Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What the newest cheap servo hotness?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2019, 05:54 PM   #781
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: What the newest cheap servo hotness?

Been hearing some failure reports regarding the DS3225 25KG servo - but I just haven't had a rig to try mine in, it's been laying around for months.

I'll also need to get a DS3218 Pro to try out somewhere soon, nice catch!

Still have a v1 SHV500 Holmes Hobbies kickin' tail in my Revolver-powered Bomber - direct powered by 3S.

(Also a ProModeler PM470 that overheated and locked up on me that I keep forgetting to send in for service...)

About to finally test one of those JX BLS-12V7146 (cough...cough... HH SHV500v1 copy) servos that I bought on sale before the story behind them got out, I would not have bought it had I known.

Hopefully it'll steer 1.9" tires while powered by the new 3S balance lead power connector I recently picked up.

My old SHV500 has been using a Gearhead RC inline XT60 connector, interested in this as a possibly more convenient alternative method of tapping directly into the vehicle's 3S LiPo pack.
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2019, 10:07 PM   #782
Quarry Creeper

Any further reccomendations? I just installed a JX 20kg WP servo, and the Spektrum S6240 (15.5kg) it replaced has more power @6v. So looking for some budget hotness. around $30-40 budget.
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 01:48 AM   #783
Quarry Creeper

I just found this one.

HDKJ D3625
nedmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 05:15 AM   #784
RCC Addict

For $35 the Turnigy 959v2 seems to be a great servo so far with plenty of power for my Trx. Only downside is that the hw1080 ESC only has a 3a internal BEC and this servo needs more then that. From servo tests I've seen it stalls at 7.4a. so you will need a external BEC. I'm going with a CC 10A and a bypass harness. Here's my comparison video between the power HD 20k (277oz in) and the Turnigy 959v2 (416oz in) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDiaXK_pWk
AnimalHippie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:54 AM   #785

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimalHippie View Post
For $35 the Turnigy 959v2 seems to be a great servo so far with plenty of power for my Trx. Only downside is that the hw1080 ESC only has a 3a internal BEC and this servo needs more then that. From servo tests I've seen it stalls at 7.4a. so you will need a external BEC. I'm going with a CC 10A and a bypass harness. Here's my comparison video between the power HD 20k (277oz in) and the Turnigy 959v2 (416oz in) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pfDiaXK_pWk
I use a 959v2 in my Gen7 and I'm very happy with it. Even running directly off the stock WP1040 ESC, I haven't had any brown-outs yet. While the servo may be able to draw more than 3A, so far I haven't encountered a situation where it actually did.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 08:40 AM   #786
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim85IROC View Post
I use a 959v2 in my Gen7 and I'm very happy with it. Even running directly off the stock WP1040 ESC, I haven't had any brown-outs yet. While the servo may be able to draw more than 3A, so far I haven't encountered a situation where it actually did.

I haven't had any brownouts, but am getting very jittery/jerky steering with wheels off the ground. I was told that a BEC should solve that problem.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 AM   #787

that's... odd. That's the situation where a BEC is the least useful. There isn't a situation where the servo will draw LESS current except when it's idle. If the ESC is providing dirty power I could see it glitching in that situation, but my WP1040 seems to provide clean enough power for that not to happen.
Jim85IROC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:36 AM   #788
RCC Addict

Quote:
I haven't had any brownouts, but am getting very jittery/jerky steering with wheels off the ground. I was told that a BEC should solve that problem.

I have cheap servos that do that with power directly from a clean source, i.e. a separate battery. Hell I have servos that do that on the bench with absolutely no load on them.
What you have there is a control board issues, just enough the the lad from the wheel touching the ground stops the little bit of power being provided. BEC's are not the end all be all that they once where. They are still important and have a place, but they don't solve every issue.

Other then annoying you, does it cause the servo to over heat or any issues driving? If not chalk it up to buying a cheap ars servo(assuming that because of the thread you posted in)

save yourself some headaches, spend two bucks and get a servo tester and bench test your servos on a 1s or 2s battery.

Last edited by Ditchrat; 01-22-2019 at 09:38 AM.
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:15 AM   #789
RCC Addict

I don't really notice it while crawling but I only ran it for 10mins or so after I installed it. Didn't notice the issue till a couple days later when I was messing around with the endpoints on the bench. I didn't want to mess anything up so I shut it off. Asked a friend about the issue. He said that it needed A BEC. I'm new to the RC world and he has been in it for many years and had used these servos before. I will plug it into the dingo RX next chance I get and see if it's the same problem. I just don't want to burn up anything is why I haven't ran it anymore. I miss running my Trx, but until I get the problem solved. It's on the shelf I don't have any 1s or 2s batteries to test it with. If it does the same on the dingo. I'll pull it out and take it with me to the LHS. Maybe they have a tester.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:37 AM   #790
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I've had a few of these before. A cheap fix for most of those situations is just a typical glitch-buster cap.

I keep a bunch on hand and try that first, especially if it's a situation where I know the servo isn't really trying to pull max amps from the ESC's BEC. Some servos are just sensitive to what some ESCs put out and the cap cleans it up.
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 10:56 AM   #791
RCC Addict

Tonight when I get home I'll throw it on the bench and shoot a quick video so you guys can see what it's doing before I go spending money I don't have. I try my best diagnose and fix. not to be a parts changer. If I wasn't a crawler on a budget I'd just go get one of each and some other goodies, but $ is King and I don't have none lmao! Peasant life for me!
Old 01-22-2019, 02:35 PM   #792
I wanna be Dave

Glitch busters are a 35 cent capacitor and a set of leads up a Futaba plug.
Make one cheap or get one made for $5.
You will have to look for them at $5.
Many now are up to $10.

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 03:44 PM   #793
RCC Addict

Here's the video of what it's doing. https://youtu.be/6gePGX1iQlk throttle is good only steering being twitchy
Old 01-22-2019, 05:50 PM   #794
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
That does seem like a nice servo for the price. I had never heard of it, so I googled it, and the second result was this thread with your video. Be careful posting videos on YouTube with background music, my wife made a few long ones, took her days locked away in front of the computer, only to have them all deleted for the music. Anyways I'll keep this servo in mind, come spring I'll be getting a new one for my wraith, my powerhd 23kg isn't what it once was. It'll make a decent shift servo though. Let us know how it holds up.
I had weird issues with a DS3218 being glitchy, kinda like yours, and a separate bec just for the servo solved it. Tried the bec running reciever and servo, still did it. Needed separate power to run properly.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
Steve g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 07:50 PM   #795
RCC Addict

Quote:
Here's the video of what it's doing. https://youtu.be/6gePGX1iQlk throttle is good only steering being twitchy

I have a servo that does that. It is on a 4wheel steer rig, both with the same servo. One does it one doesn't.

Took it apart and it is a bad contact in the pot. Switched it out for I good one pulled of a scrap servo and no issues.

Watch this video starting at 30 secs, youll see your twitchyness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZtVSov8AHQ
Ditchrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 09:25 PM   #796
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Glitch busters are a 35 cent capacitor and a set of leads up a Futaba plug.
Make one cheap or get one made for $5.
You will have to look for them at $5.
Many now are up to $10.

Hang up and Drive
I get mine at HK. Yeah I could make them myself but meh...
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...protector.html

Quote:
99% sure a glitch buster (or voltage protector as HK calls them) will cure that.
RadioFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:11 PM   #797
RCC Addict

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=...0-9fd6ba0d53c2

SPT 32kg waterproof Coreless servo for USD 22.00 also available in 25kg
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:19 PM   #798
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teng View Post
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=...0-9fd6ba0d53c2

SPT 32kg waterproof Coreless servo for USD 22.00 also available in 25kg
English:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/SPT-...943529775.html
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 05:25 PM   #799
RCC Addict

Good find Durok
Teng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:14 PM   #800
RCC Addict

I got something Italian or something.
I would try the 32g one that is rated up to 8.4v- wonder how it would do on 7.4 on a hw1080.
I'm disappointed in at least one of my ds3218's - no problem stalling it out on the rocks.
Browneye is offline   Reply With Quote

What the newest cheap servo hotness? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Some New T1Erc Hotness! rockpayne Chassis and Suspension 75 05-02-2014 06:23 PM
The new bling hotness WHITE-TRASH Axial AX-10 Scorpion 179 08-11-2013 01:34 PM
New Hotness 4xFord Superclass Crawlers 48 10-21-2012 08:29 PM
The Hotness hitman46mod General Crawlers 111 08-20-2011 01:42 PM