Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: esc for winch control

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 05:50 PM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: esc for winch control

All right. Hey Kurtis 420 I need your help. I think I got a broken miniqlo esc. I tried to find directions for programming it but was unable to. Here's whats going on. I created a splitter that takes the power directly from the battery and shoots it to the esc. Now what's happening is as soon as the battery is pluggted in the winch starts to run. Even if I turn off the on/off switch it still runs althought it is a little slower. I tried running it off of a 7.2 volt battey as well and it still does the same thing. I've even tried it on different channels and it still has the same problem. Which line do you have to take out for the bec, the center red one correct? In the mean a controller out of a serco controller and power it off the esc. I hope you can help. Thanks in advance.
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 06:34 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

It sounds like you are directly powering the RX through the BEC. Thus, when you plug in the battery the winch has power until the TX is connected.

Sorta answers the question itself........

If you run the external BEC to the RX, remove the red wire from the ESC to the RX....this limits the power to the RX.

Yet another reason why I ONLY run the external BEC direct to the steering servo.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 04-15-2012 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Fix stupid typo.....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 06:52 PM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
It sounds like you are diredtly powering the RX through the BEC. Thus, when you plug in the battery the winch has power until the TX is connected.

If you run the external BEC to the RX, remove the red wire from the ESC to the RX....this limits the power to the rX.

Yet another reason why I ONLY run the external BEC direct to the steering servo.
You may have answered the question here so I wont try to help to much, in my situation it worked great but thats cause I run both my servo and winch at 7v regulated with the cc bec. It just made it so I could run my 1x 3s lipo to power the whole rig and since I never overload my steering servo while winching its not a problem for me.

The tx shoud always be on first anyways making this a non issue, I always turn my tx on before turning the rx on incase the rig decided to take off on you.

Buckwylde, I usually just rewire the esc rx wire to have red wire acting as the main battery lead as well as the black by cutting the red from inside the esc and resoldering it to the red battery lead, black stays as it is since it already is a ground and white is rx control wire and stays as is then I cut the battery leads right off. This makes a clean servo type controller that is powered off of the esc.

The other option would be to pull the red lead from the esc then power it from a 2s lipo or a cc bec at 7-8volts to the battery leads then wire the rx lead(red capped off) into the 3rd channel on the rx. If your still having issues then the esc is pooched.

You can't program the miniqlo esc to my knowledge it is just wire and run like the rc4wd esc's. How have you wired it?
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
It sounds like you are diredtly powering the RX through the BEC. Thus, when you plug in the battery the winch has power until the TX is connected.

If you run the external BEC to the RX, remove the red wire from the ESC to the RX....this limits the power to the rX.

I already pulled the red wire and not having to run an external bec is one of the reasons I spent the extra cash on a Holmes BRXL.
I also don't understand your first paragraph. The winch has power even when it's plugged into the rx. It has power even when I turn off the the esc. You do understand charlie that I'm running a second esc solely to control the winch right?
Old 04-15-2012, 07:33 PM   #25
Quarry Creeper

The way I wired it is I made a y harness that runs from the battery to the 2 esc's. I removed the red wire from the mini q esc to the reciever. I had the tx on when I plugged in the battery. I'll take some pictures and upload them in a minute.
Old 04-15-2012, 07:37 PM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bukwylde View Post
I already pulled the red wire and not having to run an external BEC is one of the reasons I spent the extra cash on a Holmes BRXL.
I also don't understand your first paragraph. The winch has power even when it's plugged into the RX. It has power even when I turn off the the ESC. You do understand Charlie-III that I'm running a second ESC solely to control the winch right?
OK, I just reread the whole thread......thanks.

If the 2nd ESC (winch ESC) is powered but the RX is not, who knows what will happen........

I may be missing something, but.....when you power up, TX 1st, RX 2nd......when powering down....RX 1st, TX 2nd.

I currently have a 2nd hand rig that has the external BEC to the RX. I hate that since I can have the rig powered but not the TX. Every other rig I own is set that the RX is dead until I turn it on.....has nothing to do with the battery being connected or not.

Does this help or not?

Not slamming you, just asking since I believe a few of us are not sure.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 07:56 PM   #27
Quarry Creeper

Here are some pics of my wiring mess.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 PM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
OK, I just reread the whole thread......thanks.

If the 2nd ESC (winch ESC) is powered but the RX is not, who knows what will happen........

I may be missing something, but.....when you power up, TX 1st, RX 2nd......when powering down....RX 1st, TX 2nd.

I currently have a 2nd hand rig that has the external BEC to the RX. I hate that since I can have the rig powered but not the TX. Every other rig I own is set that the RX is dead until I turn it on.....has nothing to do with the battery being connected or not.

Does this help or not?

Not slamming you, just asking since I believe a few of us are not sure.

I'm not feeling slammed at all. But I don't understand how powering up and down has any relation to my problem. If I connect the miniqlo esc to power without the main esc being involved at all or being hooked up to the rx the winch operates. If I have it hooked up to the main esc, the reciever I turn on the tx then plug in the battery the winch operates. If i leave it like this and turn off the switch to the miniqlo esc the winch operates, just a little slower. Also the rx is powered my the main esc and the car still works fine. It just seems that the miniq esc has a short somewhere inside because it supplies power to the winch whenever it is connected to power.

Last edited by Bukwylde; 04-15-2012 at 08:07 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:13 PM   #29
RCC Addict

Is your center position set to zero? You may have it set up so it is seeing a signal when centered so make sure you go full end point in position 1, off or zero endpoint in center and full again in reverse. What radio are u using?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:24 PM   #30
RCC Addict

Idk it really sounds like a defective unit, email rcmart for a replacement before hacking into it
Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #31
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtus420 View Post
Is your center position set to zero? You may have it set up so it is seeing a signal when centered so make sure you go full end point in position 1, off or zero endpoint in center and full again in reverse. What radio are u using?

Yeah it's centered. It's only a rocker on a 4pl. The fact that it runs even when the switch to the miniqlo is off is why I'm fairly certain there's a problem with the esc. But for one last try here's a crappy diagram I drew . I'm hoping I did something wrong because I don't want to go through the hastle of trying to return the thing especially since I cut the power wire to create my y harness.
Attached Images

Old 04-15-2012, 08:31 PM   #32
Rock Stacker

i have a similar esc i just hooked up today to run my 3racing winch...i hooked it up about the same way you did....I gave it power from my battery and ran wires to reciever with out red wire.....When i turn the switch off for the main esc the winch esc stays on( but i did put the switch wires together..) My winch does not work unless the main esc is powered up....Not sure what yours is doing....sounds like a short to me....Did you have two different ends on the esc? the one you have going to the winch is the one i had to put to the battery and the other was smaller and goes to the winch....Can u post pics of both ends...
cherokee pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 08:37 PM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee pat View Post
i have a similar esc i just hooked up today to run my 3racing winch...i hooked it up about the same way you did....I gave it power from my battery and ran wires to reciever with out red wire.....When i turn the switch off for the main esc the winch esc stays on( but i did put the switch wires together..) My winch does not work unless the main esc is powered up....Not sure what yours is doing....sounds like a short to me....Did you have two different ends on the esc? the one you have going to the winch is the one i had to put to the battery and the other was smaller and goes to the winch....Can u post pics of both ends...

My main esc does not have an on/off switch. Also not sure what you can't see in the pics I've already posted?
Old 04-15-2012, 08:49 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

On my esc i had two connectors one was smaller then the other...that smaller connector was the motor side and the bigger was the bat side....could yous be hooked up backwards...if the battery was hooled up it would back feed the esc and give power to the winch directly instead of through the reciever...Just a thought...As for the pics it was to see if the ends were differant....Mine is male to motor female to bat.......
Old 04-15-2012, 08:53 PM   #35
RCC Addict

Idk, it is really weird and sound like a wiring issue to me, he's asking if you wire your battery lead from the miniqlo esc to te motor by accident. The jst plug should go to the battery and the funny white plug that's cut off goes to the motor so this may be the issue unless you changed that, good eye Cherokee pat

Last edited by kurtus; 04-15-2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:54 PM   #36
RCC Addict

Oh pat beat me to his explanation lol
Old 04-15-2012, 08:58 PM   #37
Rock Stacker

very well said...thats exactly what i was tring to say....Not sure if thats the problem but thats what it looks like to me.....
Old 04-15-2012, 08:59 PM   #38
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtus420 View Post
Idk, it is really weird and sound like a wiring issue to me, he's asking if you wire your battery lead from the miniqlo esc to te motor by accident. The jr plug should go to the battery and the funny white plug that's cut off goes the the motor so this may be the issue unless you changed that, good eye Cherokee pat

HOLY CRAP! I'll poop myself if I wired the friggin thing backwards. Well I'll change it tomorrow and let you know. THANK YOU every one, this has been a long convoluted thread but if this works i will have been worth it. (For me at least! LOL!)
Old 04-15-2012, 09:09 PM   #39
RCC Addict

I just did it by accident with my fxr, writing is so damn small I can hardly see it so it happens. I wasn't so lucky with the outcome though.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #40
Rock Crawler

quick question here, why u need to take out the red wire from winch's esc when u plug into RX?? will I get any issues if I don't take out the red wire?
rcscaler is offline   Reply With Quote

esc for winch control - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winch Control DustyfX4 Electronics 9 12-06-2011 06:43 AM
winch control djmikeb Electronics 4 03-07-2011 08:25 PM
3 racing winch control redjeeper General Crawlers 4 01-13-2010 01:44 AM
3R winch and control msd44 Scale Accessories 4 05-03-2009 11:42 AM