Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Miscellaneous > Mega/Monster Trucks

Notices

Thread: SMT Build Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2016, 07:51 AM   #41
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: SMT Build Thread

I didn't even bother running those gears. Through hot racing steel gears in.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2016, 08:07 AM   #42
RCC Addict

Yes,
I stripped my idler (middle trans gear) the first day. Luckily I had a steel RR one in the tool box. That and the bearing in the spur, its been holing up fine for a couple weeks.

That said, It's adult driven... I'm not stupid when the truck is in a bind.. Or slam it into reverse. I have my brakes set up pretty soft on my radio, so its slows slowly.

Truck looks awesome by the way.
tedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:37 AM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedo View Post
Yes,
I stripped my idler (middle trans gear) the first day. Luckily I had a steel RR one in the tool box. That and the bearing in the spur, its been holing up fine for a couple weeks.

That said, It's adult driven... I'm not stupid when the truck is in a bind.. Or slam it into reverse. I have my brakes set up pretty soft on my radio, so its slows slowly.

Truck looks awesome by the way.
Thanks.

I've been doing RC the better part of 15 years now, and this is my first brushless system in a basher. I ran 17.5T brushless Novak systems in my short course vehicles when I used to race indoor, but that's the extent of my brushless experience. Even my crawlers and scalers all still use brushed motors.

I've never had a motor and ESC this powerful in a truck before. I think I underestimated how powerful the Velineon system actually is. I'm actually babying this truck more than any I've had prior. I'm using the stock radio and I'm debating turning the reverse function on the ESC off as I've accidentally hit reverse twice at speed already.
chino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSRCdesign View Post
I didn't even bother running those gears. Through hot racing steel gears in.
Are your diffs holding up?
Old 08-22-2016, 08:39 AM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by chino View Post
Are you're diffs holding up?

I replaced the ring an pinions, but the spiders are yes. At this point the center driveshafts are the weak link.
XSRCdesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 06:10 AM   #46
Quarry Creeper

I got out last night and drove the truck for about 25 minutes with the new steel spur and steel gears in the transmission. What an improvement! That tranny must have been slipping since the get go (or my slipper was too loose) because the power was on instant demand last night.

I still haven't really hammered down on the throttle from a dead stop, but even at 10 mph or so, it has no problem getting on it's lid from too much of it. The truck is actually a delight to drive as long as you have throttle control. It handles incredibly well for a solid axle rig, and it gets itself out of hairy situations pretty easily. There were a lot of hits last night that I thought were going to break something for sure, and the truck just seemed to find the flex and suspension it needed to keep all four tires down.I'm very impressed with this machine. I haven't had this much fun driving a new vehicle in a long time. It feels so fresh.

My girlfriend and I have Friday off for a camping trip that we decided not to take. I recruited her as camera lady for the morning at a local park. Hopefully I can have a cool little video up by Friday evening.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #47
Quarry Creeper

It's been a while since I've updated this thread. I've made lots of changes.

This was easily the most complicated body I've ever done. Never even masked before this attempt. I usually just paint solid colors. I think it came out pretty good with the exception of some goofs here and there.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:29 PM   #48
I wanna be Dave

Tape or liquid mask ?
Great job

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 05:55 PM   #49
I wanna be Dave

How does that thing run with a VXL and 3s? My stretched Wheely King with a similar combo (23/93 gearing, IIRC) and the Proline 2.6" Destroyer/Brawler combo is downright violent, even from a roll!
BJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:54 AM   #50
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
Tape or liquid mask ?
Great job

Hang up and Drive
Thanks! I used Tamiya masking paper.

TowerHobbies.com | Tamiya Masking Sticker Sheet (Plain Type) (5)
Old 01-04-2017, 05:56 AM   #51
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJoe View Post
How does that thing run with a VXL and 3s? My stretched Wheely King with a similar combo (23/93 gearing, IIRC) and the Proline 2.6" Destroyer/Brawler combo is downright violent, even from a roll!
I haven't run it yet with the larger tires, so I can't speak to those, but with the stock tires equipped it went like hell.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:26 AM   #52
Rock Stacker

That bar though.....
snowman13 is offline   Reply With Quote

SMT Build Thread - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
XSRCdesign SMT-10 XSRCdesign Mega/Monster Trucks 100 05-21-2022 06:43 PM
Tamiya CC-01 Landfreeder Build Thread (Build Complete) TheBlueKnight Tamiya XC/CC01 29 11-24-2014 11:21 AM
Dual Dingo build thread-My first build thread juswin24 Axial SCX-10 205 09-19-2013 12:42 PM
Swezy207's 2.2 scaler build! (first build thread) swezy207 2.2 Scale Rigs 43 09-19-2011 07:01 PM
not really a build thread more of a upgrade thread... dragit Axial AX-10 Scorpion 16 07-02-2009 10:11 PM