Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project Crawler. F/X 12005 (56K WARNING) Update 1/21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2005, 06:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Project Crawler. F/X 12005 (56K WARN) Update 7-12-05

Hello all.
Been working on something for about the last 3 weeks. The name which some will find lack luster is F/X 12005. This stands for "Factory Experimental January 2005". Pretty original eh? Anyway, what I started with was a pile of parts. A set of stock TXT chassis plates, pair of Mad Force axles and a set of T-Maxx Big Bore shocks. Wanted to come up with a way to 4 link the Force axle housings that was a little more scale, looked nice but was functional. After 2 weeks of designing, redesigning, losing many hours of sleep and living on Pepsi the idea was born. Even put in 13 hours one day on this silly project. Perhaps I am obsessive compulsive or something! There are 5 pieces per axle to allow attachment of lower links, upper links and shocks. Upper link mounts are basically a clamp with a cross bar with a flat milled on it for the upper link mount. The lower link and shock mount is of the split clamp nature and has a few different locations to mount shocks and lower links. Upper shock mounts are pretty simple with a flat milled on them. Took me quite a few evenings and many hours to build everything up and fine tune the parts themselves. The axle housings are narrowed to get the diff. in the center of the chassis as you can see. The TXT chassis plates got a 1.312 removed from the bottom and as you may notice, quite a bit else removed. Took many attempts and a bit of assitance from a few of my RC Pals to get the set up where it is currently and articulation is fair at 30-35 degrees. Nothing near a TXT or some of the other crawlers out there but a starting point. Even made my own little cone washer/spacer contraptions to get more swivel out of the rod ends. Wheelbase is 15.500 and truck sits pretty low compared to my TXT. Makes the TXT look like a big bulky monster truck. Next on the list after a break from all this, is getting the driveline figured out. Will be a TXT trans rotated 90 degrees from stock to lower CG. Will be using a MP-Jet planetary unit as I did on the TXT which is 3.8:1 and currently shooting for a final of 129:1 as the TXT is. Going to keep the Mad Force wheels (actually Mega Force) but narrow and set them up with a set of my rings and then some LST's. Steering comes after the driveline and I am working on an idea to avoid a servo on the axle housing. Then it is off to the electronics department. Looking into the compact lithium ion/polymer batteries too. Very small battery rated at 7.4V and 4000mah interests me :-). Welp, here are some quick pictures. Hope they are detailed enough to show what we've done here. Will be later this month before anything else is done....... if I can leave it alone that long. By the way, I am open to suggestions as well as polite critiquing

Last edited by RCALLOYS; 07-12-2005 at 02:40 PM.
RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2005, 06:12 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Project Crawler. F/X 12005 (56K WARNING, 8 pics)

thats sick, very nice work
pinkfloydman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:28 PM   #3
The Wheels Keep Turning

BLING BLING!!!!!!!!! that thing looks sweeeeet man! nice work.

I've been running lipolys and i love them. the kokam 2000mAh 11.1volt 15C running lathe motors is sweeet.
https://www.fmadirect.com/site/fma.h...roducts&cat=28

I don't think i'll ever go back to NiMh's! also, if you use lipolys, you have to use a low voltage detect.

https://www.fmadirect.com/site/fma.h...1897&section=2
kevinlongisland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:29 PM   #4
06 Super National Champ

Very nice!

If I didn't know better, I'd almost think that you're a machinist.

IF you could mount the lower links higher then raise the upper link mount point at the diff it'd be better for GC.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:51 PM   #5
RSI
Rock Crawler

MY TRUCK IS VERY VERY SIMILAR TO THAT!!!! you will love it very very stable..... ive had a hard time rolling mine i actually try to roll it just to see what it takes lol

ps how much would you charge for your axle link mounts??? i like em allot

ryan
RSI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 06:53 PM   #6
Colt Python/SR9c

very nice looking
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:11 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Very clean and sharp. Nice attn. to detail.
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 07:59 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

I like it Bill nice work.
broncotxt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 08:58 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Looks absolutely stellar! So will these parts be available in a kit somewhere down the line? I've been waiting for thr market to come around to the TF axles.
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 09:12 PM   #10
CSR
RCC Addict

Nice work Bill! The link/shock mounts are Beautiful! Very clean
CSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 10:40 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the kind comments everyone, appreciate it. Was hoping people would like this idea. Is far from being done obviously but I can sleep better now that the suspension is at a starting point. Fiddled around with shock location tonite and gained smoother shock travel as well as more articulation and flex. NOW I am going to leave the suspension alone and head to the driveline work. Anyway, those of you asking or quietly wondering if these parts will be a production item........eventually. We want to get the truck completely built and get some runs on it. Is hard to determine any design changes needed or how well everything works by playing with it on the bench and countertop posing. Should have the tranny, planetary, motor and driveshafts figured out in a couple of weeks time permitting. Anywho, additional picture of the new articulation/flex gained from shock relocation on axle.
Old 01-18-2005, 11:42 PM   #12
RCC Addict

That thing is awsome i love the link mounts.
syco133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:02 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

what lid are you running it looks like a proline but which one i like it
and i can't find it anywhere i love the raised cowl i need to know where to get one!!!

the whole truck looks badass!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
twisted84toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:15 AM   #14
Diggin' the new SCX10 II!

Looks like sh!t! What did you use a hammer and a hack saw?

JUST KIDDING!

Damn dude, I think we can expect nothing less then killer craftsmanship from you!

Very nice looking.
badger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:31 AM   #15
2006 2.2 National Champ

Two words come to mind, very and clean. That's some quality work/engineering. 8O
BENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 12:35 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I agree with Bender, looks tight.
hcfr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:33 AM   #17
Rock Crawler

Nice Job Looks killer! What about Steering? Any ideas for a servo Mount?
JakeTheAlligatorMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 01:37 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

As usual beautiful machine work. Can you make me some of those aluminum shock stand offs or ball mounts whatever you want to call them? I'd like them to have 5mm added to the length. LMK how much? Having little parts like that really helps flex.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2005, 07:58 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

WOW guys, thanks for the continuing kind comments. There are many many hours in this little project to get it where it sits right now. Started on the design for the link/shock mounts 3 weeks ago and donated about 2-3 steady days to making the first parts. It is so cool when everything falls together when ya go from an idea, to scribbling, to CAD and then to cutting aluminum. Anyway, to answer some questions:
The lid is a stock TXT body painted Chevrolet pewter metallic. Did some trimming for tire clearence as you can see.
For steering, I have a few ideas and one involves not having a steering servo down on the axle housing. Not quite sure at this time how that all is going to work. I think steering will be last on the list. Last nite the thought of using a Stampede tranny crossed my mind. Since this whole thing appears to have a low COG already, kind of decided to keep everything along those lines. Want to keep the tranny, planetary, battery and electronics in a very tight envelope in the chassis. The side plates are 3.031 tall, 4.020 wide inbetween the plates and about 5 inches front to back for the tranny envelope. Going to be a challenge but heck, at this point why skimp on the design.
So now I am off to investigate Stampede transmissions and others to see which might work. Originally was going to use a stock TXT trans as stated, but after mocking it up.........not a chance that big 'ol thing is going in here. Thanks again for the interest and encouraging comments. Will do my best to post updated pictures and such.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:53 AM   #20

Bill, nice work as always. I will be waiting quietly for updates on this project. I'm quite interested in a kit that will 4-link MF/TF axles...

Almost forgot to ask...Will the 4-link kit come with RC Alloys Sauce too
superdenk is offline   Reply With Quote