Axial Yeti 21 28.77%
Losi Rock Rey 45 61.64%
Equal Rock Racers 7 9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Yeti vs Rock Rey

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2017, 11:38 PM   #21

Default Re: Yeti vs Rock Rey

The Baja Rey is the same chassis... it's not that big of a stretch. We all already know aftermarket parts will always favor the Yeti. This—obviously—is a time for speculation, buzz. I've already changed my mind back to the Yeti: parts variety/availability, parts compatibility with my other rock racers, and a flexible plastic chassis vs a stiff aluminum chassis. Just my opinion formed from my speculations, though. Soon the Rock Rey vs Yeti debate will be offering us a chance to form speculations from strangers' opinions about their actual experiences.
Rybroca is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2017, 11:37 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rybroca View Post
Soon the Rock Rey vs Yeti debate will be offering us a chance to form speculations from strangers' opinions about their actual experiences.

that's the secret sauce.
hozzerr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2017, 01:18 AM   #23

I went through this same predicament and the Yeti won. I've had it for a couple weeks now and don't regret it one bit. It's an awesome setup. Parts for it are abundant which makes it a bit expensive but that's some of the fun of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RiDET4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 08:50 PM   #24
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeti guy View Post
Personally, I drove my cousin's rock rey and after drove my yeti. I would chose yeti all the way handles better, just as powerful and just overall better.

Pics or it didn't happen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
xCoolHandLukex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:58 PM   #25

I'd choose the Losi because the Yeti is a bad design with poor execution.
JatoTheRipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 06:57 AM   #26
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JatoTheRipper View Post

In a few minds

Hang up and Drive
mikemcE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 07:48 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikemcE View Post
In a few minds
A few? Let's be real. There's way more than a few people that feel that way.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:53 AM   #28
RCC Addict

I have not bought an RC car in several years, but my next purchase will be the Losi.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:23 AM   #29
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
A few? Let's be real. There's way more than a few people that feel that way.

True, but how many fans does Yeti have ?
I hate that I had to double my cost to make it run dependably, and that it's a poor jumper. But in the correct terrain it is a fun beast.

If it was so bad I should be able to find a bunch used and cheap.... I can't and a ton gets sold

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-24-2017, 09:30 AM   #30

Quote:
I hate that I had to double my cost to make it run dependably, and that it's a poor jumper. But in the correct terrain it is a fun beast.

If it was so bad I should be able to find a bunch used and cheap.... I can't and a ton gets sold

Hang up and Drive
This...I'm starting my research for my next truck and I looked into F/S sections and ebay and CL...not too many Yetis are up for sale. I like the idea of the Rock Rey for it's overall size...but aftermarket will be minimal for a while until people get up videos and start using them. Which may take until the end of 2017 to get rolling. Thankfully the Baja Rey is already out and starts the support for Rock Rey.

For someone like me that wants a truck to do a little of everything "decent", I may like the truck. But for you guys that own a RC for EVERY type of driving...then I can see how it may "suck" and not really fit in, or that you can always name something that is better than the Yeti in _____ scenario.

Last edited by smitty2919; 01-24-2017 at 09:33 AM.
smitty2919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #31
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post
This...I'm starting my research for my next truck and I looked into F/S sections and ebay and CL...not too many Yetis are up for sale. I like the idea of the Rock Rey for it's overall size...but aftermarket will be minimal for a while until people get up videos and start using them. Which may take until the end of 2017 to get rolling. Thankfully the Baja Rey is already out and starts the support for Rock Rey.

For someone like me that wants a truck to do a little of everything "decent", I may like the truck. But for you guys that own a RC for EVERY type of driving...then I can see how it may "suck" and not really fit in, or that you can always name something that is better than the Yeti in _____ scenario.
I can guarantee you'll see a Yeti for sale here every week or two.
Sneetches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 09:57 AM   #32

Quote:

That's my point. In stock form they suck and hence you need to throw tons of money into them to make them anything worthwhile. You're backing up my claim that it's a poor design and poor execution. I'm not saying it's not fun. And I'm not saying it doesn't have a huge following. I'm just saying it has tons of flaws and needs lots of money thrown at it.

Before the SCORE craze cheap Yetis were available all the time. You will still find them if you look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty2919 View Post

The Rock Rey won't have the aftermarket following that Axial has, but it also won't need it. Losi builds tough stuff while Axial builds mostly plastic, budget vehicles and then offers a ton of upgrades.

Last edited by JatoTheRipper; 01-24-2017 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:04 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

The only way to make an exo/yeti front suspension into a bigger turd is to adapt it to a wraith using a bmrc kit.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:38 AM   #34
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The problem with this poll is that, in the real world, we are not limited to only these two options. The Rey is a better buggy/sct than the Yeti, but then there are better choices than the nose-heavy Rey in that category, such as the SCTE.

Although, if what you really want are those fancy disc brake thingies, the Rey is the winner in this poll. ;)
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 10:41 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
The problem with this poll is that, in the real world, we are not limited to only these two options. The Rey is a better buggy/sct than the Yeti, but then there are better choices than the nose-heavy Rey in that category, such as the SCTE.

Although, if what you really want are those fancy disc brake thingies, the Rey is the winner in this poll. ;)
The SCTE is not the same. That has IFS all the way around.

And FYI the Yeti is also nose heavy.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #36
I wanna be Dave

Default Yeti vs Rock Rey

Quote:
That's my point. In stock form they suck and hence you need to throw tons of money into them to make them anything worthwhile. You're backing up my claim that it's a poor design and poor execution. .

I haven't changed anything's specs, just durability. If you look at any of my other rigs, I do the same upgrades across the board, to bulletproof and improve performance . MIP and RobinsonRacing are on almost everything, along with a fair number of proline shocks and tires. I think design is great, materials choice sucks, and I don't want another bomber solid axle rig..... the yeti is no bomber. Those of us fans who have the right area to run, it's totally different than most trucks.

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-24-2017, 10:49 AM   #37
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITE-TRASH View Post
The only way to make an exo/yeti front suspension into a bigger turd is to adapt it to a wraith using a bmrc kit.

Or make it work by tuning ?

Hang up and Drive
Old 01-24-2017, 10:59 AM   #38
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Or make it work by tuning ?
Impossible using the required traxxas steering rack. Reverse ackerman (outside tire turns more than the inner tire) due to the rack being about 3/8" too far back and gratuitous bumpsteer caused by the steering rack being a different width than the a arm hinge.

It's a decent kit but it's as if they were too tired after designing the kit and realized they forgot the steering so the slapped the first thing they saw at the local hobby shop on it.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:24 PM   #39
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
The SCTE is not the same. That has IFS all the way around.
That is irrelevant; that losi's own SCTE has better handling, jumping, and speed potential than the rey is my only point here.

Now, if you are buying the rey for appearances, and you want the look of the solid rear axle and the fancy disc brake thingies, that is entirely subjective, and not really about which truck is "better".

and you are wrong, *this* car has IFS all the way around.

Quote:
And FYI the Yeti is also nose heavy.
Not an issue for a rock racer/crawler, and those that use it in that manner.
DavidH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidH View Post
That is irrelevant; that losi's own SCTE has better handling, jumping, and speed potential than the rey is my only point here.

Now, if you are buying the rey for appearances, and you want the look of the solid rear axle and the fancy disc brake thingies, that is entirely subjective, and not really about which truck is "better".

and you are wrong, *this* car has IFS all the way around.

Not an issue for a rock racer/crawler, and those that use it in that manner.

Did you see the thread title? This is a poll comparing the Yeti to Rock Rey, of which I include the Yeti SCORE and Baja Rey because they're pretty much the same thing with different bodies. This is an apples to apples comparison. Comparing an SCTE to any of these is an apples to oranges comparison.

Yeti vs Rock Rey - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Rock Rey 4WD Rock Racer Open for Pre-Order RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 01-04-2017 06:18 PM
Added section for Baja/Rock Rey Wes S. Comments, Suggestions, and Help 2 01-04-2017 09:28 AM
Losi baja rey snowman13 Vaterra Twin Hammers 3 05-12-2016 07:01 PM
Renegade Rock Runners @ Marina Del Rey, CA + 4 Wheel Steer YETI!!! 4x4Jay Videos! 2 02-13-2015 04:53 PM
Renegade Rock Runners @ Marina Del Rey, CA! January 31st 4x4Jay California 21 02-13-2015 03:51 PM