Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Tools, and Procedures

Notices

Thread: indexing w/o a rotary table?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2012, 06:48 PM   #41
No idea what I'm doing

Default Re: indexing w/o a rotary table?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

For just doing a small run of stuff, its totally worth the time and effort. If you're going to be doing a whole bunch of stuff, buy the fixture.
I usually look at it the other way around. If I'm only doing a few parts, I'll try to use just the vise or in this case a 5C holder if I can. If I have something I'm making a lot of, I'll take the time to make a dedicated fixture just for it.

If you are thinking of making a bunch of these for family and friends (PM me for my address ), it might be worth taking the time to make a real fixture for it that would make setup easier and quicker.
C*H*U*D is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-2012, 07:42 PM   #42
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by C*H*U*D View Post
I usually look at it the other way around. If I'm only doing a few parts, I'll try to use just the vise or in this case a 5C holder if I can. If I have something I'm making a lot of, I'll take the time to make a dedicated fixture just for it.
If you already had the holder, sure. If not, and I was making more than two or three, I'd make a dedicated tool. If I thought I'd have much more than one use for store bought tooling, I'd go that way as well.

IMO it just comes down to what you need in the moment vs what you need in the long run. Either way works as long as it works for you.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #43
I wanna be Dave

Yea Duuuuuude that is PVC. Neat looking fixture although I would have used a set screw and made it square so you can flip quick 90's without finding center again and again.

If it was me I would buy the block, much more flexible than the homemade fixture and if you already have collets it is a great investment. If you dont have collets yet then it is a little more spendy but $100 and you have a great multipurpose fixture that can take most stock. The problem comes when you have to use it for your second, third, etc operation and you have already turned the part...Then it gets more expensive because you will need some of the inbetween sizes of collets that arent in the "starter" 8 piece set. Like I mentioned a collet is only $6 a pop so its not all that bad and once you have it you will have many years of uses for it. Also remember with the hex block you can easily do 6 bolt circles on the face or side of parts too and that can be handy. Hell combine the square block with a set of angle blocks and you can basically do whatever angle you want, you will have to find center a lot though.

Machining is a weird thing, there never was and never will be only one way to do something and as long as it gets done it doesnt really matter how. I cant tell you how many times I have done some sketchy setup that makes my butthole pucker but hey if the part comes out the part comes out and that is all that anyone needs to know right? To any newbies...There are certainly wrong ways to do things so that is not an open invitation to do sketch stuff just for the sake of being an idiot.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:14 PM   #44
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
Yea Duuuuuude that is PVC. Neat looking fixture although I would have used a set screw and made it square so you can flip quick 90's without finding center again and again.
If I ever make one that I'll actually use, I will do that. This one was just for the "overcomplicated" crowd using stuff I had on hand.

If anyone needs a limited use 180* fixture with a .495" hole in it, I'm your man.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 PM   #45
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Machining is a weird thing, there never was and never will be only one way to do something and as long as it gets done it doesnt really matter how. I cant tell you how many times I have done some sketchy setup that makes my butthole pucker but hey if the part comes out the part comes out and that is all that anyone needs to know right? To any newbies...There are certainly wrong ways to do things so that is not an open invitation to do sketch stuff just for the sake of being an idiot.
I love the creativity that's involved with a setup. I just miss having access to everything I would have ever needed. One of my little tricks is to use a mill end in a tool holder on the lathe instead of a "proper" boring bar, it's much more rigid and I get 4 cutting edges per end, nice and cheap and a never ending supply of ' WTF are you doooing'??
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 08:52 PM   #46
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
If I ever make one that I'll actually use, I will do that. This one was just for the "overcomplicated" crowd using stuff I had on hand.

If anyone needs a limited use 180* fixture with a .495" hole in it, I'm your man.
We will see you on the cover of Forbes in no time!
Old 09-11-2012, 09:14 PM   #47
Suck it up!

Quote:
We will see you on the cover of Forbes in no time!
I'm too pretty for Forbes.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:29 PM   #48
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSki View Post
The bore is at .377 so I can use 3/8" ball bearings.
I hope you plan on bolting it down to the table or floor to shoot them. We made a pocket size cannon at work, shoots .30 caliber round balls. It's mounted in a wooden cart with wheels. Shooting a lead ball, it flies across the floor when fired. Only thing we can shoot and keep it still is paper wads.

Here's a picture of ours after welding the trunnions on.

Last edited by Reflection; 09-11-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Reflection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #49
I wanna be Dave

what grain count and powder type are you using? I have no black powder experience at all, so this whole project is a new adventure for me. My cop buddies aren't too sure this is even legit...
Old 09-12-2012, 10:47 AM   #50
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Machining is a weird thing, there never was and never will be only one way to do something and as long as it gets done it doesn't really matter how. I cant tell you how many times I have done some sketchy setup that makes my butthole pucker but hey if the part comes out the part comes out and that is all that anyone needs to know right? To any newbies...There are certainly wrong ways to do things so that is not an open invitation to do sketch stuff just for the sake of being an idiot.
When I worked at a machine shop, my boss used to say, "Anyone can machine anything given enough time....the trick is to find a way to do it fast & accurately!"

Some of the set-ups we did were odd to say the least, but worked fast and accurately.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 12:11 PM   #51
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
When I worked at a machine shop, my boss used to say, "Anyone can machine anything given enough time....the trick is to find a way to do it fast & accurately!"

Some of the set-ups we did were odd to say the least, but worked fast and accurately.
Maybe not anyone haha...

I have run into some serious idiots in the past.
Old 09-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #52
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:

what grain count and powder type are you using? I have no black powder experience at all, so this whole project is a new adventure for me. My cop buddies aren't too sure this is even legit...

I will check, I've never loaded our cannons, just lit the fuses.

We have the pocket cannon, a biggen that shoots 2" slugs and we are in the process of building some .50 cannons to sell. We are also building some gatlin guns.

Cannon

The local sheriffs office is about 4 miles from our shop, they know when we get our toys out to play.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #53
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reflection View Post
I will check, I've never loaded our cannons, just lit the fuses.

We have the pocket cannon, a biggen that shoots 2" slugs and we are in the process of building some .50 cannons to sell. We are also building some gatlin guns.

Cannon

The local sheriffs office is about 4 miles from our shop, they know when we get our toys out to play.
Damn son!

I'll give you an idea as to how *fouled* up mary-land is- I can't legally purchase or possess cannon fuse anymore, it's against the law of the land. I was informed of this by a local gun shop owner and it was backed up by a cop buddy who works in firearm law enforcement. Guess I'll have to sneak into Pennsl-tucky and buy some more fuses.
Old 09-12-2012, 07:43 PM   #54
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
Damn son!

I'll give you an idea as to how *fouled* up mary-land is- I can't legally purchase or possess cannon fuse anymore, it's against the law of the land. I was informed of this by a local gun shop owner and it was backed up by a cop buddy who works in firearm law enforcement. Guess I'll have to sneak into Pennsl-tucky and buy some more fuses.
On our pocket cannon, we just pull the fuses out of some fire crackers..........
Old 09-15-2012, 02:10 PM   #55
RCC Addict

This thread got more fun with the mention of cannons ! Here's the buisness end of my little cannon....

Maybe we should start a cannon thread.
Cave Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:10 PM   #56
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:

I talked to the guys about how they load their cannons. The barrel of our big cannon started as a 7" round solid bar of 316 stainless. They load it with 400 grains of powder. They've tried 1000 grains, it's very loud, lots of smoke and started bending/cracking the aluminum carriage.....so they stick with 400 grains.

Our little pocket cannon is a small section of an old muzzle loader rifle that was bent. He usually just loads it with 10 grains of powder and shoots a wad of paper. Shooting a lead ball is almost dangerous, silly to watch though.

A few guys I talked to frowned on the idea of using any more than 10 grains of powder in a brass barrel cannon. Their reasoning....The powder we have today is much better than what they used back in the day. Brass is very unpredictable and could actually shatter.
Old 09-29-2012, 10:40 AM   #57
Rock Crawler

Please keep in mind this is my opinion. Keep in mind if this is (machining) a life time hobby. The buy tooling that will last a life time. For me this is my passion.

Get a collet block. Cheap works. I want mine to work forever. It will do what you want and more. Maybe next time you need to do some machining that needs the accuracy.

I also use a spindex (cheap fine china). Biggest problem is how far it puts the part you are machining above the vice.

Good enough will get you only good enough. For me I have a mill to make parts better than good enough. There is always a cheap way.

SMR 510RR has great advice

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 11:08 AM   #58
Rock Crawler

Quote:
I talked to the guys about how they load their cannons. The barrel of our big cannon started as a 7" round solid bar of 316 stainless. They load it with 400 grains of powder. They've tried 1000 grains, it's very loud, lots of smoke and started bending/cracking the aluminum carriage.....so they stick with 400 grains.

A few guys I talked to frowned on the idea of using any more than 10 grains of powder in a brass barrel cannon. Their reasoning....The powder we have today is much better than what they used back in the day. Brass is very unpredictable and could actually shatter.
I have a friend that had a brass framed revolver. After some shooting the frame started to loosen up when the gun blow up it took three of his fingers. Be careful and use the best steel you can afford. The frame split and the cross fired three rounds. :(

Evan
SlickRockSpider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 12:41 PM   #59
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Our little pocket cannon is a small section of an old muzzle loader rifle that was bent. He usually just loads it with 10 grains of powder and shoots a wad of paper. Shooting a lead ball is almost dangerous, silly to watch though.

1000 grains??????? I haven't finished mine yet, it's still sitting on the work bench. I have some other important business to deal with at the moment, I have no idea how long this will sit idle.
Old 09-30-2012, 05:37 PM   #60
TEAM MODERATOR

Quote:
1000 grains??????? I haven't finished mine yet, it's still sitting on the work bench. I have some other important business to deal with at the moment, I have no idea how long this will sit idle.
1000 grains is to much for our big cannon......

I have very little experience with black powder, besides lighting the fuses on these cannons and squeezing the trigger a few times on a muzzle loader rifle. I'm going off of what guys are telling me that have allot of experience with black powder guns and cannons. In your little brass cannon, they are saying 10 grains would be the most they'd put behind a paper wad. Be extremely careful if you wanna try a lead ball. From what I've been told, I wouldn't trust the brass barrel much.

indexing w/o a rotary table? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Southern Scale Crawlers at Rotary Park CBR Scale Videos! 1 04-22-2012 12:34 PM
Cordless dremels? rotary tools? D-ran83 Tools, and Procedures 5 10-22-2010 05:43 AM
Cheap Rotary Tool? alexchen86 Tools, and Procedures 21 10-12-2010 12:32 AM
Centering rotary tables Mnster Tools, and Procedures 7 11-24-2006 12:34 AM
Rotary Switch for TQ3 3rd Channel? Trike Kid Electronics 0 01-18-2006 10:26 PM