Notices

Thread: Tower Hobbies No Coupons on Axial Kits

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2017, 10:05 AM   #181
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Tower Hobbies No Coupons on Axial Kits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col_Sanders View Post
Sorry I misunderstood. Where you said that every axle housing that they made was a copy, I thought that you meant that every axle housing that they make is a copy. What you meant was SSD released a cool looking axle housing, then VP released a similar one with a lot more scale detail. And that SSD makes knuckles and C Hubs that look a bit like VP knuckles and C Hubs...because they are knuckles and C Hubs.

If you dont like SSD or their products, thats cool, but to say that all they do is copy is ridiculous.

They have been first to the market on many things, including two speed transmission parts for Axial's Yeti and SCX10 II. They beat VP to the market on knuckles and c hubs for the SCX10 II. They make parts for the Ascender, which aside from Horizon or the Chinese companies, nobody else does.

Technically every housing they put out is a copy of a 1:1 especially the diamond which is a registered trademark name they're not licensed to use but that's bordering on semantics.

Sure there are many ways to skin a goat when it comes to knuckles and C hubs but ssd skirts right around the licensing every time and makes them look very familiar. To me ssd is a chicom company based in the UK. Mostly copy, with some original parts thrown in for flavor.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-07-2017, 10:24 AM   #182
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
Technically every housing they put out is a copy of a 1:1 especially the diamond which is a registered trademark name they're not licensed to use but that's bordering on semantics.

Sure there are many ways to skin a goat when it comes to knuckles and C hubs but ssd skirts right around the licensing every time and makes them look very familiar. To me ssd is a chicom company based in the UK. Mostly copy, with some original parts thrown in for flavor.
You really should look a bit closer at the products before saying they are copies. SSD Wraith knuckles and SCX knuckles are double shear. VP knuckles are not, except for the "scale" series, which came out after SSD's Pro Series.

I use a lot of stuff from VP and SSD and I have used stuff from Hot Racing and STRC. SSD's knuckles and C Hubs are different than VP, and quality wise they are every bit as good. Sometimes they are better. Either one is much better than the Chinese copies.
Col_Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 11:17 AM   #183
I wanna be Dave

This is a post that is not aimed at any one individual, but at an attitude that in my opinion reduces the overall enjoyment of the hobby and this and many other forums in general.

We are buying kits, RTR's, and parts from dozens of companies and it's only natural for someone to dislike one over another and for that matter for some companies to fail or prosper based on cost management, product pricing, marketing, reputation, manufacturing enough to meet demand, etc.

Lets not forget the everyday variations in the world's economy, and the ability to start trends or jump on them in time to keep up with competitors. The Axial coupon issue was shocking right when it happened, which is understandable because of the fact they are so important to this hobby and change makes people uncomfortable. Everyone's gotta do what they can to keep their head above water. If you don't like a company, though - I don't believe in making grand, sweeping generalizations that are hard to take in any way other than an insult to anyone's judgement that bought their products.

If you have owned a product and had a issue with it's quality or performance, by all means it should be a good idea to spread the knowledge - also if the mfg corrects the situation that should be noted as well. If you had a problem with one part it doesn't mean the mfg entire product line is crap. There aren't any companies that make more than a few RC products and have never made a misstep.

Lastly, the issues with the location of the manufacturing itself is a very grey area in this modern world. If you are concerned with American jobs, some thought should be given to the total number of employees that make a living from the parent company working in all the positions, not just manufacturing. A telling factor is that many (not all!) Americans would much rather work a white collar rather than a blue collar job. That's just one of many reasons why so much manufacturing happens overseas.

Being patriotic is one thing, putting out a vibe that anything from somewhere else (whether the entire company is "foreign" or just the manufacturing takes place in a non-American location) is shite or even less than of American quality is perilously close to nationalism. Nationalism leads to a general sense of superiority over other peoples for various reasons, be they cultural, racial, or religious. This eventually leads to conflict, general unpleasantness, and often war. Yeah, I went there.

We need to friggin' get along. This planet is rapidly turning into a toxic place in so many ways and following a general rule of doing to others as you would have them do to you is the best way for us to all make it. And if you are one of those lovely individuals that claims you don't care what other people think about you at all, and that makes you think you can run around being an ass - well, that's not the point. You may well need for someone someday to realize that you are worth helping or even saving in a situation that you never thought you'd be in.

This has been a rant, but a well-intended one. My new year's resolution is to try to only allow myself one big potentially embarrassing and flame-inducing post. This is a hobby forum, and hobbies exist to make life more pleasant. We all work hard to be able to take part in it at whatever level we've achieved. It's NOT a contest, although if you are entering them within the hobby that's great. But discussing the hobby itself certainly isn't a contest, and should be as drama-free as possible.

Many thanks to anyone who read this whole thing and those who have posted useful information on this forum, and everyone that takes part in this hobby - be they vendors, manufacturers, distributors, rock racers, comp crawlers, scalers, trail runners, bashers, builders, newbies, lurkers, or whatever!

Peace.......................
durok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 12:59 PM   #184

A little late to this party. I have spent on average @ $1800 per year at Tower Hobbies. Which for me is @ 85% of my hobby purchases. I have always gotten good service from Tower, but I my main reason to use them so often was due to their Super Saver Club discounts.

And I too have seen those dry up over the past several months. Seems of late everything I try to buy from them is no longer discounted.

When April rolls around and its time to renew my club membership, I will send them an email instead explaining that since they no longer discount item's I primarily have interest in, I will give my RC funds to another company. Primarily it will end up at my LHS that in fact aren't really local. For me a 4 hour round trip is to far to be considered local, but if I have to pay full retail, I'd rather that money get spent here in my back yard.
epidot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 03:21 PM   #185
I wanna be Dave

Years ago - pre-rock crawler (pre-Axial, for that matter) I always bought from my LHS or Tower.

As I moved deeper into the upgrades for my RR10, there's really no products left that Tower carries that I want or need. I'm now ordering exclusively either direct from the mfg, or from online retailers that specialize in carrying the products of interest.

I like Amazon as well, because I have located very hard-to-find parts from a mom & pop shop halfway across the country that way - also, I have a Amazon Prime card... and I have even returned after years of absence to fleabay for a couple parts unavailable elsewhere.

I'd have no issue returning to Tower for a new Tx/Rx, battery charger, or even a kit that was on sale that I wanted - if they had the best price by more than a few bucks, of course!

My local shop (again) just doesn't carry anything that would make me go there - other than paint, shock oil, and Traxxas rod-ends.

If I was to start again with a new vehicle (or to add a 2nd vehicle) I'd be getting the kit and all initial upgrades and electronics in one huge order from somewhere like RPP to maximize coupon savings and get free shipping - even if there was no coupon on the kit itself.

Last edited by durok; 01-07-2017 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:57 PM   #186
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by durok View Post
This is a post that is not aimed at any one individual, but at an attitude that in my opinion reduces the overall enjoyment of the hobby and this and many other forums in general.

We are buying kits, RTR's, and parts from dozens of companies and it's only natural for someone to dislike one over another and for that matter for some companies to fail or prosper based on cost management, product pricing, marketing, reputation, manufacturing enough to meet demand, etc.

Lets not forget the everyday variations in the world's economy, and the ability to start trends or jump on them in time to keep up with competitors. The Axial coupon issue was shocking right when it happened, which is understandable because of the fact they are so important to this hobby and change makes people uncomfortable. Everyone's gotta do what they can to keep their head above water. If you don't like a company, though - I don't believe in making grand, sweeping generalizations that are hard to take in any way other than an insult to anyone's judgement that bought their products.

If you have owned a product and had a issue with it's quality or performance, by all means it should be a good idea to spread the knowledge - also if the mfg corrects the situation that should be noted as well. If you had a problem with one part it doesn't mean the mfg entire product line is crap. There aren't any companies that make more than a few RC products and have never made a misstep.

Lastly, the issues with the location of the manufacturing itself is a very grey area in this modern world. If you are concerned with American jobs, some thought should be given to the total number of employees that make a living from the parent company working in all the positions, not just manufacturing. A telling factor is that many (not all!) Americans would much rather work a white collar rather than a blue collar job. That's just one of many reasons why so much manufacturing happens overseas.

Being patriotic is one thing, putting out a vibe that anything from somewhere else (whether the entire company is "foreign" or just the manufacturing takes place in a non-American location) is shite or even less than of American quality is perilously close to nationalism. Nationalism leads to a general sense of superiority over other peoples for various reasons, be they cultural, racial, or religious. This eventually leads to conflict, general unpleasantness, and often war. Yeah, I went there.

We need to friggin' get along. This planet is rapidly turning into a toxic place in so many ways and following a general rule of doing to others as you would have them do to you is the best way for us to all make it. And if you are one of those lovely individuals that claims you don't care what other people think about you at all, and that makes you think you can run around being an ass - well, that's not the point. You may well need for someone someday to realize that you are worth helping or even saving in a situation that you never thought you'd be in.

This has been a rant, but a well-intended one. My new year's resolution is to try to only allow myself one big potentially embarrassing and flame-inducing post. This is a hobby forum, and hobbies exist to make life more pleasant. We all work hard to be able to take part in it at whatever level we've achieved. It's NOT a contest, although if you are entering them within the hobby that's great. But discussing the hobby itself certainly isn't a contest, and should be as drama-free as possible.

Many thanks to anyone who read this whole thing and those who have posted useful information on this forum, and everyone that takes part in this hobby - be they vendors, manufacturers, distributors, rock racers, comp crawlers, scalers, trail runners, bashers, builders, newbies, lurkers, or whatever!

Peace.......................
Well said. Sums up how I feel as well. Hobbies are a chance to relax and share a common interest with others. I like to keep it that way. We have a hard time agreeing to disagree these days it seems. We all want to be right and for everyone to recognize it. That is primarily why I have kept pretty much quiet on this forum and other online communities for the past several years. I choose rather to interact with my local folks more since it seems that when there is a face to a name, people are generally a lot more considerate, patient, and all-around well mannered. The internet soapbox is the new road rage.
RCMFMaxxMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:28 AM   #187
Rock Crawler

Isn't it all just a copy of a ford/dana axle anyway? There are only so many ways to make something look like a smaller version of the large version.

Just because it's orange anodized does that mean it's a copy of a Reid Racing knuckle? How many different versions are there of dual coil shocks out there? Are they all copies?

Get over it. It's a hobby and we all want our rigs to look a certain way.

And on the coupon thing, I can't believe it went on as long as it did. Last year tower had a $70 off any $399 purchase shortly after thanksgiving. You can't tell me that wasn't aimed right at people looking for a new kit for Christmas. There's no way a hobby shop could compete with that. I don't care how good the service is or how nice they are.

I think axial was sick of hearing it from shops and knew that most of the money a shop makes is not in RTR trucks/cars. It's from kits when the guy needs a servo, esc, motor etc.... you hope he comes to the shop for help and advice. I can't tell you how many times I've been in our LHS and had some "old timer" say that "I don't have the internet" or "I'd have to have my wife look that up for me". There are still people around that need the hobby shop and I think brands like axial are trying to support both ends. With things like this forum and the LHS.

and....done.
terrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 11:30 PM   #188
RCC Addict

I'll say this:
Up here in the North Bay Area we have the benefit of the best Damn LHS on this side of the solar system.
Best service, prices often as good or better than the internet...
LARGE selection of crawler and scaler stuff.
If you're ever in the California Bay Area, make the short trip to Jake's Performance Hobbies in Rohnert Park.
You'll see what I'm talking about.
Jake has been in business in the same location for over 25 years now.
I used to ride my bike 20 miles round trip as a kid to go there. (Yes really.)

sent from the Upside Down
gbean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 05:33 AM   #189
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
I'll say this:
Up here in the North Bay Area we have the benefit of the best Damn LHS on this side of the solar system.
Best service, prices often as good or better than the internet...
LARGE selection of crawler and scaler stuff.
If you're ever in the California Bay Area, make the short trip to Jake's Performance Hobbies in Rohnert Park.
You'll see what I'm talking about.
Jake has been in business in the same location for over 25 years now.
I used to ride my bike 20 miles round trip as a kid to go there. (Yes really.)

Those are the best shops to have ...... owned and operated by a hobbyist for the hobbyist. Our local place RC Madness in Enfield, CT is the same way. Chris has been in business for over 20 years, has two indoor multi use carpet tracks, a big enough for 1/8 scale outdoor track, a AstroTurf track thats already been used for Nationals, an outdoor U4 area and even put in an indoor rock course 6 years ago and let us do what we want with it for free.

Sure I buy mail order and shop for bargains but when I go to him and he tells me a price .... Ive never bickered. With out places like his and owners like him the hobby would crumble.

Last edited by Robbob; 01-19-2017 at 05:36 AM.
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #190
RCC Addict

Where i live i don't have the luxury,but have to drive like an hr and a 1/2 just to get to my local hobby shop,so all i can do is buy online and Towers,RPP,RCmart,asiatees,and our other vendors on here are my main source and lets not forget flea-bay..
Just bought the TF2 kit plus some other goodies of a total just over 500.00 bucks and received a 75.00 coupon..
I just a matter of time when RC4wd will stop excepting coupons so i figure i'd take advantage of the great savings...It basically paid for the shipping cost and the 60.00 customs fee for when it gets here..the exchange rate to Canada sucks still.................

Last edited by rustneversleeps; 01-19-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: word
rustneversleeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #191
I wanna be Dave

I couldn't believe it the other day when fleabay sent me a $15 off coupon good on any purchase of $30 or more... Hot Racing RR10 aluminum transmission and transfer cases on their way!

P.S. I think we should rename this thread - "Buying our RC gear - Gripes and Attaboys"
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 AM   #192
I wanna be Dave

I was going to pick up a Wraith at Tower, and now I see I've taken too long to pull the trigger. Anyone know when the price of the Wraith will drop lower than $329? It seems to drop during certain periods of the year. I picked up my Yeti Kit at Tower when it was $280 + $30 coupon = $250, and was hoping to do something similar with the Wraith.
soze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 10:49 AM   #193
I wanna be Dave

Probably 3 days from never.....
allanon1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:27 AM   #194

Quote:
I couldn't believe it the other day when fleabay sent me a $15 off coupon good on any purchase of $30 or more... Hot Racing RR10 aluminum transmission and transfer cases on their way!

P.S. I think we should rename this thread - "Buying our RC gear - Gripes and Attaboys"
I forgot to use mine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post
I was going to pick up a Wraith at Tower, and now I see I've taken too long to pull the trigger. Anyone know when the price of the Wraith will drop lower than $329? It seems to drop during certain periods of the year. I picked up my Yeti Kit at Tower when it was $280 + $30 coupon = $250, and was hoping to do something similar with the Wraith.
Black Friday or Christmas time. Sometimes they have great Christmas in July sales. Or random Axial sales.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #195
I wanna be Dave

^^^ Mine stated "Valid until January 25, 2017" - hope you didn't delete the email, check the fine print!
Old 01-21-2017, 12:31 PM   #196
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by soze View Post

Give it another month for "valentines day" or such nonsense when sales die.... tower plays pricing games, I watch the last 3days of the month , hope they are bleeding and need $$$

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:18 PM   #197

Quote:
^^^ Mine stated "Valid until January 25, 2017" - hope you didn't delete the email, check the fine print!
Thanks! I'm sure I still have it. I rarely delete emails.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 01:43 PM   #198
RCC Addict

Here I am hunting for that eBay email... Didn't look like they included me!

Old 01-21-2017, 02:14 PM   #199
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbean View Post
Here I am hunting for that eBay email... Didn't look like they included me!

Title was "A Coupon for you, because you deserve it!"

Came on the 17th to the US. I had spent a fair amount recently, that may have triggered the email - not certain....
Old 01-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #200
RCC Addict

Quote:
Title was "A Coupon for you, because you deserve it!"

Came on the 17th to the US. I had spent a fair amount recently, that may have triggered the email - not certain....
Thanks! I searched my email, no love. Oh well.

Tower Hobbies No Coupons on Axial Kits - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Kits listed as DISCONTINUED at Tower (and Axial!) Arctic Fire Chit Chat 14 11-08-2016 05:10 PM
tower hobbies coupons Justin82 Axial SCX-10 15 12-18-2013 09:45 PM
Axial Dingo $174.98 at Tower Hobbies LumTheMad Chit Chat 11 12-16-2013 12:46 AM
all Axial Kits on sale at RPP and tower STANG KILLA SS Chit Chat 0 09-25-2013 09:40 AM
tower coupons.... pugs2300 Chit Chat 7 01-27-2012 02:11 PM