Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: SORRCA Competition Rules Release - Class Specs and scale points

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2011, 04:44 PM   #281
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
My point being that an aluminum body should be afforded the scale points. It is much more a hard body than a lexan body.
That was our thinking as well.
KevenP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2011, 06:48 PM   #282
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdb85 View Post
I apoligize for being short; should have carried my thoughts a little farther.
My point being that an aluminum body should be afforded the scale points. It is much more a hardbody than a lexan body.
I agree with that.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #283
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The thing about the aluminum is that while it may not be as rigid and may shove out of the way, in a similiar manner to Lexan, it will not return to shape as lexan will. A person must take more care in driving their aluminum bodied rig as too much damage could cause them to lose scale points or could deform the body to the point of being out of spec for the class.
Let me see if I can follow this line of logic.

If I were to run an aluminum body and while I'm driving it on the rocks or trial it receives damage, that would cause it not to be scale anymore?

Really? So what part of trail damage is not scale? I mean, I've seen copious amounts of trail damage on 1:1s while on the trail I've seen bumpers, fenders, hoods, etc... fall off on the trail and I'm pretty sure they were not told their rigs were no longer legal.
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:56 PM   #284
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Let me see if I can follow this line of logic.

If I were to run an aluminum body and while I'm driving it on the rocks or trial it receives damage, that would cause it not to be scale anymore?

Really? So what part of trail damage is not scale? I mean, I've seen copious amounts of trail damage on 1:1s while on the trail I've seen bumpers, fenders, hoods, etc... fall off on the trail and I'm pretty sure they were not told their rigs were no longer legal.
Yes 1:1 there will be trail damage and like you have seen quite a bit if it.
Problem here though is that if we were to allow "trail damage" to the point were the body is out of spec, you know that with this being a competition guys would build into their rigs things that would fall off and would clearly be for a performance advantage instead of a just trying to be scale. These are rule are for competition purposes. It will be necessary to have a spec and if whatever part of the rig falls out of spec, a repair would have to be made to get it back into spec.
Rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 08:02 PM   #285
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
Yes 1:1 there will be trail damage and like you have seen quite a bit if it.
Problem here though is that if we were to allow "trail damage" to the point were the body is out of spec, you know that with this being a competition guys would build into their rigs things that would fall off and would clearly be for a performance advantage instead of a just trying to be scale. These are rule are for competition purposes. It will be necessary to have a spec and if whatever part of the rig falls out of spec, a repair would have to be made to get it back into spec.
IDK, if this is supposed to be "scale", perhaps the rules should resemble something that is more representative of what is being modeled?
Old 01-22-2011, 08:11 PM   #286
RCC Addict

Quote:
IDK, if this is supposed to be "scale", perhaps the rules should resemble something that is more representative of what is being modeled?
There are many things that will not or can not cross over from 1:1. If someone must build a rig that falls apart, we're not here to stop them. They will just have to understand that if they want to compete with it, they will have to take a repair if there rig falls out of spec.
Old 01-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #287
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogue View Post
There are many things that will not or can not cross over from 1:1. If someone must build a rig that falls apart, we're not here to stop them. They will just have to understand that if they want to compete with it, they will have to take a repair if there rig falls out of spec.
Makes perfect sense, I mean this is "scale" after all.

Old 01-22-2011, 09:59 PM   #288
Quarry Creeper

Ok Im a little confused on the 1/4" tire exposer rule for c1, Now im basing this of of my 1:1's and many others. On my full size the tires stick out about 6- 8" about 1/2-3/4 of the total tire with. this vehicle doesnt have crazy amounts of lift and is a daily driver or "grocery getter" . now shouldnt this be aowed in c1 rigs seeing as the only downfall is on the drivers part with limited steering and wheel travel while articulating over the rocks. now I can see that if the entire tire is sticking out beyond the fender thats deff not true scale that would be more like a hacked up s10 with fullsize axles underneath it and would count for a c3 rig. My scale build has just a hair over half the total with of the tire extruding from the fender thus eliminating it from c1 now to say that you are only alowed a 1/4" you might as well call it a stock or practicly unmodified class where the tire doesnt extend out at all.

I know there are severall axles and wheel/ tire combos on the market that would allow most rigs to qualfy for this class but lets face it even the above average builder wont posses the resources to complete a rig for c1.

and just a long shot but if c1 is spposed to be an almost true scale class shouldnt there be stronger classifications on "scale" parts being used ie: axial axles are the cheaper and more common axle used throughout the sport but lets face it you can tell there from a toy "non realistic" ...

not trying to come off as a dink or anything but I feel there is alot of grey area is this section...

maybe i've read too much in the last half hour or so lines are starting to kinda blur together.
Diesel-tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:16 PM   #289
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
I think what we're getting at with the "out of spec" is we don't want people using a tin foil body without any bracing, stiffeners, or cage. People will try to skirt the rules by running a tear away body and try to gain a performance advantage. If someone is obviously trying to do this, a judge can say that a vehicle is out of spec if:

*A class 1 truck hits a rock and tears the front fender off and there isn't 1/4" tire coverage.

*Or a class 2 rig that rolls without a cage and the top is crushed in and is only
3" tall.

For the average person trying to build a cool rig this won't be an issue. I know with your builds that you do it right with full bumpers, sliders, and cages, but there is an easy way for someone to use a body like this to try and cheat. We just need to make sure it's fair for everyone.
That is what i was thinking, i just wanted to be sure. Pretty much if it falls off you gotta put it back on and it needs to stay within the minimum body dimensions.
Metal Masher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:46 PM   #290
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metal Masher View Post
That is what i was thinking, i just wanted to be sure. Pretty much if it falls off you gotta put it back on and it needs to stay within the minimum body dimensions.

Yeah, that's "scale".

I mean really, who in the hell thinks this stupid shit up?
Old 01-22-2011, 11:01 PM   #291
I wanna be Dave

So... Are these rules for the "Scale" version of CalRocs/WERocks rigs? Or are these for the "Scale" rigs that most of use see while out on the trail having FUN?

While skimming through the rules, I felt the urge to get into SC truck racing rather than going to a scale comp.
toyofast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 09:18 AM   #292
Web Wheeling

If someone chose to run a aluminum body and they do smash in a fender, they should be allowed to run the rest of the day. But it would be required to be within spec at the next event before competing again. As for the roof cave in, the cage should keep the roof from failing completely.
Etype R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:11 AM   #293
I wanna be Dave

Really guys, the rules are done for this year, nothing is being changed about it. So... They are what they are, if you want to compete, follow them, if you don't want to compete, then build whatever you want.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #294
I wanna be Dave

I don't see anything binding about these rules. I have yet to see a list of clubs that are members of SORRCA.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:58 PM   #295
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah, that's "scale".

I mean really, who in the hell thinks this stupid shit up?
Do you actually have anything useful to add?

Didn't think so.
EvilTwin v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #296
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilTwin v2 View Post
Do you actually have anything useful to add?

Didn't think so.
Touch a nerve did I?

Again, please explain to me how any of this makes sense?

I see nothing binding about these rules. I know of no one in my club has been contacted about joining this organization or the ratification of these rules.

Am I supposed to just follow them because you said so?

Don't think so.
Old 01-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #297
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Touch a nerve did I?

Again, please explain to me how any of this makes sense?

I see nothing binding about these rules. I know of no one in my club has been contacted about joining this organization or the ratification of these rules.

Am I supposed to just follow them because you said so?

Don't think so.
So, why don't you go build whatever you want? You are a big boy (assuming) and can figure out for yourself if you are going to be attending an event where these rules are used.

You are trying to incite a flaming response, on purpose, for the sole purpose of inciting a response. If you want to try and build a scale working gasoline engine and 5 speed transmission, please do so, since you claim these things have to be as scale as possible.

This set of rules was agreed upon by a committe of about 20 members from all over north america, and there was an opportunity for people to join this committee in a democratic way. Just the same as the previous MSD rules, or even the USRCCA rules for comp crawlers; you can choose to build whatever you want, but if you plan to show up to an event that uses these rules, and you want to compete, then you will need to follow these rules.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:36 PM   #298
I wanna be Dave

C'mon guys. These rules aren't even complete, they are a first draft, nobody has to use these rules (we hope when they are finished and everyone understands them that they will want to use them), and we obviously have some tweaks that we need to do. Please bear with us.....
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #299
Moderator Rule Breaker

What was wrong with old scale rules ?

Me and alot of other people like them and been using them for years and saw no problems with them.

Why mess with something good and most people like ?
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:03 PM   #300
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
What was wrong with old scale rules ?

Me and alot of other people like them and been using them for years and saw no problems with them.

Why mess with something good and most people like ?
Which ones????

The problem with that is that there were as many different set of scale rules as there are clubs. We were trying to come up with a set of rules that all clubs could use and adopt, unifying the entire scale community to use the same set of rules would help the entire scale community grow.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/scale-comp-rules/290744-sorrca-competition-rules-release-class-specs-scale-points.html
Posted By For Type Date
Official new scale rules 2011 - Nostr Forums This thread Refback 10-07-2011 06:20 AM