Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Comp Rules

Notices

Thread: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2015, 12:03 PM   #561

Default Re: 2015 scale rules discussion or question thead

im saying that entry level peeps coming into a scale comp will most likely come away with the desire to further personalize their rig to be scale, or at the very least not feel like they have a rig that they cant have fun with because its just not capable of navigating the course.

i would assume thats a hell of alot less intimidating than chasing grams of weight and mastering dual esc driving over crazy lines at the comp scene. i could have a ton of fun at a scale comp with a relatively stock rig, but at the comp scene a stock xr10 isnt gonna be that fun. (or at least thats what i assume. i have no desire to get into the comp scene)
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2015, 12:08 PM   #562
RcBros Hobbies

if you guys stopped bashing comp crawlers we would still have drivers... LMAO Big scale bully's. Stock XR10's do relatively well when a course is built properly.

Again, I feel any section of our hobby is killed or grown by those in charge or running it with all skill levels in mind. 90% of the fun for me is hanging out with all us like minded nerds afterwards rather then driving. Building is the other fun part.
RcBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:16 PM   #563

i LOVE seeing people rigs in person. the one rig i want to see the most is grizz's guido. love that thing. those are the types of rigs i wish we saw more of in scale comps, but i remember him posting years ago that it just wasnt fun anymore trying to comp it against more purpose built scale comp rigs.

seeing peoples rigs and the hangin out is the funnest thing for me about a big comp. i love to build rigs too, but that takes time i just havent had alot of. i have pleeeenty of ideas and projects, just getting the time to build has been hard.

i wasnt knocking the comp scene it just seems waaaay technical and really needing a well setup rig to compete, whereas in sorrca i can comp my 12 pound c2 ive had for 4 years and if not be competitive at least still have fun.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:31 PM   #564
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
i LOVE seeing people rigs in person. the one rig i want to see the most is grizz's guido. love that thing. those are the types of rigs i wish we saw more of in scale comps, but i remember him posting years ago that it just wasnt fun anymore trying to comp it against more purpose built scale comp rigs.

seeing peoples rigs and the hangin out is the funnest thing for me about a big comp. i love to build rigs too, but that takes time i just havent had alot of. i have pleeeenty of ideas and projects, just getting the time to build has been hard.

i wasnt knocking the comp scene it just seems waaaay technical and really needing a well setup rig to compete, whereas in sorrca i can comp my 12 pound c2 ive had for 4 years and if not be competitive at least still have fun.

This is one of the reasons I'm rebuilding the EB. It will be my Class 3 rig for next year (and beyond). I'm just at a point where I'll build and compete with what I want. I'll get beat by purpose built rigs, but dang it.....I'm going to have fun doing it!
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:41 PM   #565
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
I vote to let holycaveman just take over SORRCA and implement whatever rules he thinks will work. Sounds like he knows what EVERYONE wants. Not like we've really put any thought into these rules over the last 5 or so years.....

Hey now you got to handle constructive criticism when you make the rules for the rest of us little people.

I appreciate all the work that goes into it. But things can start to drift. And it's hard to see sometimes when you are looking at it from overhead. LOL

who else do I voice my concerns to ? May as well go straight to the top.

And don't expect any mercy from me come Rocky Mountain time.

Not rules wise. I only spout off on line. The whole squeaky wheel thing........

I will have a big smile come comp time! Actually I do now but you can't see it on line
holycaveman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 12:52 PM   #566
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
This is one of the reasons I'm rebuilding the EB. It will be my Class 3 rig for next year (and beyond). I'm just at a point where I'll build and compete with what I want. I'll get beat by purpose built rigs, but dang it.....I'm going to have fun doing it!
I can see we look at things differently. And that is fine. We both love scale

A lot of people are scared of my rigs. But they don't matter In reality. My c3 is just a 1:1 model. No tricks, small tires and low on scale points. It's a neat fun truck. No front bias even. 50/50.

In scale "purpose built" rigs really make little difference in my opinion. I will trade anyone trucks and compete against my own. It's still the driver in scale (outside of scale points) LOL
Old 03-23-2015, 01:33 PM   #567
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by holycaveman View Post
Hey now you got to handle constructive criticism when you make the rules for the rest of us little people.

i handle it better than most. It's just frustrating when I go to reply to your comments and find most of them deleted.

I appreciate all the work that goes into it. But things can start to drift. And it's hard to see sometimes when you are looking at it from overhead. LOL

I think we do the best with what we have. Simple rules and scale points without being too overbearing.

who else do I voice my concerns to ? May as well go straight to the top.

If I'm the top then we're all in trouble

And don't expect any mercy from me come Rocky Mountain time.

It's gonna be fun!

Not rules wise. I only spout off on line. The whole squeaky wheel thing........

We can arm wrestle in Colorado.

I will have a big smile come comp time! Actually I do now but you can't see it on line

I'm smiling too, but only on the inside.
Quote:
I can see we look at things differently. And that is fine. We both love scale

Pretty much everyone looks at what's scale "differently", and that's why there always has to be compromise.

A lot of people are scared of my rigs. But they don't matter In reality. My c3 is just a 1:1 model. No tricks, small tires and low on scale points. It's a neat fun truck. No front bias even. 50/50.

I'm going to kick it's ass in Colorado.

In scale "purpose built" rigs really make little difference in my opinion. I will trade anyone trucks and compete against my own. It's still the driver in scale (outside of scale points) LOL
Not always. I could build a "purpose built" scale rig that would perform like a Pro Shafty. Servo on axle, all lexan, 4 lbs etc and people would scream. The scale points balance that out. BTW, scale competition is like chess. Finding that balance between performance and scale looks will always be in the equation. Build what you want and if it doesn't perform to your expectations, change it. It's all about choices.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #568
I wanna be Dave

I have two forms of scale truck in order to have fun and be competitive. My C1 is a hard body Yota, full interior with a drop bed, performs pretty well for a C1 but I wanted a truck that was more scale in appearance in that class.

My C2 is a lexan bodied f100 truggy with lighter weight full Dinky Honcho interior and performs more like a Sporty rig on 1.9's, a 7.64lb sporty. Knowing that C2 is the most competitive class and me being a competitive person it was necessary. Not to say it isn't scale, it has exhaust, battery with wires, fuel cell with plumbing, etc. it's just not a hard body and has low CG.

If I want to go for a trail run I'll drive the Yota, if I want to G6 I'll drive the Yota or build a more scale rig just for G6
bmuzz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:11 PM   #569
RCC Addict

LoL. Now that is more like it Warpig!

Nothing like a little fire to warm things up!

Sad thing is I can't arm wrestle. Mx racing kind of ended that for me. But i can run a remote well enough!

And yea you handle all this crap thrown out here pretty damn well. I will say that.

Cheers!
Old 03-23-2015, 04:28 PM   #570
RCC Addict

Yea I delete a lot of my posts and edit them. I come off like a bull. And I really am not trying to upset anyone. I speak my mind about stuff but I don't want to be athorative about it. I still come off as a know it all. I just have a poor way of trying to relay ideas on the net nicely. My fault completely.
Old 03-24-2015, 01:46 AM   #571
Quarry Creeper

Class 1 question:

Can you cut off the doors and tailgate in c1? Minor modification of the body is allowed but is cutting the doors off minor or major? What about notching them, or what ever it's called when you cut away part of the top so you can see out better?
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 08:37 AM   #572
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
Class 1 question:

Can you cut off the doors and tailgate in c1? Minor modification of the body is allowed but is cutting the doors off minor or major? What about notching them, or what ever it's called when you cut away part of the top so you can see out better?
The objective in Class 1 was to keep the bodies of these rigs looking fairly stock, hence the "vehicles body must remain mostly intact" part of the Class 1 details. I think a tiny bit of door trimming would be fine but no complete door removal. Tailgate removal is fine since I see a lot of pickups running around without them.
Old 03-24-2015, 08:54 AM   #573
Rock Crawler

ive been tinkering with a cc01 wrangler body that i was going to remove the doors and rear window to show off a full 4 seat interior similar to the mangler build kevin jowett did a while back. after that last post, im guessing that it isnt in the sprit of class 1, although most 1:1 jeep people leave their doors in the garage...?
stevem50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:09 AM   #574
Scale Detail Engineering

I would imaging that is ok on a Wrangler... just like the tailgate, lot's of 1:1's run around on the road like that.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 09:11 AM   #575
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevem50 View Post
ive been tinkering with a cc01 wrangler body that i was going to remove the doors and rear window to show off a full 4 seat interior similar to the mangler build kevin jowett did a while back. after that last post, im guessing that it isnt in the sprit of class 1, although most 1:1 jeep people leave their doors in the garage...?

Uggghh, I would give Jeeps a pass as long as there was a full interior.
Old 03-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #576
RCC Addict

My jeep xj has the doors removed.

I have seen picups like this also. The whole good ole boy flat bed, roll bar, no doors thing. LOL
Old 03-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #577
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
My jeep xj has the doors removed.

I have seen picups like this also. The whole good ole boy flat bed, roll bar, no doors thing. LOL
I'd let everyone else remove their door but you
Old 03-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #578
RCC Addict

I guess that means you won't be blowing my doors off then?

Ahh so much fun.. and only a month away
Old 03-24-2015, 03:07 PM   #579
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post
I would imaging that is ok on a Wrangler... just like the tailgate, lot's of 1:1's run around on the road like that.
Jeep guys need all the help that can get.
sally1800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 08:32 AM   #580
I wanna be Dave

I have a class 2 rail question. I have been reworking an old Beckworks chassis to bring it up my standards and making it C2 legal.
So my question is I have frame railed the front (was rod) but was curious if the rear end needed rails too. I have been searching and seen chassis similar to what I done so far that were in C2. Figured I would ask to save me some time. Thanks.
Szczerba is offline   Reply With Quote

2015 scale rules discussion or question thead - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2014 scale rules discussion or question thead doublej Scale Comp Rules 682 03-26-2015 07:33 AM
2015 Scale Rules doublej Scale Comp Rules 3 01-12-2015 12:56 PM
2013 scale rules discussion or question thead War Pig Scale Comp Rules 808 08-15-2014 09:29 PM