Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Competitions and Events > Scale Nationals

Notices

Thread: Vehicle class questions (legality for event)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 08:14 AM   #81
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Vehicle class questions (legality for event)

• Body/cage work must be at least 4.5" tall (including boat sides)

and the inside of the front tires cannot extend outside of the width of the cab at the doors.

I remember seeing this rig at one of the local events,sure do like that body as a scale rig.

Last edited by hotwheels000; 06-22-2012 at 08:18 AM.
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2012, 11:23 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

are drop bed points available for tubers? it doesnt say it isnt available for tubers like other items.

my idea is to cut the middle out of this tin panel to the tailgate section. the drop bed would be as deep as the tuber chassis.
wheelinjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:25 AM   #83
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelinjp View Post
are drop bed points available for tubers? it doesnt say it isnt available for tubers like other items.

my idea is to cut the middle out of this tin panel to the tailgate section. the drop bed would be as deep as the tuber chassis.
I don't think you can have a drop bed if there isn't a bed to begin with. Maybe a 3D cargo area for -1?

What do you think Devlin?
War Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 12:58 AM   #84
Quarry Creeper

Seems right to me Tim!
killerax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 01:22 AM   #85
Quarry Creeper

damn it. it has side fenders too. they just arent on. but they are panels not one piece. since we are looking at this truck, if the front clip and doors were a mangler hardbody and all one piece wouldnt that be concidered a hard body cab? just clerifying before I waste money finding one. also is there a clerification of how much of an engine is concidered 3d and does it have to have access(opening hood). I know you were kinda balking at the one in the white truggy I brought to or. vs wa.
Old 06-28-2012, 02:27 AM   #86
Quarry Creeper

If it has a roof and pillars then yes its a hard body cab, otherwise no( correct me if I'm wrong Tim). And how to tell that you have a 3d engine if the hood doesn't open, seems weird, everyone could say they have one if there's no way to check lol and I think it has to have a block and what not. There's a cool chrome one at toys r us in the cars movie section for 5 bucks.
killerax10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 08:55 AM   #87
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
damn it. it has side fenders too. they just arent on. but they are panels not one piece. since we are looking at this truck, if the front clip and doors were a mangler hardbody and all one piece wouldnt that be concidered a hard body cab? just clerifying before I waste money finding one. also is there a clerification of how much of an engine is concidered 3d and does it have to have access(opening hood). I know you were kinda balking at the one in the white truggy I brought to or. vs wa.
If the front clip is one piece then yes it would be considered a hardbody cab, it's when they are pieces and bolt on individually that it gets dicey.

That plastic panel you had at Lucia is really iffy. Yes you need an opening hood to get 3D engine points, unless you can see all of the engine without opening the hood.
Old 06-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #88
I wanna be Dave

I would give drop bed points for that rig, no different than a tube bed in that structure, You could just call it a tube bed with a internal cage for all that matters. YOU ARE NOT TRYING TIO CHEAT THE RULES>>>>> and that is what is important

Roof is not required for a harbody wether is be full or half...

If you say you have a 3d motor, I will believe you unless there is a reason not to Not all motors are under the "hood"
Old 06-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #89
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
I would give drop bed points for that rig, no different than a tube bed in that structure, You could just call it a tube bed with a internal cage for all that matters. YOU ARE NOT TRYING TIO CHEAT THE RULES>>>>> and that is what is important

Roof is not required for a harbody wether is be full or half...

If you say you have a 3d motor, I will believe you unless there is a reason not to Not all motors are under the "hood"
Except that the rules say "tube bed points not available to tubers", so if there isn't a tube bed or any bed for that matter, how can you get drop bed points?

Devlin is correct, no roof required for hardbody points. Hood, fenders and doors all one piece.

I'd disagree on the "if you say it's there I'll believe you" if your getting -4 points for something, I'm going to be damn sure I can see it.
Old 06-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #90
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Pig View Post
Except that the rules say "tube bed points not available to tubers", so if there isn't a tube bed or any bed for that matter, how can you get drop bed points?

Devlin is correct, no roof required for hardbody points. Hood, fenders and doors all one piece.

I'd disagree on the "if you say it's there I'll believe you" if your getting -4 points for something, I'm going to be damn sure I can see it.
i agree with you on the drop bed issue tim. In fact I shouldnt have asked since I now remember denying a club member points because it was in a tuber. Now on the 3d engine I wouldnt see an issue if someone has one under an un-opening hood if I can see it at tech and it is solidly mounted. if the owner can show me at tech I would allow it. if I do a 3d engine though you will see it for sure. it is a crazy ratrod so the carb should be taller than the roof.
Old 06-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #91
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
it is a crazy ratrod so the carb should be taller than the roof.
You been in my head? I swear your talking about my rig. lol This year is gonna be neat bc there seems to be alot of hotrods, but only a couple rat rods.

And while we are on the subject......
Most ratrods I have seen do not have front fenders or a hood. So without these it might as well be counted as "pinched front end". But the rules say you can only pinch 2/3 the width of the body.
Will i be good with my grill (which will be hard mounted to the front of the frame rails) being in complince with that 2/3? I have other ideas but would like to stick to this one.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #92
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I would agree by that wording in the rules. I answered on the fly without reading the actual rule again. Shame on me I was just trying to make sure that we keep this fun and not a big ole discusion on details....There are a lot of areas that are not spelled out and kinda open and vague. That is a GOOD thing, as long as the rules are not being cheated. I can think of so many examples of confusing situations with current and past rigs that I figured being a bit loose was better than being a hard ass.

My comment on the engine was also a little lack in definition on purpose, of coarse I will look, as would any tech judge, just not going to rip a guys rig apart or call them out if there is no reason to justify the action.

I guess, bottom line is if you are questioning the legality of a certain mod, there is probably a reason for your concern and you most likely have answered your own question already

Last edited by hotwheels000; 06-28-2012 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:36 PM   #93
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
You been in my head? I swear your talking about my rig. lol This year is gonna be neat bc there seems to be alot of hotrods, but only a couple rat rods.

And while we are on the subject......
Most ratrods I have seen do not have front fenders or a hood. So without these it might as well be counted as "pinched front end". But the rules say you can only pinch 2/3 the width of the body.
Will i be good with my grill (which will be hard mounted to the front of the frame rails) being in complince with that 2/3? I have other ideas but would like to stick to this one.

I see your concern, but if you havent pinched anything how can it be considered as such. I will use my C2 rig as an example,

The fenders are removed, they actually go all the way to the grill on this 1:1 The hood doesnt exist but if it were there it would not have been cut at all, it was just removed and there is no call out for a hood in C2.The grill hasnt been narrowed either...so no "pinch"

C1 calls out mild trimming so removing the hood/fenders might be a bit much for that class. The rule for C2 requires a ratio at the doors in comparison to your tires on the inside edge along with a choice of 2 of the three items being allowed( pinch,boatside ,dovetail) and C3 is just a 5" wide at the doors.

This was my last years C1, had I removed the fenders it would have not met the rules, but C2 and C3 it would have been fine. Same style "full width fenders" With narrow "grill" as the hot rod, just built for the proper class.

Fit your build in the proper class and you are good to go !!

Hope that helps

Last edited by hotwheels000; 06-28-2012 at 07:47 PM.
Old 06-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #94
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
My comment on the engine was also a little lack in definition on purpose, of coarse I will look as would any tech judge, just not going to rip a guys rig apart or call them out if there is no reason to justify the action.

I guess, bottom line is if you are questioning the legality of a certain mod, there is probably a reason for your concern and you most likely have answered your own question already
my point with the engine is: if you want points you need to be willing to show it at tech, not rely on your word. I would lift my front clip to show a motor. I also wouldnt expect a tech inspector to have to dismantle anything. if we dont ask here then we might get called on it at the comp. Id rather ask now than when it is too late. that is the purpose of this thread guys so make sure and get this clarification now. There have been a couple questionable things Ive seen that I dont agree are legal that Ive found out are ok to do.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:20 PM   #95
I wanna be Dave

Ask away, thats what the thread is for
Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #96
I wanna be Dave

OK - so removing all together is not considered a pinch. There still might be more question but I am willing to build around the rules. Thats the point right? lol
And the more I dig into the rules - I must say.... Y'all did a really good job. I did alot of 1:1 competing in England, which is far different from here. The classes there match RC class 1-2-3 pretty close. Only thing some of the Euro 1:1 comps do alittle different is a handicap system.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #97
I wanna be Dave

Devlin is our handicap system.....
Old 06-28-2012, 10:05 PM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Devlin is our handicap system.....
Be nice to me piggy, you might hurt my feelings
Old 06-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #99
RCC Addict

I have a solution for the with up front as compared to the cab, smaller hubs on the Mayhem Monsters and fender flares will make it legal. Now, what do you guys think of the Unimog bed? LMK!
Attached Images

Waiting Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 08:14 AM   #100
I wanna be Dave

C2 ^^^^^^^ ???????????

Vehicle class questions (legality for event) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NIRC Trail Class Event 9.25.11 sally1800 Illinois 73 09-27-2011 04:59 AM
Palmer park Event June 26th / 2.2 s and Scaler Class lwb Sami Colorado 34 06-27-2011 02:45 PM
Partial sag vehicle questions Big Rig Crawler General Crawlers 4 06-23-2010 02:48 PM