Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Redcat Crawlers

Notices

Thread: The new redcat everest-10 crawler?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 09:27 AM   #21
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: The new redcat everest-10 crawler?

Cant wait to see what ppl come up with.
If there is a cvd/uni that can be dropped in, and get some real angle ima jump on this for sure.
JCon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #22
o-o
Pebble Pounder

VoodooSteve, do you think it would be possible to swap the motor to a faster turning one and get about 12 to 15 mph from it? I'm wondering if it could be used as a monster truck basher instead of a cawler.
o-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 02:45 PM   #23
Rock Stacker

Ok, chubs came today, looks like they will fit right up except for needing a larger outer bearing which I do not have,BUT... The stock chubs although plastic are way more substantial than that on the rs10... Also there is a bearing just inboard of the chubs, and coupled with the chub mount makes these axles stronger than the rs10's.... I really wish I had some universals or cvd's I could cut and weld to these axle shafts, should be very easy upgrade to do.
O-O, I believe it could be done very easy, the stock tires and wheels are pretty wide already, and the truck
Itself seems very strong, you may however have to lock out the rear chubs with a couple pieces of tubing similar to the rs10 mod, as the stock locks are just a couple rods and 4 rod ends, However this truck needs only a servo, servo mount, rs10 rx/rx and a short link and it will be 4WS...
Fellas, after having hands on this truck and running it, there is no doubt the Everest will need it's own catagory, as this truck is just begging to be messed with, and the possibilities are endless!
Also, I live in a very rural area, pics don't upload well from here, so tomorrow evening I'll do some from my daughters home, I don't have a lot as I want to beat on it a bit before itear it apart, but if something breaks, y'all will be the first to know.
VoodooSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 06:59 AM   #24
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by o-o View Post
VoodooSteve, do you think it would be possible to swap the motor to a faster turning one and get about 12 to 15 mph from it? I'm wondering if it could be used as a monster truck basher instead of a cawler.
I would be more worried about the axle and tranny internals not holding up than just swapping a faster motor in. Some of the FOFF guys and guys doing the Ultra 4 racing are doing pretty awesome things with Shafty crawlers, but when you add speed to them, stuff starts breaking.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2014, 08:15 AM   #25
Rock Stacker

jsowens has a valid point, powerful motors stress parts, couple that with some big ol monster tires and parts can and will break, 12-15 mph is not earth shattering but something may still break.... The axles look to me to be fairly tough although the plastic coupling box(diff) looks like it may be a weak point, the tranny seems tough too but not having put a beating on it, I really can't say how tough it will be with added stressors, they do make a number of upgradable optional parts for it including Aluminum driveshafts, gearbox cases, axle cases, connect boxes, chubs, caster mounts and a few other Aluminum parts, the choice is yours, it was a buck 30 shipped to my door, I've paid a lot more for less, but then again in the last 45 years I've did a lot of stupid stuff with RC's, I don't believe this is one of them.
Old 12-04-2014, 03:22 PM   #26
Rock Stacker

Ok fellas here are a few pics...
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2014, 03:26 PM   #27
Rock Stacker

Here are the axle and chub setup.
Attached Images

Old 12-04-2014, 03:29 PM   #28
Rock Stacker

Looks like the resize didn't take....gotta love the iphone, but Apple is another story.
Old 12-04-2014, 09:10 PM   #29

thanks steve for the input and pics, I have to agree with you it looks like a solid starting point with alot of potential to make a heck of a crawler that may even be able to compete with far more expensive models, I've always like the underdog or the junkyard dog always seems to have some fight always in it...lol...Terry
terrywolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 06:35 AM   #30
RCC Addict

I like the look of it. The axles bear a pretty strong resemblance to Ax10/Scx10 axles. I'm glad they made removable Chubs so you can potentially use aftermarket aluminum/clockable versions and the axles look very similar to the interface Axial uses on some of their rigs. Maybe someone can confirm if they're the same and if so, CVDs are very possible. Kinda makes me wish I hadn't sold off my 2.2 stuff haha. I know if I got one of these it would be stripped down to bare axles pretty quick. I still kinda want one of the Everest 1:16 crawlers or a micro, though.
jsowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #31
Rock Stacker

I have never been a big Redcat fan BUT My main shop, Adventure Off-Road in Leoma, Tennessee, just started selling these and so far they have been bulletproof. When he first got them in he handed us the transmitter for two of them and told us to find the weak points.... and so far out of about a dozen or more of us (his regulars) driving the fire out of them we have yet to break anything on them.... no loose screws no NOTHING.... Last Saturday he told me he is about to retire all of his SCX10 Rental fleet (Woo! Parts trucks for me) and replace them with these. Im actually thinking about picking my Nephew up one for Christmas, maybe even one for myself to tinker with! Only down fall I can find the 45T motor is a little on the slow side and a tire upgrade would do wonders. I even think you could sipe or take some lugs off the stock tires and do wonders for them! Saw this thread and thought I would add my experience with the new Everest! I would recommend one to someone in a heart beat!
blackfox93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 08:40 AM   #32
Rock Stacker

People around here love to hate on the RS10 and Maxstone 10 but mine are awesome with very few mods and not a lot of money. My RS10 can do 3 hours of trailing on one 2s 4200 lipo. It has a hightec servo, Sedona tires and axial scx 10 piggy backs. This truck is probably a lot like the Maxstone. My MS10 is a bit faster than the RS with stock motors so it can wheelie drop and pop up over things better to get over things the RS10 just crawls over. The MS10 has a water proof servo and stock wraith tires and wheels. Both are running Spektrum receivers.

These inexpensive trucks are awesome, most of the time I run with SCX 10s. Its faster than both of my trucks, can do some stuff my trucks can't but they can each do things the SCX10 can't. My total cost in both trucks isn't as much as a new SCX10 RTR.

I can't wait to see what you guys do with this new redcat.
davemud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:13 PM   #33

what kind of aftermarket parts do they have? haven't seen any yet , is it to new? any pics or info would be great might be getting one next week...
Old 12-06-2014, 11:09 PM   #34
Rock Stacker

I just ordered one off Amazon this morning.

There are some hop up parts listed on the Redcat site, in the spare parts list, - anything labled (Al.)
none of the upgrades are in stock right now, but if you search the part numbers you can find them elsewere.
(search "HSP" and the part number)

There are a few variants of this crawler on the market
Exceed Maxstone 1/10
HSP Right CF
HSP Pangolin

green parts 51C872 Exceed RC MaxStone 4WD Rock Crawler Spare Parts & Upgrades

Orange parts - http://www.aliexpress.com/popular/hs...ler-parts.html

Last edited by Robotron; 12-06-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Robotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #35
Rock Stacker

looks like AX10 CVDs and lockers should work with just a little grinding.
Maxstone 10 budget build
Robotron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:40 AM   #36
Rock Stacker

Well my buddy Mark ar Adventure Off-Road had a Birthday Party Friday night and rented out a couple of Crawlers to some kids that managed to break the front locker in one of the Everest 10. It's just plastic but we tried the Axial unit but the Everast axles are too thick but looks like it would work with some grinding BUT Mark has decided to put SCX10 axles under it and a bunch of other upgrades just to deck one out. I'll post some pics as soon as he's done with it. He's even talking about putting a ROC412 in it LOL.... can't wait to see how it goes
blackfox93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:04 AM   #37

I agree alot of redcat and exceed stuff will interchange had a s30 volcano and alot of exceeds 1/10 scale truck would interchange with the redcat so i guess the crawler stuff wouldn't be any different... I think this is redcats ace in the whole coming out to be a contender in the crawler world...
Old 12-08-2014, 04:02 PM   #38
Pebble Pounder

I've got one of these on order from the local guys at Amazing RC Store. Should be in next week. Will keep everyone posted (pun not intended lol). While i've not been active lately (we got a puppy ... somehow they don't include sleep! ), i'm still playing with the crawlers a bit, so not completely useless yet.

Ssssooooooo, are we going to hang out here in the RS10 section or go to the General or ... ?
TakeOffYouHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:13 PM   #39
Pebble Pounder

Thanks for posting those, Steve! I wasn't sure if I was seeing things with the pics on the Redcat site, but now it can easily be seen ... the shocks mount on the axle at the same point as the lower linkages. I'm wondering if this will ever pose a weak point or limitation. Just gonna have to see.

If you don't mind, Steve, could you please verify the type of connector use from the battery to the ESC? So far all (Redcat) pics i've seen show a Tamiya connector. Is this the same on your production unit? Thanks.
TakeOffYouHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 07:29 PM   #40

I just got one of these trucks. Just ran it around in my house, but I like it so far. Tires and servo are the first 2 things I'm going to replace. Then the motor will be replaced by a 35t lathe motor.

^^^^ the plug is a standard tamiya.
radster87 is offline   Reply With Quote

The new redcat everest-10 crawler? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
redcat crawler sandracer340 Newbie General 28 01-28-2017 05:20 AM
which one is the best losi mini crawler or redcat sumo crawler serkanyucel74 Micro Scale Rigs 3 03-03-2015 08:31 AM
Redcat crawler help THE CRAWLER KING Redcat Crawlers 5 01-21-2010 07:34 PM