Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project Crawler. F/X 12005 (56K WARNING) Update 1/21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2005, 10:19 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Transmission Near Complete :Bunch 'O Pics

Hello all
Been working quite a bit on this "build your own tranny" idea. Ended up using three of the four gears out of a TXT trans. This ended up giving me a more useful final drive which will be 110:1 with room for adjustment. Reason being is the Force axles are 3.3:1 where the TXT's are 2:1 if I remember right. Anyway, if I had went with a standard TXT trans using my planetary and a 15th pinion, final would be 198:1 :-). That just seemed way too low and I was determined to use this planetary. So, used three TXT gears and came up with my own case. It is not super high tech but it does get the job done. Places the motor and the output in the center of the truck left to right. It is as low as it can get in the chassis due to the combo of gears used, they can only be arranged so many ways. Now, the tranny is done less some minor details on the output for Maxx/Revo shafts. Also will be making up cover plates for the trans case either of clear Lexan of maybe Delrin, dunno yet. SEE MY NEXT POST FOR UPDATE*

Last edited by RCALLOYS; 01-31-2005 at 03:19 PM.
RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2005, 10:22 PM   #42
06 Super National Champ

killer.

Put that MP Jet in from the other side of the tranny to make things more compact.

Can't wait to see it at GR.

Last edited by JasonInAugusta; 01-29-2005 at 10:25 PM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2005, 11:09 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Far as putting the planetary in the case, fiddling with the idea on how to go about that. Would rather do that without having to make new pieces which appears possible. Also going to munch some material off the bottom of the two Delrin plates in order to get it lower in the chassis. We'll see. Gonna take a little break from this as it has been consuming too much of my time
Old 01-29-2005, 11:10 PM   #44
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up

Amazing, simply amazing...'nuff said.

I usually save all the pics from this site on my computer (or at least all of the ones that I feel are good enough to take up hard disk space), but that rig is the only one after about 100 or so trucks that has its own folder...

Don't ever put it on ebay, or it will ruin my marriage...
;)
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2005, 01:22 AM   #45
2006 2.2 National Champ

Looks sick, I love the new tranny, good idea.
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 01:42 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

Great lookin truck, I like the axles.
hcfr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 10:33 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Man this thing is all extra bad ass!!!!!!!!!!
Are you gonna make a cover for the wicked tranny???
AND THE SKID PLATE IS JUST SWEET

As always nice looking truck .........Bill!
twisted84toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 03:30 PM   #48
Quarry Creeper

Default Yet Another Update And Change 1/31/05

Hello all
As with most things, there is always room for improvement. One of my headaches when building the first design for the tranny was that I wanted to get the planetary inside the case itself. This was suggested by my pal JasonInAugusta early on when we began working on the tranny idea. Well, after a couple of days of him explaining the idea and pounding it into my little head, if finally came to me. Just couldn't see what he was talking about, how to get the planetary in the case. Anyway, put in another 5-6 hours Sunday nite building up drawings for the next trans design. One problem we kept stumbling into was how was pinion/spur mesh going to be accomplished. Well, what ended up working well was to use the planetary, it's flange mount, the tranny plate and the motor to make a sandwich. The flange on the planetary is flush with the outside of the one trans plate. Then I put a .031 deep spot face 1.500 in diameter to allow the motor to have a .010 crush between the trans plate and the planetary flange. WOW did that work out trick, once everything is snugged down I can't budge the motor/planetary. The whole package can be moved up and down a very moderate amount to adjust mesh of the pin/spur. I also shortened the overall height of the trans case by over .250 thus getting it a wee bit lower in the chassis. This produced another problem, had to machine in clearence for the output gear because it was now hitting the plate when all was assembled. Going to make a new trans plate for the motor side as well as a new skid. Gotta spend a couple of hours figuring up and laying out a new skid. Half tempted to give Delrin a shot as a skid plate. It is slippery and figured it might work well to slide across rocks. We'll see. Appears later this week the tranny will be complete, then it is off to the steering department, YIPPEE Now, few pics of the new concept for the trans. THIS is what we're going to stick with now.

Old 01-31-2005, 04:00 PM   #49
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Bill, don't get me wrong cause your work is nothing short of amazing.

It seems like a LOT of work just to use the planetary, and it also still has the motor up high like the stock txt setup. This setup looks really nice, but how does it perform any better then a modded txt tranny and a GD-600?

What is so special about the planetary?
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 04:29 PM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Reason I used the planetary consists of a few reasons. One of them is I had 5 of them sitting here. Also like the way it turned out and performs in my TXT. The main reason is because I knew it could be done. Also had to compensate for the lower geared Force axles. Did this by ditching one gear out of a stock TXT trans. Final drive will be 110:1 as it sits right now. I am a machinist and design/engineer every part we produce. RC aftermarket isn't what feeds me, that is just a hobby. We are a full tilt machine shop and provide design/engineer services and prototyping. I get handed piles of parts all the time and people want to use all of them in one package. This is what the transmission was like. I had the concept, the requirement of the customer (me) and all the parts. What you see in my latest post is the final product. Sure, could have been done quicker, more simple, etc. Far as the placement of the motor, it is lower than a stock TXT but by maybe .500 at the most. Could put it lower but then there would be problems with the can hitting upper links among other things. At this point there isn't an answer as to IF it performs better than a modded stock TXT tranny and GD 600. That really wasn't my objective as you can only do so much with gears and reduction units. As always, I do appreciate the comments, questions, suggestions and the like. However, some people just don't understand how a person like myself works and I can't explain it. Just ask JasonInAugusta.

Last edited by RCALLOYS; 01-31-2005 at 08:44 PM.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:34 PM   #51
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

If I had the tools, knowledge, and creativity I would probably do the same.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:35 PM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Talking amazing

bill,
that setup is awsome!!! now, how about you start making 2 of everything... 1 for you and 1 for me... please!!!
wally187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 05:36 PM   #53
Pebble Pounder

Wow!! I have seen the driveline you did for thorbob on the baja truck... What do you use to cut your stuff out in CNC Mill?

Good Job
spicollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2005, 08:32 PM   #54
06 Super National Champ

Hey Bill...'bout time!

Did you put the MP Jet on a cam like I told ya to?
Old 02-01-2005, 05:08 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

I'm so impressed
Bill that thing is GREAT
Rikpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 09:48 AM   #56
Pebble Pounder

Truly awesome truck!! Are ya ever gonna scratch it? lol
mnstrbetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2005, 10:55 AM   #57
Quarry Creeper

Talking

One word; "AWESOME"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Nitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2005, 02:32 PM   #58
Quarry Creeper

Default Tiny Update

Hello all
Whipped the new skid/trans mount up for the truck today. Went ahead and gave Delrin a try. Machines like butter of course but wanted to see how it worked out on the rocks as it is pretty slippery. We'll see. This skid turned out quite nice and I ran tighter tolerances on it and everything fits like a glove. However in making it there were some areas that I wanted to change to streamline it all. Sooooooo, yet another one will have to be made. Yeah, I know........overkill for a RC Crawler but keep in mind who you're dealing with . Next week will look into making all my pieces to enclose the tranny and still have to make my output shaft and ready it for Maxx/Revo shafts. Also will have to machine the Force pinions to accept the Maxx/Revo driveshaft joints. That should be just about it for the tranny. Did install the pinions and other pieces to enable me to run the tranny. Wired it up to my Wild Willy 2 and used his system to test out the tranny. Works dandy but it is gonna be a noisy little booger :-) Coming along nicely I guess. Few pics of the new Delrin skid.

Old 02-02-2005, 02:45 PM   #59
06 Super National Champ

Looks slick (pun intended)
Old 02-02-2005, 08:21 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Very nice, and clean. ;)
hcfr34 is offline   Reply With Quote