Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: SCRC Summer 08 Comp Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2008, 07:57 AM   #81
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaracing View Post
I'm most likely out now, but if luck goes my way i'll try to make it, might miss the 11:30 meeting but no worries. I really need to come so I don't get so far off in point's I don't have a chance! Ben i'm an hour and 15min from there so I hope it doesn't rainout either! I really want to check out the CORR truck bad! Jeff said he's bringin his brand spankin new Slash too so maybe a grudge match! lol
You still out?
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #82
RCC Addict

Leaving my house now....SUNNY....will be there in 20 minutes.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 01:37 PM   #83

Sorry wasnt able to go i wish good luck in thise beautifull morning to every one my work didnt let me be there, may be nex time, sorry cant help with the pictures thise time.
Ecuador Crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 02:20 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced RC View Post
You still out?
Yep, i'm at work right now!!!
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:12 PM   #85
Rock Crawler

Well bubbaracing we got rained out for our second run, weather was great up to that point though. Sure was cool to hold a comp outdoors, I can't wait till the next one!

Has there been a decision on holding a rain date to make up the second run?
Old 06-28-2008, 05:27 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

There is more of a chance of rain tomorrow plus not sure how many people want to make the drive 2 days in a row (not all of us are 10 min away :-() We did all make run 1 and though it was a point out fest, I dont see that run 2 would have changed the standings allot. We may consider having a makeup run before or after comp #3 since it will be at the same location. For future events Im realy thinking we go with 2 course running at the same time if we have more than 10 people in attendance. And we make sure to have an extra stop watch, we could have prolly gotten both runs in if we hadnt been doing 15 min runs.
I was dissapointed that we called the event when we did but, with that stuff that we got hit with when we left, it was a pretty good call. That was a realy good location and Im realy suprised how many spectators we had.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 06:10 PM   #87

i do de drive im in !!
i wasnt able to make it !! because of work:-(
Old 06-28-2008, 07:12 PM   #88
Quarry Creeper

hey steve, if you are strugling to set up the vf dig make sure the bolt & nut on the opposite side of the motor is not real tight. Because that can mess up the allignment of the shaft inside the unit. try setting it up with the whole tranny out of the truck so you can feel it out. you should be able to shift it with your fingers smoothly.

busse was SWEET!!! nothing beats real rock
wrcfan29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 07:47 PM   #89
MWRCA'er

Comp went great, thanks to the people that showed.

Thanks club presidents for allow the comp to continue smoothly. I'll try and figure out what I need to to do to get you guys a recognized club. I'm thinking maybe I can just claim that club mwrca is exempt from IL. Not sure though, I know by next year for sure you guys will be qualified for nationals.

If I had to make suggestions for next time...

Make the courses easier, crawling is more about getting some though and not pointing everybody out. It would just boost the morale. If it was down to taking 1 extra backup then the last guy that ran before you, then the competition would seem more competitive and entertaining to watch from the sidelines. People that would walk up on us would actually see trucks making forward progress and not upside down in hole of death. I do like the tough courses though it really brings out what your capable of. In moab you point out after just 25 points, not 40, trust me it goes really really fast.

Yeah we need timed courses. I understand why it wasn't done this time around. But, the time limit needs to be there to keep the comp moving.

Yeah I would just plan on running 2 courses at the sametime next comp. See how you guys like it. It's fun in that you as a driver are driving more and the comp burden gets over with sooner so that you can pull out the scale trucks, slashes whatever, or even run addtional courses. The only downfall is you might not see your buddys run while your both comping.

Once again it was a great event every club just has learn as you go.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 09:04 PM   #90
Pebble Pounder

Any good pics or videos? I'm so pissed that I couldn't come but i'll try and make it up to the rest of the comps to catch back up in the standings!
Old 06-28-2008, 10:58 PM   #91
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbaracing View Post
Any good pics or videos? I'm so pissed that I couldn't come but i'll try and make it up to the rest of the comps to catch back up in the standings!
I put some pictures up on HobbyZip. No videos though, seems that video of comps turns out to be boring for the most part.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:32 PM   #92
Pebble Pounder

Very cool pics there Ced! Wish I could have made it!
Old 06-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #93
I wanna be Dave

I realy had thought that course would be easy, it was that 2nd gate that was killing everyone, otherwise I think most people drove right thru it.

Im going to get a new battery for the 1 stop watch and buy a second watch. It realy does keep things going allot quicker when you have a clock to worry about.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:38 AM   #94
Quarry Creeper

It was a fun day out for my first crawling competition. The course was quite a challenge for a beginner but I gave it ago. I saw most of the full fendered bodied trucks have a very hard time making it through so I guess I wasn't alone in my struggles. Looks like I've got some work to do before the next event to be a bit more competetive. (& maybe finish the course)

here's a couple pics:

www.thundertechracing.com/crawl/Busse1.jpg
www.thundertechracing.com/crawl/Busse2.jpg

Last edited by ThunderVP; 06-29-2008 at 11:47 AM.
ThunderVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 12:24 PM   #95
Rock Stacker

Cool pics guys! I whis there was time to run the 2nd course
jeepguy7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:58 AM   #96
I wanna be Dave

Ive been thinking about the runnig 2 courses at the same time idea. Heres what I have come up with for next comp to speed things along...
We do the random number draw and divide the group into 2 groups at that number, so if we have 10 people and random number is 5 then 6-10 run course A 1-5 run course B. The groups run through all of their people, short break and then we switch. That way hopefully we should be able to get through 15 trucks in about 1 1/2hrs.

Also, we should consider a general gate limit, maybe no more than 6 gates plus a start and finish?

And have we considered making it a 5 comp series not just a 4 comp? Seems to me we are ending the season short. More comps means a bad showing can be absorbed better. We also may consider throwing out your worst score. These are things we should have thought up before the season began but honestly my head hasnt been in it with all the down time.
Old 07-01-2008, 02:12 AM   #97
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Ive been thinking about the runnig 2 courses at the same time idea. Heres what I have come up with for next comp to speed things along...
We do the random number draw and divide the group into 2 groups at that number, so if we have 10 people and random number is 5 then 6-10 run course A 1-5 run course B. The groups run through all of their people, short break and then we switch. That way hopefully we should be able to get through 15 trucks in about 1 1/2hrs.
Sounds good maybe you can use the insurance forms shuffled up or something. I know other clubs use a bunch of paper numbers in a hat. Then match the drawn numbers with the signup sheet to determine running order. Usually they just send people over after they are done with no break. The main fault being one course takes less time then the other. Be that from repairs, drive time, getting people lined up ect. It gets confussing but its not to bad once you remember who the guy in front of you is.

Quote:
Also, we should consider a general gate limit, maybe no more than 6 gates plus a start and finish?
That seems reasonable to me I've never liked anything over 11 total. You just run out of terrain and double back. Or you just get several worthless needless gates that make it harder for the score keeper and driver to follow. It would greatly help free things up a bit. One thing I noticed talking around at the comp was that a few people expressed that they would have liked to see a larger course. I mean if we have the rock we might as well spread it out straight like. Were not indoors anymore. It just adds some varity and change to course. Although having the course within the view of everybody from one spot is nice. So I can't really say otherwise. My club always had a lack of challenging rock so we always had to thread the needle over the best obstacles with gaps of near nothing in between. So as a result the courses were pretty large. But, the courses relied less on sharp turns and more on challenging lines and obstacles.

Quote:
And have we considered making it a 5 comp series not just a 4 comp? Seems to me we are ending the season short. More comps means a bad showing can be absorbed better. We also may consider throwing out your worst score. These are things we should have thought up before the season began but honestly my head hasnt been in it with all the down time.
Yeah make it 5 Comps I've ran 4 Comp series and they seemed to short and seemed to end abruptly.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 09:31 AM   #98
Rock Crawler

We should consider checking out the area labeled "Good Spot" for our next Busse Comp. The parking area is a little more secluded, and the rocks are a little different in size and spacing, similar type of rocks and similar concrete in between. Parking area is closer to the crawling area too. Anyone want to check it out prior to the next comp?
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #99

Looks good thanks for the good spots, lets do a GTG on sunday morning

Last edited by Ecuador Crawler; 07-04-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:49 PM   #100
I wanna be Dave

Im good with trying a new location... someplace with less foot traffic would be nice, although all the spectators was kind of fun.