Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Vendors > Holmes Hobbies

Notices

Thread: HH Cobalt Puller- Reborn page 35!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2012, 02:40 PM   #721
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: HH Cobalt Puller- Reborn page 35!

These are going to be nice! I cannot wait
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-2012, 02:45 PM   #722
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

After the motors are finalized on basic spec, I will get a new endbell injection molded to my design. Right now I'm waffling on whether to use my own brushes on the 500, or to use standard 540 brushes. Probably go with standard brushes on the 500 and 400, and use my own design on the 540 and 600 Pullers.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 04:55 PM   #723

Just a bit more work before I retire for the evening. This motor has a bit of error on the faceplate (bearing interior instead of exterior) so it turned out a smidge longer than a normal 540. Startup is like a regular 540 with the armature I am testing now. I have another armature that will start much smoother though. Figured a "worst case" is always a good place to start.

50% magnet coverage
2000kv
1.9a no load @4v
4.5 ounces on the nose
30.8mm diameter

Compared to a TorqueMaster 27t
1900kv
1.6a no load @4v
6.41 ounces
35.8mm diameter

A pretty good start to a new product line! I'll try to knock out another one or two tomorrow so I can compare various magnet layouts.
Attached Images

Old 08-21-2012, 07:37 PM   #724
Y-Town Crawlers

Its awesome to finally see these become a reality.

Great work John
Del Monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:26 PM   #725
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Del Monte View Post
Its awesome to finally see these become a reality.

Great work John
X2! Absolutely can't wait!
4xFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 11:58 PM   #726
I wanna be Dave

Must have!!!!!!!!!!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:49 AM   #727
RCC Addict

Oooh!!! Me likey. Must have
demonoid369 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:20 PM   #728

Gotta knock out a few more protos before I settle on the best fit for the 500 size. Then we move on to the 3.5 ounce 400

This is the smaller version on the far right, one of the multiple designs I have for the Puller 500. It is .2ounce less than the heavy version (4.3 ounce total with heavy arm), uses a full size 540 armature, but has a slightly higher speed for the same wind. Detent torque is also higher than a standard 540 with the intended armature, but not by much. I'll have to test a set to see if startup is good enough compared to the big version. As you can see they are quite a bit smaller! That is the tradeoff for going super tiny, startup has to suffer if we want strong drag and torque.

60% magnet coverage
2000kv
2.6a no load @4v
4.3 ounces
28.5mm diameter

So now I get the fun job of having to choose one design before we make the mold, which means sending some out for testing and putting a pair in some of my rigs. The best part!!
Attached Images

Old 08-23-2012, 05:58 PM   #729
I wanna be Dave

If you want we can call my rig your testing grounds Haha jk man.. I am really looking forward to this!!! and i know it will be worth the wait
Hittman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 03:40 PM   #730
I wanna be Dave

ANy idea on when I get to send you money? I would love to put one of these in the Rat Rod for Nationals.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #731
I wanna be Dave

Looking forward to seeing these in person at Nats if you've got them handy
ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:12 PM   #732

i'll need to finish up a few more protos before we can do an alpha run and offer them to the public. Should be a few weeks.
Old 08-27-2012, 06:08 PM   #733
I wanna be Dave

Sweet! Thank you Sir. Hopefully I still have funds and time before nationals.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #734
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Gotta knock out a few more protos before I settle on the best fit for the 500 size. Then we move on to the 3.5 ounce 400

This is the smaller version on the far right, one of the multiple designs I have for the Puller 500. It is .2ounce less than the heavy version (4.3 ounce total with heavy arm), uses a full size 540 armature, but has a slightly higher speed for the same wind. Detent torque is also higher than a standard 540 with the intended armature, but not by much. I'll have to test a set to see if startup is good enough compared to the big version. As you can see they are quite a bit smaller! That is the tradeoff for going super tiny, startup has to suffer if we want strong drag and torque.

60% magnet coverage
2000kv
2.6a no load @4v
4.3 ounces
28.5mm diameter

So now I get the fun job of having to choose one design before we make the mold, which means sending some out for testing and putting a pair in some of my rigs. The best part!!
im in!!! thanks for the chance! hit me up boss!
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 05:31 PM   #735

Did some more testing on magnet layouts while I had a few minutes today. I managed to get the startup equal to a torquemaster 540 with an OFF THE SHELF armature The weight got pushed up to 4.8 ounces on the heavy version. The lighter armature drops it to 4.5 ounces. Lighter version is still 4.3 and 4.0 ounces, and I need to test if the new magnet layout transfers over with the same results. My guess is no.

To sum it up I put MORE magnets in the motor and got even better startup. Figure that one out This isn't theory any longer, now we are just polishing the details to get the fine shine on it

My winder just finished up some v2 armatures so we can see how much better startup gets over an off the shelf version, they are yet untested. v1 armatures are showing slightly worse startup than a TorqueMaster with the new magnet layout. In laymans terms, each armature style likes specific magnet layouts.

To throw a wrench in all of this, I also have my own armature design to test. I will be sending off the design to a lamination house after nationals and get the stacks pressed and coated in california. The commutator is already selected, a company in France makes a great "off the shelf" comm that looks very well suited for our needs. If my stator shape works better than the relatively standard ones I am using, there won't be a part left on the production units (besides brushes) that I haven't designed. This isn't a pissing contest though, so I will choose the parts that are the best value for the performance so it isn't a $200+ motor.

Costs are still looking to be right around $100- $125 per motor with standard armatures, even for protos and alpha runs.

Next up, 400 Puller. The 400 puller will cost a bit less, and is still weighing in about 3.5 ounces. Armatures are in the oven now
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #736

I had a few minutes to work on designing the next part of the Puller line, Sealed endbells! If I am going to design the endbell, might as well make it the kind we need most on the first shot. I just laid out the general shape and clearances. I have not checked draft angles yet. There will be two little holes to pass the wire out of the endbell. Right now I am not settled on a fully enclosed version VS one with a little hole in the back to help remove the bearing. What do you think?

I may pop one of these out in carbon fiber or kevlar tube just for giggles. It would look swank!
Attached Images

Old 08-31-2012, 09:08 PM   #737

And work for this weekend, some simplified designs.
Attached Images

Old 09-01-2012, 02:53 PM   #738
Oppan Gangnam Style

Oh my! I can't wait to get my hands on one of these, might go back to brushed on most of my rigs...
chino63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 03:26 PM   #739

Just finished up the first Puller 400 proto, v1. 3.5 ounces on the nose will the heavy armature and full hardware! So we are back to the OG 454 weight area, but with a higher torque density design. As shown is missing a few screws and hasn't had the shaft trimmed. Final weight will be lighter because of the shaft length. Startup is equal to the TorqueMaster motors, and I have another armature here that will make startup better if needed. Like the other motors I will have a few different protos before settling on the best magnet and armature combination.

Quite a few people have asked for this type of motor. Personally I don't think it would suit my driving style as I like a torque dense motor. So the next protos are going to be the Puller 520 and 540 versions for those power crazy people like myself All the parts are here, designs are made, just need to wind and assemble them. They should fall at 4 and 6.5 ounces.
Attached Images

Last edited by JohnRobHolmes; 09-01-2012 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 03:31 PM   #740

Size comparison. Now I am going to a cabin with the wife, so I will pick up where I left off on monday! Have a great weekend!
Attached Images

HH Cobalt Puller- Reborn page 35! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
R1 + Cobalt Puller Highlucks G-Made Crawlers 3 05-31-2010 09:38 PM