Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2018, 11:17 AM   #841
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

Still some work to do but the new shock mounts with inner fenders fit great with the body. Printed them rough with low infill first just to test, will do them with 100% infill and better finish when I'll get filament back in stock.

They are perfect place for receiver and ESC. Will do some sliders that will join them so the lower portion of the chassis will be as closed as possible.

Front cross-member requires to be redone ... not sturdy enough even @100% infill. May make it different so it can be used as support for a battery plate.

Video to follow ...
tuxstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2018, 12:28 PM   #842
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotrodsoup View Post
Went down to "Rock Island" to hang with friends and for a little test and tune.
This was the first time the little rig was on dirt and rocks. plugged in the battery and hit the rocks. I seemed to work pretty well. Then started to push it and...........ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! I handed it off to a much better driver and manager of Rock Island. i stood back and watched. I saw the look on his face, Then it happened...........handed it off to another guy and it did not take long for us to.......... see it happen!!!!

This little rig is a mountain goat! The low speed control is awesome, it was pulling some amazing lines drama free, sticks like glue to rocks. It impressed all of us with its capability. Welcome to the fleet "Sammy" aka "Dragon Balls"!!!!
Would love to see some pics.
hillbillyrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 12:44 PM   #843
Pebble Pounder

Thumbs up Re: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

I must say the Barrage is a great platform. There is a hobby shop in Queen Creek Arizona, Superstition Hobbies, that has Barrages that customers can rent to drive on their indoor rock climbing coarse. These things are amazing. Right out of the box they can pretty much outclimb a lot of the purpose built crawlers that people bring out. I’m considering getting one for my next project especially seeing what they can do. For those of you that have them, way to go! Let’s see more of how you are modifying them. Thanks for sharing
Ragenwraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:01 PM   #844

I've finally (basically) finished my Hilux Barrage. This turned into a much more involved project than I ever anticipated, and I went all in because it was so fun and satisfying. This is my first foray into non-drone RC and now I'm already planning my next build! I learned how to make stuff out of styrene, which is absolutely awesome and much easier than I expected, and I've been experimenting with weathering techniques. You can see a bit on the hood in the crevices, but I'm not entirely happy with how it's turned out, as it's leaving streaks on the paint when I wipe the wash off, so I'll need to play with that a bit more. Now if only I could find those Redcat spools somewhere! My glue in the spools held for about a week but I'm back to one wheel per axle spinning freely, unfortunately. I might have to look into changing out the axles entirely if I can't find the parts for much longer.

I still need to paint the interior, and the side markers and taillights. What do people recommend using for the lights that is transparent? I'm also going to put together a rear bumper mount out of styrene to move it in and up a hair, so it looks better.

Here's an imgur album for those who want photos, I don't want to swamp the thread with them.

Hakizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #845
RCC Addict

There is lots of transparent paints of there. Model paints, tamiya paints. Most hobby shops should have something.

This is how my barrage has been sitting.

Last edited by hillbillyrc; 07-22-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:24 PM   #846
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuxstang View Post
Still some work to do but the new shock mounts with inner fenders fit great with the body. Printed them rough with low infill first just to test, will do them with 100% infill and better finish when I'll get filament back in stock.

They are perfect place for receiver and ESC. Will do some sliders that will join them so the lower portion of the chassis will be as closed as possible.

Front cross-member requires to be redone ... not sturdy enough even @100% infill. May make it different so it can be used as support for a battery plate.

Video to follow ...

Sweet. Will be printing when I head back to work Monday. I might pm you about some of the settings. I didn’t take a pic of the first shock mount and only did 2 but they can’t put dimensionally perfect but had some empty spots. I am learn as I go printing. Those flares look great though. Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tundratrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:25 PM   #847
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Went down to "Rock Island" to hang with friends and for a little test and tune.

This was the first time the little rig was on dirt and rocks. plugged in the battery and hit the rocks. I seemed to work pretty well. Then started to push it and...........ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!! I handed it off to a much better driver and manager of Rock Island. i stood back and watched. I saw the look on his face, Then it happened...........handed it off to another guy and it did not take long for us to.......... see it happen!!!!

This little rig is a mountain goat! The low speed control is awesome, it was pulling some amazing lines drama free, sticks like glue to rocks. It impressed all of us with its capability. Welcome to the fleet "Sammy" aka "Dragon Balls"!!!!

Yup, people with 2000 dollar scx102, trx4’s are always surprised by the barrage. It is a beast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-22-2018, 04:15 PM   #848
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundratrader View Post
Sweet. Will be printing when I head back to work Monday. I might pm you about some of the settings. I didn’t take a pic of the first shock mount and only did 2 but they can’t put dimensionally perfect but had some empty spots. I am learn as I go printing. Those flares look great though. Thanks again
I'm still learning too, even a year after my first printer. Maybe it's a problem of units, my designs (FreeCad beta) are in metric ... in the past I encountered, although rarely, problems with designs made in imperial.

I'll check tomorrow on my other printer at work, it still has some filament left.
Old 07-22-2018, 05:11 PM   #849
Quarry Creeper

First run of the Bratrage
http://www.youtube.com/embed/tYxecokuMMY
Old 07-23-2018, 11:23 AM   #850

Redcat finally has the aluminum spools in stock, but yeesh, $60 for two. Maybe this means they're going to start showing up more places again.
Hakizi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 12:13 PM   #851
RCC Addict

Price gouging to I see. They used to be cheaper.
Old 07-23-2018, 02:41 PM   #852
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrc View Post
Would love to see some pics.
I would love to post some. I never have any luck, nor do i have the patience for my lovely laptop.
hotrodsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 03:16 PM   #853
RCC Addict

I use my smert phone and use imgbb.com to upload pics then use the bbcode link they provide and copy and paste them here. Couple more steps but simple to do.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:20 PM   #854
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongol Pete View Post
[IMG]

The Midnight BOOrrage is nearly ready to roll!

That's a better looking Doomsday than the one Horizon made.
Derek Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #855
RCC Addict

Quote:
I would love to post some. I never have any luck, nor do i have the patience for my lovely laptop.
Use the Tapatalk app. You can upload pics right from your laptop, smart phone, tablet, or iPad.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
MaX-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:05 PM   #856
Rock Stacker

Does anyone know of another rod end solution for the stock links besides the ecx ones? It looks like they're only available as a full link kit. I must've took a weird tumble and broke the plastic.
mless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 07:12 PM   #857
RCC Addict

That's about the only way to get rod ends.

I might have some laying around since swapping thing around.
Old 07-24-2018, 07:29 PM   #858
Rock Stacker

Cool, if you find some let me know.
Old 07-24-2018, 08:03 PM   #859
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mless View Post
Cool, if you find some let me know.
let me see what else fits from another rig. Which ones in particular? Can you show me what broke?
Old 07-24-2018, 10:31 PM   #860
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tundratrader View Post
let me see what else fits from another rig. Which ones in particular? Can you show me what broke?
If you can tell from this pic, the rod end plastic actually twisted and cracked bending it all out of whack and doesn't hold the ball end anymore. It's also a shorter link now so it doesn't hold the axle in the right position.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk