Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Nationals

Notices

Thread: Vehicle class questions (legality for event)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2012, 02:31 PM   #61
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Vehicle class questions (legality for event)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDS Customz View Post
Seriously?? We are building our new supers now with only one 7980. And that is plenty for 8" tires( w/proper steering geometry). Can't see where one would need dual steering servos on even a class three w/a 5.75 tire
Yes....seriously. I am starting up a new C3 rig and just seeing what my options are for parts and scale points. You can never have too much power.
justinart24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 08:53 PM   #62
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy R View Post
Sounds like removing the word "servo" would suffice, Tim.
Seems like servo( = 1) is fine.. If it said servo's = many then maybe it would need removed
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 10:17 PM   #63
I wanna be Dave

Yeah, that's kind of what I was thinking. Servo isn't plural, so it means one.
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 07:16 PM   #64
Rock Stacker

Would a vehicle like this fit into class 3
firefighter1211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #65
I wanna be Dave

As long as it meets the minimium length(frame as long as wheelbase) width and overall hieght requirements.

Nice looking southern buggy,who is the builder ?
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012, 09:42 PM   #66
Rock Stacker

The buggy is showtime and the name of the guy that built it is Tim Cameron. He builds some pretty sweet buggies.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:32 AM   #67
I wanna be Dave

It's this buggy....one of the craziest guys and videos I've seen. Not too sure if it's wheelin' though....

TIM CAMERON 2011 SHOWTIME COMPILATION - YouTube

Like Devlin said above....as long as it meets the Class 3 specs you should be good to go. I'd love to see it, lots of curvy tube work.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:21 AM   #68
Rock Stacker

Don't think I have ever seen a slow moment in that buggies life.
Old 03-09-2012, 10:59 AM   #69
Pebble Pounder

Is there anything that "needs" to be done to a wraith besides adding scale points. Thanks in advance.
colebz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:45 PM   #70
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by colebz View Post
Is there anything that "needs" to be done to a wraith besides adding scale points. Thanks in advance.
No, it's legal right out of the box. Just add a winch, chassis mounted servo, a driver etc, you should be golden.

Just try and hide any wiring and other electronics to keep it as scale looking as possible.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:09 AM   #71
I wanna be Dave

So the rules to me seem pretty solid and straight forward. But just to make sure I and thinking the same way as they were intended, I figured I would ask a few questions. Hate to drive 20hours just to find out I am way wrong.

Class3
• All bodies (including tubers) must measure a minimum of five inches wide from front to rear of door, measure a minimum of 4.5 inches tall as measured from the skid to the tallest point on the body (including light bars), and must be at least as long as the vehicle's wheelbase.

For Class2 Truggies I see that the rear tube work must extend over the rear pumkin, but for Class3 as long as the total length of the chassis is equal or more than the wheel base you could have the rear axle behind the chassis rails or tubing. ----Did I get that right?

Class2
• Body/cage work must be at least 4.5" tall (including boat sides) and the inside of the front tires cannot extend outside of the width of the cab at the doors.

Saying we count light bars and boat sides into measurements, does that mean anything that mounts to the body will count for the width. Example of what I am thinking would be Jeep style sliders. They mount to the side of the actual body work.

Lastly, everyone pushes CMS as a must but rules read as an option. I only care for my wraith, which i will be running in KOL. It is more of my wife's basher rig and never really saw the need to move it.

Thanks for the help guys.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #72
RCC Addict

So the rules to me seem pretty solid and straight forward. But just to make sure I and thinking the same way as they were intended, I figured I would ask a few questions. Hate to drive 20hours just to find out I am way wrong.

Class3
• All bodies (including tubers) must measure a minimum of five inches wide from front to rear of door, measure a minimum of 4.5 inches tall as measured from the skid to the tallest point on the body (including light bars), and must be at least as long as the vehicle's wheelbase.

For Class2 Truggies I see that the rear tube work must extend over the rear pumkin, but for Class3 as long as the total length of the chassis is equal or more than the wheel base you could have the rear axle behind the chassis rails or tubing. ----Did I get that right?

By the wording yes. Not sure that was the intent when it was debated/created so I would say yes you would be legal.

Saying we count light bars and boat sides into measurements, does that mean anything that mounts to the body will count for the width. Example of what I am thinking would be Jeep style sliders. They mount to the side of the actual body work.

I'll let Tim answer the width. My personal view is that Sliders don't count but Tim has also taken a realistic view in the implementation of the rules. I would not plan to have 5" wide sliders. I know a NB Jeep is right on the edge if you cut off the stock fender flares.

Lastly, everyone pushes CMS as a must but rules read as an option. I only care for my wraith, which i will be running in KOL. It is more of my wife's basher rig and never really saw the need to move it.

CMS is not required only for looks. You can run an axle mount servo in all 3 classes you just do not receive the -5 pts for the CMS. I also would strongly suggest getting as many points as possible on your trucks. When the field is pointed out and everyone is driving within a couple points. If you are missing/leaving any scale points on the table it hurts.

Thanks for the help guys
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #73
I wanna be Dave

I see where ya'll have gone with the rules, and I personally like them. I would not try 5in wide sliders either. Everything needs to be with in proportion of some reasoning. And this midnight pumpkin body is stupid small, but it fits the look I am going for. I love the ability to push the limits, but also knowing that your build could be a real 1:1.
And I agree with you on the servo - for Class1-2-3. But for KOL it just saves my todo list from another item, when it is already full for the next 3 months.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #74
RCC Addict

For KOL I would KISS it. Plan big battery, water for the run you're going to have and pin it....
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:28 PM   #75
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Difuser View Post
For KOL I would KISS it. Plan big battery, water for the run you're going to have and pin it....
That is defiantly the plan. Oh and stupid amounts of power.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:44 PM   #76
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
We count light bars and boatsides into height measurements. The width measurement is to keep people from using tiny 1/12th and 1/14th scale bodies on class 2 scale rigs. It just keeps the body looking scale to the drivetrain and chassis. Now if you used some narrower axles like TLT or RC4WD K44 and some smaller tires, you might be able to get away with the Midnight Pumpkin body in Class 2.

Difuser was right on with all the other answers.

Make sure you ask any more questions if you have them, that's what we are here for.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:55 PM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Difuser was right on with all the other answers.

Make sure you ask any more questions if you have them, that's what we are here for.
I had a feeling thats what it was for, just wanted to make sure I understood it all correctly.
Thanks for all the help, we don't use the rules locally so I am sure I will have more as I go.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:22 PM   #78
I wanna be Dave

My rig is a little different and I am not sure if it would be a class one, or class two rig.

It is a AX-10 on a X-Trail chassis with an extended WB (13.5"). The tires I have on it are too big for class one, but everything else looks like it would fit for class one:

Scott.
Greatscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:20 PM   #79
I wanna be Dave

It looks like you could fit in either 1 or 2 depending what tires you choose to run.

Right now it is a C2 rig due to the tire size you have on there.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 10:34 PM   #80
RCC Addict

What is the Maximum that tires can stick out past the sides of the body and/or fender flares on a Class 2 truck?

Thanks.
Waiting Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote

Vehicle class questions (legality for event) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIRC Trail Class Event 9.25.11 sally1800 Illinois 73 09-27-2011 04:59 AM
Palmer park Event June 26th / 2.2 s and Scaler Class lwb Sami Colorado 34 06-27-2011 02:45 PM
Partial sag vehicle questions Big Rig Crawler General Crawlers 4 06-23-2010 02:48 PM