Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Vaterra Scale Rock Crawlers > Vaterra Twin Hammers

Notices

Thread: Harley's Twin Hammers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2013, 11:35 PM   #41
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Harley's Twin Hammers

first time ive seen a four link on an RC that as the shock sitting on the lower control arm. btw nice vid and write p! im still waiting on kit version (if that ever comes) though. If not Ill find a roller sometime
sixshooterstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-2013, 07:42 AM   #42
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthewboerner View Post
Taking a quick look at those trailing arms, it looks like you could just flip them since they look almost symetrical. So you could achieve the lower mounting point. The other thing is the shock ball ends might need to be changed out for some longer ones to reach that lower mount. Might be worth a shot!! -Matt
That wouldn't actually achieve anything. The mounting point is on the centerline, so you can flip it any way you want and it will still be on the centerline. Also, the bottom of the trailing arms is solid so you would have to cut out a pocket and likely substantially weaken the arms.
Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 07:46 AM   #43
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixshooterstang View Post
first time ive seen a four link on an RC that as the shock sitting on the lower control arm. btw nice vid and write p! im still waiting on kit version (if that ever comes) though. If not Ill find a roller sometime
Link mounted shocks is not uncommon really. The XR10 came with it out of the box, the HPI Mini Trophy Truck had a trailing arm setup, most super class rigs run a similar type configuration as well.

I have less than $250 in this truck right now after selling off the electronics, and I sold them pretty cheap. Sure beats waiting around.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #44
I wanna be Dave

Where's the class D fire extinguisher going?

GySgt Hartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #45
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GySgt Hartman View Post
Where's the class D fire extinguisher going?

I'll call Norm and have a special version made
Old 02-13-2013, 09:53 AM   #46
Rock Stacker

[QUOTE=Matthewboerner;4177568]Very cool trailing arms, however I wish they would have lowered the shock mounting point below the centerline of the rod ends like a real trailing arm so that it would keep the arms in place. Right now they rock back and forth which is just an annoying design trait to me.

Even if they were mounted below the centerline they would still twist under load. The only way they stay balanced below the center line is if your trailing arms run parallel, with the chassis, combined with the shocks being mounted perfectly vertical (but still set up to bump at 90*).. As soon as you kick the trailing arms out at the rear end they flop right over under load. That's why you see companies making wobble stoppers for 1:1 dezert style links.
Dave@threat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 AM   #47
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@threat View Post
Even if they were mounted below the centerline they would still twist under load. The only way they stay balanced below the center line is if your trailing arms run parallel, with the chassis, combined with the shocks being mounted perfectly vertical (but still set up to bump at 90*).. As soon as you kick the trailing arms out at the rear end they flop right over under load. That's why you see companies making wobble stoppers for 1:1 dezert style links.
The only rigs I see running wobble stoppers on U4 style cars are when running above the link centerline. The twist you are likely referring to due to parralell arms and 90° shocks would be on the upstroke of the shock. You may still get some twist but I would bet you are looking at a major reduction. These twist back and forth with no load at all. You would not see anything near like that when mounted below the centerline. Again, it's not a performance issue at this scale just an observation.

Last edited by Harley; 02-13-2013 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:07 AM   #48
20K Club

For those who have never heard of a wobble stopper, you can see it here in this picture at the chassis side. You can see the shocks mounted above the centerline and would cause the link to roll around (like an XR factory link).

Old 02-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #49
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley View Post
The only rigs I see running wobble stoppers on U4 style cars are when running above the link centerline. The twist you are likely referring to due to parralell arms and 90° shocks would be on the upstroke of the shock. You may still get some twist but I would bet you are looking at a major reduction. These twist back and forth with no load at all. You would not see anything near like that when mounted below the centerline. Again, it's not a performance issue at this scale just an observation.

Nope the only way too to keep a dezert style 3/4 link from twisting when the arms are kicked out is a wobble stopper at the front pivots. When we build out Trophy Truck links we balance out our mounts in the trailing arms so that you don't have too run a wobble stopper. Keep up the goo work on your Twin Hammer BTW! I picked one up yesterday
Old 02-13-2013, 10:27 AM   #50
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave@threat View Post
Nope the only way too to keep a dezert style 3/4 link from twisting when the arms are kicked out is a wobble stopper at the front pivots. When we build out Trophy Truck links we balance out our mounts in the trailing arms so that you don't have too run a wobble stopper. Keep up the goo work on your Twin Hammer BTW! I picked one up yesterday
That's really interesting to hear the strictly desert side of things. Must be the difference between Trophy trucks and U4 rigs, which doesn't surprise me. The Trophy trucks obviously are built to another level compared to the U4 rigs. A very small number of the U4 rigs run stoppers and almost all of them have kicked out links.

Waylan's

Starfighter
Old 02-13-2013, 10:39 AM   #51
Rock Stacker

Quote:
That's really interesting to hear the strictly desert side of things. Must be the difference between Trophy trucks and U4 rigs, which doesn't surprise me. The Trophy trucks obviously are built to another level compared to the U4 rigs. A very small number of the U4 rigs run stoppers and almost all of them have kicked out links.

Waylan's

Starfighter

Yep 2 different breeds for sure. Notice how the shock mounts are inline with the trailing arms? Thats what helps keep them from twisting. Now when you articulate it side too side it will start to flop over because the shocks will then change there natural motion. Most of the guys building Pre-runnes completely overlook the small but important things like that, so they install a wobble stopper. totally different then the rod end style set up though.
Old 02-13-2013, 02:06 PM   #52
RCC Addict

This is going over my head. Lol. What is the centerline. Are we talking center from eye to eye? Or center as if you split the link lengthwise?
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #53
Rock Crawler

This is all really good info guys but someone really needs to look at improving the steering on this thing , terrible lock to lock. I cant seem to get mine to reach the stops on the knuckles without that pissy sliding bar reaching the end point , might need some material removed or like you said a whole new steering setup.
northkona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 02:23 PM   #54
RCC Addict

Ya. Wish it turned as sharp as my exo

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:32 PM   #55
Rock Crawler

Just wait. I've got something cooking.
Mine gets here tomorrow and ill see how long it takes to mock up my "better slider"...
elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #56
20K Club

Old 02-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #57
I wanna be Dave

Looking good Harly. Now get rid of those fugly molded in lights on the front and the roof?
dezfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #58
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezfan View Post
Looking good Harly. Now get rid of those fugly molded in lights on the front and the roof?
I've got some carbon fiber here that I want to play with. Yes the front lights gotta go. Roof lights will go with the new roof panel they already made.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:51 PM   #59
Pebble Pounder

Quote:

Ah, a little casting. I like it. Silicone based mold? Hard to tell from the pics. I'm a casting fool!
motomoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:57 PM   #60
20K Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomoto View Post
Ah, a little casting. I like it. Silicone based mold? Hard to tell from the pics. I'm a casting fool!
Plaster of Paris negative and then a Bondo positive. I'll Form over that. I'm a super noob at forming, we'll see if anything worth a Damn comes of it. I don't have high hopes.

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vaterra-twin-hammers/428328-harleys-twin-hammers.html
Posted By For Type Date
Show Posts - B This thread Refback 02-15-2013 09:43 AM
Horizon Hobby? Rock Racer, link This thread Refback 02-14-2013 09:10 PM
The maxbonv KoH Twin Hammers - Pagina 18 - Scalers & Crawlers This thread Refback 02-12-2013 10:05 AM
horizon hobby: Vaterra - page 4 This thread Refback 02-12-2013 07:05 AM

Harley's Twin Hammers - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vaterra Twin Hammers Picture Archive - No talking Rock Concepts Vaterra Twin Hammers 345 03-11-2024 05:55 PM
Twin Hammers are in!!! tunnalram North Dakota 0 02-11-2013 04:08 PM
Twin Hammers Rock Concepts Videos! 4 01-31-2013 02:50 PM