Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Robbobs LCC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 09:06 PM   #161
Custom Carbon Fiber

so some shots of it all together

and some things I havent had to carry for quite some time now

I kicked the rear axle up a bit to help with the prop shaft clearance and the bent links

no touchy here

and a little battery tray

Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #162
Rock Crawler

Looks like alot of hard work is starting to payoff, cant wait to hear your thoughts after some tuning and wheel time
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:17 PM   #163
Custom Carbon Fiber

some clearance shots .........

at ride height

dropped out

complete and ready to roll ........

dont have a protractor but got a little bit more then just the standard 20* now

and now some new weights ..........

Rear = 589g

Front = 735g

Overall = 1337g

So for the front I shaved 60grams ......... for the rear I shaved 7grams and overall I took off 46grams .............

I took the truck out Thursday night for its virgin run and was very pleased with its first run. Ive got some tuning to do and some tweaks to try but so far Im feeling confident for our opening day.

Ill post up some more with what I do and setup after Sunday .............

Wanna say Thanks though to Rob_b/CDW for the parts, they were definitely worth the wait.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #164
I wanna be Dave

SS links, now I understand the icing of the hands. I made that mistake once. How many coils did you cut off the springs? 20deg of castor? Looking good.

Last edited by rob_b; 04-08-2011 at 09:28 PM.
rob_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 05:32 AM   #165
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertec View Post
Looks like alot of hard work is starting to payoff, cant wait to hear your thoughts after some tuning and wheel time
Thanks man. The truck felt a lot different Thursday but not in a bad way. It felt a little free'er in the sense that it will go where ever I try to put it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_b View Post
SS links, now I understand the icing of the hands. I made that mistake once. How many coils did you cut off the springs? 20deg of castor? Looking good.
LOL it was a beetch threading those things but well worth it.

I believe I cut 4 coils but will snap some comparison pics tonight. With the shake up at Losi Im wondering if they're still gonna come out with those springs Jake was running. The golds with the short shock feel stiff/springier.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 AM   #166
MODERATOR™

Sweet dude.

That Castle BEC is stupid large...
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 08:15 AM   #167
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
Sweet dude.

That Castle BEC is stupid large...

Thanks.

I tend to think of the BEC as a bad growth .... you think thats big though, Ill snap a shot of that one I bought next to it.
Old 04-09-2011, 08:49 AM   #168
I wanna be Dave

When you cut down a spring the rate increases. I think I only cut 1.5 coils out on mine.

rate=(wireDiameter^4 * 1470000)/(meanDiameter^3 * activeCoils)

Stock Losi Gold.
.620 mean diameter
.040 wire diameter
11.5 active coils
RATE=1.37

Losi Gold with 4 active coils removed.
.620 mean diameter
.040 wire diameter
7.5 active coils
RATE=2.11

Losi Gold with 1.5 active coils removed.
.620 mean diameter
.040 wire diameter
10 active coils
RATE=1.58

Tech, its a beautiful thing
Old 04-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #169
Custom Carbon Fiber

my head just exploded

makes sense though ......... Ill chop 1.5 off another set after work.
Old 04-09-2011, 10:57 AM   #170
RCC Addict

hey i was thinking since you're trying to save weight, it looks like you could've cut out the "V" section of the cahssis(the part above "losi") to shed a little extra weight, and since its not attached to anything structurally it wouldnt hurt.

anyways it was just a thought
goobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #171
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by goobs View Post
hey i was thinking since you're trying to save weight, it looks like you could've cut out the "V" section of the cahssis(the part above "losi") to shed a little extra weight, and since its not attached to anything structurally it wouldnt hurt.

anyways it was just a thought

When I cut the V out of my old chassis I noticed the flex increased until I put the top two braces back in.

Seeing theres really no support above the V point with this chassis I wanted to leave them there for strength.

Also like Rob said, possibly attaching them to the CF there will take the little flex out that remains.

In my opinion the weight I would save by cutting them wouldnt even be something you would notice making a difference. That 2 or 3 grams isnt gonna keep me from rolling over lol.

Now the flex or possibly snapping the 3mm CF from a fall ...... that you would

Good idea though
Old 04-09-2011, 11:28 AM   #172
Rock Stacker

looking good there for sure. i had been meaning to ask why stainless for the links... for the added weight or strength or ?
steeltoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 11:39 AM   #173
I wanna be Dave

Every gram counts. But if you twist on the chassis you can see the "V's" pull away from the CF. So if they were connected it would be a little stiffer. Would it be a noticeable improvement in terms of drive ability? I don't know but again every little bit counts. If you are thinking of using the "V" to tune the amount of chassis flex like a TC you know your truck way too well.
Old 04-09-2011, 12:13 PM   #174
Quarry Creeper

Looking good Rob. Considering you normally come in as good or better than the moa's at the comps, the lighter weight, lower cog, and bent links might put this thing up to a certain "traccer killer" status, lol. You still running same weight per wheel, or did you loose a little with the reduced weight of the chassis? Good job.
-bryan
bryco13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #175
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
If you are thinking of using the "V" to tune the amount of chassis flex like a TC you know your truck way too well.
Ya the wife doesnt like it when the 3 of us are watching a movie together

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryco13 View Post
Looking good Rob. Considering you normally come in as good or better than the moa's at the comps, the lighter weight, lower cog, and bent links might put this thing up to a certain "traccer killer" status, lol. You still running same weight per wheel, or did you loose a little with the reduced weight of the chassis? Good job.
-bryan
Left the wheel weights the same.
Old 04-11-2011, 07:30 AM   #176
Custom Carbon Fiber

Well had the trucks first official comp yesterday and the competition didnt make it easy.

After 3 courses, 8 drivers, 5 MOA's and 3 shafties I hung on to pull out a 3rd spot. I had 2 gates that were pure driver stoopidness but besides that I was very happy with my day.

The second and third courses where a bit MOA friendly, if I had the old rig I would have been nervous about a few of the climbs we had.
I felt the benefit of the chassis forward and longer bent rear links, still some belly hangers a few times but manageable.

The rear end is my tricky part right now. It doesnt feel as stuck as the old setup did, it tends to slide a bit when trying to front burn and some off cambers. Forward bite is there but they kind of feel lite at times.

The front really pulls when needed but gets a slight push feel to it when trying to drive around slow.

This week is gonna spring 'shock therapy' . I ran the springs I cut 4 coils from. I compared an uncut Losi gold to my cut ones and the uncut seemed to rebound quicker. With the shorter ones it felt stiffer to compress but the rebound was slower ...... the full set was smooth compressing but rebounded much quicker.

Gonna dig around my LHS and see what I can find for lite springs, some mini's or samller buggy fronts.

Overall ........ will update with changes and results.
Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 PM   #177
RCC Addict

Quote:
If you are thinking of using the "V" to tune the amount of chassis flex like a TC you know your truck way too well.
That was my intention from the get go There's a line at one of my practice spots that I cannot pull without changing preload and shock oil from my "standard" setup when the chassis braces are out. Remember, I'm the guy that wanted 4mm quasi-isotropic CF... I have 10+ years of very competitive TC racing that I apply to crawling all the time, including building a rock solid chassis with little to no flex and tuning flex into it. It's just way easier to dial chassis flex into a setup that's really close than it is to try to cope with it (or try to figure out if its causing the issue) when your testing and tuning. Plus, it's always nice to have the option to tune with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
Ya the wife doesnt like it when the 3 of us are watching a movie together
My wife only gets really pissed when my pit gear and RCs take up her "extra" suitcase space when packing the car for a trip. She doesnt seem to understand that crawlers need to see some different scenery too... Truck looks good. Can't wait for my batch of goodies to be ready.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 PM   #178
Moderator Rule Breaker

Rob another shock option. Scx shocks with rear mini T springs.

I bet you find the right spring for your rig, plus the axial shocks are light weight and small diameter.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:21 PM   #179
Pebble Pounder

Just read through the thread, really great to see someone with an LCC in the CT with so much effort put into it. I look forward to meeting you some day at a ECRCC gathering. By the way is the BEC really a difference maker? (I have a Castle BEC, not PRO. and have never installed it with a Losi ESC. I did not buy the castle link and just put off installing it.)
Thanks,
Ryan
cliffdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 06:25 AM   #180
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
That was my intention from the get go There's a line at one of my practice spots that I cannot pull without changing preload and shock oil from my "standard" setup when the chassis braces are out. Remember, I'm the guy that wanted 4mm quasi-isotropic CF... I have 10+ years of very competitive TC racing that I apply to crawling all the time, including building a rock solid chassis with little to no flex and tuning flex into it. It's just way easier to dial chassis flex into a setup that's really close than it is to try to cope with it (or try to figure out if its causing the issue) when your testing and tuning. Plus, it's always nice to have the option to tune with it.

My wife only gets really pissed when my pit gear and RCs take up her "extra" suitcase space when packing the car for a trip. She doesnt seem to understand that crawlers need to see some different scenery too... Truck looks good. Can't wait for my batch of goodies to be ready.
Im thinking 4 more screws on both sides, 1 on each V and then a third inline with the original 2 on each end. I have another season opener this coming saturday for another club so I wont get to trying it until after.

Mine let me take the rig on our anniversary day last year . We went for a hike and shes got pictures of me with the rig strapped to my back pack lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric113 View Post
Rob another shock option. Scx shocks with rear mini T springs.

I bet you find the right spring for your rig, plus the axial shocks are light weight and small diameter.
Hmm didnt think about those shocks, Thanks. Ive got plenty of bodies, Ill have to pick up some extra shafts tonight. Im going up to my LHS to get some mini T springs already.

Right now Ive got some Assoc 1.02 shafts in the rear Traxxas bodies. I started my limiters so the shaft compresses just to the bladder inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdawg View Post
Just read through the thread, really great to see someone with an LCC in the CT with so much effort put into it. I look forward to meeting you some day at a ECRCC gathering. By the way is the BEC really a difference maker? (I have a Castle BEC, not PRO. and have never installed it with a Losi ESC. I did not buy the castle link and just put off installing it.)
Thanks,
Ryan
After blowing up I think 8 little blue bec's I had to go with the Pro. Right now Ive got the voltage set @ 7.4 and wired directly to the servo. Havent had any problems yet. Its just weird with the blue ones in an LCC with a big servo, the gremlins get ya at the wrong times lol.

Last edited by Robbob; 04-12-2011 at 06:39 AM.