Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Ascender

Notices

Thread: Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2016, 10:03 PM   #141
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete959 View Post
Really like the stance nice and tucked tires r a great width honestly i like wheels on it now but if was me i would go ssd the dholes silver in black ring

LIFE IS GOOD
Thanks for your thoughts Pete! You know, those tires and wheels are starting to grow on me, Poprivets idea on putting on the red rings kind of ties them into the body. I think for now I might save my money and use these.
Ernie,
CODYBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-2016, 07:02 PM   #142
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onetoomanyrcs View Post
Looking good man
Thanks, Have not worked on it much this last week. I have a couple sets of your lights that I will be putting on it soon.

On a different note, I have 3 beef tube axles left from my second batch PM if you want to try one on the front of your rig. Comments I'm getting back are that it is greatly improving side hilling. Rear tubes should be coming out in a couple weeks.
Ernie,

Last edited by CODYBOY; 06-30-2016 at 07:19 PM.
Old 06-30-2016, 07:40 PM   #143
Rock Crawler

Look what I got today! Very well done, Ernie! I've messed with weighted axles enough to know they will be an improvement. This housing feels very close to the same weight of my GS01 axles with brass weight tubes in them, and they work awesome. Put me down for a rear when you get them done

Thanks again!
Attached Images

Jeepiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2016, 08:42 AM   #144
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepiac View Post
Look what I got today! Very well done, Ernie! I've messed with weighted axles enough to know they will be an improvement. This housing feels very close to the same weight of my GS01 axles with brass weight tubes in them, and they work awesome. Put me down for a rear when you get them done

Thanks again!
Thanks for the kind words Jon, and your welcome. I ordered more axle casings yesterday and will start thinking of ideas for how I will do the rears.
Also thinking about designing some brass shock spring retainers. Seems that they would work as a option for adding weight down low.
Ernie,

Last edited by CODYBOY; 07-01-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 07-02-2016, 09:18 PM   #145
I wanna be Dave

Good to hear Ernie, curious about the spring retainers. Rear axle should be sweet!
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:54 PM   #146
I wanna be Dave

Wink Re: Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender

Ok it has been a while since I posted a update. I've been working on a design for the rear axle beef tubes and came up with a couple options. Here is the first one using a modified front axle housing. ( I want to be able to use both front and rear stock housings to build both front and rear weighted axle housings.)

Brass is soldered and turned and the axle housing is drill out. This option adds about 2.75 oz. to the housing.

Here is the second option using the rear stock axle housing. This option utilizes a single piece of brass turned to size to fit the drilled out axle housing, (which is a pita to keep straight in the vice when drilling).

This option adds about 2 oz. to the rear axle.

A look at both options.

Here are three that are going to pete959, I'm sure he will give them a good test.

I'm going to put one of the 2.75oz. housings in the Bulldog Bronco.
Thanks for looking.
Ernie,
Old 07-09-2016, 09:50 PM   #147
Rock Crawler

Yea the heavy one is going in bertha and ty they r really needed

LIFE IS GOOD
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 07:41 PM   #148
I wanna be Dave

Ok guys and gals, I've been running this idea through my pea brain for a while and I can't seem to let it go. Why would a company release a rig and then run out of axles to support it? So I started to wonder if the new axial unis that come in SCXii could be modified to work in the ascender axles???? So between thinking this might be something some of my ascender friends would find useful and having my brain going a mile a minute building this in my head, I bit the bullet. I order about $75.00 in parts and searched my axle parts box and this is what I have so far.

Right now it is at about 50 degree of steering but with some more tuning I think I could get close to 70.

This one will go in my rig if all goes well.
Input welcome guys!! Is it something we need??
Ernie,
Old 07-12-2016, 08:58 PM   #149
Rock Crawler

Well hot damn

LIFE IS GOOD
pete959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 12:21 AM   #150
I wanna be Dave

Those rears are looking good Ernie! Love the SCX universal idea too! You're always coming up with good ideas! What if you don't drill the axle housing and make tube to fit? Less work, but probably not enough room inside as I recall.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 10:01 PM   #151
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
Those rears are looking good Ernie! Love the SCX universal idea too! You're always coming up with good ideas! What if you don't drill the axle housing and make tube to fit? Less work, but probably not enough room inside as I recall.
Thanks for the kind words sir!
And your recollection is right, if I don't drill out the housings there is no room for any brass. I think I have a fix figured out for the drilling challenge on the rears, and I'm getting close to having the conversion done on the axle. We'll see how it goes tomorrow, I may have some more photos to show if all goes well.
Ernie,
Old 07-15-2016, 10:20 AM   #152
I wanna be Dave

I thought there might be a little more interest in this mod, oh well, it's going on my truck. I have the recipe figured out, here are a few photos of it all put together. I did it all with a mini grinder and a file!

More steering than I can use!

Also got some goodies from RPP.

All for now, thanks for looking.
Ernie,
Old 07-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #153
RCC Addict

Is everything vaterra specific except the axle shafts? Or are the spindles axial units you made to fit the vaterra style hubs?

I like the idea very much and look forward to see your opinion out of the rocks. I wonder if it'll actually steer that sharp or just try to push. I'm no expert so real world testing is where the answer lies for sure. Keep up the good work man !

Ben
Itali83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:59 AM   #154
Quarry Creeper

He uses vaterra chubs with Axial knuckles and axial universals.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk
Di_Spencer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:47 AM   #155
Quarry Creeper

I think it just hasn't sunk in yet how brilliant this is. I have never owned a vaterra, so im not sure what all you're improving upon, but it has me thinking. Will the vaterra c-hubs fit the brass tubes you did for my ssd axle?

I'm thinking if they will it would solve the problem with the axle side panhard mount being to far in after the wide xr mod is done. I like that vaterra has that mount on the c-hub.

Way to use your noodle Ernie.
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:49 AM   #156
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post
I think it just hasn't sunk in yet how brilliant this is. I have never owned a vaterra, so im not sure what all you're improving upon, but it has me thinking. Will the vaterra c-hubs fit the brass tubes you did for my ssd axle?

I'm thinking if they will it would solve the problem with the axle side panhard mount being to far in after the wide xr mod is done. I like that vaterra has that mount on the c-hub.

Yeah and I think that it would also clean up the look of the axles.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:57 AM   #157
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itali83 View Post
Is everything vaterra specific except the axle shafts? Or are the spindles axial units you made to fit the vaterra style hubs?

I like the idea very much and look forward to see your opinion out of the rocks. I wonder if it'll actually steer that sharp or just try to push. I'm no expert so real world testing is where the answer lies for sure. Keep up the good work man !

Ben
Hey Ben, you're absolutely right, the rocks will tell the story. I know for certain that I won't be able to use all the steering because the tires will hit the links. This set up has the same 8 degree kick back as the stock set up. And I didn't design this for the $$, I can share a step by step if you guys want. I thought with the problem getting stock CVDs this would be another option.
And Di_Spencer did a good job answering your other question. I used SSD chubs, but I'm sure the Ascender after market alum one would work!
Ernie,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Di_Spencer View Post
He uses vaterra chubs with Axial knuckles and axial universals.

Thanks for the help Di_Spencer. After I figured out what parts worked best together it was probably a 2 hour fix.
Ernie,
Old 07-15-2016, 12:01 PM   #158
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by CODYBOY View Post
Hey Ben, you're absolutely right, the rocks will tell the story. I know for certain that I won't be able to use all the steering because the tires will hit the links. This set up has the same 8 degree kick back as the stock set up. And I didn't design this for the $$, I can share a step by step if you guys want. I thought with the problem getting stock CVDs this would be another option.
And Di_Spencer did a good job answering your other question. I used SSD chubs, but I'm sure the Ascender after market alum one would work!
Ernie,

Thanks for the help Di_Spencer. After I figured out what parts worked best together it was probably a 2 hour fix.
Ernie,
Your welcome. I don't know how popular this will be with people doing ground up builds because of the new AR44 axles but with people who have vaterra axles already this should be a big hit.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:04 PM   #159
Rock Stacker

These axle are top notch. Mine came in yesterday very happy with them. Ordered a front set and got a set of the heavier rear axle. The work done on these axles are very professional and clean work very impressive!
s102000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:15 PM   #160
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poprivet View Post

Thanks Poprivet, like I said earlier, "A mile a minute" some times. I think the R&D is what helps keep my mind young, how many 67 year olds do you know that are still playing with "toy trucks".
To answer your question, the axial based chubs are a little larger ID than the ascender. But I know a guy who can take care of that problem for you. I have two of the of the SSD housings and we could come up with something for your fronts. PM me and we can talk details. and no talk about $$, you know I love working with you.
Ernie,

Codyboy's "bulldog bronco" ascender - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bulldog/Mattzilla "Mountain Buggy" Bulldog 2.2 Scale Rigs 88 03-30-2016 07:59 AM
"Rhino" 1/9 Nissan Patrol 4x4 Y60 1997 build with Vaterra Ascender K5 clarketian 1.9 Scale Rigs 25 03-15-2016 05:36 AM
"My Bulldog Berg build" bigron EnRoute Berg 61 02-05-2014 07:59 PM
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/gYr-dbPEOnE" frameborde boolean21 Scale Videos! 0 10-01-2013 09:39 AM