Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > General Scale Talk

Notices

Thread: Coming soon RC4WD desert runner

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 11:37 PM   #101
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Coming soon RC4WD desert runner

Ten, 8mm spacers and I got a dern lift kit! Front bumper is still in stock location.

Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2018, 02:52 AM   #102
SSD
RCC Addict

"It’s a functioning static model that happens to be R/C. "

I think this is the most appropriate description.
SSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 06:33 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Szczerba View Post
Ten, 8mm spacers and I got a dern lift kit! Front bumper is still in stock location.
That looks great!

Are the diffs open or locked?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post

I would agree that's what it appears to be. But to me, that description says the durability might not be there though especially if the truck is abused.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:33 AM   #104
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brake Weight View Post
Slammed on 3or4s with some drift tires.
tell me i wont do it...

pull the front drive shafts, add a gyro...

**i might even have some inspiration...

https://jalopnik.com/this-ford-f-150...car-1756715120
http://www.speedhunters.com/2015/09/...rtr-ford-f150/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bJ424-lPwV4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jyRJ2wXKEk0

Last edited by Shinchu; 11-07-2018 at 01:46 PM.
Shinchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 08:46 AM   #105
I wanna be Dave

Default Coming soon RC4WD desert runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSD View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

I would agree that's what it appears to be. But to me, that description says the durability might not be there though especially if the truck is abused.
When I said that It’s a functioning static model that happens to be R/C, don't pay much attention to the order of the words or each descriptor. It's tough to relay, as this truck is kind of a new class of scale RTR R/C's. The truck is detailed in scale appearance and parts but is also hobby grade R/C. I would say it is a close split of 40% functioning scale, 40% static model and 20% R/C. The 20% is just cause of the suspension and body/tire clearance setup which diminishes the ability but I knew that when I hit the "buy" button. The suspension components are well built and look the part of 1:1, for the most part.

The plastic is very good quality and doesn't seem like other R/C plastics I have come across. I would have no concerns about bashing this truck and it holding up, other than maybe the front axle shafts possibly being a weak point but I have not even drove the truck yet. haha.

Quote:
That looks great!

Are the diffs open or locked?
Both, open or locked, selectable on the radio, like the Dakar truck. The dakar truck is 2pd and selectable lockers, both done on the radio. No issues with the Dakar setup yet.

I think I forgot this steering picture. Right now, the knuckle arm hits the shock spring and limits crazy amount of steering, so a redesigned steering knuckle could get you more throw. You could flip the steering links to mount to the underside of the slidy arm and not loose slidy throw from a suspension change, if you wanted a taller riding truck from aftermarket A-arms. Probably would have to notch some of the chassis.
Slidy steering piece.

Last edited by Szczerba; 11-07-2018 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-07-2018, 08:54 AM   #106

Quote:
I think I forgot this steering picture. Right now, the knuckle arm hits the shock spring and limits crazy amount of steering, so a redesigned steering knuckle could get you more throw. You could flip the steering links to mount to the underside of the slidy arm and not loose slidy throw from a suspension change, if you wanted a taller riding truck from aftermarket A-arms. Probably would have to notch some of the chassis.
Slidy steering piece.
That's a real big oversight right there.

I'd like to know more about the shocks - some of which you can answer until you run it. What's the OD? What's the eye to eye length? Do they leak? And how do they perform?
Old 11-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #107
I wanna be Dave

Get out the 3D printers...
Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:18 AM   #108
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
That's a real big oversight right there.

I'd like to know more about the shocks - some of which you can answer until you run it. What's the OD? What's the eye to eye length? Do they leak? And how do they perform?
Personally, it's not a big deal. If the aftermarket support isn't there then I will just modify it myself or run it as is. I have other trucks to be crazy capable.
This truck is a new niche for RTR, so it all can't be perfect in scale in performance with a decent price, especially on the first release. Folks will always look to make improvements in whatever they buy, it's the hobby.

Shocks seem good on the bench but yah, I can't comment on the other questions right now. I am super surprised and happy how the rear leafs look and function. Ultra smooth with no clunkyiness. They get a Gold Star on refrigerator for that.
Old 11-07-2018, 10:27 AM   #109
Quarry Creeper

I’m sold on this truck. Just waiting for it to show up with Canadian distributors.
Smonkman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 11:40 AM   #110
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for the great close up pics and nice that the body can be easily lifted for a little more clearance. Seems the steering 'rack' might benefit from a nylon bushing insert, appears to be aluminum on aluminum? Love this truck, we need more of this!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 01:28 PM   #111
I wanna be Dave

would taller shock rod ends help with the steering knuckle clearance issue?
yes it would raise the suspension and possibly dork up the geometry, but might be half of a solution?

lack of steering really puts a "damper" on my capability to recreate the fun-haver i posted up there earlier...

Last edited by Shinchu; 11-07-2018 at 01:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:33 PM   #112
I wanna be Dave

Come awn Shane we need pictures of your toy truck driving on dirt and rocks!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #113
I wanna be Dave

Default Coming soon RC4WD desert runner

Rack seems “ok” for now.
Longer Front shock rod ends wont help, as the suspension and shocks limit out at the same time. I pulled a front shock off to see.
I am getting home when it is dark, so no driving during the week. I plan on painting the body/interior and will probably do that before too long.

Shocks are 8mm OD with 3mm shafts.
Functioning reservoir adjustments.

8mm lift with other wheels/tires.
Old 11-08-2018, 06:21 AM   #114
I wanna be Dave

Could the lower control arm be redesigned and printed so that the lower shock mount is more inboard? Giving the shocks a more vertical mounting position and possibly making enough room for additional steering throw and suspension travel?

Quote:
Slidy steering piece.

Quote:

Brake Weight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 07:55 AM   #115

Any other online retailers have this in stock ? RC4WD's shipping cost is steep to me.
kevman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:00 AM   #116
I wanna be Dave

only downer to inboarding the shocks would be the leverage effect making the suspension effectively softer. might need to up the oil weight and MAYBE re-spring. maybe.
good idea though.

as far as longer rod end, what if you reduced the upper mount some how, like having the shock go THROUGH the upper mount and bolting on top instead of underneath, effectively re-positioning the shock higher, and out of the way of the steering.

that's pretty damn impressive about the adjustable reservoirs though!

*annnnnnd just realized i literally fell asleep last night before i could watch Matt's unfurling or whatever of his container... new humans are exhausting.

** this image right here. MONEY. i actually pictured a scale dirtbike strapped in would totally complete the look of this truck. AWESOME!
Quote:

Last edited by Shinchu; 11-08-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:28 AM   #117
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchu View Post
only downer to inboarding the shocks would be the leverage effect making the suspension effectively softer. might need to up the oil weight and MAYBE re-spring. maybe.
good idea though.

as far as longer rod end, what if you reduced the upper mount some how, like having the shock go THROUGH the upper mount and bolting on top instead of underneath, effectively re-positioning the shock higher, and out of the way of the steering.

that's pretty damn impressive about the adjustable reservoirs though!

*annnnnnd just realized i literally fell asleep last night before i could watch Matt's unfurling or whatever of his container... new humans are exhausting.

** this image right here. MONEY. i actually pictured a scale dirtbike strapped in would totally complete the look of this truck. AWESOME!
Not to worry, Fedex didn't think it was necessary to deliver the box on time. Rescheduled to Saturday at noon EST.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #118

Quote:
Rack seems “ok” for now.
Longer Front shock rod ends wont help, as the suspension and shocks limit out at the same time. I pulled a front shock off to see.
I am getting home when it is dark, so no driving during the week. I plan on painting the body/interior and will probably do that before too long.

Shocks are 8mm OD with 3mm shafts.

8mm lift with other wheels/tires.
Thank you. Did you get the length by chance? I’m curious if they’d work on the TF2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthatguy View Post
Not to worry, Fedex didn't think it was necessary to deliver the box on time. Rescheduled to Saturday at noon EST.
WTFFFF! That’s like waking up on Christmas morning and being told to wait until next weekend to open your presents.
Old 11-08-2018, 09:40 AM   #119
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Thank you. Did you get the length by chance? I’m curious if they’d work on the TF2.

WTFFFF! That’s like waking up on Christmas morning and being told to wait until next weekend to open your presents.
Imagine how I felt. The rest of my week is a mess, so Saturday it is.
imthatguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #120
I wanna be Dave

awww bummer!
well, at least i didn't miss anything

Saturday works better for me anyway. that's my "stay up late goofing off" day

Coming soon RC4WD desert runner - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Coming SOON!! NEW Traxxas Unlimited Desert Racer Accessories. RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 0 07-02-2018 10:28 AM
Ballistic17's Wraith Build (Desert Runner) Ballistic17 Axial Wraith 46 06-09-2016 02:15 PM
Hybrid (Desert runner/Street truck/Crawler) Clod 4x4boy 1.9 Scale Rigs 6 09-06-2014 10:57 PM