Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #161
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaOldSchool View Post
I just got that same kit for my TRX4 lights. How did you power the control box? Haven’t done any install research yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It was tricky. I had to make a power wire from the traxxas box to the wireless receiver (pretty sure you might be able to power the wireless receiver directly, but the traxxas power box adjusts the voltage safely). The wires from the lights (black and blue) then needed to be reversed before plugging them into the wireless box.

When it's up and running, it's really slick! The fourth channel on the wireless remote is free, so I've got an emergency strobe light on the way for that

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
BashNSlash is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2019, 07:25 AM   #162

Default Re: New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set

HobbyKing is having a flash sale on the GT5 so jump now if you want one! $62.99 from the Global warehouse and $68.19 from the USA warehouse. Shipping is FREE from the USA warehouse if you're in the USA, obviously.

https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-...-receiver.html
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2019, 12:36 AM   #163
Rock Crawler

Can someone explain how the crawl steering works? I saw in the review you pick which type of steering mix you want (rear steer, crab, follow)? So you only get one style of steering instead of cycling through them? I would be coming from Spektrum dx5c which I'm not impressed with the radio or the outlandish priced receivers, but at least i can toggle steering modes. The dx4s was a much better radio but irrelevant now.

Ideally i was hoping to control diff locks with the 3pos grip switch, the Mamba x drag brake with one of the top knobs, and a winch with the other, which means what button do you even control 4ws with? You have to go through the menu to turn it on and off? Definitely no it going to work for me in a competition setting. Any clarification about the actual capabilities of this radio beyond what the YouTube reviews have me believing would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 09:47 AM   #164

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy84 View Post
Can someone explain how the crawl steering works? I saw in the review you pick which type of steering mix you want (rear steer, crab, follow)? So you only get one style of steering instead of cycling through them? I would be coming from Spektrum dx5c which I'm not impressed with the radio or the outlandish priced receivers, but at least i can toggle steering modes. The dx4s was a much better radio but irrelevant now.

Ideally i was hoping to control diff locks with the 3pos grip switch, the Mamba x drag brake with one of the top knobs, and a winch with the other, which means what button do you even control 4ws with? You have to go through the menu to turn it on and off? Definitely no it going to work for me in a competition setting. Any clarification about the actual capabilities of this radio beyond what the YouTube reviews have me believing would be greatly appreciated.

For the steering modes, you navigate to the mode through the menu and keep it on that setting, while on that setting you can cycle through the different steering modes with the wheel.

Example:
Change the settings/mode to Steering
Crawl in what ever mode you want
Keep it on that setting it will blink
As you drive if you want to change steering modes you turn the wheel to another mode
Rinse and repeat

Personally I wish I could have it on the Ch3 button to switch through the modes easily one handed like how I had it setup on my Modded GT3B, 1st world problems I know.

Last edited by QueadlunnRau; 01-23-2019 at 09:50 AM.
QueadlunnRau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #165
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueadlunnRau View Post
For the steering modes, you navigate to the mode through the menu and keep it on that setting, while on that setting you can cycle through the different steering modes with the wheel.

Example:
Change the settings/mode to Steering
Crawl in what ever mode you want
Keep it on that setting it will blink
As you drive if you want to change steering modes you turn the wheel to another mode
Rinse and repeat

Personally I wish I could have it on the Ch3 button to switch through the modes easily one handed like how I had it setup on my Modded GT3B, 1st world problems I know.
Hmmmm, yeah, so it comes down to overall system price vs 4ws style toggle-bility. Switching in the menu two handed while in a comp situation definitely sounds cumbersome awkward, and a potential gate penalty if i need to stay steered with one tire while switching modes. But i could outfit every rig I own or plan to with 6 channels for the cost I have in three spektrum 5ch and one 3ch rx and the dx5c and dx4s radios i currently have...

6ch of course being handy for those builds where i need more than just turn, burn, and winch, like my uste truck

Jeepy84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 11:31 AM   #166

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepy84 View Post
Hmmmm, yeah, so it comes down to overall system price vs 4ws style toggle-bility. Switching in the menu two handed while in a comp situation definitely sounds cumbersome awkward, and a potential gate penalty if i need to stay steered with one tire while switching modes. But i could outfit every rig I own or plan to with 6 channels for the cost I have in three spektrum 5ch and one 3ch rx and the dx5c and dx4s radios i currently have...

6ch of course being handy for those builds where i need more than just turn, burn, and winch, like my uste truck

So far the only things I would change on the GT5 would be the steering mode change if I could move that to either the 3 way switch or Ch3 button and a larger battery bay for a larger lipo, currently I modded mine to fit a 950mAh.

Other than those things I do love this TX, I'm not having any gittering issues others have reported when turning the Gyro off (maybe I'm just a lucky one) in my crawling rig and having 6ch is AWESOME, I have 2 channels dedicated to a pan and tilt FPV camera using Ch5/Ch6 nobs to control it, my 3wy switch turns on/off my lights, crawling in 1st person is pretty fun, being able to look around the terrain makes me smile every time I do it.
Old 01-23-2019, 11:38 AM   #167
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueadlunnRau View Post
So far the only things I would change on the GT5 would be the steering mode change if I could move that to either the 3 way switch or Ch3 button and a larger battery bay for a larger lipo, currently I modded mine to fit a 950mAh.

Other than those things I do love this TX, I'm not having any gittering issues others have reported when turning the Gyro off (maybe I'm just a lucky one) in my crawling rig and having 6ch is AWESOME, I have 2 channels dedicated to a pan and tilt FPV camera using Ch5/Ch6 nobs to control it, my 3wy switch turns on/off my lights, crawling in 1st person is pretty fun, being able to look around the terrain makes me smile every time I do it.

Pics of your battery mod , if you don't mind please. That's cool that you fit a bigger battery, what i have in there a 450mah lipo .
Frank211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 01:35 PM   #168

I'll try to remember to take a picture tonight only took a little bit of dremeling and xacto work, mainly it's the battery I'm using super compact 15mm thick link here though discontinued now I think the new Graphene Panther is the same size I think.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:44 PM   #169

Modified my TX to use a 950mah 2s lipo.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:17 AM   #170

Hi!

Just wondering if anyone has compared this to the Radiolink RC6GS. Both radios seem to have similar features around similar price points but this radio seems to be more popular around here.
Achilles Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:22 AM   #171
RCC Addict

I use the RC4GS, it's similar with 4ch
Never had any issue, it's a bit bulky but for the price i can't complain

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
Jboucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 11:31 AM   #172

Yeah, the reason I was asking was because I had a Radiolink RC4G (no "S") and I liked it well enough but ended up trading it off with a vehicle since I wanted a 5 or 6 channel radio to run lights or other accessories remotely.

I still have a couple of the Radiolink r4eh-g receivers but I read multiple places they are not compatible with newer Radiolink radios.
Achilles Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 03:41 AM   #173
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank211 View Post
This is the battery i bought for it

Sent from my LGMP450 using Tapatalk
Hi, is this just a straight plug in using the JST connector or did you have to mod it ?
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 06:44 AM   #174

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achilles Fender View Post
Hi!

Just wondering if anyone has compared this to the Radiolink RC6GS. Both radios seem to have similar features around similar price points but this radio seems to be more popular around here.
I have an RC4GS and I loved it, but the external antenna, alone, is enough to make me suggest you look elsewhere. I didn't break the antenna on mine, but in a fall the trigger somehow got damaged and never centered properly again. I've taken a similar spill with my Spektrum DX3S and it came out unscathed. So I'd say the RC4GS is a more fragile radio. The RC6GS looks even worse with the two toggle switches tacked onto the outside as an afterthought. If you don't need the 5 channels I'd recommend the FlySky GT-5 instead.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:45 AM   #175
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewildblue77 View Post
Hi, is this just a straight plug in using the JST connector or did you have to mod it ?
Yes straight plug in , no mod at all.
Old 01-29-2019, 08:50 AM   #176

Quote:
The GT-5 has a JST port built into it? If so I was completely oblivious to that fact.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:27 AM   #177
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The GT-5 has a JST port built into it? If so I was completely oblivious to that fact.
LOL....its there.
I forgot where I read it at, but that's why i bought the battery.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:08 PM   #178

Quote:
LOL....its there.
I forgot where I read it at, but that's why i bought the battery.
Thanks! I'll have to pickup a similar battery at some point.
Old 01-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #179
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
Thanks! I'll have to pickup a similar battery at some point.
You are welcome.
Old 01-30-2019, 12:21 AM   #180
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Great stuff, battery ordered !
thewildblue77 is offline   Reply With Quote

New FlySky controller? FlySky FS-GT5 6 Channel Transmitter & FS-Gi6 Receiver Set - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Flysky GT3C, what's on the CD? & info for extra channel switches? patrol_maverick Electronics 7 11-15-2013 06:10 PM