Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Project Bula Buster

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2005, 11:56 PM   #41
Quarry Creeper

Default Fixed my torque roll !!!!!

I've been putting a ton of miles on TLT "Buster" lately and he's crawling great, 1st and 2nd in his last two crawls!! But I've always had a problem with torque roll. In the last crawl I rolled twice because of it. I also wind up 3-wheeling all the steep climbs. The torque roll holds the front right tire up in the air.

I tried a progressive spring on the left rear shock, helped a little. I'm not a big fan of tire foams, but some hacked ones in the rear tires helped keep them from flopping around. Moving the upper links down 10mm on the chassis helped too, but still too much roll. Next I moved the upper shock mounts 20mm up and 20mm back, BINGO !!! The old location gave the axle too much leverage on the shocks. In their new location the shocks hold the axle square on all but the steepest inclines, yet allow full articulation when needed. I left the front the same, I like the softer feel up front.

azvader is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2005, 07:07 AM   #42
Rock Stacker

nice.As if it wasnt hard to beat before, you have to go and fix its only flaw.lol.
one2crawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 03:11 PM   #43
Quarry Creeper

Default Buster gets some Jato's

I finally got my hands on some Jato drive shafts. My steel Pede u-joints fit right on the new Jato's. They work GREAT and look COOL !!! Like mini Revos.

The stock length worked perfect for the front.

I had to stretch the rear 10mm but they're as easy to lengthen as pede sliders.

Old 10-11-2005, 04:08 PM   #44
Quarry Creeper

Default Broke my first axle stub!!

I have had almost no problems with my TLT axles. I done several comps and get togethers with no problems, until last comp. I was getting front wheel stall !!??! I knew that couldn't happen so there had to be a problem.

Old 10-11-2005, 05:20 PM   #45
Rock Stacker

yuck
Turboduck01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 06:39 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Wow, thats nasty. Are those wideners you have on there.
rckjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2005, 08:38 PM   #47
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rckjeep
Wow, thats nasty. Are those wideners you have on there.
You should see the inside of the knuckle!!

I've been running INETs so I can swap wheels with my 2.2 Clod. If this becomes a problem I'll have to ditch the wideners and change to new wheels. I sure they add some stress to the axle but I thought they'ed bend not blow out. Also these are from a TG-10 (nitro sedan) I thought they'ed hold up better.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:56 PM   #48
Pebble Pounder

ive seen this truck up close it is on slick ride!
mesaAZclod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 02:00 AM   #49
Quarry Creeper

Default Buster makes a new friend

I took Buster for a crawl today and look who he found.

He's hard to see but check the middle right of the picture. I walked past him a couple of times and never saw him!!
Old 10-14-2005, 06:03 AM   #50
Rock Crawler

Yeah, Mitch told me about that last night. I had to stare at the pic for about 5 min. before I saw it Their natural camo. is amazing.
WRMorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2005, 01:01 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by azvader

He's hard to see but check the middle right of the picture. I walked past him a couple of times and never saw him!!
Your lucky you didn't get bit!
LIKES2CRAWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 12:46 AM   #52
Quarry Creeper

Default It Blowed Up Real Good!!!

Well I haven't posted in a while but that's because Buster was running like a champ. I finished well most of Oct-Dec but the new year was a whole other story. I had a near miss late in the year when the trans started acted like it needed an o-haul, it did.

All seemed well until both axles cut loose at the last comp. I finished the first run with one-wheel-drive!!! Three of four axle shafts blew their heads off.

I decided to take advantage of some free time and give Buster a tune-up. With the trans o-hauled and the axle shaft arriving from Tamiya, I dug up a fresh set of kicks, some doner rims and started working.

I'd been running the O.G. axle shafts for about 9-months, no problems. I'd heard the new MaxClimber ones where larger, they are 3.75mm compared to 3.10mm !!! This also gave me a chance to replace my front axle case. It's been cracked and repaired once but this last beakage did it in.

Next up tires and wheels.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:12 AM   #53
Quarry Creeper

Default Tires and Wheels

I've been running on a set of half worn tires for months and now it's time to change them out. This may sound easy but not my way.

First, I don't like any wheel width/offset currently avalible, so I have to make my own. I wanted something narrow and I wanted to eliminate the INET wideners i've been using. I took some front Pede rims and cut them 5mm past the hex (removing the excess and build the edge for the bead to rest on wasn't easy. Then I used just the bead and mounted the outside edge flush with the hex. I reinforced the bead with some hot glue and drilled a 3/16" breather hole. They came out to 39mm.

Next was the foams, I hate cutting them. I run a half foam in each front just to give the outer wall a little extra support. I cone them so the weights can move freely. I like the spiked collars for the rears.

Last but not least, swaping the rock rings. Forty-eight tiny little screws later and we're done !!!

Old 02-09-2006, 08:01 AM   #54
Rock Crawler

Well done. Looks sharp. Me likes your flying saucer front foams
Gimbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 12:02 AM   #55
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimbal
Well done. Looks sharp. Me likes your flying saucer front foams
The saucers work great in the fronts. They hold up the outer sidewall just enough but still let the weights flow freely around the tire.
Old 02-10-2006, 09:51 AM   #56
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by azvader

Cool little truck...I assume that it's a Rattlesnake...but I still don't see it...little help please...
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:24 AM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Sweet looking rig! Love the Baja Bug body!
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #58
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog
Cool little truck...I assume that it's a Rattlesnake...but I still don't see it...little help please...
Never mind...whoa! Crap! That little Rattler is more difficult to see than those that I've come across. Guess it was your lucky day that you didn't piss him off...
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 09:17 PM   #59
Rock Crawler

Nice looking truck. It looks like it hugs the rocks real well too.

It took me forever to see the snake in the picture. Damn you were lucky. Did you get any closer than that with Buster before you noticed the snake?
gone_wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 08:58 PM   #60
Quarry Creeper

Default Hand Wound a 50 Turn Motor Today

Like most of us, I've been using a lathe motor in my TLT. It is the perfect match for PEDE trans, hi-torque and low RPMs. The transmission I built for Buster is alot lower geared than a one from a PEDE. This makes for too much torque ( 3-blasted axle stubs worth ) and too low a ground speed. If I could just get a 45-50t motor that would trade the extra torque for extra speed. I know Integy make 45, 55, 65t motors but as usual they're out. There's a BIG comp for us this weekend, what to do !??!?

I saw a post about how to wind your own motors. It's a GREAT post and made a seemingly hard job easy. I sacraficed a beautiful 19t EPIC motor for the can and endbell ( I've always hated those cheesy stocker cans ) and an armature from an old handwound something. Radio Shack had the epoxy wire cheap. I used the 26 gauge ( green ) wire and started winding.

The harder part was finding an armature I could rewind. The EPIC armature that came with the can I used was machine wound, but more importantly, machine crimped. The posts on the commutater were so smashed and fused that they were unusable. After digging through tons of old motors I found a unlabled motor with a hand wound armature. It's post could be reused. My dad tipped me off that achohol thins epoxy which made securing the winds down a snap. I only had 5-minute stuff but that just meant I was test crawling that much sooner.

It works great !!!!! I still have plenty of torque, I think a 45t would be perfect but I have to find 24 gauge epoxy-coated wire first.