Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > West > Colorado

Notices

Thread: Interest in Rally?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-16-2011, 06:22 PM   #161
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason View Post
Those of you with the HPI Trophy trucks, MAKE SURE you tighten your wheels. My TT has less than half a pack through it, spun a wheel hex in less than 5 mintues.
I always forget to do that. Thanks for the heads up.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-2011, 07:06 PM   #162
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
Those of you with the HPI Trophy trucks, MAKE SURE you tighten your wheels. My TT has less than half a pack through it, spun a wheel hex in less than 5 mintues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
I always forget to do that. Thanks for the heads up.
Thanks for the heads up Jason. I was just getting ready to head out for the Iron Maiden Test Voyage, and read this first...all 4 of my wheels were loose

EDIT:

Just got back inside...this thing is fun! Not insanely fast but that's probably good for an idiot like me. I'm soldering deans and charging batteries for tomorrow...taking it out to the dirt!

Last edited by C*H*U*D; 11-16-2011 at 07:37 PM.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:35 PM   #163
Gettin’ back on the horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJM View Post
Just pay pal-ed a guy for a TT-01. Hoping that it gets here before Saturday. Either way I will be down to check out the track and catch up with you guys.

What tires are people running? Any suggestions on a body and who has them in stock here in town.

Looking forward to it!

Gary
A TT-01 uses a 190mm sedan body, so any car will do, although the HPI ones are usually a little wide. All the tamiya rally bodies work as well, but I don't know anyone that stocks them locally.

Everyone I have run with uses the Tamiya rally tires including me. Mainly because the HPI ones have been out of stock forever, the Associated ones are hard to find, and the academy ones are only available on ebay.

Quote:
I might buy it from you. All I really have are two 4500 7.2v NiMh cells from Cody's Wheely King.

Running it all stock for now. The slipper clutch was really loose when I tested in the basement. After running today it's still a bit loose but running good. It's not stupid fast but it's fast enough and handles great. Once I tighten the slipper some more it should accelerate faster.

I have not noticed the right side drooping more. I'll check it tonight though.

I just ordered 3 more 3800mah 2 cell hardcase lipos from Hobby King America on sunday and they showed up today. Plus they were only 17.00 a piece and shipping was something like 6.00.

I do remember my slipper being really loose as well. I tightened it till it wasn't on the threads anymore then locktited. The slipper has a good habit of coming loose quick with no locktite.

I don't remember doing anything about the wheel nuts though... I have a terrible memory anyway.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:35 PM   #164
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Thanks for the heads up Jason. I was just getting ready to head out for the Iron Maiden Test Voyage, and read this first...all 4 of my wheels were loose

EDIT:

Just got back inside...this thing is fun! Not insanely fast but that's probably good for an idiot like me. I'm soldering deans and charging batteries for tomorrow...taking it out to the dirt!
I suspect that when you and I go to make a turn on that dirt course, it'll be plenty fast......
Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
I just ordered 3 more 3800mah 2 cell hardcase lipos from Hobby King America on sunday and they showed up today. Plus they were only 17.00 a piece and shipping was something like 6.00.

I do remember my slipper being really loose as well. I tightened it till it wasn't on the threads anymore then locktited. The slipper has a good habit of coming loose quick with no locktite.

I don't remember doing anything about the wheel nuts though... I have a terrible memory anyway.
I'll put a dab of green loctite on that slipper nut once it's set.

Hobby King can kiss my arse, they are crooks. Glad you got your LiPos.
Old 11-17-2011, 07:07 AM   #165

Quote:

I'll put a dab of green loctite on that slipper nut once it's set.

Hobby King can kiss my arse, they are crooks. Glad you got your LiPos.
What did they do to you? I have almost 30 Turnigy batteries from them now and they came quickly, they were very inexpensive and I don't have a problem with a single one.

They are the only batteries that I have never had an issue with and I have never balanced a single one.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:43 AM   #166
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
What did they do to you? I have almost 30 Turnigy batteries from them now and they came quickly, they were very inexpensive and I don't have a problem with a single one.

They are the only batteries that I have never had an issue with and I have never balanced a single one.
Too many stories of people ordering stuff and never seeing it. The same stuff we ban people from the classifieds for and remove vendor stars for, but people let it go because it's Hobby King and they are dirt cheap.
"Hobby King never shipped my last order, oh well, I'll place another order and hope it will show up".

Also, the batteries I buy need to be good ones to use in my big boat; cheap LiPos are usually not as good as their rating and I don't want to take the risk of burning up my boat. Cars are not as hard on batteries as boats.

Ok, rant off. Sorry.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:01 AM   #167
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Too many stories of people ordering stuff and never seeing it. The same stuff we ban people from the classifieds for and remove vendor stars for, but people let it go because it's Hobby King and they are dirt cheap.
"Hobby King never shipped my last order, oh well, I'll place another order and hope it will show up".

Also, the batteries I buy need to be good ones to use in my big boat; cheap LiPos are usually not as good as their rating and I don't want to take the risk of burning up my boat. Cars are not as hard on batteries as boats.

Ok, rant off. Sorry.

Been dealing with Hobbyking since the store first opened, sure i've had some delays on stuff, and there was a rough patch where they took 2 weeks to send out one of my orders for things that were "in stock".

Pretty much everyone i know into RC be it, planes, Heli's, Boats or cars all have ordered from HK as well over the years.

I've never once heard them "never" seeing stuff.
Biggest problem is usually caused when people mistakenly order some batteries that are on "Back order".
The "Back orders" can take weeks even months to fill some times.

If you speak with them though they happily credit this money (even though it's now made clear the stuff is back ordered).

With regards to the quality of the Turnigy batteries, you are very very much mistaken.
I have bought and used many many different LiPo's over the years, from criminally expensive Maxamps, Nosram, SMC etc etc to other cheapo packs.
They all failed within 6 months.

Sure some people do have LiPo's fail, but every case i've seen or heard about is due to user error, or faulty charging equipment.

I personally know of folks that are using these Turnigy Nano-Tech batteries in planes valued at $6k+.
So if you take care of them they should be fine in a little boat

Don't get me wrong, i'm no Hobbyking or Turnigy fan boy, there were times a few years back when it was 50/50 if you'd get a good pack or not, to the point where i would order twice as many packs as i'd need "just in case".
But these days they're a million times better and as good if not better than any other pack i've come across, even ones costing 10x as much.

Cheers
Mark
cbr6fs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:07 AM   #168
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Just wanted to say that we used 4 of these in series in my mates Elec Baja the other weekend.
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 2S2P 65~130C Hardcase Lipo Pack

You'd struggle to find a boat that would stress batteries as much.

I then recharged a few of them and used them in my ERevo, again a tough application.

Old 11-17-2011, 11:30 AM   #169
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
Just wanted to say that we used 4 of these in series in my mates Elec Baja the other weekend.
HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : Turnigy nano-tech 6000mah 2S2P 65~130C Hardcase Lipo Pack

You'd struggle to find a boat that would stress batteries as much.

I then recharged a few of them and used them in my ERevo, again a tough application.

The amp draw of an ERevo and a 37" boat, both with 3674 motors, can't be compared. At full speed the amp draw of a car motor goes down, it doesn't require much hp to maintain speed. A boat is always under high amounts of drag and even just maintaining speed draws lots of amps. Put a data logger on your Baja, I bet you don't see 120amp spikes with a 60-80 amp average.

I am not going to comment anymore about Hobby King, I know what I know and you won't change my mind.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 AM   #170
PapaGriz Yo

Here is the esc in my boat, coupled with a Leopard 3674, 4 pole, 2200kv motor.

Hobby Wing SeaKing 180, Brushless Speed Controls | Rc Boats by OffshoreElectrics

The ESC is rated for 180 amps continuous and 360 amps burst. And these things get burned up if you run too big of a prop or for too long.

I've heard lots of stories of guys running cheap LiPos in their fast electric boats and not having problems.
I've also seen pics of boats that have had meltdows from cheap LiPos. I'm not willing to take a chance with my boat so I'm only going to buy batteries that I believe are truly capable of their rating.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:35 PM   #171
Quarry Creeper

We all have different experiences and knowledge base to draw from, that is then used to form and opinion and/or make a decision.

In my experience and that of many of of my RC mates the newer Turnigy Nano-Techs are some of the best cells we've yet found (and we've tried many, many, many).
There are some that seem to be as good and provide equivalent power or very slightly more, but these are a LOT more expensive.

My comparison was my the 1/5th scale elec Baja running the Castle XL system, not really the ERevo (although this has proved a tough task master for batteries).

Boats, ERevo's and Baja's aside there is absolutely no doubt at all that these packs work extremely well in 1/10th scale rally cars.

End of the day though it's your money your choice
Old 11-17-2011, 12:40 PM   #172

Quote:

Boats, ERevo's and Baja's aside there is absolutely no doubt at all that these packs work extremely well in 1/10th scale rally cars.
Thats all I was saying.

I didn't know you had a boat Griz, you should get a jet drive.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:08 PM   #173
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
We all have different experiences and knowledge base to draw from, that is then used to form and opinion and/or make a decision.

In my experience and that of many of of my RC mates the newer Turnigy Nano-Techs are some of the best cells we've yet found (and we've tried many, many, many).
There are some that seem to be as good and provide equivalent power or very slightly more, but these are a LOT more expensive.

My comparison was my the 1/5th scale elec Baja running the Castle XL system, not really the ERevo (although this has proved a tough task master for batteries).

End of the day though it's your money your choice
If I was only going to use the batteries in my cars, crawlers, and trucks, then yes, I believe the cheap batteries would work for me no problem. And yes, they would work extremely well in a rally car.

I may rethink and buy cheap ones for the cars and buy some expensive ones for the boat. You all already have me thinking.
Quote:
Thats all I was saying.

I didn't know you had a boat Griz, you should get a jet drive.
Yep, bought one a couple months ago after a year of research.

I'd need about 4 of those NQD jet drives.

Old 11-17-2011, 01:21 PM   #174
I wanna be Dave

I've had awesome luck with my Sky Lipos from hobbypartz. They ship from Cali, and seem underrated. I've got a hard case 4000mAh 30c for this and the drifter and the brushless monster truck. 120 amps constant, 240 burst. They've got these in 40c too, so 5000mAh would give you 200 constant, 400 burst. A lot of airplane guys swear by them.

The nano-techs are pretty interesting, and no one can force you to buy from hkusa, but for the mini trophy, most batteries will work fine.

I might try to stop by the track before work saturday, I want to check out everyone's cars, and see a lap or two run.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:22 PM   #175
R.I.P. Chip

They make a giant jet that would power that thing just fine.
jason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 01:24 PM   #176
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
I've seen that bad boy.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:30 PM   #177

Quote:
Thats what I was thinking!

Graupner Jet Propulsion Unit 5 (2347), Water Jet Drives by Graupner for Model Boats
Old 11-17-2011, 01:34 PM   #178
PapaGriz Yo

Here's my best comparison for boats and trucks.

I have a 10T Cobalt Puller that I have run for years on everything up to 4S LiPo. I've truck pulled with it, mud bogged with it, crawled with it, geared it to 84/20 in Pepe for more wheelspeed. It has never once hiccuped or let me down.

So I bought a 26" boat with a brushed 550 motor and thought "surely that 10T puller is a better motor". So I put the 10T puller in, built a custom water cooling tube for it, and went to a smaller prop to take off some load. Running on 3S that 10T was at 200 degrees with smoke rolling out of it within 30 seconds of running on the water.

That's when I was a believer that car stuff doesn't belong in boats.
Old 11-17-2011, 01:37 PM   #179
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Nah.....This one.

HobbyKing R/C Hobby Store : CNC Precision Jet Boat Drive - X-Large
Old 11-17-2011, 01:48 PM   #180
R.I.P. Chip

Quote: