Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Duratrax Cliff Climber

Notices

Thread: Is this a crawler motor for the C.C. ?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-28-2009, 02:43 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Hey Jbugman, What about these 390 motor on the Banebot site

http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M5-RS390-12

18oz of torque is about 2/3 of a silvercan 27T 540.
Little fast at 12v, so what about 6-7cells. 7000RPM, but wait for the 9/10T pinion from Korea (another thread).
Wonder what the torque is on 6cells?
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2009, 04:23 PM   #82
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweli View Post
Hey Jbugman, What about these 390 motor on the Banebot site

http://banebots.com/pc/MOTOR-BRUSH/M5-RS390-12

18oz of torque is about 2/3 of a silvercan 27T 540.
Little fast at 12v, so what about 6-7cells. 7000RPM, but wait for the 9/10T pinion from Korea (another thread).
Wonder what the torque is on 6cells?
I ordered them, and they just came in today. Too fast on 14.4V, but seems about right on 7.2V. Still way more torque than stock. Mounting them is kinda tricky, though. I just moved my links to the outside of the link mount, and they fit snugly, but they fit. I am limited by my damaged pinions that I keep trying to solder back on the motor shafts. They hold up for a while, but not long.
spartacus_nuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 08:37 PM   #83
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdbugman View Post
I have two of those motors I use them in planes they are just like the ones from holmes. I have tryed them in my rc trucks and they have such a wicked startup. you realy have to lay the power on them to get them to start turning. but once they do look out. they are super powerfull. I have had them in boats and planes but in these you set them to a power band in and very rarely start/stop the motor. in my trucks they just destroyed the drivetrains.
Hey jdbugman,
Are those 400 cobalts really only 38mm long on the body?
Are they 3pole or 5pole?

thx
Old 03-31-2009, 04:47 PM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Glad you guys are working on this, wish I could help but my electronic knowledge is limited. Sounds like you've almost got it figured out.

Keep the updates coming.
brokenb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:56 PM   #85
I wanna be Dave

Has any of you compared to a holme's 454 motor?, are these any torquier? i will finally try my 454 on thursday when my novak pinion come in.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 09:11 PM   #86
RCC Addict

Crap, the first Promax 3745 370 motor I wound 140T is working great.
Second one crapped in 5 mins., with a loose wire.
Rewound it again tonight, and it runs slower, and gets noticably hot in about 10-15secs and then slows down more.

The first one has OK torque, and decent wheel speed on 12v. With 9T pinions it would be about it for me.

Cannot put my finger on this second motors problem. Tried all sorts of timing adjustments. Cleaned the brushes. Notta.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:14 PM   #87
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Crap, the first Promax 3745 370 motor I wound 140T is working great.
Second one crapped in 5 mins., with a loose wire.
Rewound it again tonight, and it runs slower, and gets noticably hot in about 10-15secs and then slows down more.

The first one has OK torque, and decent wheel speed on 12v. With 9T pinions it would be about it for me.

Cannot put my finger on this second motors problem. Tried all sorts of timing adjustments. Cleaned the brushes. Notta.
If the timing is off just a little, then that second motor getting hot may be taking all the load. Try lowering the timing on that motor just a bit and see if that helps. Another thing that happened to me when trying to max out the windings is the wires were just barely rubbing on the magnet and shorting out. The motor worked, but it got scalding hot very quickly. Hope this helps.
As soon as get new pinions, I will resume testing. I just got my daughter's CC prebuilt in today (4th birthday and she said she wanted barbie dolls and a rock crawler) and tried out my 110 turn motors on 7.2V. They stall a little, but they were going pretty well. Speed is just right. Torque is pretty good, much better than stock. The way she drives my wife's MRC, I knew she wouldn't be satisfied with the stock motors or servos, either. I am even painting it "Princess Pink", a mix of rasberry pearl and faschange purple.

I think those long can 400's may be just right on 7.2V, and I will find out when I get my pinions.

Last edited by spartacus_nuc; 03-31-2009 at 11:15 PM. Reason: grammatical error
Old 04-01-2009, 04:29 AM   #88
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_nuc View Post
If the timing is off just a little, then that second motor getting hot may be taking all the load. Try lowering the timing on that motor just a bit and see if that helps.
Nice little motors, but no timing marks.
Has a raised bump on the endbell, but nothing on the can anywhere.

I trial and errored the first motor and must have hit it right on.

I am going to try and swap rotors between cans, then endbells. See what the problem follows. But I smell a third rewrap coming.

It will all have to wait. Busy week (three kids), and pre packing to take the kids to visit the grandparents in Arkansas. Not all bad though. Wife limiting kids and I to taking 2 trucks, as the grandparents have decent rocks on their prop.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:14 AM   #89
RCC Addict

Default 180/280 gearmotors

So what about small gearmotors?

Like this Pololu robot 180/280 w/25:1 gearbox.

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1092/specs

It puts out 40oz of torque at 6v. Isn't that as much as (or slightly more then) a 540 silver can stock 27T?
44mm long assembly.
Notes say they can be run up to 9v also.

Is it overworking this little guy?
Old 04-01-2009, 10:07 AM   #90
~THE SCALE SHOP~

i dont think going to a smaller motor is the answer, and with all that reduction its gonna be mega slow to make the same torque as what were all testing now.
STANG KILLA SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:16 AM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
So what about small gearmotors?

Like this Pololu robot 180/280 w/25:1 gearbox.

http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/1092/specs

It puts out 40oz of torque at 6v. Isn't that as much as (or slightly more then) a 540 silver can stock 27T?
44mm long assembly.
Notes say they can be run up to 9v also.

Is it overworking this little guy?
Here is a link to some 12v gearmotors. They all seem a little long (nothing a little engineering can't fix)
http://www.anaheimautomation.com/bru...ear-motor.aspx

Edit: rpms look too low on most of these. Searched around there site and found this http://www.anaheimautomation.com/man...7%20Series.pdf Might be of interest on 3 or 4 cell lipo

Last edited by Mr Glassman; 04-01-2009 at 10:33 AM.
Mr Glassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 01:40 PM   #92
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
i dont think going to a smaller motor is the answer, and with all that reduction its gonna be mega slow to make the same torque as what were all testing now.
The free run speed is 500 rpm. So lets say with a normal weight rig, you get 400 rpm on a flat.

400rpm = 6.67 Revs per sec
Run that through the +/-28:1 ratio of the stock axle and you get 0.238 revs per sec of the wheel.
2 x PI x r = circumference of the tire = 2 x 3.14 x 2.3 = 14.44

How far you would travel on a flat would be 14.44 x 0.238 = 3.44 inches per second.

That is at 6v, and they claim that motor can handle up to 9v.
RPM at 9v would be a third higher yet. And additional torque also.

I agree the motor seems small, but its spins at 12,500 before its geared down. I just don't know when it's loaded up, will it burn up the brushes or other?
Old 04-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #93
~THE SCALE SHOP~

agreed, not designed for high amp draws. i just dont think going smaller is our answer, its our problem, not the solution
that motor will just be too slow.
Old 04-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #94
Rock Crawler

With the abundance of electric motors in the world today, I find it hard to believe that people have to resort to wiring their own to get the desired performance. There has to be an easier way. Either that or shame on Duratrax, shame shame!
Ripperfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #95
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripperfi View Post
With the abundance of electric motors in the world today, I find it hard to believe that people have to resort to wiring their own to get the desired performance. There has to be an easier way. Either that or shame on Duratrax, shame shame!
Yes, shame on duratrax! If they only increased the gear ratio by a factor on 2, the stock motors would have been perfect.
Old 04-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus_nuc View Post
Yes, shame on duratrax! If they only increased the gear ratio by a factor on 2, the stock motors would have been perfect.
I'm surprised a company hasn't built a pinion to work. If that would make as big of a difference as I'm sure it would they could sell lots.
brokenb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:41 PM   #97
Rock Stacker

0.6 module is kind of an oddball pitch, and even if someone made a smaller pinion, 9T is probably the smallest pinion that will work on the cc, and even that will require some trimming. 11T-13T is designed range of pinions with 380 sized motors. I just got my new pinions in, and will be hammering some new motor winds on the rocks this weekend. I really want to push those long can 400's till they cry and see what they are capable of with a pinion that isn't spinning on the shaft. Maybe if we all emailed Duratrax and asked for revised 'crawler specific gearing' for the cc, they would consider making something available.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:12 AM   #98
RCC Addict

Is anyone going to try mounting 540's like that other guy did?
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 09:05 AM   #99
~THE SCALE SHOP~

pics? link? i havent seen any one mount up 540s....
Old 04-03-2009, 09:24 AM   #100
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by STANG KILLA SS View Post
pics? link? i havent seen any one mount up 540s....

cliff climber gear pitch
InFlames is offline   Reply With Quote