Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Nationals

Notices

Thread: Vehicle class questions (legality for event)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 04:10 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Vehicle class questions (legality for event)

I thought I would start a thread that would allow people who plan on atendending the event a place to ask questions about there rigs.

Please allow the event organizers/event planners to answer the questions as they pertain to the event. General rig questions not attending can be asked in the SORCCA forum and threads.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Vehicle class questions (legality for event)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan wilson View Post
tim will this pass for class 2 or do i need to move front axle back alittle
Old 01-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Measure from the rear of the chassis to the tip of the front bumper. If it's 3" longer than the wheelbase then you're legal for length. That to me is a borderline class 2/3 rig, but if it meets the SORCCA specs for C2 then run with it. Maybe do some inner fenders on the front to hide all the electronics and wiring?

Build thread?
Old 01-13-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
ok thanks no build thread picked chassis up from nate 08 and rebuilt it .
Quote:

Hard to tell from the pictures, but yeah. Not exactly what I picture when I hear Class 2.

Yeah, like I said......without seeing some other more detailed pictures, I can't answer that.
Quote:

wheel base is 12 overall is at 15.25
Old 01-13-2012, 06:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

thank you sir
VP Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 06:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

No problem, I figured you are not the only one with questions and it is all in the same place it would save folks from hunting and searching. It will most likely answer questions about other rigs with out having to repeat the questions if people can see and read it all in one place.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:17 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinchFlat View Post
So... let's get this out of the way right now. So we are following the 2012 SORCCA rules to a "T" for this event and I can't find in the SORCCA rule anywhere that states we have to run a different vehicle in each class. At MT 2011 we couldn't do this and everyone had to build, buy, borrow or steal 3 separate rigs if they wanted to run all three classes, C1, C2, C3. This really sucked for the guys that are on limited budgets, it is expensive enough to even goto one of these events. Can we run the same rig in multiple classes at this event? Of course as long as it is in spec for the class chosen to run.

I actually have a rig that is easily(not pushing it) legal in C2 that with very little tweaking (mostly tire changing) could run in all three classes... (although my ass would probably get totally handed to me in Super class.)
...I would love to see Wyoming run one of his kick ass CC-01s in all 3 classes...

Quote:

As far as running one truck on multiple courses. I talked to Ripplinger tonight and we agreed that we will allow people to run one truck in two classes but not in all three. If you want to run all three classes, you must bring at least two vehicles. This will allow some people that don't have as much money to come and compete.

Sound fair?
Old 01-13-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Hey...looks like Devlin had some extra time this afternoon.

Dan, do you have a picture of the "boatsides" that I can see. Also, does it have a "c" channel frame?
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 07:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Hey...looks like Devlin had some extra time this afternoon.

Dan, do you have a picture of the "boatsides" that I can see. Also, does it have a "c" channel frame?
will get a pic of boat sides up soon and yes it has axial frame rails that end right past trans mount
Old 01-13-2012, 08:07 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Old 01-13-2012, 08:08 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Old 01-13-2012, 08:30 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Humm I've seen a few other pictures from the old socrra page and dan's rig has me confused about the 3" deal. i don't see 3 inches over the frame length. But before I go and build another rig these two run 1.9's. The ftoy could get away with 2.2's but would prefer to drive my bug.

Bug rear tires are over by 1 1/8 front about 3/8 over. 11 3/4 wheel base
Ftoy rear tires are 5/8 over front 5/8 12 3/4 total wheel base

So it needs to be 3" less than frame length to qualify for c2

I think I have the same rig covered for c1 and c2 Lances jk which he said he ran in both classes.

fvrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:41 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

is that bug body wide enough? it looks its not from the pics but they are not really at a good angle..
sloppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 09:57 AM   #14
RCC Addict

3" less than overall body length
Like Sloppy said you look like your close to being too narrow at the doors
Difuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Just to be clear I'm not trying to build a "cheater" rig. This is my favorite rig I've owned and if it fits I'm going to run it instead of having to build another rig for c3

My buddy built a rig for what he thought was c2 but after seeing everything there it was almost a c1

So is this what this rule means? I just put a ruler to the inside of the tire and it's inside the fender. Sorry for these questions but we're not use to these rules

• Body/cage work must be at least 4.5" tall (including boat sides) and the inside of the front tires cannot extend outside of the width of the cab at the doors.

Sorry, don't know why I can't get it to rotate

Then this measurement really doesn't matter ?

Again I wouldn't have brought either of these rigs up but seeing a few truggy like rigs in the old q&a thread that may fit into c2 I have to ask to make sure I don't have to leave these two rigs at home.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

It looks like you are just fine for the body muesurment at the doors in relation to the front tires. The muesurment at the A pillars doesnt matter.

Is this rig full on tube, or is there a frame rail in there somewhere ?

The body, including bumpers needs to be 3" longer than your wheelbase. Stingers,d-rings,etc.. do not count in this requirment.

Build thread ? ( I couldnt find one) or naked shots would help.

Side note : I love the bug..... doing my best to get my VW thing ready for this one

Last edited by hotwheels000; 01-14-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:24 PM   #17
RCC Addict

What are the requirements for a class 3 frame? If its basically a tuber with a lexan blazer body is that legal or do I need some type of straight frame rails in there somewhere? Keep in mind the tube frame work is just as wide as the body but it does not have frame rails per say??
FRENCHBLUE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 12:30 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Im part of team slow azz builders so no build threads for me right now im 1.5" over so it would throw everything way off to work right shortening it by 4". Thanks for clearing this up, I would have loved to bring this on a road trip like this. Have more interest in this event with some more guys locally so will probably be talking to them more about it tomorrow @ our 1st challenge.

Sent from my new phone using tapatalk.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRENCHBLUE72 View Post
What are the requirements for a class 3 frame? If its basically a tuber with a lexan blazer body is that legal or do I need some type of straight frame rails in there somewhere? Keep in mind the tube frame work is just as wide as the body but it does not have frame rails per say??

Class-3 “Modified” Details:
• 146mm / 5.75" max tire size with a 2.2 max rim size (including spare).
• A bumper is not required, but to be counted for points it must be mounted to the vehicle's chassis and wider than the the chassis rails (chassis cross rails do not count as bumpers).
• Gates will be a minimum of 13" wide.
• All bodies (including tubers) must measure a minimum of five inches wide from front to rear of door, measure a minimum of 4.5 inches tall as measured from the skid to the tallest point on the body (including light bars), and must be at least as long as the vehicle's wheelbase.
• Body modifications including, but not limited to, pinched front, dove-tailing and boat-siding are permitted as long as the final dimensions comply with the minimum size rules.

Highlghted in GREEN, no ladder frame rail requirments for C3

The "tuber" or body does need to be as long as your wheelbase

Last edited by hotwheels000; 01-14-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:53 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrr View Post
Im part of team slow azz builders so no build threads for me right now im 1.5" over so it would throw everything way off to work right shortening it by 4". Thanks for clearing this up, I would have loved to bring this on a road trip like this. Have more interest in this event with some more guys locally so will probably be talking to them more about it tomorrow @ our 1st challenge.

Sent from my new phone using tapatalk.
It looks to me like you are over 3" if you include the front and rear bumpers. That is assuming you have a bumper on the rear cage work. Remember bumpers just need to be wider than the frame rails to count, so it would be easy to add if needed. And, the 3" is overall, so it can be spread out between the front and rear for a total of 3" longer than wheelbase.

Still wondering if you have frame rails, if not, it would be a c3 rig as tubers are not allowed in C2. Although truggies are,and truggy does not necesarily mean it is a truck,it is more on the build style and design rather than physical appearance of the body.

Sure would love to see you run this rig no matter what class, even if you had to make a few mods it would be cool to see out on the trails.

Vehicle class questions (legality for event) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIRC Trail Class Event 9.25.11 sally1800 Illinois 73 09-27-2011 04:59 AM
Palmer park Event June 26th / 2.2 s and Scaler Class lwb Sami Colorado 34 06-27-2011 02:45 PM
Partial sag vehicle questions Big Rig Crawler General Crawlers 4 06-23-2010 02:48 PM