Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2018, 09:22 PM   #961
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: 1.9 Barrage RTR 1/10 Crawler

Yes I really like the Sumo body, I kind of wish I knew about the width first before I got the Ford. The LHS made it real tempting at $23 though

I found a Sumo on eBay for $37 but I'm worried the lexan will be delivered with a crush on it... Just my luck. I think I'm just holding off for some Tamiya body that I'll never get hah!
Xrayray is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2018, 09:27 PM   #962
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by mewalsh100 View Post
Been super busy with work, but I finally made a little more progress on the Sumo body for the MRC chassis / Barrage hybrid.

Got the wheel wells clearenced a little bit, ordered 3-1/2" side mount body posts (still waiting on them). Pictures show about the ride height I'm going for.

I also re-tasked the old Barrage front bumper / pushbar and the LED lights. For the rear lights, I made these little dense foam light buckets and painted the LED area silver. (I may line them with aluminum foil though.). I'll mask in the rear tail light area, and then just allow the RED LED's to shine through the taillight stickers.

Anyway, hoping to have the body posts tomorrow so I can install them on the chassis, verify my ride height, and drill and mount the body. Then it's on to paint and some scale items.
Really looks good. I just noticed you have the v1 axles, but are you using the wide hexes or without like the Temper?

Edit: I looked a few pages back and saw you do have the wide hexes on. I hope since its about the same track width that the Gen2 axles can tuck the tires too.

Last edited by Xrayray; 09-20-2018 at 09:42 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:29 AM   #963
I wanna be Dave

Yes, I’m using the V1 axles with wide hexes.
mewalsh100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2018, 03:11 PM   #964
I wanna be Dave

I still need to Dremel off / trim those stupid screw posts that hang below the center pumpkin too.
Old 09-21-2018, 04:36 PM   #965
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
I still need to Dremel off / trim those stupid screw posts that hang below the center pumpkin too.
Yea I wonder why they chose to do a skid plate instead of just making it smooth/round.

I wanted to ask you, you said a couple pages back that you were maxing out your motor on 3s. I recently switched to 3s as well but using the dynamite ESC and 390 motor.

The motor itself has a print on the side. I think it said 8.4v, can't remember.

Are we both using the motors past its intended voltage? I do not have experience with brushed crawler motors, only brushless out runners for helis.

The ESC is barely warm at the heatsink, but the motor is warm, not hot. I'll get an infrared temp reading and post back.
Old 09-21-2018, 06:48 PM   #966
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xrayray View Post
Yea I wonder why they chose to do a skid plate instead of just making it smooth/round.

I wanted to ask you, you said a couple pages back that you were maxing out your motor on 3s. I recently switched to 3s as well but using the dynamite ESC and 390 motor.

The motor itself has a print on the side. I think it said 8.4v, can't remember.

Are we both using the motors past its intended voltage? I do not have experience with brushed crawler motors, only brushless out runners for helis.

The ESC is barely warm at the heatsink, but the motor is warm, not hot. I'll get an infrared temp reading and post back.
Well, the parts i’m using on the Losi MRC chassis are from the 1st edition RTR, so it’s the 380 motor. Not sure how much more robust the 390 is. I’m not too worried about it though. You can find these motors for like $5-$8 on Fleabay.
Old 09-21-2018, 08:59 PM   #967
Pebble Pounder

Thanks man. 3s is worth it indeed, I like the extra power and weight of this 3s 2200. I was doing 4 wheel drifts last night full throttle on this dirt lot near home.

Last edited by Xrayray; 09-21-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 09-24-2018, 08:26 PM   #968
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yea, so did ECX, so when the gen 2 got its own axle (rather than the one borrowed from the 1/16 temper that the getn 1 had) The did away with them...

On my 1/10 maxtone 10, basicaly the same design as the temper but bigger, I took off the skid plates and over time the mounts have worn away so its just a smooth pumpkin on the bottom
dacaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 08:40 PM   #969
Pebble Pounder

I finally received my spare ECX 222000 delivered today. Its the V3 doomsday long axle housing that neither of my 2 LHS can get in stock. It's "backordered" but amain says it's discontinued.

Last resort, Chinese website for RGT parts. I can see the screw holes striping eventually so I wanted a spare axle or two.
Old 09-25-2018, 01:27 PM   #970
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
I bolted mine together (hex nuts, little washers, on the other side). Works well.

Great idea! I have seen the little m2 nuts at the dubro section of my lhs.

I'm being careful when reinstalling the chubs because those have thin holes where the screws go in.
Old 09-29-2018, 07:54 AM   #971
I wanna be Dave

I got the paint laid down on the Sumo last night. It turned out real well and I'm digging the color selection. I went with the same layout as the one on Proline's site in terms of color breaks, but different colors. I've still got to scuff and lay down bedliner on the roof and rear bed area, as well as the fender flares. Then it's on to the decals and getting the rear light buckets situated. I'll post up pics when she's all done.
Old 09-29-2018, 10:33 AM   #972
I wanna be Dave

Ok, so I was gonna wait until she was completely done, but here's a sneak peak. Super stoked at how crisp all the spray lines and transitions turned out. No bleed under or over-spray anywhere. Anyway, I decided to post some pics so I can get some feedback. I scuffed, prepped and cleaned the exterior bed and roof line and shot it with bedliner.

My original intent was to also bedliner the fender flares and lower rockers. Now I'm not so sure. Maybe less is more? It just looks super clean right now, and I don't wanna over do it. That said, I know the Barronco body looked sweet after I used bedliner on the flares.

Opinions????
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2018, 10:11 AM   #973
I wanna be Dave

Promptly took the little Sumo out to the rocks this morning after finishing up. Decided to keep the flares and rockers bedliner free for now. Figure I can always do them later. Really pleased with the way this little rig/body turned out.

Out on the rocks though, it quickly became evident that I've got way too much Flex and Articulation out of the little MRC chassis for the full fendered body. It absolutely stuffs the wheels up in to the body to the point of binding it up as the wheels rub. I figured this may be an issue from the word go. I'm going to experiment with some travel limiting and see what I can come up with.

The LED buckets out back worked out really well too. I simply masked the rear taillight area off when I sprayed to keep the lens area clear. The rear red LED's then shine real nice through the taillight decal.
Attached Images

Old 10-07-2018, 09:40 AM   #974

Hey all, I am planning on picking the up the rolling chassis option and switching out the gearbox and axles. I am going to pick up a pair of steel centre diveshafts too but I am not sure what length I should be looking for.
If someone knows the centre shaft measurements or wouldn’t mind measuring theirs, I would be very grateful. Apologies if this has been posted before, I did search but couldn’t find the answer.
I have been looking at these Suzuki builds and decided I am going to have to join in!
JonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2018, 03:42 PM   #975
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyjumper View Post
Two thumbs up on the Sumo. I wasn't keen on that body, but you've changed my mind. Well done.
Thanks!

Now I just need to get the over flexing sorted.
Old 11-04-2018, 02:24 PM   #976
I wanna be Dave

After a good, long season of leaving it ALL out on the trails and rocks, Dirty Steve's rig got a good and thorough cleaning and maintenance. The old girl still cleans up pretty well if I do say myself!

This little rig totally impressed me this season with it's ability to just take abuse. It was literally rode hard and put away wet. Just takes a lick'n and keeps on tick'n. Other than the couple blown CVD's, which were Dirty Steve's fault, there have been no major issues.

I've got some plans for her over the Winter, so she should be back better than ever next season!
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #977
Pebble Pounder

I wish I could say the same! I moved 2 weeks ago and I have yet to find dirt or trails here so all I've been doing is driving my S2000 around and doing maintenance on it. Fun car though!
Old 11-09-2018, 12:16 PM   #978
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I wish I could say the same! I moved 2 weeks ago and I have yet to find dirt or trails here so all I've been doing is driving my S2000 around and doing maintenance on it. Fun car though!
That sucks man. Not even a local park or anything?
Old 11-10-2018, 03:41 PM   #979
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
That sucks man. Not even a local park or anything?
Not really a good area there is crime going on so even my helis are put away. I've found some areas near work, because I still work at the same place.
Old 11-12-2018, 01:07 PM   #980
Rock Stacker

Has anyone used these axle assemblies on any rigs? They look great. I snapped one of mine running heavy steel wheels. I had epoxy locked the spoils so rather than messing with the sorta light axles I am gonna upgrade. Was gonna build a set of stock scx102 but for the cost of parts no reason not to go with these. Add some weight down low.

https://www.ebay.com/i/273540992965?...3D273540992965

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Tundratrader is offline   Reply With Quote