Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler Brand Specific Tech > Team Losi Comp Crawler

Notices

Thread: Robbobs LCC

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2011, 04:49 PM   #121
Custom Carbon Fiber

thought Id post some pics of my bec for those who have read the problems I was having.

So far the CC BEC Pro has been hanging in there and so far hasnt shown any problems.

So where do you stuff an esc sized bec on a rig with little space left?

nope not in this mess

ahh this will work for now

It works there for now but will be redone once my two winter series are done.

Also a shot of my current Boss Claws.

I feel like I lost a little of my forward bite compared to my original set but my sidehill/off camber situations feel much better now. Very pleased with overall performance of this cut for me.

Other then that the rig is still working great
Robbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-20-2011, 05:16 PM   #122
MODERATOR™

That's ridiculous! And I'm not talking about your tire cut.
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:29 PM   #123
Rock Crawler

Wowee, that thing has some size to it, doesn't it? I was thinking about getting one, but damn that's big.
davec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #124
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
That's ridiculous! And I'm not talking about your tire cut.
Tell me how ya really feel

Ya Im on the alternative hunt now, even the wiring has me buggin out its so messy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec View Post
Wowee, that thing has some size to it, doesn't it? I was thinking about getting one, but damn that's big.
Yup I wasnt kidding when I called it a 'toaster oven' in the bec thread, even guys at the comp thought it was a sidewinder esc.
Old 01-20-2011, 06:20 PM   #125
Quarry Creeper

Default Awesome Post

You guys inspire me : Thanks for sharing, Good reading
T/C Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #126
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
the wiring has me buggin out its so messy.
Wiring? I thought you dumped your Ramen noodles out on top of your truck.

I guess that's how I really feel.

Try that MPI I posted. Take one for the team.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 AM   #127
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Try that MPI I posted. Take one for the team.
Thought I was doing that with the 6 CC's I went through

Doing some reading and comparing today for some ordering, definately gettin something smaller.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:50 AM   #128
Custom Carbon Fiber

So a little update to the trucks current setup .....

Front:
Shock Oil - 55wt
Spring - Losi Gold
External limiter - 17mm
Piston - Losi #55
Shock Location - #5
Arm Location - B

Rear:
Shock Oil - 30wt
Spring - Losi Gold
External Limiter - 17mm
Piston - Losi #57
Shock Location - #4
Arm Location - C

Weight w/out Body:
2953grams/6.51lbs

well been running a bit now with the CC BEC Pro and havent had any problems yet so it was time to try and straighten a few things out.

Stock BEC Pro

And heres me 'taking one for the team'

And a little more weight loss

This was also a perfect time to try a new motor ...... Trinity D3 17.5 w/Sintered rotor

Weight comparison
Tekin Redline 17.5 w/13mm HT Rotor

Trinity D3 w/out banana plugs

The fun of wiring

Total weight again w/out body
2925grams ...... lost 28grams
Old 01-30-2011, 08:55 AM   #129
RCC Addict

Holy wiring diagram Batman!! I cant believe you squeezed all of that onto the rear links.
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 09:05 AM   #130
Custom Carbon Fiber

Got to run the D3 last week and so far very pleased with it.

I started with the same RS setup and 13T pinion I been running on the Redline. From the start I could feel an increase in Torque with some decrease in temps after a run. Wheel speed felt about the same but I did gain some low end snap off the start.

I tried going up in pinions, my LHS only had a 16T as the lowest so said what the heck and went for it. Wheel speed was a great gain ofcourse but I knew that big of a jump had downsides. Motor was hotter then I felt comfortable with so waiting for my 14 and 15T pinions to come in. Im thinking a 14T would be the better choice.

Overall with the 13T Im very pleased with the motor swap, gonna throw a 14T for next practice. Im also planning to try some motor timing, since its still at 0*, with both the 13T and 14T pinions for next practice.

Current RS settings:
Motor Type: Brushless w/instant reverse
Voltage Cutoff: 3S
Motor Direction: Reverse (since tranny is flipped)
Throttle Profile: 3
Current Limiter: Off
Drag Brake: Off
Minimum Brake: 0
Minimum Throttle: 15
Brake Strength: 0
Reverse Speed: 100
Neutral Width: 10
Push Control: 0
Boost: 30 - starting @ 5443 ending at 20000

Ill post up after I try the gearing and timing changes
Old 01-30-2011, 09:08 AM   #131
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
Holy wiring diagram Batman!! I cant believe you squeezed all of that onto the rear links.
LOL same here ...... after my winter series Im gonna try some smaller BECs, just dont want to curse myself.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:37 AM   #132
MODERATOR™

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch View Post
I cant believe you squeezed all of that onto the rear links.
No shit, that looks terrible!
Old 01-30-2011, 05:14 PM   #133
RCC Addict

Thats a big ass cap on your esc, any reason for that??
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 05:35 PM   #134
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
No shit, that looks terrible!
I was just gonna wrap it all around the cross brace but that idea was already used

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulksta View Post
Thats a big ass cap on your esc, any reason for that??
We use to run multiple ones (3 smaller 1000uf 16v) in TC to take some heat off the esc and load off the batteries from throttle bursts exiting corners and brake spikes when we did use them.

I got to thinking even though we run slower and smoother it could still help. Im thinking it may help with bursting the battery and load we may put on the esc when stabbing the throttle, or in my case when I roof the truck and rip the throttle/reverse to upright myself.

Cant say it shows any improvements using it but surely hasnt hurt anything.
Old 01-30-2011, 06:02 PM   #135
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbob View Post
We use to run multiple ones (3 smaller 1000uf 16v) in TC to take some heat off the esc and load off the batteries from throttle bursts exiting corners and brake spikes when we did use them.

I got to thinking even though we run slower and smoother it could still help. Im thinking it may help with bursting the battery and load we may put on the esc when stabbing the throttle, or in my case when I roof the truck and rip the throttle/reverse to upright myself.

Cant say it shows any improvements using it but surely hasnt hurt anything.
Hmmm thanks for that.. i might try it to so if it will help stop my lipos puffing a little as i can only see the power drain being the problem after trying everything else i might give this a go, cant hurt
Hulksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #136
Rock Crawler

Robbob - I am interested in how you are powering your servo and receiver off the Pro BEC. Are you running one lead directly to the servo and the other to the receiver? Also, how do you have the signal and ground wires set up? I am getting one of these tomorrow to hopefully alleviate my BEC troubles. I received a brand new 10A BEC from Castle on Thursday, installed it just like the one that is in it, and it lasted all of 10 minutes before it went out. The light on the BEC was still on but it was only putting out 2.5V. I put my old BEC back in exactly the same and went about my business. It still cuts out occasionally, but at least it is working. I am calling Castle tomorrow to try to get this done and over for now. I have two dead BEC's that have a total of about 10-15 minutes on them. I am hoping they will trade them out for Pro BEC, or at least give me two more that I can have for spares or to sell. I did spend an hour today pulling my servo completely apart and checking everything. One of the bearings on the main drive gear is a little rough, so I lubed it up really good, greased all the gears, and put it back together. I don't think it is rough enough to make a difference in the amp draw, but maybe it could be part of the problem.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:56 AM   #137
Custom Carbon Fiber

Quote:
Originally Posted by davec View Post
Robbob - I am interested in how you are powering your servo and receiver off the Pro BEC. Are you running one lead directly to the servo and the other to the receiver? Also, how do you have the signal and ground wires set up? I am getting one of these tomorrow to hopefully alleviate my BEC troubles. I received a brand new 10A BEC from Castle on Thursday, installed it just like the one that is in it, and it lasted all of 10 minutes before it went out. The light on the BEC was still on but it was only putting out 2.5V. I put my old BEC back in exactly the same and went about my business. It still cuts out occasionally, but at least it is working. I am calling Castle tomorrow to try to get this done and over for now. I have two dead BEC's that have a total of about 10-15 minutes on them. I am hoping they will trade them out for Pro BEC, or at least give me two more that I can have for spares or to sell. I did spend an hour today pulling my servo completely apart and checking everything. One of the bearings on the main drive gear is a little rough, so I lubed it up really good, greased all the gears, and put it back together. I don't think it is rough enough to make a difference in the amp draw, but maybe it could be part of the problem.

I wired it basically the same way we all been doing it, red wire on the esc still plugged in. Using the bec from the esc to power the rx/esc/dig servo.

Servo signal gos into the RX

Y-connector used ......... the two leads coming out of the Pro plug into that .......

Servo red/black wires go into the single plug of the y-connector.

Grounded through the battery.

I will say when I unplug the battery the light stays on for a few seconds until the capacitor discharges. That part I dont like but the only way I can fix it is wire the servo and Pro grounds through the RX.

If I plugged the blue bex into the rx I can only set it @6v. Thats max the Futaba will take and the servo causes the system to brown out.

I never bothered pluggin the Pro into the rx for the same reason, can only run 6v into the rx.

Im gonna get some 18g wire this week and redo the output wires on the Pro. Single red/black wires into some mini deans into the servo leads.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:06 AM   #138
Rock Crawler

Got it. I only run my servo at 6.0 V, so I was thinking about running one lead on the Pro BEC to the servo and the other into the receiver to power it and the dig. I guess I will figure it out when I get it tonight. I really hope this fixes my problems, this is getting beyond annoying. My BEC cut out yesterday at exactly the wrong time, costing me at least a course win and probably the overall win.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:24 PM   #139
Rock Crawler

The D3 sounds promising! Will be keeping up to see how the changes work out... Thanks for going through the trouble
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:35 AM   #140
Rock Crawler

Have you been able to get any more time on the d3?
Vertec is offline   Reply With Quote