Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Losi Rock Rey

Notices

Thread: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2016, 07:21 AM   #521
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck

losi release of the alum links should be mid nov.

just get traxxas links.

I should be able to get your guys video of this thing racing again this upcoming Saturday in 4x4 sc class. truck looks great on a track. yall should try it some day.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2016, 01:04 AM   #522
RCC Addict

I haven't noticed much torque steer with this truck, not since I got the diffs tuned the way I want.
fyrstormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:00 PM   #523
Pebble Pounder

Ran first two packs through mine today at sct track and wow it has more motor than I was expecting! I've got it down to 6lb 2.9oz but I'm gonna have to add some lead in fuel cell so that number is going up. Overall I'm a happy Rey owner. I know its not an SCT truck and its not going to run the times that my SCT does but it's a great addition to the family. Set of wheels and Caliber 2.0's on the way!
Orange peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:19 PM   #524
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orange peel View Post
Ran first two packs through mine today at sct track and wow it has more motor than I was expecting! I've got it down to 6lb 2.9oz but I'm gonna have to add some lead in fuel cell so that number is going up. Overall I'm a happy Rey owner. I know its not an SCT truck and its not going to run the times that my SCT does but it's a great addition to the family. Set of wheels and Caliber 2.0's on the way!
Not sure what rtr weight is, but did you do some weight reduction? If so, how or what?
wrightcs77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2016, 06:38 PM   #525
Pebble Pounder

If its not needed its not on the truck is pretty much what I done. Weighed 6lb 10.4oz straight out of the box.
Orange peel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2016, 06:30 AM   #526
I wanna be Dave

a Baja rey can keep up with a scte 2.0 if you can drive it clean. I was holding 3rd place in the a main halfway until fenders where rubbing and I was stuffed into a tube and the marshall held me back 4 spots.
Old 10-31-2016, 01:48 PM   #527
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
a Baja rey can keep up with a scte 2.0 if you can drive it clean. I was holding 3rd place in the a main halfway until fenders where rubbing and I was stuffed into a tube and the marshall held me back 4 spots.

Classic, "the marshal" .......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TTDRIVER13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 02:56 PM   #528
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDRIVER13 View Post
Classic, "the marshal" .......

lol. he did. held me back 4 spots. instead of picking my truck up he coulda tapped it away from the tube.

its alright though. video will be up tonight. so you can see for yourself tomorrow.
Old 11-01-2016, 04:14 AM   #529
RCC Addict

Check out what I just got from Dlux Fab!

I sent this off to Erik a few weeks ago to see if he could find a way to install a larger inboard pinion bearing in it, and he did! It has a 5x13 bearing now instead of the stock 5x10 bearing. That should hold up much, much better.

Unfortunately he couldn't figure out how to enlarge the inboard pinion bearing slot in the front diff case, but it's the rear axle that really needs help, so I'm happy.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 03-29-2018 at 06:54 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 05:52 AM   #530
Rock Crawler

Finally got mine!

I hab been lusting after it since its release,but the steep price overhere in mainland Europe, an idiotic €549.- kept me from buying it.

That was, until Wheelspin in rhe UK had them for under £400.- incl. VAT. Given the plummeting £, I immediately ordered it.

Wow. It is rather big. Somehow I was expecting Slash-size, but the wheelbase is a bit longer.

I only have 2 5000mah packs through it, and found that the battery compartiment is a tad on the short side for hard-cases. I cannot say a lot about its durability yet, but its handling is amazing for a solid rear. I heard that it was, but it's different when experiencing it for oneself.
I ran it on really gnarly terrain, a mowed and seriously gauged and rutted (by the mower) field nearby. Okay, after a few minutes all mowed grass was collected around the drive shafts and on the body, but it kept on going, despite looking like Cousin 'It' :P

It is pretty fast on 2s. For now I do not see the need for 3s. I am still on the fence about the AVC. It kinda works, but it also interferes a bit on the wrong moments. After rolls it completely loses its way, and needs up to 10 seconds to regain its posture. That's a tad annoying tbh.
On-road its prone to rolling, but that's to be expected with the relatively grippy tires. Off-road its a dream! It sorta 'floats' over the rough stuff, unlike my Yeti, that has the nasty habit of kicking-up its rear, leading to squirrily behaviour.

Next thing will be scale-upgrades. An RPM 6-light lightbar is already assembled, now to find a way to get it on the roof without sticking-up too far. Bit of a problen because of all fancy ridges and bends on the roof. Rear lights will be a doozy, because Losi already molded-in a small extruded section at the back (did anyone notice that Losi éven incorporated a GPS-dome on the roof? They do take their scale credibility seriously..)

On a by-side : It seems that the Rey is not really popular. The amount of threads in diverse fora is pretty sparse. Odd. You'd think that, with the scale craze, it would be a runaway succes.
Oh, and something else : the thing réeks of Vaterra. Especially the flexi-bendi plastic, and its finish.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 05:57 AM   #531
RCC Addict

Get rid of the AVC receiver and use a standalone gyro instead. It responds much more simply and predictably, and doesn't prevent you from stomping the throttle when cornering -- a useful tactic to induce oversteer and prevent traction-rolling.

What's wrong with it being a Vaterra vehicle in spirit?
Old 11-01-2016, 07:02 AM   #532
I wanna be Dave

the only real vaterra part on it is the pins that hold the driveshaft on the axle and mid diff.

and as far as hardcase lipos, smc and rc king batteries fit well.
Old 11-01-2016, 08:44 AM   #533
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
lol. he did. held me back 4 spots. instead of picking my truck up he coulda tapped it away from the tube.

its alright though. video will be up tonight. so you can see for yourself tomorrow.

Riiiiiggghhtttt.... it's the marshals fault YOU got yourself on the tube..... we have a lot of the finger pointers at my local track too. It's always everyone else fault..

Old 11-01-2016, 09:05 AM   #534
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTDRIVER13 View Post
Riiiiiggghhtttt.... it's the marshals fault YOU got yourself on the tube..... we have a lot of the finger pointers at my local track too. It's always everyone else fault..

hahahaha. like I said. I aint mad bro. I had a good time.

and a lot of people were confused on what the fawk it was.
Old 11-01-2016, 09:17 AM   #535
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
hahahaha. like I said. I aint mad bro. I had a good time.

and a lot of people were confused on what the fawk it was.

Ohhh you mad bro...

Old 11-01-2016, 09:55 AM   #536
I wanna be Dave

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drPLUcuMA7k here is the video. its the black and burple truck
Old 11-01-2016, 03:12 PM   #537

Will Vanquish Method wheels fit with their 225 SLW's hubs on the Rey properly?
chs51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2016, 09:22 PM   #538
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chs51 View Post
Will Vanquish Method wheels fit with their 225 SLW's hubs on the Rey properly?
There is plenty of clearance for the rear wheels, but the front steering knuckles are very large and won't fit inside a 2.2" wheel. You'd need either a large offset or short-course beadlocks instead of crawler beadlocks. I decided to get short-course beadlocks; Pro-Line's ProTrac beadlock wheels fit perfectly.

If you want to use SLW wheels, you'll need the flat adaptors for Losi vehicles, not the stepped adaptors for Axial vehicles. Alternately you'll need a stack of washers sanded-down to a very precise height to fill-in the stepped portion of the Axial-compatible adaptors.

Last edited by fyrstormer; 11-01-2016 at 09:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2016, 10:54 PM   #539
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrstormer View Post
Get rid of the AVC receiver and use a standalone gyro instead. It responds much more simply and predictably, and doesn't prevent you from stomping the throttle when cornering -- a useful tactic to induce oversteer and prevent traction-rolling.

What's wrong with it being a Vaterra vehicle in spirit?

Hrmpf. Shouldn't have used "reeks". I too late realized that's a negative thing in english. it's just that it feels very Vaterra-like afa scale details and the way things are engineered go.

On AVC: it dòes work when trying to drive more subtle, long, swooping corners on slippery ground go like on rails, but I like my steering to be more direct. My Amewi Hammerhead had a separate gyro. It was my first car with a full-blown gyro. Ugh! I ripped that out after 1 run. 30+ years of RC cars have made my driving, I dunno, "instinctual" I guess, and AVC or Gyro interferes with that in no uncertain way.

All in all, I am no fan of steering "helpers". I just dialed it back to minimal on the Rey, and that's acceptable to me.
Jay-Em is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 03:15 AM   #540
RCC Addict

I generally don't use gyros on my 4WD vehicles, but I decided to use one on my Baja Rey because it does experience noticeable torque steer when accelerating hard. The rest of the time, I don't really need the gyro on the Baja Rey.

Also, cheap gyros and slow servos do not work well together. I have a premium Futaba gyro and a fast Hitec coreless servo, and they work together in a way that is completely transparent to me -- I don't notice the gyro's intervention at all.

Losi Baja Rey 1/10th 4WD RTR desert truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thunder Tiger Jackal 1/10th 4wd Desert Buggy RichMTB01 2.2 Scale Rigs 17 01-19-2016 12:36 AM
Vaterra 1/10 Twin Hammers DT 1.9 4WD Desert Truck RTR spectre Vaterra Twin Hammers 0 10-01-2015 07:54 AM
HPI Mini Trophy 1/12 Scale 4WD Desert Truck constantmotion Non Crawler RC's 31 08-01-2010 09:56 PM