Notices

Thread: SMT Build Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2016, 06:08 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: SMT Build Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
Nice job dying that chassis, I woulda never thought it would work so good on the green plastic.
Thanks. I'm really happy with the end result. I had to let it sit in the dye for quite a while though. Much longer than the 15 minutes a lot of tutorials stated.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-2016, 06:09 AM   #22
Quarry Creeper

Ready to rip!

Old 08-16-2016, 06:51 AM   #23
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
Ready to rip!

You'll be happy with that VXL... I have one in mine, and its plenty for a basher. I threw a 15T pinion on as well.

The stock suspension setup works quite nice actually with brushless speed. Stays pretty plated. Be interested in hearing your experience as well.

Awesome looking T-Maxx.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2016, 06:58 AM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Thanks!

I tried to get it to look as close to the 1:1 version as possible. I've gotten some pretty ridiculous messages through facebook about it. People messaging me and getting on my case for "disrespecting Axial", "being a disgrace to true RC enthusiasts", and "promoting that mass produced garbage". I don't think everyone realizes that there was a 1:1 version and the body I'm running wasn't even shipped on the toy versions.

Anyway, I usually just run the brushed Traxxas 12T motors in my bashing rigs. The only brushless experience I've had were when I was racing indoor short course, and that was limited to 17.5T. I used Novak back then and remember thinking it wasn't really that big a step up from the stock brushed version. I'm hoping for a surprise with this setup.

I'll be running a 16T pinion in mine with the stock spur. What would you guess your top speed is?
Old 08-16-2016, 07:08 AM   #25
RCC Addict

Quote:
Thanks!

I tried to get it to look as close to the 1:1 version as possible. I've gotten some pretty ridiculous messages through facebook about it. People messaging me and getting on my case for "disrespecting Axial", "being a disgrace to true RC enthusiasts", and "promoting that mass produced garbage". I don't think everyone realizes that there was a 1:1 version and the body I'm running wasn't even shipped on the toy versions.

Anyway, I usually just run the brushed Traxxas 12T motors in my bashing rigs. The only brushless experience I've had were when I was racing indoor short course, and that was limited to 17.5T. I used Novak back then and remember thinking it wasn't really that big a step up from the stock brushed version. I'm hoping for a surprise with this setup.

I'll be running a 16T pinion in mine with the stock spur. What would you guess your top speed is?
Those responses are what kinda turned me off from rc a year ago. Some people take tiny trucks waaaay to serious. Those kids need to get some perspective on life..

If you are running 3s on the VXL, with the 16T, I'm guessing you will get 30mph (ish). I figure my speed is in the high 20's with the 15T... Its still a solid axle, so I really don't want a crazy speed demon, as it wont handle as well as an independent suspension rig. But, it does handle pretty good. Way better then my Bomber.

Run that thing!
Old 08-17-2016, 06:23 AM   #26
Quarry Creeper

Had the first run last night. The truck handled speed well, but slowing down is tricky. I think a front sway bar is a must. I actually think a 3S Lipo with a brushless system might be a little too much for this truck, at least with the stock radio. It's very touchy at times. One thing I noticed was that out of the box, the tires rubbed the lower suspension links at full turn. I had to dial them back a bit.

After about 15 minutes, the spur gear went :( Any recommendations on a steel replacement?

Last edited by chino; 08-17-2016 at 06:40 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 06:37 AM   #27
RCC Addict

My spur went too. But since I replaced the spur and threw the plastic bushing away (why ship it with those?!) and replaced with a bearing, its been trouble-free for a dozen packs.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:11 AM   #28
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
My spur went too. But since I replaced the spur and threw the plastic bushing away (why ship it with those?!) and replaced with a bearing, its been trouble-free for a dozen packs.
Did you upgrade to a steel spur, or are you just using a replacement plastic spur with a bearing? What bearing?
Old 08-17-2016, 07:39 AM   #29
RCC Addict

Quote:
Did you upgrade to a steel spur, or are you just using a replacement plastic spur with a bearing? What bearing?
Yes, replaced plastic spur with this size bearing: 5x11x4. They are are very common if you have a replacement bearing kit for wraiths, yetis, bombers...

Its been holding up great.

I am from the thought that I would rather replace a $4 spur then tearing apart a transmission.

The cool thing about the SMT10, you don't even need to drop the skid to change spur and pinion. There is enough room under there to remove the dust cover (only using 2 screws instead of 3 - as 1 is under lip of skid) and have access to the entire front plate! Pretty slick.
Old 08-17-2016, 08:01 AM   #30
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Yes, replaced plastic spur with this size bearing: 5x11x4. They are are very common if you have a replacement bearing kit for wraiths, yetis, bombers...

Its been holding up great.

I am from the thought that I would rather replace a $4 spur then tearing apart a transmission.

The cool thing about the SMT10, you don't even need to drop the skid to change spur and pinion. There is enough room under there to remove the dust cover (only using 2 screws instead of 3 - as 1 is under lip of skid) and have access to the entire front plate! Pretty slick.

Haha. I learned that last night. I had to do that surgery twice in an hour period. The first time was because I forgot to tighten the setscrew on the pinion. The truck drove about 4 feet before it stopped moving.

I have a steel spur gear and bearing on the way.

Last edited by chino; 08-17-2016 at 08:06 AM.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:36 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Sorry people are so dumb, it's your truck, so what you want to it!

I have always ran a bearing with plastic Spurs and been ok. In fact I don't really like the steel spur in my yeti, it sounds horrid.

The front sway helps a LOT, like it acts totally different now
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 10:52 AM   #32
I wanna be Dave

that's what a tmaxx should have been in the first place nice truck man.
CM9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2016, 11:44 AM   #33
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM9000 View Post
that's what a tmaxx should have been in the first place nice truck man.

Thanks!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 AM   #34
RCC Addict

I'd just run that on 2s with the VXL system, more than enough speed I'm sure. I put a Orion 15t motor in mine and it's waaaaaay better! Ran mine at a skate park yesterday, had a blast with it.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2016, 07:04 AM   #35
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post

The front sway helps a LOT, like it acts totally different now
This.

I just added a front sway last night, and the truck handles on rails now. Made a huge improvement with brushless speed.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:14 AM   #36
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
This.

I just added a front sway last night, and the truck handles on rails now. Made a huge improvement with brushless speed.
Did you order the front sway bar separately? I wish axial included that in once the parts bags they put in the box. I've looked around online for them and it looks like you have to order two different sets of parts. One being the bars themselves. Are you using the soft, medium, or hard bars?
Old 08-18-2016, 07:15 AM   #37
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
I'd just run that on 2s with the VXL system, more than enough speed I'm sure. I put a Orion 15t motor in mine and it's waaaaaay better! Ran mine at a skate park yesterday, had a blast with it.
I'm going to try it with the 2S once my new spur gear arrives.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:48 AM   #38
RCC Addict

Quote:
Did you order the front sway bar separately? I wish axial included that in once the parts bags they put in the box. I've looked around online for them and it looks like you have to order two different sets of parts. One being the bars themselves. Are you using the soft, medium, or hard bars?
I had a stock yeti one in my parts bin after I upgraded. The harnesses are included in the Digger parts bad (they are green though... have to get out the sharpie!).
Old 08-18-2016, 08:59 AM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I had a stock yeti one in my parts bin after I upgraded. The harnesses are included in the Digger parts bad (they are green though... have to get out the sharpie!).
If you're talking about the two little plastic pieces that bolt to the chassis, I dyed those in the event I were to ever use them. Are those the things you're talking about?
Old 08-22-2016, 07:47 AM   #40
Quarry Creeper

I'm learning very quickly just how not brushless ready this truck is. I'm honestly not even driving it hard. I've yet to launch the truck from a dead stop, and any full throttle grabs are when the truck is already moving pretty quickly

Transmission lasted about 6 minutes after I installed the steel spur gear.

I don't know the name of that big gear at the bottom of the transmission, but all three of the screws that sandwich that gear came loose and had a field day inside the case (see the groove in the one on the right).

I have steel transmission gears arriving today, and I can only assume that the diffs are the next thing to fail. Any recommendations?

Last edited by chino; 08-22-2016 at 07:51 AM.

SMT Build Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XSRCdesign SMT-10 XSRCdesign Mega/Monster Trucks 100 05-21-2022 06:43 PM
Tamiya CC-01 Landfreeder Build Thread (Build Complete) TheBlueKnight Tamiya XC/CC01 29 11-24-2014 11:21 AM
Dual Dingo build thread-My first build thread juswin24 Axial SCX-10 205 09-19-2013 12:42 PM
Swezy207's 2.2 scaler build! (first build thread) swezy207 2.2 Scale Rigs 43 09-19-2011 07:01 PM
not really a build thread more of a upgrade thread... dragit Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 07-02-2009 10:11 PM