LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 10:45 AM   #61
RCC Addict

Default Re: esc for winch control

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Any of these controllers will work with 3S
Winch Controller - Relay Driven - External Power
awesome Heyok, I did find those yesterday and I'm happy you linked them but I was actually wondering if buckwyld figured out the issue, I know I wasn't very clear on the way I asked that, sorry.
kurtus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-2012, 06:22 PM   #62
Quarry Creeper

Well here's the verdict. I apparently did have the esc wired backwards. There are no markings on it and it didn't come with any instructions. So after rewiring it it did work...sort of. I did have control of it from the tx but only going one direction. Then after about a minute of futzing with it the winch began to move slowly theniot stopped. I hooked up a 7.2 volt battery t directly to the winch and it still works. So it appears that the poor miniqlo esc was a victim of my ignorance and was not desiged to have 11 volts running through it backwards for an extended period of time.

And as for it not being designed for 3s, well I may have miss understood the gentleman earlier discussing sfa amps and figured that the motor would only be able to draw limited amps and therefore the weaker esc would suffice. But I'm still pretty sure that I had screwed the little guy up long before wiring it correctly. All well, live and learn I guess. Thanks evryone for all your time and help!

Last edited by Bukwylde; 04-17-2012 at 09:11 PM. Reason: million typos
Bukwylde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 08:23 AM   #63
Rock Stacker

that sucks that it didnt work....I am using the one that you said you where going to buy off ebay and it works better then the stock 3racing one.the only thing is you have to double bump the switch to get it to run in....runs out just fine...I also heard the other option is to run a tekin bk1?...i think is what it is...brushed 1/18 esc...they run about 50.00.....might check that out.....Good luck..
cherokee pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:01 PM   #64
Rock Crawler

ok, back to this thread...

before i knew of heyoks controllers i ended up with a 3racing deal.
i have a cc bec and run 3s.
question is: can i hook the battery input leads for the winch controller directly to the corresponding colored
rx leads coming FROM the bec? i dont want to run a seperate 2s pack..
ALSO on the rx leads from the controller should i pull the red wire just like i did on my mamba per the bec instructions?
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:07 PM   #65
Rock Crawler

any wiring diagrams out there?

maybe even using the stock esc bec wire as a power source?
Old 05-13-2012, 01:04 PM   #66
RCC Addict

It should work fine, you might only need to change the red bec wire of the esc into the positive battery wire, if that doesnt do it cut the black and attach that to the black battery lead of the esc but I think it will be grounded fine without this step
Old 05-13-2012, 02:31 PM   #67
Rock Crawler

cool. so before i start soldering and heat shrinking:
red rx harness wire from ESC to positive battery lead of winch controller.
may NOT need to do anything else...

additional step would be to attach the negative battery lead of winch controller to the negative that directly connects to the battery...?

sorry i just wanna make sure im doing right...
Old 05-13-2012, 04:08 PM   #68
RCC Addict

Yes you got it, you need to bypass the bec in the esc by cutting the red rx wire and sending the esc + red lead to the red esc rx lead that plugs into the rx
Old 05-13-2012, 05:54 PM   #69
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kurtus420 View Post
Yes you got it, you need to bypass the bec in the esc by cutting the red rx wire and sending the esc + red lead to the red esc rx lead that plugs into the rx
Brother, I smoked south Florida crippy for ten years straight,
wake n bake and till the cows came home... u said I got it right
But reading what u just wrote hurt my brain!

My controller has a 3wire rx harness a 2 wire motor plug and 2 wire battery input plug..
I unplugged the red rx harness wire of the winch controller
I'm going to connect the winch controllers battery input red to the mamba esc rx harness
wire (red bec) I pulled from the plug per cc instructions..

I may need to dig out my jarome baker.....
Old 05-13-2012, 10:05 PM   #70
RCC Addict

lol, this is hard to explain. Basically the red you pulled from the rx lead of the winch esc is the bec wire and doesn't get connected to anything, you need to run the battery + lead of the esc into the spot where the red bec lead used to be. Does that make sense?? Sorry I'm trying to make it easier for connection but having a hard time getting that point across. If you cut the red on the winch esc and leave a bit sticking out at the rx connector it will give you enough to connect the battery + lead too, do not connect the battery lead to the bec red wire coming out of the winch esc.

What that means is that the bec which is feeding the rx power will send power into the rx, you need to make the winch esc get the power from the rx by putting the battery + lead into the rx connector so it powers the winch esc. Red lead coming out of the winch esc is not connected to anything. Hope I didnt confuse you more.

FWIW I just quit smoking the bc bud and thats probably why I'm over explaining things, life was so much simpler when I was blazing lol

Last edited by kurtus; 05-13-2012 at 10:09 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 06:55 PM   #71
Rock Crawler

Hahaha
been done here for just over a year!
I got what u are saying. Ill give it a shot.
What about using the red bec wire from my mamba as a source?
Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 PM   #72
RCC Addict

dont do it, the mamba bec wont have enough amperage to handle the load, they are prone to brown out when over driven with a high torque steering servo hense the need for a cc bec which is rated at 10amps.

Good for you for sticking to it man, quiting is not an easy chore and its sounds like you where an all day smoker just like me, feel smarter already lol
Old 05-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #73
Rock Crawler

Right on.
As soon as I get a minute in the cave ill hook up that wiring.

Can't say i don't miss occasional safety meetings. Clear heads accomplish sooo much more tho..
Old 05-29-2012, 08:16 PM   #74
Rock Crawler

I run my scaler on 4s and was thinking of adding a servo winch that was controlled with an esc. If I were to chang the end points from that channel on the rx do you think it would be okay for the esc. I was planning on running just a cheap one that was laying around maybe from a rtr kit or something like that. The plan is to save a little cash by using what I have here with buying minimal extras. The donar servo was a hobbico cs150.
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Your mind is on the right track with reducing the end points in order to limit the power that your ESC will produce, but there is another factor at work. The components in the ESC, in particular the capacitors, are likely only rated for the operating voltage that they specify in the ESC specs. Also, the transistors and some other components might not work for very long at the higher voltage. This is something that you probably shouldn't fudge as it will likely burn out on you.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:21 AM   #76
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyok View Post
Your mind is on the right track with reducing the end points in order to limit the power that your ESC will produce, but there is another factor at work. The components in the ESC, in particular the capacitors, are likely only rated for the operating voltage that they specify in the ESC specs. Also, the transistors and some other components might not work for very long at the higher voltage. This is something that you probably shouldn't fudge as it will likely burn out on you.

There is always alot of things to consider when wiring up your toys and i can t agree more with Heyoks statement above. If you want to run 4s through your esc then you might want to look at one that can take it. I think the micro pro's will as well as the B1R's with a 4s cap.(I run the B1R's on all of my QS winches on 4s) Using the ESC with a good 4 channel radio will allow you to program the steps in the radio channel allowing you to have multiple speeds in your winch!!
SDS Customz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:17 PM   #77
Rock Crawler

Thanks for the help. Do you think that I could add one of the 4s cap's and just try it out or should I try and leave the board on the servo for now and run it off the rx with a bec. I am running it off a 4pk if that helps with any decisions. You guys save me a lot of time with your knowledge, thanks again.

Last edited by Grimreeper; 05-30-2012 at 08:18 PM. Reason: more questions
Grimreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:35 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimreeper View Post
Thanks for the help. Do you think that I could add one of the 4s cap's and just try it out or should I try and leave the board on the servo for now and run it off the rx with a bec. I am running it off a 4pk if that helps with any decisions. You guys save me a lot of time with your knowledge, thanks again.
My opinion is biased, so do what's best for you.

Run one of my winch controllers!
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 02:10 PM   #79
Pebble Pounder

How do you set up the esc I have a spare fxr I can use for a winch controller
1santaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 06:31 PM   #80
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1santaever View Post
How do you set up the esc I have a spare fxr I can use for a winch controller
What radio are you running? There are many ways to set it up. Straight in/out or variable speed are easy to do.

Dna
dna4engr is offline   Reply With Quote

esc for winch control - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Winch Control DustyfX4 Electronics 9 12-06-2011 06:43 AM
winch control djmikeb Electronics 4 03-07-2011 08:25 PM
3 racing winch control redjeeper General Crawlers 4 01-13-2010 01:44 AM
3R winch and control msd44 Scale Accessories 4 05-03-2009 11:42 AM