, but it was fun.

I always liked our speed runs(forgot the official name) that were just for time. The only thing I would change, is we always made it obstical free for the most part. I think it should be a normal course with actual crawling based soley on time. That way you need to be fast, but also know how to drive. Some people might not finish. Not just have a 27t and a 4 cell lipo

I hope no one takes the above the wrong way, I am not attacking anyone. I generally see both sides of any situation, and sometime to brutally honest
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 12:53 PM   #44
[HOONIGAN]

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post

I agree with you on this Todd, but have one issue. (Playing Devil's advocate here) You say someone that puts the time in using steel to make it. Are you talking make it yourself, or buying what someone else made With all our skilled vendors, like R2j(he's the man!!) you can have him or another vendor build you a Honco out of metal. I honestly don't see the difference from buying one from Axial or a metal version from a vendor. Just means one person has more money than someone else. Should that person be rewarded because they can buy more than the next guy?
I agree with you that the metal work should get more point deductions than plastic, it is heavier, gets hung up easier, but it should not be a huge difference. Plastic HPI bumper -2 pts, a metal one -4 pts. There really is no way to distinguish who made it themselves or bought that metal bumper?

LIke I said, just playing devils advocate on the above. I know everyone here in CO does most of there own work. I know if I need some metal work done, I don't have the skills or time anymore to do it. I will pay R2J or Dan to do it for me.
The problem isn't about money it's about the weight difference between plastic and steel. Also plastic bumpers and rock rails slide pretty good on rock and steel doesn't.
RPMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 03:21 PM   #45
Quarry Creeper

i see it as, plastic vs metal it does not matter where it comes from. it is all on how scale YOUR rig is.
timmy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:07 PM   #46
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy85 View Post
i see it as, plastic vs metal it does not matter where it comes from. it is all on how scale YOUR rig is.
So buying plastic parts is worth just as much as building your own parts out steel? Do you have any idea how long that shit takes? I have about two weeks in a Toyota truggy and it's ALL custom. You're saying I should get the same scale points as a stock Honcho?

After reading what everyone has said about winching, I'd like to switch sides and vote no penalties for using your own winch. Maybe a 5 point penalty for needing to be winched which would cover not having a winch also.

Really, I don't care I just want to get my crap done so I can come out and have fun with you guys again.
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 06:12 PM   #47
Rock Crawler

So we arnt going to allow honchos?
neoakaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #48
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakaj View Post
I think the idea is that a honcho, because of all the plastic will get a lot less scale points then something made from steel.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post
So buying plastic parts is worth just as much as building your own parts out steel? Do you have any idea how long that shit takes? I have about two weeks in a Toyota truggy and it's ALL custom. You're saying I should get the same scale points as a stock Honcho?

After reading what everyone has said about winching, I'd like to switch sides and vote no penalties for using your own winch. Maybe a 5 point penalty for needing to be winched which would cover not having a winch also.

Really, I don't care I just want to get my crap done so I can come out and have fun with you guys again.
no way!!! i know there is a ton of work and time put into the metal work. i ment that if you have plastic bumbers and sliders you get a lower score then some one that has steel ones. it just does not matter where or who bulit it. it is still your rig. you just dont see platice sliders on a 1:1 crawler. i tryed doing some metal work on mine (fail!) but was lucky enough to get hooked up by R2j

i agree with no points for winching. and a set amount for having to be winched.
timmy85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #50
RCC Addict

Quote:
Run about 5 gates per course, 6 minute time limit with 69 max points. Set-up two course's with two judge's, run 1.9 on one and 2.2 on the other. If time permits maybe run a course backwards if you want a third. Have the normal time-trial, hill climb run's laid out too.

No points for using your winch but if your buddy needs a wench it'll cost him haha........ 5 points

I was thinking that we start off with 60. I know your into 69 and all, but there's just guys up there Rubba
If it turns out that 60 doesn't work we can always change that on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THnCS View Post

I like Mikes trail run/Follow the leader idea. I really liked it in MT, if they would have done it right Not sure on how the scoring would be, but it was fun.

I always liked our speed runs(forgot the official name) that were just for time. The only thing I would change, is we always made it obstical free for the most part. I think it should be a normal course with actual crawling based soley on time. That way you need to be fast, but also know how to drive. Some people might not finish. Not just have a 27t and a 4 cell lipo
I agree and for the most part I know who is building what. My intention is/was to separate the Honcho for the others. I'm not picking on Axials Honcho in any way, but I've heard the complaints about the "Doll House rigs", what's the difference here? I like them, but I don't feel they should get the same deduction. I also don't feel that buying parts from R2J (no offense) should be rewarded as much as someone that took the time making it themselves. Most people can see the bought parts, compaired to the garage parts.
My thought here is say a "one off" roll cage is worth -5, a bought one could be worth -3 and a plastic one could be worth -1. Each item could have a point total Bumpers, sliders, tube bed and so on.

We still do a time trial like Mike used to do. Same basic thing, but we have been doing what your talking about it and making some sections where you have to slow down and work to get through a gate or obstical to get to a gate.

I too like the group trail run they did in MT, but there is no real good way of keeping score for the type of course. We would have to have a judge for each rig running for it to be every close to be fair for scores. I'm all for it, just don't really know of a good way to add it to the events and be scored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMJ View Post
The problem isn't about money it's about the weight difference between plastic and steel. Also plastic bumpers and rock rails slide pretty good on rock and steel doesn't.
Exactly, metal parts are much more of a hindrance then there plastic counter parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almighty Malach View Post

I would fight tooth and nail to the very end about penalizing winching. It is part of scalers, and untill USRCCA starts penalizing for the use of dig I will not penalize for the use of a winch.
There needs to be a penality for getting help. I think a +5 is more then fair.

....................And hurry up and get your crap build, come out have some fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoakaj View Post
Honchos are a great truck. Really not much better out there right out of the box. They will always be welcome and people that have them I encourage to come out and have some fun with us!!!! Your just not going to get the biggest scale deductions. There are ways to do it, winch, leds, interior, drivers, scale items, and so on. They work very well and have no issues competing with the other rigs out there with us. Cato and Phil did very, very well with there Honcos at the finals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmy85 View Post
no way!!! i know there is a ton of work and time put into the metal work. i ment that if you have plastic bumbers and sliders you get a lower score then some one that has steel ones. it just does not matter where or who bulit it. it is still your rig. you just dont see platice sliders on a 1:1 crawler. i tryed doing some metal work on mine (fail!) but was lucky enough to get hooked up by R2j

i agree with no points for winching. and a set amount for having to be winched.
Come out to the events, get to know us and most of us are more then willing to help you, give you pointers about how to build things. JGoodall has even had a few scale build days. I'm sure there will be more of those in the future.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 11:54 PM   #51

Quote:
I agree and for the most part I know who is building what. My intention is/was to separate the Honcho for the others. I'm not picking on Axials Honcho in any way, but I've heard the complaints about the "Doll House rigs", what's the difference here? I like them, but I don't feel they should get the same deduction. I also don't feel that buying parts from R2J (no offense) should be rewarded as much as someone that took the time making it themselves. Most people can see the bought parts, compaired to the garage parts.
My thought here is say a "one off" roll cage is worth -5, a bought one could be worth -3 and a plastic one could be worth -1. Each item could have a point total Bumpers, sliders, tube bed and so on.
I don't necessarily agree with that idea, from my interpretation anyway.
The way I hear this if its not completely an original idea its worth less? So if I made a bumper and say I started producing them, my bumper would automatically be worth less?

I say metal is worth more, no matter who makes it and plastic is worth less.
Old 01-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #52
R.I.P. Chip

I think everyone should have to wear pirate eye patches while running the 1.9 class, and propeller hats when running the 2.2 class.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 06:23 AM   #53
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
The way I hear this if its not completely an original idea its worth less? So if I made a bumper and say I started producing them, my bumper would automatically be worth less?

I was actually thinking about that last night after I posted it. From the beginning has always just be about being metal. The weight and material were always the reason for the added points. Just becasue someone can afford to buy nicer stuff there is no reason to peanlize them for that. There will be only two point systems, Plastic and Metal.
Old 01-15-2010, 06:24 AM   #54
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
I think everyone should have to wear pirate eye patches while running the 1.9 class, and propeller hats when running the 2.2 class.
Only if you bring everyone the patches and hats.
Old 01-15-2010, 07:57 AM   #55
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post

Quote:
I was actually thinking about that last night after I posted it. From the beginning has always just be about being metal. The weight and material were always the reason for the added points. Just becasue someone can afford to buy nicer stuff there is no reason to peanlize them for that. There will be only two point systems, Plastic and Metal.
Thanks Ty and Todd, That is what my rambling tried to say!!! Metal is Metal. With all the vendors and companies making such nice metal parts and complete rigs, there really is no homemade any more.

Quote:
Only if you bring everyone the patches and hats.
x2
THnCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #56
R2j
SORRCA Committee Member

Quote:

I'm glad that you got that worked out. People buy things for different reasons, some may not have the knowledge, maybe skill, equipment or even the time. I feel very blessed and thankful to be able to do what I do for others, and I'm glad that they or I won't be penalized for it. Great job Todd!

I also agree on the winching issue. These are scale rigs and like their 1:1 big brothers they need to be able to use a winch when it's needed. My thoughts on it would to follow more of the 1:1 rules on that. So that your still trying to build a competent trail rig to drive through the gates, but if you need help, it's there for you to use.
R2j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 10:04 AM   #57

Quote:

Sounds good Todd.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:55 PM   #58