Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Losi Micro-Rock Crawler

Notices

Thread: 2014: past, present, future.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default 2014: past, present, future.

So here we are at the end of the year, and I feel it's time for some reflection. I have been extra busy at work this season. And I thought since Christmas is now over I could take some time to look back upon my past builds, show my current ones, and give a peek at some of my future builds. it was just over a year ago that I got into RC's. I was looking at videos on YouTube when I came across a video of a Trail Trekker. Well, the rest is history. I bought my first trail Trail Trekker. I then quickly started experimenting with scale bodies. The first two were 1:24/1:25 Toyota bodies. A Hilux, and a Hiace delivery van I did up as a zombie response vehicle. They were fun for awhile!
Attached Images

R.Billy Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-27-2014, 11:26 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 2014: past, present, future.

Then I found the 1:20 scale bodies. After that it was on! The first 1:20 Lindburg I bought was a Baywatch Toyota, naturally. If you can't tell by now, I'm a little bit of a Toyota fan. I ended up going full scaler with that one. That was my first real build. I now call her Ol' Blue! Here's a link to the build thread:

R.Billy Rob's first build. (Blue Toyota)
Attached Images

Old 12-27-2014, 11:38 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

After Ol' Blue, I went a different route. I got a Losi Micro-T for cheap, as well as a Lindburg California Highway Patrol Camaro kit. I threw that one together pretty quick. It started out as a hardtop, but after a little incident chasing my then 3 year old around the house, she lost her top. Now she's a convertible, and we're a little more careful. Not much, I still use it to chase him around!
Attached Images

Last edited by R.Billy Rob; 12-28-2014 at 12:31 AM.
Old 12-27-2014, 11:55 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

For my third build I went for a bit more of a challenge for myself. I decided on a Lindburg GMC Sonoma Baja kit. I went for a highly modified bobbed, cut, doved, rear-stear Truggy. Big Red was a definite problem child all-throughout the build, and still proves to be one. I've since taken out the rear-stear, because I just couldn't stand the Redcat ESC. on my last outing with her, I broke the hinges off of the hood, and busted out the windshield! Now it's only held on by the wipers! Anyway, if you want more, here's her thread:

1/20 4ws S-10 truggy (Flat-bottomed girl)
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2014, 12:08 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Currently I now have 3 builds going. it seemed like a lot to take on at first, but I find I like having multiple builds going. It's nice, because when I lose motivation on one build, I can usually find it in another. The first current build that I started was a Class-5 Baja Bug. that one is almost done! I just need to bend some tube, throw some paint at it, wire it up, and call her done! if you want more info, here you go:

1:20 Scale Class 5 Baja Bug
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2014, 12:14 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

The second one I have going is a Lindburg 1/20 Nissan king-cab that I'm turning into a Mega-Truck mud slinger! this is a fun little build that is coming along nicely.

The mud season is coming, time to get ready! (Nissan 1/20)
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2014, 12:19 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

For the third build, I decided to recreate my first Toyota build, but with a few twists to come! So that pretty much brings us up to date for the year. I'll keep posting updates on future projects, so everyone can get a sneak peek into next year!

Toyota: Round Two
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2014, 01:31 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

For the future I have several projects lined up! For most, I have a good idea of where I want to go with them. I have this habit of buying parts and kits, so I have lots to play with for mock-ups. That way I can see different ways to go for my builds before I settle on which direction I want to go. The first one I would like to share would be another Mud-Truck. It's a Lindburg 1/20 Chevy Blazer. I already have the tires for this one
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2014, 02:19 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

Up next I have a 1/20 Jeep Cherokee. For this one I plan to build another 2-wheel drive Baja racer. I have a bunch of extra parts for a Micro-T, and another rear axle. This one will definitely be receiving lots of body work!
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #10
Rock Crawler

Then I also have this 1/20 S-10 kit that I have yet to decide what to do with. I don't know wether I want to go trail rig, truggy, mud truck, or maybe even a lowered mini truck? I just haven't found my inspiration on this one yet, but it will come.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2014, 10:47 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

I also have a couple of 1/20 bodies I got from MGCrawler! The man is brilliant when it comes to this hobby! The stuff he makes is amazing! The first of the two bodies is a Willys pickup. I wanted to go a different route than some of the other Willys that have been built on here. I've decided to keep her 4wd, but use micro rally tires going for a rat rod/hot rod type build. This one will be more of a dirt track racer/hardwood floor drifter! I had Fungi custom make me some rims for this one. I plan to go for a military paint job, calling her "Sgt. D."
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
Rock Crawler

The other body is another Hilux. Its a rare kit that MGCrawler re-molded. It's the same style body as on the Trail Finder2. Most people refer to this body style as a first-gen. Hilux, but technically it's a third-generation. And before the Hilux was the Stout, but that's another story. For this build I've already decided to go for another trail rig. I have some wagon wheels I also got from MG, and I think they look real good with just stock Trekker tires under this thing. As for a paint job, I plan to recreate the paint job I did on the first Hilux I built. It's in the first post.
Attached Images

Old 12-28-2014, 11:15 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

And then that brings me to my big project. This one I don't plan on being a quick and easy project. It's a 1/20 scale Lindburg Peterbilt kit. I really don't want to do this one up stock, so the ideas have been flying around my head like crazy! I want to do some custom body work to make her look more like a show truck. I also have been toying with some ideas on how to raise and lower the suspension like airbags. As for axles, depending on funds, I'll either go with redcat axles, or a set of Sam's CNC aluminum axles. I have also toyed with the idea of putting a Bluetooth speaker in this one so I can have some tunes! Like I said, this will be a very involved project, and I don't plan to have it finished anytime soon. I'll take my time with this one! I wanted to show you a little size comparison, so I pictured this one with a stock Trekker tire, a stock Peterbilt tire, and a Miclaw. The Peterbilt tires are right in between the others in size. This is the thread that has inspired me to do this build: Micro Pete A.K.A. Crawler Hauler
Attached Images

Last edited by R.Billy Rob; 12-28-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 12-28-2014, 12:47 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Super nice builds.like the Nissan just cuz a mega fan.amazing what coming around for the micros
1tuffmj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2014, 01:31 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Thats amazing, ty for sharing, its funny last night i was looking thru all my old builds, looking forward to the new year builds keep the updates coming.
MikeChino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Thanks guys! I just felt like putting everything in one place. It's kinda nice to see everything laid out, past projects, current ones, and future ones. I'm very thankful that I found this hobby. I haven't enjoyed anything this much since I started playing guitar! Well, that being said I thought I should add my new addition to this thread. Last night I got a new kit. It's a re-release of an old MPC kit. It's the 1/20 Highjacker ford van! I've Been wanting one of these vans for awhile now, but every time I go to buy one on eBay, the auction ends at over $80! But now that the kits been re-released, I can get one for half that. If it's a good kit, I might get another to make a lowered street van out of! as for this one, I already have an extra set of Miclaws! I can have my own little micro lunchbox. I know the box art says 1/25, but I've been convinced by the seller that it's a typo. The original kit was 1/20.
Attached Images

Last edited by R.Billy Rob; 12-29-2014 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-02-2015, 08:42 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

I got the Ford van kit in today, and it is awesome! This is one of the coolest kits I've seen yet. The accessories alone make it worth it. There's a shotgun, hunting rifle, bow and arrows, fishing pole, frying pan, coffee pot, sleeping bag, pillows, radio surveillance equipment, and even a pile of wood! there's so much here, they even threw in the kitchen sink! Literally! Mot to mention, the van itself is pretty cool. Here's a mockup with Miclaws, sitting on top of my Nissan frame. It looks good on MGCrawlers tractor tires too.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2015, 10:20 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I have owned several econoline vans and still own one for my daily driver. I have to get one of these ! Do you have any idea if it will match the stock wheelbase of a trail trekker ? Can't wait to see this build progress.
chopfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 10:29 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

Your a busy man Rob. Alot of cool projects and your styrene work is great. Really like the new van!! What was the wheelbase on the van? Is it 1/20 kit?
cjgotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:36 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

This kit is a 1/20 kit, it's big! The wheelbase is actually about 6 1/4", so no it won't fit a trekker frame. It will definitely need a custom frame! I'm really excited to start on this one, but I need to clear up some current projects first. I was stoked to find the guns in the kit, but the bow and arrows were an added bonus! I started shooting a bow when I was still in diapers! I was playing around with some different mock ups. I might have to get another one of these kits so I can make a street van version also!
Attached Images

Last edited by R.Billy Rob; 01-21-2015 at 11:18 PM.

2014: past, present, future. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
5th annual North Park Scale Adventure 2014 Nov 9th, 2014 JesterSpec Pennsylvania 14 12-24-2014 03:53 PM
2014/2015 WCRCC Scale Challenge Season Opener October 4th 2014 rcjunky3 California 3 08-21-2014 05:18 PM
2014 Crawling GTG's and (NON-2014 MIRCA) Event Discussion 95geo Michigan 5 02-23-2014 05:06 PM
Whats your favorite build on rcc past or present..... FRENCHBLUE72 Chit Chat 28 12-16-2010 10:14 PM