Notices

Thread: Kit cost vs. RTR cost...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #21
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Kit cost vs. RTR cost...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post
The motor is absolute low budget for sure, but I've only had two failures so far. One was completely my fault. The other was the original motor when I built my SCX10 years ago and it lasted a couple of years without issue. You can't ask or expect more than getting a couple of years out of a $10 motor.

The ESC is the best brushed, budget crawling ESC out there. Nobody can touch it for the price. The radio is about the best budget system out there. I don't like the feel of FlySkys and their receivers seem to tend to go bad.
Yes on the motor.

I like the feel of Flysky radios, no they are not expensive feeling, but they work well and have good ergonomics. Between myself and several friends, none of us has had any problems with rx or tx going bad and we all have several of them.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2015, 01:45 PM   #22
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

The ESC is the best brushed, budget crawling ESC out there
Is it adjustable at all?
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 02:08 PM   #23
I wanna be Dave

Yes, adjustable exactly like the Ascender RTR ESC, with two little jumpers.

HOBBYWING North America — QUICRUN 16 Brushed ESC
Old 12-18-2015, 03:06 PM   #24
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Yes, adjustable exactly like the Ascender RTR ESC, with two little jumpers.

HOBBYWING North America — QUICRUN 16 Brushed ESC
I just took a look...it's not adjustable. Can't adjust throttle curve, initial brake or drag brake.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:16 PM   #25
I wanna be Dave

Oh, no not like that, it just has the two jumpers...it's $20...

Running Modes: Forward/Reverse/Brake, Forward/Brake, Forward/Reverse

Gotta say my RTR ESC's are very similar and have been bullet-proof and great crawling/trailing. The only short-coming is on steep descent with minimal throttle just to keep wheels rolling, then let off to no throttle is a big jerk/lurch which can cause roll overs.
Old 12-22-2015, 01:34 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Just to make it more visible, here's a list of what's required to get your very first rig rolling:
(Estimated minimum price of new components in parenthesis.)

RTR
  • The rig itself.
  • Depending on make and model, one or more of the following:
    • Batteries for the transmitter. ($3)
    • Battery charger, with suitable battery connector. ($20)
    • Battery for the rig, with suitable connector. ($10)
    • Possibly some tool you don't own before.

Kit
  • The Kit.
  • Radio (transmitter and receiver) ($25)
  • Steering servo ($20)
  • ESC, with suitable battery connector. ($40)
  • Motor ($10)
  • Pinion, if not provided with the kit. ($5)
  • Batteries for radio and rig. ($15)
  • BEC, if strong servo or higher voltage battery. ($5)
  • Paint for the body. (One can of spray paint is the bare minimum unless the body is pre-painted. Multiple colours, an air brush and compressor is the long term option.) ($10)
  • Some new tools and soldering job equipment. (A few special tool might be provided with the kit.)
The "extras" when buying a kit, including a $5 BEC but excluding tools, come to a minimum of about $150 plus shipping if buying all new.

If the price difference between kit and RTR of the same rig is $40 the difference in starting expenses is thus roughly $100 and probably more, with the kit requiring more initial spendings.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 05:51 AM   #27
I wanna be Dave

Default Kit cost vs. RTR cost...

Since the OP was looking at the Spawn kit vs RTR, the comparison needs to consider some other important details. The kit comes with aluminum lower links (vs weak plastic on the RTR) and much better shocks (aluminum-bodied Icons vs balky plastic shocks). Both of those are on most people's immediate upgrade list for Wraith RTRs for good reason. And the RTR stock servo (with only 151 oz) and 20T motor are both quite underpowered for a wide-axled 2.2, so most people upgrade those quickly on their RTRs. That really leaves only the radio and ESC as the parts you'd buy with the kit that you wouldn't necessarily buy or replace quickly (or immediately) with the RTR. And those are offset at least in part by the shocks and links that you'd either buy immediately or soon afterward with the RTR.

That's why I think the answer isn't cut and dry, even for a newbie on a budget. There are pros and cons to each, which is why it's great even for newbies to have the choice so they can choose the one that best suits their needs, preferences, and budget.
new2rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 10:16 AM   #28
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
Just to make it more visible, here's a list of what's required to get your very first rig rolling:
(Estimated minimum price of new components in parenthesis.)

RTR
  • The rig itself.
  • Depending on make and model, one or more of the following:
    • Batteries for the transmitter. ($3)
    • Battery for the rig, with suitable connector. ($10)
    • Possibly some tool you don't own before.

Kit
  • The Kit.
  • Radio (transmitter and receiver) ($25)
  • Steering servo ($20)
  • ESC, with suitable battery connector. ($40)
  • Motor ($10)
  • Pinion, if not provided with the kit. ($5)
  • Batteries for radio and rig. ($15)
  • BEC, if strong servo or higher voltage battery. ($5)
  • Paint for the body. (One can of spray paint is the bare minimum unless the body is pre-painted. Multiple colours, an air brush and compressor is the long term option.) ($10)
  • Some new tools and soldering job equipment. (A few special tool might be provided with the kit.)
The "extras" when buying a kit, including a $5 BEC but excluding tools, come to a minimum of about $150 plus shipping if buying all new.

If the price difference between kit and RTR of the same rig is $40 the difference in starting expenses is thus roughly $100 and probably more, with the kit requiring more initial spendings.
Yes, but need to spend a bit more imo. Good charger at least $50, battery (lipo or good nimh) $30 each, transmitter/receiver $50, servo at least $30 (Solar D772), BEC (Castle) $20, tools for hex/nut drivers set $50, but as OlleP stated you can do with less, but maybe disappointed. Research, reading and asking questions before buying is good. There are many deals to be had if you look around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2rocks View Post
Since the OP was looking at the Spawn kit vs RTR, the comparison needs to consider some other important details. The kit comes with aluminum lower links (vs weak plastic on the RTR) and much better shocks (aluminum-bodied Icons vs balky plastic shocks). Both of those are on most people's immediate upgrade list for Wraith RTRs for good reason. And the RTR stock servo (with only 151 oz) and 20T motor are both quite underpowered for a wide-axled 2.2, so most people upgrade those quickly on their RTRs. That really leaves only the radio and ESC as the parts you'd buy with the kit that you wouldn't necessarily buy or replace quickly (or immediately) with the RTR. And those are offset at least in part by the shocks and links that you'd either buy immediately or soon afterward with the RTR.

That's why I think the answer isn't cut and dry, even for a newbie on a budget. There are pros and cons to each, which is why it's great even for newbies to have the choice so they can choose the one that best suits their needs, preferences, and budget.
X2
Old 12-22-2015, 01:12 PM   #29
Rock Crawler

Thanks for all the responses. I am going to go with an RTR after all. Once you add up all the parts needed the initial investment becomes cost prohibitive for me. Also I don't like buying cheap parts just for the sake of it running. Would rather upgrade slow and with quality stuff. I am also a bit overwhelmed at the amount of part options so this also buys me time to get up to speed.
Drm31078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 02:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
I just took a look...it's not adjustable. Can't adjust throttle curve, initial brake or drag brake.
Yes, it is adjustable for battery type and operation mode. Obviously you can't adjust throttle curves, etc. What do you expect for $20?

But for $20 it's the best ESC out there. It's waterproof and extremely reliable.
JatoTheRipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 04:40 PM   #31
RCC Addict

I always go with a kit version, until they become discontinued, then RTRs are the only option
ussprinceton2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 09:10 PM   #32
waw
Quarry Creeper

well.. interesting thread and answers are given here..
for my, I bought mysel the RTR version of SCX10 then sell the stuff I don't need (Tx + Rx + wheels + etc) replace it with a NOT premium priced parts.. but a local custom, coz the price is my prime factor
waw is offline   Reply With Quote

Kit cost vs. RTR cost... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wraith kit cost lamar2626 Axial Wraith 6 11-09-2011 05:04 PM
Overall Cost Getrag Newbie General 23 04-13-2011 04:15 AM
Cost Effectiveness - Kit vs Piece Together rctoyguy Newbie General 23 06-10-2008 09:50 PM
OK, so who has spent more on upgrades than the original kit cost? BigSki Axial AX-10 Scorpion 61 05-29-2008 09:47 PM