Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project Crawler. F/X 12005 (56K WARNING) Update 1/21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2005, 12:57 PM   #81
Quarry Creeper

Default Mild Update Again.

Hello All
Well, we've decided to rearrange the transmission. Nothing radical like a new design, just laid it on it's side. This is obviously going to help with center of gravity issues. Must thank JasonInAugusta again on this one, he has been pestering me for a week to lay the tranny on it's side like this . Anyway, went ahead and did that and also shortened the case height wise once it was in the new location. Took off .437 on the portion that is now the top. The case will be enclosed with some sort of Lexan once I am done taking it apart every 3 hours :-). Made another output shaft that turned out perfect for use with the Revos. Not looking forward to munching those Force pinions down at all. Appears the Revo shafts will have to be shortened to get 'em squeezed in there. Don't be alarmed when you look at the pics. It is getting pretty crammed in there now with a tranny, motor, driveshafts etc. Not to worry, plenty of room between the motor and the rear shaft. Not much but shouldn't be an issue. Maybe over the weekend I'll do the Force pinions and get the shafts set up and installed as they will need to be worked around for steering parts. Steering pieces should be here Thursday as stated previous, Friday will be more steering parts if all goes well. Once steering is done (front and rear), driveshafts installed, and tranny case enclosed it will be off to the electronics department. Currently researching smaller ESC's that are comparable to a Super Rooster. Possibly an LRP but still looking, dunno much about 'em. Will be using either a stock 540 motor, Multi-Plex 600 like my TXT or a 55 turn Integy lathe motor if I can find one! Anyway, few pics up to the truck's current status.

RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2005, 03:02 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Default Steering Parts

Hello all.
Pieces for my steering arrived Thursday as I had guessed. Started on the front steering set up today. The idea is pretty much complete, just have to invent a slider type steering shaft set up as it cannot be solid. Wanted to get it all mocked up today to see where stuff was going to end up. This way should be able to design some sort of slider shaft or collapsible shaft. Anywho, what has been done here is a remote mounted servo. Couple of precision miniature u-joints (.250 body dia) and .156 "01" rod for steering shaft material. Will be using a modified TXT axle for it's splines to drive a standard servo horn/arm. This idea all works on paper and now that it is somewhat together, it works but have got to have a slider shaft. Servo will be placed where the output of it (horn) will be centered left to right in the chassis. This allows for a straight shot (from servo to axle) and should have full movement of u-joints if required. Anywho, this is the steering set up I've been working on. I am sure many will have doubts of it working but we're almost 95% sure it will. Cannot be sure how efficient will be though. Main concern is torque loss through the u-joints and linear length of steering shaft. Soon as a slider system is invented we'll see how well the entire system works out. For now, few pics (6)

Old 02-11-2005, 03:09 PM   #83

ummmm, like, wow....
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:10 PM   #84
I wanna be Dave

Holy Diver! Amazing. The quality is incredible, and you've got some awesome design ideas going there. I cant wait to see how it works!
rbgerrish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #85

and hey, 1/4 scale servos are pretty strong...
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 04:46 PM   #86
PapaGriz Yo

Good grief!!! I am in awe Bill.....Nice werk.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #87
Rock Stacker

very cool. how much clearance do you have under the center skid?
Jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:11 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

That is ingenious
Frkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:17 PM   #89
Rock Crawler

Thumbs up

Bill, you've outdone yourself once again. BRAVO!!!
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:19 PM   #90
Rock Crawler

FYI, you now have "subfolders" (chassis, axles, tranny, steering... )
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:42 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

That stearing system is like 20 degrees of bitchin'

I remeber Thor did a simmiler set-up on his Baja bruiser when he was building it but eventualy went to the servo on the axle set-up later on.
Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:38 PM   #92
Quarry Creeper

Very nice looking setup
hcfr34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 07:52 PM   #93
06 Super National Champ

This is the type of crap that happens when Bill and I spend all night on AIM.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 08:09 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

WHOA, thanks for the replies everyone. Thought this might brighten up the progress of the project a little bit. Happy to hear/see everyone seems to think it is a slick idea. I am anxious to figure out a slider for the steering shaft and get it finished up. If this works out, rear steer will be the same. Rear steer servo will be in a slightly different location though. Gotta order up some rod ends and such to build up the steering links as I do not have any here! Should have enough to hobble it together to check everything out though. Hoping this all goes smoothly because if it does, it is off to the electronics department :-)

WRMorrison: Hee hee, I have subfolders now eh? Nice.....I ended up doing the same thing here for pics and drawings........was getting confused.

JasonInAugusta: Uh huh.......and you thought all these hours on AIM were fer nuffin
Old 02-12-2005, 12:51 AM   #95
Quarry Creeper

Bill you are a genius it looks killer how does it work? will it crank the tires?

i guess now all the GD 600 orders will be for Bill amazing steering box for cranking KONGS
twisted84toyota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 07:18 AM   #96
Quarry Creeper

Hello all
Far as this system cranking the tires, it should. From what I understand, servos are rated for torque at the end of a 1 inch servo arm. This requires less torque as the farther away from center, the more leverage there is. Consider my system is on center, it may surprise us. Should know later next week as I have to order one more little piece to complete this. Going to first try my Hi Tec 645 which I believe is rated at 155 in/oz @6V. Was going to use it for the rear and go for a 200 in/oz for front steer. However if being on center provides more torque, it won't require a high dollar servo. Eh, we'll see. Glad everyone is intriqued by the idea.
Now, the GD600 idea to gear the servo down...........actually fiddled with that idea . Might look into it once everything is together. Of course it would be on a much smaller scale than the GD's.

Last edited by RCALLOYS; 02-15-2005 at 09:55 PM.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:17 AM   #97
Rock Stacker

Are you going to use any kind of a bearing at the axle? That long rod should act like a servo saver. So there are uses for stocl TXT-1 drive shafts after all, the u joints.
stlcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2005, 01:30 PM   #98
Quarry Creeper

There will be a bearing of sorts at the axle there for the steer shaft to go through yes. Far as the long rod acting as a servo saver.......I doubt it. Material is precision ground oil hardened drill rod, or "01" as it is called. Highly doubt it will twist . Also, not using TXT u-joints in this system.....only using the end of the shaft that is splined.
On another note, just ordered the pieces needed to complete this little package. Sux, gotta wait until probably the 18th before anything else can be done as I'll be waiting for those parts. :-(
Old 02-12-2005, 02:08 PM   #99
bendforthebone

awesome i am amazed
badtodabone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2005, 01:44 AM   #100
Quarry Creeper

You still have an arm at the end of the shaft, the servo don't care where it is.

And are you goin to get the upper rod ends on the axle turned the right way?

Very very nice truck.....

I B..
I B RACIN is offline   Reply With Quote