Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > General Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project Crawler. F/X 12005 (56K WARNING) Update 1/21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2005, 04:37 AM   #101
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by I B RACIN
And are you goin to get the upper rod ends on the axle turned the right way?

Theres nothing wrong with the way he's got them mounted.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2005, 11:05 AM   #102
Quarry Creeper

Hello all
As I said before, thanks for the replies and the interest in this project. Also glad to see folks are interested in the way we've gone about steering. To clear some stuff up about servo torque. What I said IS true about being on center producing more torque. However, as mentioned earlier our concern was torque loss (torque wrench effect) through the u-joints and the shaft. This shouldn't be a problem because the servo is driving everything ahead of the arm on center. So yes, when it is all said and done output will be the same as manufacture's ratings at that 1 inch arm or whatever it ends up being.
Far as "turning the rod ends the right way at the axle".............not a thing wrong with the way they are. Take a look at a TXT..........might look familar. Now, in the real world in 1:1 4-link trucks, generally the upper rod ends are rotated 90 degrees to what mine are, least the majority I see. Without my inventing a different upper link mount, I couldn't do this.......and to be honest, my original design did have the rod ends opposite by 90 degrees than what you see now. Doesn't really make a big difference in RC the way they are mounted and as you can see in earlier posts.........suspension works just fine
RCALLOYS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:09 AM   #103
Quarry Creeper

This project is amazing Bill !!!!
I'm a little scared figuring you and JasonIA brainstorming togheter. The result will surely be stellar ;)
Nice and (best thing) different.
Rikpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 11:57 AM   #104
Rock Crawler

I have realy enjoyed reading and looking at the pictures of this build. I like seeing Fresh clean and out side the box ideas. This is the type of work that inspires all of us. thanks
RandyatBBY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 01:07 PM   #105
Quarry Creeper

Default Wee Little Update

Hello all
As always, thanks so much for the interest and the replies. Is part of what keeps me awake all these goofy hours building this truck. Anywho, did a little to the truck today. Sunday nite I determined where the front steering and rear steering servos needed to be in order to clear everything else. Whipped up a quick detail drawing for the servo mount hole locations and was time for bed. Put the holes in the trans plates today and got the servos mounted up. Also did the final shortening of the Revos for proper fitment and travel. Decided front servo will be a Hi-Tec 945 and the Hi-Tec 645 I been using for fitment will end up for the rear steer. In the picture, there is a Hobbico CS71 for rear steer.......just for mock up purposes as it is from 1999 Ordering my 945 tomorrow, more rod ends for steering linkage, and MAYBE the LST's and speed control. Really haven't decided on a ESC yet so that might have to wait. Currently watching a LRP Pro Reverse on E-Bay. Is new in box and at a nice price, we'll see. Shot a few pics of today's doings :-)

Old 02-14-2005, 03:00 PM   #106
Quarry Creeper

i love your steering set up
the whole truck looks sooooooooo clean with no servos on the axles
Now about that battery...
Frkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:24 PM   #107
RCC Addict

Nice truck! but couldn't you center the tranny more and put the battery on the other side for better driveshaft angles and weight distrobution?
mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 06:35 PM   #108
06 Super National Champ

He originally designed the tranny to be installed 90 degrees from the way it's installed now.

Then the outputs were in the center, but the motor (heaviest part of tranny) was too high up. I convinced him to rotote the tranny around to lower the motor.

As for the driveshafts...as long as they don't bind the shafts couldn't care less what the angles are.

If the tranny were shifted across and the battery mounted on the other side the shaft adapter on the servo would be too close to the upper suspension link...it'd actually hit the ball end.

I'm sure once Bill gets the truck up and running it'll get revised...this is just the inital effort.
JasonInAugusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:14 PM   #109
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonInAugusta
...this is just the inital effort.
One heck of an initial effort at that! If you haven't heard it enough, I'll tell you again.

Simply awesome work.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 09:55 PM   #110
Quarry Creeper

Figured some might not be too sure about the battery location. Not to worry, we're going to build (or have one built) a custom pack. Will be an odd shape and be in that same spot as in the pics but much lower in the chassis. Like Jason said, originally everything was in the center (left to right) including the motor, outputs, servos, everything. However since rotating the tranny that changed things quite a bit from the original idea. Driveshaft angles are not a concern as they operate fine at every angle the would be subjected to, no binding either. There is a method to my madness.......somewhat . Everything is where it is for a reason. Due to the rather small envelope I am attempting to keep everything in, there are a ton of things to consider. The tranny is where it is at to get the motor as low as possible top to bottom. Also had to make sure it (the motor) would clear everything it would ever encounter like rod ends, driveshafts, steering parts, etc. It also locates the servos of which have to clear suspension links, driveshafts, chassis, etc. in every angle the suspension could possibly produce. Figured the battery over there might help somewhat combat any torque twist/roll that could be encountered because this is a shafty. Right now I consider the truck as one big rolling package of a prototype. As Jason said, there will more than likely be some revisions/improvements once the thing is up and running.

Last edited by RCALLOYS; 02-15-2005 at 09:58 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:52 AM   #111
Rock Crawler

How come you do not make your own chassis side plates? Or the real question why is a wide or long skid pan better than the stock size on a TXT.

Oh ya, LiPo will fit in a smaller space.

I respect that this is a hobby for you and it is mine too, But I build RC Boats for a living (better than selling drugs) LOL. I really have to contain my self not to try sell what I can do with my hand screws, Vacuum forming machine and other things (like parts I get with my contacts) in my boat shop.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:54 AM   #112
Quarry Creeper

Reason I am using TXT side plates is because I had them sitting here and they were free. Other reason was I wanted to see what could be built out of the pieces that were available to me like those side plates, axle housings and shocks. That is all this project started with. The big skid plate serves as a home for most everything the truck requires like the trans, motor, servos, batteries, etc. Like a tube chassis crawler, most of them have a envelope in the center of the truck that pretty much all the components get installed on. JasonInAugusta's Scorpion and Bastard Jr. vehicles, everything is in the center on a big, wide skid plate/pan. This keeps all this stuff right smack as close to center as possible. As the truck sits now, we feel it is better than a TXT. Yes there are some very wicked trucks out there that are based on the TXT. However, the truck we're building really isn't based on squat. Only big off the shelf truck parts it has is the side plates, and axle housings. Reason we're not using lipo batts is because they aren't in the budget right now. Between the cost of a decent lipo pack, charger, etc. this would be more than is invested in the truck now. Have not bought anything for it until this week which was just a servo and some servo arms. Other pieces that will be buy outs are tires, speed control and a main pack battery. As always, I appreciate the input and suggestions many of them do get taken into consideration
Old 02-15-2005, 09:16 AM   #113
Quarry Creeper

The funniest thing is that your "starting point" is miles away from my best built and completed truck

Another time I'm amazed.

I have a everything but the case of a TXT tranny here and was thinking about another "build your own tranny". Shouldn't be so hard after someone else had the idea and build it ;)
Can I ask what did you used to stretch the final gear rod? (I mean the last rod where the shafts attach)

Thanks
Old 02-15-2005, 09:24 AM   #114
Rock Crawler

Wow, Nice, thanks for the response. You must type faster than me (Oh that is almost every one) But I was searching for an answer based on what works best like when the truck slid over a rock. I have asked before but got an answer like "we all just go back to the bigger plate."

I probably should have not asked about the LiPo cause someone did earlier. But that was to make the CG more compact.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:04 PM   #115
Quarry Creeper

Rikpal:
I am guessing your saying our truck is miles away from your best built/completed truck is a compliment . Meaning miles past it and not behind it? LOL. I've seen your projects and am very, VERY impressed with them. Also guessing you want to know what I did for all the gear shafts since the case is wider than a TXT tranny. Just used precision ground "01" drill rod (very tough and wear resistant) cut/machined to required lengths for the new case. Output gear was a bit challenging to figure out how to lock it as the TXT had a splined output shaft. Ended up drilling/tapping that hex in the output gear for a set screw then figured out where the gear was on the shaft. Then drilled a square bottom hole (counter-bored) for the set screw to go through hex into the shaft. Super positive engagement and no chance of anything coming apart.

RandyatBBY:
To better answer the question of why the big skid plate. My thoughts were it would act as a overgrown ski and perhaps help skim/slide over rocks. JasonInAugusta is using some hi-tech Delrin as a center skid on his Bastard Jr. project and I know the grade he is using is super slick. Delrin in itself is quite slippery and depending on what grade you go for, is somewhat resistant to scratching and scaring. Our TXT has an aluminum center skid and it is pretty "sticky" and drags across stuff rather than sliding . Lipo batt question, not a problem as it reminded me why we're not going that route at this time :-). If they weren't so darn expensive to get into I would for sure go that way. Just hang in there, plan is to do the best I can with a standard type battery (nimh) in a custom shape to get it lower than the one in pictures.

Looks like possibly this coming weekend the steering could be done. Latest would be middle of next week as I am waiting on a batch of parts to complete it again. Made a few changes as well to better the steering a bit.

Last edited by RCALLOYS; 02-15-2005 at 12:13 PM.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:50 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

two words: Over Engineered! Seriously though way to think outside the box. I haven't looked at this thread for quite sometime. I'd better this thing get used mister. No more pics of it driving up a fence OK?
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 04:21 PM   #117
Rock Stacker

thats very sweet
seth556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 08:12 PM   #118
Quarry Creeper

RCKJeep:
Sheesh, you should know by now my middle name is Over Engineered . Not to worry, the truck will get used as it is being built for the Green River Event in Kentucky. Once it is up and running for the debug I'll try and get some pics of it in action best I can. Definatly will be pictures from Kentucky I hope. Thanks for the interest!
Old 02-16-2005, 08:02 AM   #119
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCALLOYS
I am guessing your saying our truck is miles away from your best built/completed truck is a compliment . Meaning miles past it and not behind it? LOL.
Yeah of course :lol Pardon my lack of english knowledge.

Quote:
I've seen your projects and am very, VERY impressed with them.
WOW!! compliment from you are double worth, thanks

Quote:
Ended up drilling/tapping that hex in the output gear for a set screw then figured out where the gear was on the shaft. Then drilled a square bottom hole (counter-bored) for the set screw to go through hex into the shaft.
I think I understood, but due to my low of english knowledge (again ) I'm not sure about everyhing. Is it too much if I ask for some pics or a drawing?
Old 02-16-2005, 02:46 PM   #120
Quarry Creeper

Default Steering Linkage

Hello all
Managed to build up my steering linkage today. Because of how tight everything is on the axles, couldn't use big diameter steering rods. So, came up with a way to keep everything slim. Steering rod is .177 drill rod and the relay rod is .156 drill rod. Both are more than stout enough to steer this thing. Made aluminum cones to go from the rod end body diameter to the diameter of the shafts just to make it all look a little smoother. Everything works lock to lock, smooth as glass. Going to make a little spacer to get the steer rod parallel with the relay rod so it isn't at that angle you see in the picture. Can't wait to get my other parts and servo to finish up the front steer! Few pics of the steering linkage.