Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs General Tech > Large Scale Rigs

Notices

Thread: 1/6 scale rock racer

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #181
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy View Post
I concur. The e-maxx tranny can better handle the size of your rig. However, once you go this direction, you might be so tempted to go BIG on the ESC, BL Motor, and Battery since you got all that space to inboard.

Anyway, I really am liking the size, the stance, and the direction your heading.

Thanks for the kind words. You now own the original inspiration for this rig.

I have not done much with any of my rigs. Been to busy here at home. I hope to get some time soon to do some more work.
cruiserkb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-25-2009, 08:16 AM   #182
Rock Crawler

OMG subscribed! Simply amazing work.
phillyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #183
Rock Crawler

Well not much actual progress has been made but I thought that I might give you all a little teaser shot.

Enjoy!

Can someone say powerplant!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:04 AM   #184
RCC Addict

Powerplant! I'm guessing 2 Pullers right there - AWESOME!
Siggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 09:06 AM   #185
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Powerplant! I'm guessing 2 Pullers right there - AWESOME!

We have a winner!!!
Old 10-10-2009, 09:22 AM   #186
RCC Addict

That's exactly what I'm running in my 1/6 Chevy. You will NOT be disappointed!
NickRummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #187

What size motor you plan on putting ?
aashu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 AM   #188
Rock Crawler

I am running two 10t pullers from Holmes Hobbies.

More to come soon!
Old 10-13-2009, 12:13 PM   #189
RCC Addict

You going to run 3S lipo? I have (2) 7T pullers on 3S lipo and it's pretty easy to put air under the tires
Old 10-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #190
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
You going to run 3S lipo? I have (2) 7T pullers on 3S lipo and it's pretty easy to put air under the tires

I am not sure as to which way I will go with this. What sort of run time are you getting?

I am still sort of new to the world of RC and I am slowly beginning to understand the battery lingo. I know that I would need a charger, but I need one that would do lipo's and standard cells ( so I can begin to run my rc10t3 ). I don't even have a battery for that rig yet. What charger would you recommend that would do both and that would not kill the bank? Would I be better off getting separate charging systems?

How safe are the lipo's? I have four children and I don't want some thing that would be to dangerous. I would do all of the charging and battery handling but my children are getting older and are expressing interest in doing some of this on their own. I just want to be safe!

Also what are the dimension of the pack that you are using? This may be the most limiting factor in the decision? I know that if I don't run a seat i should have no problem but I would like to run some sort of interior.

Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 10-15-2009, 02:56 PM   #191
RCC Addict

I'm running this battery and my run time is insane. I have to be getting an hour or so at least.

http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store..._30C_Lipo_Pack

It's a pretty big pack

Pack Size: 143 x 49 x 24mm

The puller motors are rated for up to 40A so you should probably get a pack capable of at least 80A.

This pack would give you at least half hour run time most likely and is a bit smaller

Pack Size: 137 x 43 x 22mm

As for a charger. I swear by Hyperion chargers. I have the 610 I got from Holmes Hobbies and love it. Lipos are a lot safer than everyone gives them credit for. As long as you balance them when charging them and you don't put them in a vehicle that demands to much from them you'll be fine. I've owned NUMEROUS packs and never had an issue.
Old 10-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #192
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickRummy View Post
I'm running this battery and my run time is insane. I have to be getting an hour or so at least.

It's a pretty big pack

Pack Size: 143 x 49 x 24mm

The puller motors are rated for up to 40A so you should probably get a pack capable of at least 80A.

This pack would give you at least half hour run time most likely and is a bit smaller

Pack Size: 137 x 43 x 22mm

As for a charger. I swear by Hyperion chargers. I have the 610 I got from Holmes Hobbies and love it. Lipos are a lot safer than everyone gives them credit for. As long as you balance them when charging them and you don't put them in a vehicle that demands to much from them you'll be fine. I've owned NUMEROUS packs and never had an issue.

Thanks for the insight. One thing that I am concerned with is will the dual FXR handle this battery and the motors. The stats on HH website said that there is a 12t limit on the motor for the ESC. Would this apply to the puller motor? I thought that I read some where that the pullers are rated different.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:30 PM   #193
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserkb View Post
Thanks for the insight. One thing that I am concerned with is will the dual FXR handle this battery and the motors. The stats on HH website said that there is a 12t limit on the motor for the ESC. Would this apply to the puller motor? I thought that I read some where that the pullers are rated different.

Can anyone clear this up for me?

Thanks!
Regarding batteries:

A safer and cheaper alternative to Lipo's are the A123's (LiFe). They can be charged at higher amps, economical with a higher count of recharge, and they do not bloat even if you use batteries to full. You probably can do a custom pack to fit, will be sweet and if you'll upgrade to a new charger, choose one that does Lipo and LiFe as well!

FYI, Here is a downloadable PDF on, "How to configure/assemble, a LiFe Battery Pack":
http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/a123/pac...23packassy.pdf

Regarding HH Motors, i've tried a 3S 45C/90C (101A Cont/202A Burst.) with an FXR + HH Puller on a 2.2, without issues. For the size and weight of your rig, and plans for 2 pullers, have you thought of using a Mamba Monster? This will also give you an option to do a single 1/8 Brushless, as well.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #194
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Regarding HH Motors, i've tried a 3S 45C/90C (101A Cont/202A Burst.) with an FXR + HH Puller on a 2.2, without issues. For the size and weight of your rig, and plans for 2 pullers, have you thought of using a Mamba Monster? This will also give you an option to do a single 1/8 Brushless, as well.

I am going to be using 2 ESC's in this rig with a 6 channel stick radio. I want the function to run each one independently from the other. Two mamba monsters is way over the total budget for the electronics of this. It would be nice though.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:38 PM   #195
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserkb View Post
I am going to be using 2 ESC's in this rig with a 6 channel stick radio. I want the function to run each one independently from the other. Two mamba monsters is way over the total budget for the electronics of this. It would be nice though.
My bad, did not realize that your custom transmission is Cutting Edge Design! 2 independent transmission tastefully configured "sixty-nine" one for the front, the other for the rear!

Wow this tranny will allow a variety of setting for a front or rear dig with the 2-ESC set-up on a Shaft. If this got a built-in planetary gear reduction this is going to be Totally AWESOME!

Last edited by Siggy; 10-15-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-17-2009, 08:10 PM   #196
No idea what I'm doing

Quote:
"sixty-nine" one for the front, the other for the rear!
Now there's a name if I ever heard one

C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 08:54 PM   #197
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
Now there's a name if I ever heard one

OK I guess I will have to figure out how to change the title of this thread!!!!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 02:17 PM   #198
Rock Crawler

Default update!

Well I think that I have keep this under-wraps for long enough.

I have been working with a fellow RCC member ( who is staying underground until he gets a blue star ) on this for quite some time. This has evolved over the past few months now and is at long last ready for it's close up!

Here you go!

This set up is a dual motor independent shaft trans. Each unit is bolted together and allows for independent use of either the front or rear shafts; with an individual motor running each shaft.

The rails on the top are for the electronics tray and the seat to attach to. I will most likely use an elevated tray above the electronics to hold the battery ( yet to be determined ) on. It will then be covered up with an internal right hand dash panel similar to the 1.1.

It is currently in transit to me so I will be able to get some additional photos once it arrives. I guess I will have to get off my butt and work on this again!

In this last picture you can see the sense of humor that my partner had in this! To bad it will most likely be covered up.

Read signature below!!!!!
Old 10-18-2009, 02:30 PM   #199
Rock Stacker

damn that thing is a monster...if you had a little one you could build them a seat and they could ride in that
derekshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM   #200
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekshep View Post
damn that thing is a monster...if you had a little one you could build them a seat and they could ride in that

Should be strong enough for the older one's to ride on top!!