Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Problems after problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2007, 06:40 PM   #61
Quarry Creeper

Ok so lets say its my tires just for giggle's here. Then answer this here.

Why did the guy I run with break a pinion on 2.2 mashers? Wiped the teeth right off. I know for a fact his onyl had 3 or 4 packs through it when it broke. doesnt have dig capability at all

RXcrawler posted him and someone else and breaking pinion shafts.

Brushless nut posted he broke some of this stuff.

I broke a pinion with M2k's and very little wieght.

I'm just asking is all. I mean since its my tires and all in every post.

BTW yet another Lipo pack run with NO breakage on STOCK diffs with the molands

Anyones name I used here sorry if it bothers you but I took the info right from this thread. If you want it removed PM me and I'll edit my post.
rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #62
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

Maybe RCP should reduce the temper on the items a bit. Softer might turn out to be better.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 06:42 PM   #63
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
X2. I have about one year's crawling on my stock ring and pinions shimmed with Moab 2.2s, 45T lathe, 7.2 nimh, stampede tranny and I'm not easy on it. I've broken several stock axle shafts and that's about it. I do run the stock slipper and make sure not to bind it up too hard.
I broke 1 stock inner axle shaft EVER due to a knuckle breaking. You must drive like a madman
Old 10-08-2007, 06:48 PM   #64
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
Maybe RCP should reduce the temper on the items a bit. Softer might turn out to be better.
Maybe but would that hurt or help stripping the splines out of the locker? I had that happen to my last one right after putting in a new pinion.

IMHO I dont think just making the pinion out of a stronger material will be the fix. I think the ring gear will be next to fail or the locker itself if it continues out of the same material. SS wont wear as fast as the diff. Once that coating wears off the diff its going to wear fast I would think.
Old 10-08-2007, 09:49 PM   #65

Quote:
I'm pretty sure on the pinions atleast that softer would be worse. The hole in the pinion shaft opens up real quick.
RXcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 09:53 PM   #66
Quarry Creeper

I wasnt thinking of that but yeah all mine are twisted there as well except 1 which wasnt in long enough before the teeth peeled off
Old 10-09-2007, 12:15 PM   #67
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Interesting concept.......May explain why stock parts usually die a slower death, and the upgrades just GO when its their time

I would still run a slipper because no matter how strong the parts are.....with power thats now being run through these trucks something has to give
Fishmaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 02:03 PM   #68
I wanna be Dave

We would like to know if anyone else has had a problem with the splines in the locker or if they have stripped any teeth. As far as we know this is the only instance out of hundreds sold.

Last edited by Rockpiledriver; 10-09-2007 at 04:44 PM.
Rockpiledriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 04:19 PM   #69
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
We would like to know if anyone else has had a problem with the slines in the locker or if they have stripped any teeth. As far as we know this is the only instance out of hundreds sold.
I am sure you would have heard something if this was a wide spread problem.

people arent too shy about posting up carnage here.
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 05:21 PM   #70
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
We would like to know if anyone else has had a problem with the splines in the locker or if they have stripped any teeth. As far as we know this is the only instance out of hundreds sold.
I'll send it back to you guys if you want to look at it. It never made any noise or anything, just was 3wd all of a sudden. I've looked inside it and the splines are basicly gone onthe short side. It was in the front axle and when I removed the the CVD shaft it had peice's of spline still on it. The diff was used for awhile. I think I ran 2 pinions on it.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:29 PM   #71
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktoy View Post
I'll send it back to you guys if you want to look at it. It never made any noise or anything, just was 3wd all of a sudden. I've looked inside it and the splines are basicly gone onthe short side. It was in the front axle and when I removed the the CVD shaft it had peice's of spline still on it. The diff was used for awhile. I think I ran 2 pinions on it.
No need I saw the pics. Just trying to determine if this is an isolated incident.
My guess is the locker you got was bad from the start. Something caused it to stop spinning, that is why the teeth came off.
Old 10-09-2007, 05:39 PM   #72
Quarry Creeper

I can tell you this much. The long side axle was real tight to push into the locker. The short side which stripped went right in. The CVD shaft which broke was the long side also I beleive. I'll check in a few.
Old 10-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #73
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENDER View Post
I can tell part of your problem is the tires you're running, they are too big for TLT axles. How much does your rig weigh? If you're running dig with a heavy rig, you'll break more too.
I was thinkin' the same thing when I saw those photos. Those tires are putting a lot of leverage on the parts that were designed for a tire half that height. Kind of like running really large 1:1 tires on a stock half ton axle. Something has to give...:-(
RAM2500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2007, 10:42 PM   #74
Quarry Creeper

You guys keep saying about tires but theres a few 2.2 tires out there that were 5.5 tall from the manufacturer. This tire isnt much bigger at 5.84.
Old 10-10-2007, 07:14 AM   #75
Pebble Pounder

rcp your awesome....you always take care of me....keep up the good work
lrdraca90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:14 AM   #76
Quarry Creeper

That funny how it got edited to say not the tires fault. Fact still remains all stock parts in the axles but CVD's and no breakage yet

Tell you guys what I'll stick my M2k's back on and run the only RCP diff I have left in and see how long it last's before it pops. My first one broke with 2.2 tires on it.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:48 AM   #77
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Tell you guys what I'll stick my M2k's back on and run the only RCP diff I have left in and see how long it last's before it pops. My first one broke with 2.2 tires on it.
First off I have no idea who change the title or why but I agree it should have been left alone.

Not that you would'nt, but how would we know that you are performing a totally unbiased compairison. How do we know that the ring and pinion you are going to install is 100% new? How do we know the housing is good? Are you planning to videotape the entire thing? Including the installation and however long it takes to make them fail, so we can see what you have done to cause them to fail, and the circumstances surrounding it?

I asked in this thread if anyone besides yourself has had this happen and there has not been a single reply of yes. Does that not tell you anything?
I'd like to add again that out of the HUNDREDS of lockers shipped this is THE ONLY ONE THAT THIS HAS HAD THE SPLINES OR THE TEETH FAIL.

We have gone out of our way to make you happy here. We have offered not only to replace anything broken, but we have even offered you a full refund.
You claim that stock is stronger, so tell me why then you want us to replace the broken locker and not refund you for it? It seems now that all you are interested in is proving that you are right and everyone else is wrong at the expense of our reputation. :-(
Old 10-10-2007, 02:11 PM   #78
Quarry Creeper

Actually I havent asked for anything else since the locker failed. Yeah I contacted you guys after parts broke. Yeah you guys sent me CVD parts and 2 pinions. NO ONE EVER offered me my money back though and I wouldnt take it either. I was offered a set of SS pinions when they come out and that was the last I had any contact with you guys. Maybe you have the wrong guy.

I dont have a problem with you guys at all. I'm sure not trying to drag your name through the mud although it might seem that way. You guys make and sell some kick *** stuff. Hell I'm still running my CVD's up front cause lets face it they turn further and with the chassis I got from you guys I have the clearance to go full lock with no interference. Yeah one CVD broke but thats part of the game. They have been awesome so far. BUT 1 broke thats it. If I broke parts once in a great while thats fine and quiet honestly expected.

Look at it from my point of veiw. I had stock diffs and they lasted a dam long time. Since I upgraded I seem to be breaking more frequently. Then I went to bigger tire after that and surprise still broke. No I have all stock parts and it holding for now. Who knows how long it will last. At this point its kinda a experiment isnt it cause none of us know?

So if you upgraded stuff and it broke wouldnt you be just a bit bent? I was pissed when it happened but thats about it. I dont blame you guys, I'm trying to figure it out though why it broke and the only comparison I have is with stock parts. I never threw you guys under the bus here. Matter of fact I posted I wasnt bitching about you guys. Problems after problems

Hell guys I'd still buy from you. I'm trying to figure out a problem not talk crap about you. It makes no sense to me either trust me.

Last edited by rocktoy; 10-10-2007 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-10-2007, 02:17 PM   #79
Quarry Creeper

BTW I was with a guy when his teeth came off one of your pinions so I'm obviously not the only one. Maybe he's the one you offered money back to
Old 10-10-2007, 04:00 PM   #80
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
BTW I was with a guy when his teeth came off one of your pinions so I'm obviously not the only one. Maybe he's the one you offered money back to
I do understand your frustration, trust me. But it does seem like an isolated incident, and anything can fail if exposed to conditions that it was not designed to handle.

I was told we did offer you a refund, either way, the offer still stands. I think you have been given several valid reasons here why this happened. But it does seem like you want to prove a point. The only point I see you trying to show is that stock parts are stronger than our stuff. I myself, through extensive testing, and most of the people whom have posted in this thread would agree that our parts are superior to stock in strength. Again, you are the only one who has infromed us of this problem. If you know of another person could you please have them contact us? We have heard of none.

I'd like to add one more thing. The National Champion credited not only his West Coast Nationals win to the strength of our ring and pinion, but also his National victory. He was telling us that the stock parts were not lasting more than 15 minutes in his rig. Quite the contrary to your experience.

Last edited by Rockpiledriver; 10-10-2007 at 04:10 PM.