Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Regional > Midwest > Illinois

Notices

Thread: SCRC Summer 08 Comp Talk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default SCRC Summer 08 Comp Talk

I want to start discussion of possible locations and dates for the SCRC 2008 Summer Comp Series. I will create a similar thread on BigSquidRC forum also.

Ideas for locations and dates need to be discussed. Considering that we already have a comp scheduled for June 7th down south at Jeff's place we need to start planning comps to follow. Maybe scheduling comps approx 3 to 4 weeks apart?

Here's the current two locations I'm aware of:

Lockport, near Dellwood Park
Elk Grove Village, Busse Woods

Also we need to gauge interest of what classes to run at the comps. Obviously we have a lot of competitors for 2.2 Class, but do we have people interested in Super Class and some sort of Scale Class?

I personally have a 2.2 and a Super. I'm considering a scaler at the moment.
Ced RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2008, 02:28 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Im all for Super and 2.2 Not much of a scaler fan myself... I think the problem with Supers will be places to run them. There are some spots at Dellwood and my "farm" but realy nothing special for a super.

I personally would like to see comps every 3-4 weeks and small GTG's in between.

I was actually planning to post up a poll on Bigsquid about making the comp at my place part of the series... With it being so far away I am worried that people wont want to drive to it and once they have 100 point day they wont want to compete in the series especially with the $5 Entry fee.
jetboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 09:11 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetboat View Post
Im all for Super and 2.2 Not much of a scaler fan myself... I think the problem with Supers will be places to run them. There are some spots at Dellwood and my "farm" but realy nothing special for a super.

I personally would like to see comps every 3-4 weeks and small GTG's in between.

I was actually planning to post up a poll on Bigsquid about making the comp at my place part of the series... With it being so far away I am worried that people wont want to drive to it and once they have 100 point day they wont want to compete in the series especially with the $5 Entry fee.
Not much of a scaler fan? I thought you were asking if people were interested in a 1.9 class? That's basically like a scale class right?

Looks like we may not need to worry about Super Class, I think myself and the MWRCA guys are the only people with Supers?

I would like to get our Summer Comp Series underway soon, but I fear that a good number of people won't want to make the drive down to your "farm", not sure though, that's part of the reason I created this thread. I really want to make it down for your bash on the 7th but I have a family reunion down in Oklahoma the week before, things will be hectic for me.

Hopefully we can get some responses here for discussion.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:59 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

As soon as the racing season starts going here locally I can get away and i'm gonna scout out some other locations down by me for some comps! I'd say do one at the spot where I go crawlin but, kinda hard to get down under the bridge, and there's poison ivy close by to the area, not a lot of parking at my in-laws, etc, etc. If needed I could ask about parking out in the side yard at the in-laws? And go in there and clean up the area to get down there, if we need another place I can see what I can do!

Matt

Last edited by bubbaracing; 05-06-2008 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Stupid
bubbaracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:17 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

the 1.9's Im talking about would be just small comp rigs... nowhere scale..

Anyway, Im working on a super myself but, maybe we should get with midwest and see if they would like to split the series with us, we do 2.2 since there seems to be gobs in the area and they do Super since thats what most of them have.
At the meeting people voted to put the "farm" in the series but, we also talked that we should open it up online because less than half the club ever makes it to a meeting.
I personally think we should go ahead and set a date for a comp @ Busse, or at least put up a poll over on bigsquid voting for a dates for Busse. I still want to put a GTG together for Lockport, maybe this weekend but my sched is looking busy so might have to be next. Then we could have a late June/July comp there.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I have not been to LOCKPORT, but if we are having difficulty finding 4-5 different locations, why not just alternate between Lockport and Busse with the FARM comp in there as well. a 5 comp series set every 3 weeks would definitely offer enough points that a miss at the FARM would not eliminate a person. Busse is large enough that a few comps there would not even be close to the same experience. I cannot say that of Lockport since I have not been there. Keeping the series to 2 good "local" locations (4 comps) and the FARM comp should still make all comps accessible and if a person misses one, they are not out of the running. Thoughts??
xirtic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
I have not been to LOCKPORT, but if we are having difficulty finding 4-5 different locations, why not just alternate between Lockport and Busse with the FARM comp in there as well. a 5 comp series set every 3 weeks would definitely offer enough points that a miss at the FARM would not eliminate a person. Busse is large enough that a few comps there would not even be close to the same experience. I cannot say that of Lockport since I have not been there. Keeping the series to 2 good "local" locations (4 comps) and the FARM comp should still make all comps accessible and if a person misses one, they are not out of the running. Thoughts??
I'm with you on alternating, sounds good to me. Busse can provide countless variations for course layout, and although I have not been to Lockport recently, from what I remember it should be pretty diverse as well.

I also agree that if we ran 5 comps missing one wouldn't be that devastating to the points, but I would still like to get some feedback from other members on having Jeff's place part of the series, I'm all for it.

Have we got even a rough estimate of how many people would show on June 7th?

Should we start discussing dates at Busse and Lockport?

Plan a 2.2 Series, exclude Super's until interest is developed?
Old 05-07-2008, 01:03 AM   #8
MWRCA'er

If I have to give advice I'd say keep the comp areas within a set distance. That way you get a consistant showing of people. People don't go oh that comp is to far then drop out the series. Middle of the series your the only competitor left who has a chance of winning, showing up or giving a damn. Thats what happened to my club. Exactly why I have no plans for a series this year, just a comp here and there to keep the fun flowing. You will be far better off if you run a series at one location. What may be another 10 minutes drive for one guy could mean another 40 minutes for a other guy. People complain and moan, lets just say you will be better off at a single location even if you run a short 3 comp series. Jetboats place although nice is far far far away from all chitown interested members, 4 hour drive for me through the most flat country on the face of the earth. I'm not sure if I will make some of your series or not if it's within a 2 hour drive I'll show up to a few. It's just the best crawl areas are equal distance to me (devils lake, caves) so I'm sure you understand.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2008, 05:00 AM   #9
RCC Addict

I like the point that the FARM may just be toooo far to include as it may completely discourage some from participating at all. That is a VERY valid point. But I do stand by alternating locations. Since there are a bunch of people North...and a bunch of people SOUTH....it seems only fair to alternate. Busse is not that FAR north and is easily accessible right off of I-355/I-290 and I-90. If we were talking Zion or Evanston, then that might be a different story as those are tough to access even from the NW burbs. From say Naperville, the drive to Busse is only 30 minutes. When I drove to Orland from my house, it was only 1 hour....NOT a horrible drive. I am certain that LOCKPORT will be similar in terms of distance. If it is a long drive for 2 comps for people.....and a shorter drive for 2 comps....that seems pretty fair. The lucky people live right in the middle.
Old 05-07-2008, 07:51 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Busse is 45 mins or so from me and Lockport is 10 so for me alternating between the 2 would be great. I realy think Dropping the farm from the series is a good idea but we need a vote from a majority of the club not just the 4-5 of us...Im going to go ahead and put up a vote about it on Bigsquid and send out an email to the entire club to join in the discussion either here or over on squiddy.

I wish I could get a rough count of how many people are planning to attend the June 7, Im planning to pick up dogs and brats for lunch and would be nice to know.

Mnster, isnt the Caves just over the line in Ia (Maquoketa??) I have been wanting to get to a comp there but havent seen midwest run there in a while...
Old 05-07-2008, 07:56 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Well, add me to the FARM. I already have my hotel booked. I will also do the poll at BigSquid.
Old 05-07-2008, 02:39 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

im not a very active member but i think that would be an ideal way to go. i run a 2.2 but am always lookin for something different like a super. that would be no problem for me

Quote:
the 1.9's Im talking about would be just small comp rigs... nowhere scale..

Anyway, Im working on a super myself but, maybe we should get with midwest and see if they would like to split the series with us, we do 2.2 since there seems to be gobs in the area and they do Super since thats what most of them have.
At the meeting people voted to put the "farm" in the series but, we also talked that we should open it up online because less than half the club ever makes it to a meeting.
I personally think we should go ahead and set a date for a comp @ Busse, or at least put up a poll over on bigsquid voting for a dates for Busse. I still want to put a GTG together for Lockport, maybe this weekend but my sched is looking busy so might have to be next. Then we could have a late June/July comp there.
clod & bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 01:01 AM   #13
MWRCA'er

Quote:
Mnster, isnt the Caves just over the line in Ia (Maquoketa??) I have been wanting to get to a comp there but havent seen midwest run there in a while...
Yeah, just a few miles over the border. We haven't set up anything in Iowa as of yet because all of the areas are flood control areas that are filled with water this time of the year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ced RC View Post
at the comps. Obviously we have a lot of competitors for 2.2 Class, but do we have people interested in Super Class and some sort of Scale Class?

Supers, oh yes...

Now that you have the room, run them. Judging by the photos of busse woods, they look like they would be more at home in that ledge type stuff then 2.2's. Besides I hate 2.2's.

Scalers, nah just keep them for fun. To hard to regulate the definition of "scale".

I mapped a few of those areas, I'll be in for them. Only a hour and a half.

Last edited by Mnster; 05-08-2008 at 03:48 AM.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Busse does have some good offerings for Supers, although I'm not much of a judge, I'm having a helluva time figuring out this damn Pimp Cane

I may actually switch to a stick or hustler, but not sure if I want to try the pimp cane for this season at least? The NN i had together prior to the pimp cane was much more predictable but the belly clearance seemed like a problem, so I'm not sure about 2008 and my Super Class rig.....

Mnster: If you want to have a gtg here at Busse sometime LMK
Old 05-08-2008, 05:29 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

It looks like the polls on the Busse Comp are pretty split...We should probably rule out the 14th because of the BigSquid Bash... Do we want to just make a ruling on between the 2 other "winning" dates?
Old 05-08-2008, 05:35 PM   #16
RCC Addict

I think that since the FARM is the 7th & 8th.....and Big Squid is the 14th....a week break would be good....then the comp on the 28th makes sense. Then there is the 4th of July weekend....then we could follow that with Comp #2. This timeline would allow people a break between events. Pushing Comp #1 to Sunday June 15th will then have taken 2 full weekends in a row away from families. This is just my 2 cents.
Old 05-08-2008, 09:11 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by xirtic View Post
I think that since the FARM is the 7th & 8th.....and Big Squid is the 14th....a week break would be good....then the comp on the 28th makes sense. Then there is the 4th of July weekend....then we could follow that with Comp #2. This timeline would allow people a break between events. Pushing Comp #1 to Sunday June 15th will then have taken 2 full weekends in a row away from families. This is just my 2 cents.
My $.02 agrees 100% with all things considered. June/July is gonna be busy.
I definitely plan to attend BigSquids Bash, still not sure about Jeff's bash (only due to me traveling out of town for an extended Memorial Day weekend) but we should try to give everyone a break between events.
Old 05-09-2008, 05:52 AM   #18
I wanna be Dave

I also agree... 28th makes the most sense.

Now we just need to figure out abouut lockport....
Old 05-09-2008, 08:19 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

I think June 28th works good for Busse, we should make it official.

How about July 19th for Lockport? That would put 3 weeks between comps.
Rain date the following Saturday July 26th?

Then go with another 3 weeks from the July 19th date for the next comp? That would put us at August 9th.

I'm open and flexible of course, just thought I would throw these dates out there.
Old 05-09-2008, 08:41 AM   #20
I wanna be Dave

That sounds like a good sched for me.... Just have to get a GTG for Lockport ASAP so we can plan it out

I called the Lockport park district and they of course didnt have any clue what I was talking about so they had me leave a VM for the excutive director. The Admin I spoke to said " I dont know how fee's would be and insurance we would require" Im afraid Lockport might be out hearing that but, we will see.

Last edited by jetboat; 05-09-2008 at 08:54 AM.