Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: SCRC Summer 08 Comp Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2008, 05:36 PM   #101
Rock Crawler

Probably about the same amount of foot traffic anywhere there's rocks at Busse, all the rocks are near the trail/bike path unfortunately.

Check out this video I shot at the other location:

Click Me
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-09-2008, 08:33 AM   #102
I wanna be Dave

Finally had a chance to watch the video... I like it. The only issue I can see is making sure everyone knows there is a location change but, not too hard to send an email to all the members and post it on the website.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 01:08 PM   #103
RCC Addict

Ced....lets go.
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2008, 02:54 PM   #104
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
Ced....lets go.
Let me know when you wanna go. I have a big RC Air Show to attend this Saturday up near Milwaukee if weather permits, but other than that I'm open to suggested dates/times.

We should do it soon though, just in case we break stuff, need time to get replacement parts prior to the next comp.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:57 PM   #105
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Finally had a chance to watch the video... I like it. The only issue I can see is making sure everyone knows there is a location change but, not too hard to send an email to all the members and post it on the website.
I could bring my bicycle down there too, ride back over to the original location a few times prior to the comp, make sure nobody is lost etc. This location has an area with larger rocks too, may be better for Supers.
Old 07-09-2008, 03:32 PM   #106
I wanna be Dave

those larger rocks in the video looked like they made for some good climbs.

I need a trailer for my bike or a pulling truck like Brad had.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:31 PM   #107
Rock Crawler

Quote:
those larger rocks in the video looked like they made for some good climbs.

I need a trailer for my bike or a pulling truck like Brad had.
That pulling truck was awesome, made me want one too. This location is actually closer to the parking area too.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:43 PM   #108
I wanna be Dave

We should start thinking about our fall series.. is anyone against splitting 2.2 class into novice and pro? Its too late for the summer series but for fall it could work. Novice would have 20" gates and pro 16-18". Pro could have the lower traction harder courses and novice easier more trail oriented. Another idea would be, instead of different course you could have 1-2 obsticles that are bonus gates in novice and standard gates in pro.

Once you win a Novice comp you have to go Pro and once you place top 3-5 in Novice series you go pro. Just an idea, other clubs have done it and succeeded.

On another note... I would realy like to give Lockport another chance... when its dry its allot better and if 1-2 people could help me move some rock over where course B was we could make it a nice area... we already got a start.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:27 PM   #109
Rock Crawler

**MOVED from Busse Comp #3 Thread**

Just a thought, but what if we alternated who designs the courses? I know Jeff has already said that he wants others to layout the next comp courses, but I'm thinking long term. How about two persons to layout each course, switching people at each comp?

1. This will create diversity, different people have different perspectives etc.

2. I believe this will help people "see" good lines, for performance sake.

Another suggestion on this subject, several members should oversee new course designers first attempt for course layout, help insure that impossible obstacles are avoided, keep courses within a realistic time frame etc.

Also I think we should all do some research here on RCC and look at how other well established clubs layout their courses, educate ourselves, learn from other's mistakes and frustrations.

There were several things I didn't like about Lockport:

1. Rain: condition obviously out of our control, but seems that it made for difficult traction situations, especially with moss retaining moisture etc.

2. Both courses seemed to have a significant amount of loose debris which changed the course with each run, twigs, rocks, plant stuff, pieces of Zach's rig etc.

3. Inability to mark each gate marker location with chalk, with debris hitting and covering up gate markers, rigs moving gate markers etc, the course may have actually changed slightly from run to run, I think the courses should be more consistent.

If future comps will be held at Lockport let's see what we can do to eliminate course inconsistencies from run to run, obviously without changing the landscape too much, but make it more like Rock Crawling versus Trail Riding.

Just want to throw these things out there, make our future comps as good as they possibly can be, good as in challenging, but not impossible, fun but not too easy.
Old 07-21-2008, 01:59 PM   #110
I wanna be Dave

**MOVED from Busse Comp #3 Thread**

I was actually thinking this morning that some kind of alternating course designing would be good. At the last 2 comps I have designed A and Zach Designed B. I think who ever designs the courses needs to have preran the location and all obsticles first (actually at least 2 people should have) I had done that @ lockport previously (and posted video of it) on course A and I had done some of B but course B got changed ALLOT from what I had intended it to be.

It also has to be kept in mind, this is a comp not a GTG, the obsticles need to be harder than you would normally do playing around. Still doable by 80% of the people just not easily. Anyone that has been to a 1:1 comp will know what I am talking about.

I think the rain hurt us the most @ lockport, I had marked all of course A gates with chalk and then the rain washed it away.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:17 AM   #111
I wanna be Dave

Ive been doing a little "research" checking out scores from other clubs and watching videos and our comp results realy arent that far off of several other clubs. For instance, at the big comp in Mt recently, 1 course had about 3/4 of the people pointing out while the other course had scores averageing around 20-25 with a couple - scores and about 4-5 40's. Watching videos of different comps, none of our obsticles are realy out of the norm, it looks like several course are designed with at least 1 gate that is realy hard, like course A gate 1 @ lockport or Course A gate 2 @ busse. What I am seeing though, almost all the realy hard obsticles are gate 4-5, basically near the end. Given we do have allot of people that are competing for the first time... Im just thinking we need to not only make sure our courses are easy enough to be doable but, also hard enough to be a competition.
I am thinking we should establish a course commity to design and build the courses at each event. Maybe 4 of our core members that can get together early on comp day (11:30ish) and look at the area and decide what a doable yet hard course would be. Easiest would be to use the 4 people that hold positions, we are already elected by the club and are the leadership (Pres,VP,Sec and Webmaster). I figure the 4 of us bring different views to the process... I like courses hard, Zach likes trail runs and Josh/Ced are both good drivers yet still new to the sport.
Old 07-23-2008, 12:44 PM   #112
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I am thinking we should establish a course commity to design and build the courses at each event. Maybe 4 of our core members that can get together early on comp day (11:30ish) and look at the area and decide what a doable yet hard course would be. Easiest would be to use the 4 people that hold positions, we are already elected by the club and are the leadership (Pres,VP,Sec and Webmaster). I figure the 4 of us bring different views to the process... I like courses hard, Zach likes trail runs and Josh/Ced are both good drivers yet still new to the sport.
Sounds good to me, I'm more than happy to show up early and contribute in this fashion. I also like the idea of having a more difficult obstacle at gate 4 or 5, or near the end of the course. I think we should eventually do some bonus gates too.
Old 07-23-2008, 01:59 PM   #113

on the results from lockport you have my last name as kaspon it is actually kasper
ghosty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:19 PM   #114
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghosty1 View Post
on the results from lockport you have my last name as kaspon it is actually kasper
Sorry about that, I will fix it right away for you.

Good driving by the way!
Old 07-23-2008, 02:26 PM   #115

thanks for the fix and thanks for the kind words but it was just luck
ghosty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 02:55 PM   #116
I wanna be Dave

I appologize for any misspellings... I do my best but sometimes I have trouble reading the names.

Ghosty1, that was a pretty impressive run for a first comp

I definatly want a bonus gate... if we go back to lockport I already have it figured out... something doable but DANG HARD. At Busse we could use a 5' section with the larger rocks.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:41 PM   #117
Rock Stacker

I really like the sound of having four members decide how to assemble the courses (i'm thinking me, Jeff, Ced, and Josh). For the next comp I would like to see something similar to the first bussie run. Course A being more difficult and Course B having more of a trail run to it, include more room between gates, and include more gates. Also.... I didn't break my truck this time.......
jeepguy7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 07:57 PM   #118

Talking

You know I am always willing to give my opinion , ever if not wanted sorry for that at times ,just trying to make it fun for every one.
Rock Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:48 AM   #119
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Fink View Post
You know I am always willing to give my opinion , ever if not wanted sorry for that at times ,just trying to make it fun for every one.
Bob who! hehe j/k
Yep sounds good on how y'all want to do the course set-up. I like the idea or the harder gate to the end of the course for sure!
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #120
MWRCA'er

I agree on the many people helping with course setup. Just makes it easier having several eyes to find interesting lines and what not. I would suggest going with slightly easier courses. Not easy or boring but enough challenge for one to make progress through the course. Easy enough to accomplish progress while still being on a razors edge from loosing the run. It's more fun when most people can compete the course and it's down to single backup points or gates. I would suggest straighter course setups to leave capability less dependant on steering and more on driver skill and line choice.

Some of you guys have to make it out to some out of state event this year so you can really get a feel for it.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote