Default Re: Team [HOONIGAN]'s DRX(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURTLE View Post
Don't be a NOOB!
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 09:26 AM   #142
RCC Addict

Hope u had that bumper tethered to the chassis so it didn't fly into the stands.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
adamargue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:51 AM   #143
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post

Hope u had that bumper tethered to the chassis so it didn't fly into the stands.

in real rally they have no stands.

or maybe they do.

Last edited by foproy; 07-27-2012 at 11:53 AM.
foproy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:57 AM   #144
Gettin’ back on the horse

No stands, just crazy people trying to get as close to the cars as possible while they fly through the air.
TURTLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #145
Pebble Pounder

They kyosho demon kit is about 25 .00 cheaper but no one has it. Subaru people oh no

I'm an Evo guy. Here's mine let the battle begin. Lol
sanny632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #146
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

didnt ya know the Subaru is the Colorado state car
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:13 PM   #147
Pebble Pounder

Don't get me wrong I like subis and the Subaru factory is 50 miles from me on a nature preserve but I have have Mitsubishi's for awhile and 387 hp 370 ft lbs of torque doesn't hurt. cheaper to build mitsuibishi
Old 07-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #148
Rock Crawler

I saw that Demon body before. It doesn't look bad! One thing I'm curious about is that it looks bigger than the Fiesta and Impreza bodies in this picture. Is that just because it's on a stand? And the expected availability is around August for the VE's?

I like the rear too:

Hey Ty, do you think the WR8 will stand up to the DRX? I guess HPI might eventually have the upper hand with spare/option parts though. I'm really anxious about waiting for the WR8 since there aren't any official release dates yet. One thing I like about the DRX is that it's huge! I never thought about its dimensions before. Do you think its bigger size vs the WR8 will prove better for offroading/stability?
cbp27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 09:15 AM   #149

I really like that body too, a lot.

The debate for whether the WR8 or DRX is better is tough, even with both in hand I think it will be a hard call. It very well could come down to parts availability and a personal preference on looks. Although the DRX is a little bit bigger at this scale Im not sure if less then an inch in wheelbase and a inch and a half in width will make a huge difference.

Back to parts availability, right now between Kyosho USA and Amain hobbies they seem to have everything you could need for the DRX.

Here are the specs on the two cars as I had them in January of this year.
Kyosho 1/9th scale DRX rally
Length: 563mm (22.17 inches)
Width: 260mm (10.24 inches)
Height: 187mm (7.36 inches)
Wheelbase: 316mm (12.44 inches)
Tread (F/R): 215mm / 215mm (8.46 inches)
Tire(F/R): Φ93×38mm / Φ93×38mm
Gear Ratio: 8.86:1
Weight: 2,600g (approx.) (5.73 pounds)

HPI WR8 (supposedly 1/8th scale)
Chassis length: 485mm ( 19.09 inches)
Width: 227mm (8.94 inches)
Height: 172 (6.77 inches)
Wheelbase: 300mm (11.81 inches)
Old 07-29-2012, 08:05 AM   #150
Pebble Pounder

Wyld stallyns!!!! Sweet
Old 07-30-2012, 10:50 AM   #151
Rock Crawler

Right now I'm thinking it will come down to customization between the DRX and WR8. Kyosho only has one wheel design (in gold, black, and white) and a handful of bodies (Impreza, Lancer, Fiesta, Stratos, C4, and soon the Demon).

HPI seems to have an easier time making different bodies, wheels, and tires. But it may take some time before they release any other than the Fiesta body.

Ty, do you know anything about the Orion electronics included with the DRX VE?
It seems like with the Orion ESC that's included, you may have to buy Team Orion's Vortex Digital Setting Box to program it. (~$27.00)

Have you thought about using Kyosho's CVD's?
Old 07-30-2012, 12:03 PM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbp27 View Post
Right now I'm thinking it will come down to customization between the DRX and WR8. Kyosho only has one wheel design (in gold, black, and white) and a handful of bodies (Impreza, Lancer, Fiesta, Stratos, C4, and soon the Demon).
Kyosho Landmaxx wheels can be adapted to fit the DRX. Plus, really that is a lot of body choices, 6 body choices for a specific rally car. Even Tamiya doesn't have that many rally bodies out right now for the 10th scale cars.
Down the line HPI may come out with other bodies, but I highly doubt they will ever have more then 2 or 3 different bodies. And still that is going to come down to demand, if everyone one and their mom doesn't buy one of these cars I can't see a ton of aftermarket support. I think it is really going to come down to price point, I really hope they can be in the 300-400 range, but Im not holding my breath.

Quote:
HPI seems to have an easier time making different bodies, wheels, and tires. But it may take some time before they release any other than the Fiesta body.

Ty, do you know anything about the Orion electronics included with the DRX VE?
It seems like with the Orion ESC that's included, you may have to buy Team Orion's Vortex Digital Setting Box to program it. (~$27.00)
I really haven't looked in to it all that much. Initially I thought it was going to have a Castle Creations system, especially since their apache vehicles use CC. This maybe one way they are trying to get the price down. But to the quality of the electronics Im just not sure. I have not run anything Orion since the 90s.

Quote:
Have you thought about using Kyosho's CVD's?
Yeah I have, but for 50.00 Im not sure if I really need them. The DRX already has tons of steering and in the front the stub shaft/dog bone set up has never had a single issue. In the rear now I have broken two stub shafts right at the pin, but I have been sliding sideways at 20-30 MPH and slamming the car into tarmac. I did that about 20 times yesterday before the stub finally broke.

Surprisingly it never rolled, just jolted the car every time I hit the spot. I didn't really think about it breaking, but with how hard I was hitting it it made sense. Thinking back on it Im really surprised it could handle it one time let alone 20 times. Anything else would have broken or tumble every time.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #153
RCC Addict

I wonder if u will be able to run the wr8 wheels on the drx and vice versa

Old 07-30-2012, 01:57 PM   #154
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Kyosho Landmaxx wheels can be adapted to fit the DRX. Plus, really that is a lot of body choices, 6 body choices for a specific rally car. Even Tamiya doesn't have that many rally bodies out right now for the 10th scale cars.
Down the line HPI may come out with other bodies, but I highly doubt they will ever have more then 2 or 3 different bodies. And still that is going to come down to demand, if everyone one and their mom doesn't buy one of these cars I can't see a ton of aftermarket support. I think it is really going to come down to price point, I really hope they can be in the 300-400 range, but Im not holding my breath.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamargue View Post
I wonder if u will be able to run the wr8 wheels on the drx and vice versa
Isn't the Landmax old? Maybe the WR8 wheels would be a good match. They might be a little smaller, but you'd get the slicks, Gymkhana slicks, and rally tires. After I started listing Kyosho's bodies, I forgot a couple, and then realized they actually do have a good selection of them. And I agree that unless HPI's WR8 really takes off with a good price point, they might not make a lot of option parts. That's what happened to their Desert Trophy Truck. Not a big response, so they didn't make a lot of upgrades. But they did try to change the look of it slightly to sell more. But with the Ken Block endorsement, the WR8 could take off.

Quote:
Initially I thought it was going to have a Castle Creations system, especially since their apache vehicles use CC. This maybe one way they are trying to get the price down. But to the quality of the electronics Im just not sure. I have not run anything Orion since the 90s.
I was actually asking about the Orion setup in the DRX VE. The WR8 has the Castle-based Vapor system. Maybe someone who gets the VE could share their results with the Orion setup?

Quote:
Yeah I have, but for 50.00 Im not sure if I really need them. The DRX already has tons of steering and in the front the stub shaft/dog bone set up has never had a single issue. In the rear now I have broken two stub shafts right at the pin, but I have been sliding sideways at 20-30 MPH and slamming the car into tarmac. I did that about 20 times yesterday before the stub finally broke.

Surprisingly it never rolled, just jolted the car every time I hit the spot. I didn't really think about it breaking, but with how hard I was hitting it it made sense. Thinking back on it Im really surprised it could handle it one time let alone 20 times. Anything else would have broken or tumble every time.
$50.00 for just the front is pricey. But I'm glad to hear that it can handle that kind of abuse!

I seem to remember you got your DRX used, but did/ or does the body come with head/tail light buckets? Or is the body painted in those spots and the buckets are only included with the clear bodies? I have an LED problem lol
Old 07-30-2012, 03:15 PM   #155
Rock Crawler

Holy Crap! I just found the most awesome thing ever!!! lol

I was bored and googled "new body releases for Kyosho DRX" and found post #507 on this site: Radio Control Zone - View Single Post - Kyosho Landmax Forum v3.0

Then went to: rallyclassics.se

And found this: rallyclassics.se
Directly fits the DRX chassis!

55.00 Euros for the body, spoiler, and decal set. Pricey, but worth it! (I'm an Audi S1 fan) I just sent an email asking about shipping prices so I'll post that once I find out.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:30 PM   #156
Pebble Pounder

Nice!! Just ordered a lancer body to see if I can get it to work on the scte. I am probably gonna order this car when it's all said and done and just sell the electronics. What hubs does the drx wheels use? I have a set of hpi super slicks to try for mock up similar???

Last edited by sanny632; 07-30-2012 at 03:33 PM.
Old 07-30-2012, 03:56 PM   #157
RCC Addict

That s1 body is nuts. Good find.

Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 PM   #158

Quote:
Isn't the Landmax old? Maybe the WR8 wheels would be a good match. They might be a little smaller, but you'd get the slicks, Gymkhana slicks, and rally tires. After I started listing Kyosho's bodies, I forgot a couple, and then realized they actually do have a good selection of them. And I agree that unless HPI's WR8 really takes off with a good price point, they might not make a lot of option parts. That's what happened to their Desert Trophy Truck. Not a big response, so they didn't make a lot of upgrades. But they did try to change the look of it slightly to sell more. But with the Ken Block endorsement, the WR8 could take off.
It could be good actually, After someone pointed out the HPI facebook page they really do seem to be expressing a lot of interest in making other bodies. Everyone (like me) should probably just have the WR8 and the DRX.

Quote:
I was actually asking about the Orion setup in the DRX VE. The WR8 has the Castle-based Vapor system. Maybe someone who gets the VE could share their results with the Orion setup?
That makes sense.

Quote:
$50.00 for just the front is pricey. But I'm glad to hear that it can handle that kind of abuse!
It is a tank, hand on heart.

Quote:
I seem to remember you got your DRX used, but did/ or does the body come with head/tail light buckets? Or is the body painted in those spots and the buckets are only included with the clear bodies? I have an LED problem lol
I got the car brand spanking new! The fiesta body did/does have functional light buckets, I think the other cars do too, except my Lancia Stratos does not. I could modify the light areas to except lights, but Im not sure how long they would last.

Quote:
Holy Crap! I just found the most awesome thing ever!!! lol

I was bored and googled "new body releases for Kyosho DRX" and found post

Then went to: rallyclassics.se

And found this: rallyclassics.se
Directly fits the DRX chassis!

55.00 Euros for the body, spoiler, and decal set. Pricey, but worth it! (I'm an Audi S1 fan) I just sent an email asking about shipping prices so I'll post that once I find out.
Thats really is not bad considering I paid nearly 80.00 for the Lancia Stratos and 75.00 for the clear Subaru body and that didn't include decals for either one.

That body looks great, the only thing I would be worried about is the approach angle, I could see the front end of that body getting mangled after a couple nose heavy jumps. Don't get me wrong though I still need one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanny632 View Post
Nice!! Just ordered a lancer body to see if I can get it to work on the scte. I am probably gonna order this car when it's all said and done and just sell the electronics. What hubs does the drx wheels use? I have a set of hpi super slicks to try for mock up similar???
The car is worth the price! I believe the DRX uses a 17mm hex hub with a 6 or 7mm stub shaft.
Old 07-31-2012, 10:39 PM   #159
Rock Crawler

Glad you guys like the body. Haven't heard about the shipping price yet.

Quote:
It could be good actually, After someone pointed out the HPI facebook page they really do seem to be expressing a lot of interest in making other bodies. Everyone (like me) should probably just have the WR8 and the DRX.
I was actually that someone haha I hope they take those body requests into consideration. I wish I could have both cars but even just my D90 is too much.

Quote:
I got the car brand spanking new! The fiesta body did/does have functional light buckets, I think the other cars do too, except my Lancia Stratos does not. I could modify the light areas to except lights, but Im not sure how long they would last.
I just saw the very beginning of the thread saying you saw a used one on eBay. I'm glad they come with light buckets though. Lars' Stratos is coming out pretty nicely...

Quote:
That body looks great, the only thing I would be worried about is the approach angle, I could see the front end of that body getting mangled after a couple nose heavy jumps. Don't get me wrong though I still need one.
That is something I've worried about too. Especially since I don't always drive on flat/smooth surfaces
Old 07-31-2012, 11:01 PM   #160

Quote:
Lars' Stratos is coming out pretty nicely...
Finally! I started watching that build months ago, that has to be one of the slowest body builds I have ever seen.

Team [HOONIGAN]'s DRX(s) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Team BWD - Team East Coast RC - MRC build limited77 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 49 03-19-2012 06:19 PM
RPMJ's TEAM [HOONIGAN] Wraith RPMJ Axial Wraith 13 08-31-2011 08:04 AM
HUGE thanks to TEAM VANQUISH,TEAM T1E,TEAM 3051 SPAD RC Rock Crawling Worlds 13 09-02-2009 08:42 PM
Team Waggoner Racing Welcomes RCP CRAWLERS And AXIAL To The Team John Competitions 9 06-01-2008 08:31 PM