Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Heritage Crawlers > Tamiya TLT Crawlers

Notices

Thread: Problems after problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2007, 04:22 PM   #81
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocktoy View Post
BTW I was with a guy when his teeth came off one of your pinions so I'm obviously not the only one. Maybe he's the one you offered money back to
Were you driving his rig when this happened? Seems like you are the Grim Reaper of R&P's. Stay away from Cincinnati, I like my teeth just where they are.

Sure it wasn't the tires?
mrpink is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2007, 05:43 PM   #82
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpink View Post
Were you driving his rig when this happened? Seems like you are the Grim Reaper of R&P's. Stay away from Cincinnati, I like my teeth just where they are.

Sure it wasn't the tires?
I wasnt driving it I was driving my own

He runs M2k's on his rig.
rocktoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 07:08 PM   #83
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockpiledriver View Post
I do understand your frustration, trust me. But it does seem like an isolated incident, and anything can fail if exposed to conditions that it was not designed to handle.

I was told we did offer you a refund, either way, the offer still stands. I think you have been given several valid reasons here why this happened. But it does seem like you want to prove a point. The only point I see you trying to show is that stock parts are stronger than our stuff. I myself, through extensive testing, and most of the people whom have posted in this thread would agree that our parts are superior to stock in strength. Again, you are the only one who has infromed us of this problem. If you know of another person could you please have them contact us? We have heard of none.

I'd like to add one more thing. The National Champion credited not only his West Coast Nationals win to the strength of our ring and pinion, but also his National victory. He was telling us that the stock parts were not lasting more than 15 minutes in his rig. Quite the contrary to your experience.
I went out crawling with the other guy that broke one tonight. He said he E-mailed you guys and you guys mailed him back that you wont be sending anymore out till the new ones come out. He did however say you did offer him a refund. I know he wasnt happy though when I mentioned it.

Read through the thread one post on the first page someone posted they broke 2 pinion shafts and his friend broke one. Same part different spot, actually I would think the teeth would be weaker than the shaft unless it broke at the hole. End result part still failed. Actually if I remember correctly he said you guys gave him a new one at Nat's when it broke.

Prove a point your dam right now. All I heard was its your driving,tires, brushless bla bla bla since the thread started. The only thing I've read that was sensable was from JRH and that was after I started running stock stuff again. True anything can fail in conditions if exposed to conditions its not designed to handle which is part of why I swapped stock stuff back in. I would think it would have failed very fast but hasnt yet. Why not, hell who knows. It could be cause the metal gives a bit. It could be I got a few bad parts and am unlucky. I'm still going to update this thread though. Cause now its a dam experiment to see just how long this stuff last's running larger tires.

Anyway I havent asked for anymore parts. I'll even state I dont want a refund, chalk it up to **** happens. You guys did send me a new set of CVD's once which you really didnt have to. I wouldnt have even asked if it wasnt that I posted on here and was told to contact you guys. IF you guys want when the new R+P come out let me know. I'd like a chance to run them but you dont have to give me jack back. Its not like the title of this post was RCP sucks guys. I'm not trying to make you look bad at all.

Sorry guys but I dont care about the national championship. I competed once and it was cool and different. There isnt a consistant comp series near me so I never cared. The one comp I went to took almost 2 hours to get there and a bit over 3 to get home. Congrats the winner whoever it was though. I'm sure they deserved it

And now to further update this thread. I checked out a new spot tonight. Cool for a super maybe but not a 2.2. Dam if I didnt walk a mile to not wheel though. Super tight rocks with little holes all over. Long story short bound a wheel into a rock and didnt really see it was bound. Popped a stock rear shaft at the neck down trying to work it out. I had a good hour of run time up there as well. Was deffinitly pushing what a rig should do up there.

So that leaves off so far with a broken stock shaft. Shaft has been in my rig for along time and was gotten in a used set of axles when I started.

Guess whoever changed the thread name changed it back....

Last edited by rocktoy; 10-10-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:07 PM   #84
Pebble Pounder

could you post some pics of your rig without the body on or the tires

just to geta look at the geometry ????
3Samudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 07:45 PM   #85
Quarry Creeper

Yeah I'll get some then. Anything specific you want to see?
Old 10-11-2007, 08:13 PM   #86
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Yeah I'll get some then. Anything specific you want to see?
BACON! Just some good body off shots.

Last edited by Natedog; 10-11-2007 at 08:16 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007, 11:06 PM   #87
Rock Crawler

Your from Allentown I see.

I'm only about an hour and a half northwest of there.

The terrain is pretty brutal I will admit in my part of Pa. Theres alot of stuff where wheelspeed is key and I know that a 55t Lathe or similar RPM motor WOULD NOT make it up ~40%~ percent of the obstacles around here unless geared way up. Reason for this is because alot of the terrain is just a variety of things you'd find in the woods rather than nice smooooth (grippy) rocks you may find out west or waaay north of here. I get mud, dirt, gravel, tree stump, moss, sticks, you name it, all mixed in with the rocks around here. Tires won't hook up with LOW rpms in this stuff.

Anyway, how fast are you spinning your treads? I know that when I get em all spinning then they grab, it puts quite the workout on my driveline due to the higher RPMs of my setup. Still got plenty of torque to twist shafts too.
Hildy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 05:03 AM   #88
Pebble Pounder

side view
top view
upper link mount structure at axle

maybe some thing will pop up.....truck looks good and you've got all the right stuff
3Samudra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 07:46 PM   #89
Quarry Creeper

I'll get some pics up tomorrow guys. I been working like crazy and am beat.

Hildy where I run isnt typical PA terrain. Some pics here

Problems after problems
Old 10-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #90
RCC Addict

Man that looks like a place you should have a comp at.

Would you ever consider trying a slipper with your current set up?
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 05:07 PM   #91
Quarry Creeper

Why run a slipper? Kinda defeats having a disco trans? Granted its not hooked up now but it will be when I get time to mess with it again.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:28 PM   #92
RCC Addict

Quote:
Why run a slipper? Kinda defeats having a disco trans? Granted its not hooked up now but it will be when I get time to mess with it again.

oops my bad.

I will insert my own foot in own mouth .
PROTOTYPE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 10:06 PM   #93
Quarry Creeper

Any other pics you guys want let me know. Yeah yeah I know my battery is mounted in the chassis and my electornic's look like crap Eventually it will get changed Onyl thing changed since the pics is the rear link mount and upper links. Pinion is actually lower now than before but will get turned up a bit yet.

Last edited by rocktoy; 10-13-2007 at 10:09 PM.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #94
RCC Addict

well while at the midwest comp, i broke a rcp copper pinion gear. I am running a 50t hand wound motor and broke it on the third course. I had a good run on that course and then that caused me to DNF which forced me to place 15th.

yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 06:11 PM   #95
Quarry Creeper

That sucks man and I can relate. My last pinion broke on me messing around between course's. I got lucky and ran the 3rd with teeth missing and still placed 3rd overall. I could have done better with full 4wd though

How long did that thing hang in there?
Old 10-16-2007, 06:50 PM   #96
RCC Addict

that was the second comp that it had been the truck for. i ran it at one other comp but it didnt get to run for no more than 15 minutes due to electrical issues I was having. This time I drove about 2/3 of the 1st course until i took a nasty tumble and pointed out. then it drove the entire second course just fine and then it only lasted two or three gates on the third course. It didnt last at all. I have had stock tlt pinions last longer with brushless too
yukon635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:08 PM   #97
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by yukon635 View Post
that was the second comp that it had been the truck for. i ran it at one other comp but it didnt get to run for no more than 15 minutes due to electrical issues I was having. This time I drove about 2/3 of the 1st course until i took a nasty tumble and pointed out. then it drove the entire second course just fine and then it only lasted two or three gates on the third course. It didnt last at all. I have had stock tlt pinions last longer with brushless too
Same thing I been finding just I had the teeth come apart. All but one of my pinions were deformed around the hole. The one that didnt deform had 2 hours time on it.

BTW another full lipo run through the truck with my stock stuff. I replaced that shaft that broke with another stocker.

Oh and I put a set of RL's on it for kicks. Hated it and the molands went right back on. Didnt last 10 minutes with the RL's on it I did notice the RL's are not much shorter though although they are much narrower.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:58 AM   #98
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Abusive picutres are herehttp://imageevent.com/cc89iroc/1072007?n=0 hit slide show and enjoy. Sorry pics arent the best. Hard to dirve with your left hand and take pics with the right.
Wow nice crawlin spot with great scenery and nice photography. I still wouldn't run a tire that tall on TLT axles and dont' see a need for it imo. We have similiar terrain some places here that I've crawled.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 11:34 AM   #99
Quarry Creeper

Obviously some people are seeing a need for them though. 1 of my friends just ordered some Jordans and I've been asked by others about making them after seeing them work. I measured them last night for giggle's. 5 9/16's tall. I didnt bother measuring width. Honestly Red rocks in 2.2 are supposed to be 5.5 tall, the new RC4wd tires are supposed to be 5.5 tall. I really dont think this thing with bigger tires will go away.

Have you tried running a tire like this ever? The benifit's are obvious once you try them.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #100
Rock Crawler

trust me once you see those tires run, you might want some. I did. i just couldn't convince roktoy to make me a set. Last comp we had one section that was mostly side hilling and his rig was the only one from our half of rigs that made it. they are pretty sweet! just to darn $$$$
marzzz23 is offline   Reply With Quote