Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > RC4WD Trail Finder 2

Notices

Thread: Lift kit.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2012, 12:16 PM   #41
RCC Addict

Default Re: Lift kit.

Yes, it was trimmed, but not too much and I hope I don't have to do any more.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-01-2012, 12:19 PM   #42
RCC Addict

Thanks Postclanker, I hope the body lift does it for me.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #43
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katan View Post
Yes, the larger OD tires will lift the whole truck and raise the CoG and the the body weight will affect the CoG. But not as much as lifting the whole truck.
That's why a suspension lift can help. By changing travel and spring rate, you can help alleviate any negative effects of a higher cog. Another helpful tool is the wider hexes that come with the truck. A wider track will help steady things.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #44
RCC Addict

I started out this morning to install either the RC4WD body lift kit or the BM suspension blocks. As it worked out, both got installed. I started with the BM suspension kit. Not because I wanted to but because the standoff screws are hidden by the transmission and the transfer case. The standoffs for the body lift kit are aluminum and threaded and I want to use them. So, I installed the Blue Monkey blocks after going to the LHS and buying some additional screws. My four blocks only came with five screws in the package and I needed eight. No big deal. After installing the blocks, I still didn't have the clearance I need for the 1.55 IROK Super Swampers so I opened the RC4WD kit and installed the kit using the plastic standoffs for now.

The first photo is of the truck with both kits installed. The second is of the clearance I now have and the third is of the BM block. As of today, I still don't know if the body lift kit by itself will be enough. There are two holes in the bracket of the body lift so you can use either. The top hole will give you another 1/16 lift, I used the lower hole. I'm a little under the weather today and just didn't feel like messing with it any longer.

Tomorrow or Monday I will remove the BM blocks and see how my tire clearance is at that point. I'm thinking that if I use the top hole in the bracket it will be just enough under suspension compression.

Last edited by raceeng18; 06-02-2012 at 04:55 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:57 PM   #45
RCC Addict

A mild trimming wouldn't look out of place and would definately open things up when flexing. You don't notice mine is trimmed until you look hard.

Last edited by tozrovr; 06-02-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:54 PM   #46
RCC Addict

It's the back of the wheel well where I'm having the problem.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:14 PM   #47
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
It's the back of the wheel well where I'm having the problem.

That is where mine is chopped Subtle

It's much more than you think...I trimmed it when I had the shackle reversal on and the axle was shifted way back.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:29 PM   #48
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I started out this morning to install either the RC4WD body lift kit or the BM suspension blocks. As it worked out, both got installed. I started with the BM suspension kit. Not because I wanted to but because the standoff screws are hidden by the transmission and the transfer case. The standoffs for the body lift kit are aluminum and threaded and I want to use them. So, I installed the Blue Monkey blocks after going to the LHS and buying some additional screws. My four blocks only came with five screws in the package and I needed eight. No big deal. After installing the blocks, I still didn't have the clearance I need for the 1.55 IROK Super Swampers so I opened the RC4WD kit and installed the kit using the plastic standoffs for now.

The first photo is of the truck with both kits installed. The second is of the clearance I now have and the third is of the BM block. As of today, I still don't know if the body lift kit by itself will be enough. There are two holes in the bracket of the body lift so you can use either. The top hole will give you another 1/16 lift, I used the lower hole. I'm a little under the weather today and just didn't feel like messing with it any longer.

Tomorrow or Monday I will remove the BM blocks and see how my tire clearance is at that point. I'm thinking that if I use the top hole in the bracket it will be just enough under suspension compression.
why didnt you try the top hole in the bodylift? I think you will need both lifts to clear those monster tires.....Body lift alone might not be enough.
Erbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 06:15 AM   #49
RCC Addict

I'm a little under the weather today and just didn't feel like messing with it any longer.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 PM   #50
RCC Addict

OK, the Blue Monkey blocks are removed and the RC4WD body lift is installed in the top hole. I drove it in the back yard but I really don't have any obstacles to really compress the suspension so I'll try it tomorrow at the park. However, when just pushing down on the hood with the wheels turned, the clearance is very close. Erbing, you may be correct, I may need to either re-install the blocks or trim the body if I run these tires.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:11 PM   #51
Rock Crawler

Quote:
OK, the Blue Monkey blocks are removed and the RC4WD body lift is installed in the top hole. I drove it in the back yard but I really don't have any obstacles to really compress the suspension so I'll try it tomorrow at the park. However, when just pushing down on the hood with the wheels turned, the clearance is very close. Erbing, you may be correct, I may need to either re-install the blocks or trim the body if I run these tires.

I'd rather reinstall the blocks before cutting.
Old 06-03-2012, 04:31 PM   #52
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erbing View Post
I'd rather reinstall the blocks before cutting.
From a scale perspective cutting is a must....no one would be running those HUGE meats with no cutting.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:37 PM   #53
RCC Addict

Well your statement poses a question. If we want to remain SCALE, should we be using larger wheels and tires to begin with, or building the truck as it came and leaving it that way? I don't know, this is my first scaler and it's all new to me.

Last edited by raceeng18; 06-03-2012 at 07:41 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #54
I wanna be Dave

I would vote for the original package for a "scale" issue
Personal choice is a larger tire...just think it looks better IMO
Plus, I've seen some pretty lifted trucks around here.
Everyone posted on this thread has followed the "scale" look pretty good...trucks look great
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #55
RCC Addict

My perspective is based on the lifted and wheeled 1:1's I've wheeled and wheeled with. For me, scale us about a true representation if a 1:1. My statement regarding the trimming is based on the normal progression of modification, as well as required miss to support, on this case, huge tires. Running what would be over 40" tires is a big deal on a steet legal truck. Very few folks would attempt such a huge tires without at least minor trimming. In the 1:1 world you'd also rarely see spare tires on devoted trail trucks with tires over 40"...but at the end if the day, we're just enjoying toy trucks
Old 06-03-2012, 08:16 PM   #56
RCC Addict

I have to agree with both of your statements. This thing looks great with the big tires and tozrovr's truck looks fine with the way in which he has trimmed it.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:25 PM   #57
Rock Crawler

raceeng18, post a pic when you get the blocks on with body lift at its highest setting. im looking for some bigger tires and would like to see how it looks..Thanks
Old 06-04-2012, 07:32 AM   #58
RCC Addict

I don't know if the blocks will go back on, but if they do I will be happy to post a photo.

Joe
Old 06-04-2012, 05:39 PM   #59
RCC Addict

Well I joined the dark side today. I cut the valance/grill just under the headlights. I also trimmed the fenders to make everything look right. My decision was based on how I want my truck to look, my perception of a 1:1 truck I might want to own. I know I want to run these 40" + tires (maybe 44's) and the truck just didn't look right without doing what I did. I'll edit this post in the morning and post some photo's. I ended up having some time tonight so here are the photo's.

The soft leafs have been removed and the stock leafs are back on. The helper leafs are on top of the main leaf.

As you can see, the front has been really trimmed up. Gone are my humorous eye balls. I like my amber lights.

Well that's it for now. I don't know what will be next, but there will be a next, this is a fun rig. What I'm hoping we'll see for this truck are some metal bumpers that fit the bumper mounts well and some no slop diff locks. Other than that I'm pretty happy.

Last edited by raceeng18; 06-04-2012 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:42 PM   #60
I wanna be Dave

I think that looks great Joe....but did you have to cut off so much of the front?
I'm waiting on a tube/flat bed a fellow crawler addict is building me...I'll post up pictures after I get it....shouldn't be long now...I hope
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote

Lift kit. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lift kit BLOODBANE Chit Chat 9 02-12-2014 06:55 PM
Lift Kit? Philly116 Axial SCX-10 1 02-10-2012 07:19 PM
Looking for lift kit for scx-10 jray Newbie General 8 09-21-2011 06:59 AM
lift kit usa1man Chit Chat 13 08-14-2007 07:35 PM
Lift Kit ? TOMMY RAINS Traxxas Crawlers 11 04-02-2006 11:41 AM